Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Is coconut oil REALLY the best facial moisturiser?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Moon
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 11:46 pm      Reply with quote
David Wolfe seems to think so but I have been using it on my face for about 3 months and I am not sure it is not so much greasy as moisturising. I have broken out like never before on my jaw line and my skin does not look that great.
teago
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 21, 2012 11:49 pm      Reply with quote
Id stop using it. Just because one person says its all you need doesnt mean that its actually right for you.
Many people sing the praises or Coconut, Jojoba, Rosehip etc etc but every one Ive tried has clogged my pores like crazy.
Moon
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2012 4:14 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Id stop using it. Just because one person says its all you need doesnt mean that its actually right for you.
Many people sing the praises or Coconut, Jojoba, Rosehip etc etc but every one Ive tried has clogged my pores like crazy.

Totally Teago. I find exactly the same. What are you using now incidentally?
Firefox7275
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2012 4:25 am      Reply with quote
There is no one moisturiser or oil for every skin type IMO nor suited to every skincare routine or lifestyle. Coconut oil is supposed to be comedogenic due to the fatty acid lauric acid being such a small molecule.

I have skin barrier issues (eczematous, reactive) so my skin responds really well to products containing lanolin - I get a visible plumping! Very Happy But I don't find any lipids absorb well unless combined with a humectant, my skin loves aloe vera.

Sensitivity, forehead pigmentation & elevens, nose & chin clogged pores. Topicals: Aloe vera, squalane, lactic acid, Myfawnie KinNiaNag HG: Weleda calendula, Lanolips, Guinot masque essentiel, Flexitol Naturals, Careprost. Gadgets: Vaughter dermarollers, Lightstim.
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2012 6:06 am      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:
There is no one moisturiser or oil for every skin type IMO nor suited to every skincare routine or lifestyle. Coconut oil is supposed to be comedogenic due to the fatty acid lauric acid being such a small molecule.

ITA with this. There is never 1 best product of any kind for everyone.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2012 7:10 am      Reply with quote
I've never used coconut oil on my skin before, but I've heard that it's very good for the hair. The ladies on a hair forum rave about it.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2012 7:10 am      Reply with quote
Its like most things there are so many different kinds of coconut moisturisers and oils out there, and what I’ve found here in the UK is that the big tubs you can get in stores like Holland & Barrett for example often have other things in them so aren’t just coconut oil. Probably to preserve its shelf life etc, not sure.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2012 7:29 am      Reply with quote
I find mine at my health food stores cold pressed and 100% pure, it has a decent shelf life. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2012 8:03 am      Reply with quote
Cold pressed coconut oil is definitely the best sort to eat. Admittedly mine is organic but not cold pressed. I was thinking it would not make a difference just putting it on my skin but maybe it does.

Neverthless I do take the point that no one moisturiser is good for everyone and am actually really glad I posted this now as I was (maybe nievely) thinking that coconut oil was meant to be the best for everyone Smile

Quote:
I have skin barrier issues (eczematous, reactive) so my skin responds really well to products containing lanolin - I get a visible plumping! But I don't find any lipids absorb well unless combined with a humectant, my skin loves aloe vera.

Interesting Firefox I have never heard of lanolin before but maybe we have similar skin types. I am not sure if I have skin barrier issues as this is a new concept to me but my skin is fair and delicate and environmentally sensitive to be sure - prone to spots, dry patches and tightness caused by any irritants (pollution, stress, wrong food, chemicals in cosmetics etc.) Indeed any suggestions as to a good moisturiser for this sort of skin type would be much appreciated?
sandooch
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2012 9:09 am      Reply with quote
I love pure virgin coconut oil for so many reasons. I use it when I do my Tanaka massage, as a natural deoderant, to heal insect bites and even staph infections, to cook my eggs in the morning and to keep mosquitos from biting. I've read that natives in Hawaii use it as a sunscreen and don't burn. I love my coconut oil! ♥

Tue May 22, 2012 9:58 am      Reply with quote
I have not used coconut oil on my face but I do use moroccan oil. When I use it I only use it every 2 or 3 days. If I used an oil every day as a moisturiser then my skin would be too oily and break out. So, I agree coconut or moroccan oil can be great but maybe try using it every few days. This may help.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2012 10:12 am      Reply with quote
Firefox7275 wrote:

I have skin barrier issues (eczematous, reactive) so my skin responds really well to products containing lanolin - I get a visible plumping! Very Happy But I don't find any lipids absorb well unless combined with a humectant, my skin loves aloe vera.

Hi FireFox, I tried doing some research on reactive acne but had no luck. You mentioned that I may suffer from a similar issue as you... What is it and what do you recommend I would try?
There are days when my skin regimen works great, and then other days when I wake up with tiny white heads... there are days when I reapply sunscreen before leaving work, and by the time I get home, half an hour later, I have 3-4 tiny white heads on my face... Sad
Any insight is appreciated!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2012 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
Moon wrote:
Quote:

Totally Teago. I find exactly the same. What are you using now incidentally?

Right now Im using a Neals Yard moisturiser for dehydrated skin of a morning (first time using today, I follow with SPF15 mineral powder) and then of a night I use Neostrata Ultra Smoothing Cream which I absolutely swear by..keeps my skin 99% clear.
If my skin is feeling a little tight and flaky I use a hydrating gel made for eczema and dermatitis but as Im from Australia I dont think its available overseas.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 22, 2012 5:04 pm      Reply with quote
I don't think skin care is ever a "one size fits all" situation, we all have such unique skin and skin needs!
What works well for one is a horror for another, you need to find what your skin reacts positively to. Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 23, 2012 8:16 am      Reply with quote
I used coconut oil in Winter only.
My son uses it in Summer because of mosiquito.

5% products discount

Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
Coconut oil is pore clogging, good for everything except the face, great for hair.
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:25 pm      Reply with quote
NO
It can be used to draw or leech toxins from the skin or mouth. Heard of mouth gargling?
Other than that purpose, there are far better options to moisturise, nourish, balance, strengthen and brighten the skin than using Coconut oil.

Any aromatherapists will create a skin "serum" with mix of plant oils such as jojoba, sweet almond and borage oil AS A BASE, THEN add skin specific essential oils such as rose, neroli, ylang ylang

If you can't get on to an aromatherapist, Decleor face oils are amongst the best and the best all- round from the range is Rose d Orient.
student201516
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:40 am      Reply with quote
Moon wrote:
David Wolfe seems to think so but I have been using it on my face for about 3 months and I am not sure it is not so much greasy as moisturising. I have broken out like never before on my jaw line and my skin does not look that great.

hi, i really do not think so, in fact i used it too and had breakouts too..
MaryLetson
5% products discount

Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
No. Not for me.
emmaackermann
5% products discount

Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:11 am      Reply with quote
Yes, my personal experience says that coconut oil is an excellent face moisturizer for oily skin and is also used in many beauty products.
chicot
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
Moon wrote:

well, I tried all of them, just mix with body lotion or face cream, they all fine in that way. I guess it's because the low concentration.
leungmy
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:28 am      Reply with quote
Too oily for me
hautcosmetics
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:30 am      Reply with quote
Yes, Coconut oil for skin is an excellent moisturizer, it can penetrate hair better than other oils, and, well, it smells like cookies.
ericnikki1
5% products discount

Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:51 pm      Reply with quote
Hey emmaackermann

I agree with your point. Coconut oil is the best moisturizer for oily skin and for the hair as well.

My hair becomes smooth, silky & Skin has been improved very much after massaging with this oil.

I would highly recommend this.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:39 am      Reply with quote
I was interested in a lot of David's ideas and bought a few books but then went to see him and it put me off completely. His image and body didn't reflect that of someone who is heathy, and into natural living for me personally. He looked somewhat overweight, his hair was messy and untidy and his skin looked strange.

I have dry skin and am in my 70's now, and I tried coconut oil after hearing raves and songs about it. It really didn't work for me. It was heavy and sat on my skin. I gave up very quickly although I tried about 3-4 types of it. Not for me. Weighed my skin down and felt well greasy. Didn't like it at all.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:50 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |