Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

The Sqoom
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using the Merbe for about 3 months. I try to do 2 treatments a week. I pretty much use either the lifting or wrinkle program exclusively. The real reason I only use these programs is because I don't know what kind of product I should use with the other programs.

I looked into ordering some of the Squoom gels but price and having to order from Europe have stopped me. The Squoom gels do not have any preservatives in them so I can't really order in bulk to try to save money on shipping either.

I am also still very careful with the amount of time I spend during a session because of the Merbe using 1 MHz vs 3 MHz. I have to say I have not experienced any problems with the stronger setting. I wanted to mention this though because of previous discussion on EDS about this issue. I do think that there is more current research showing better results with the 1 MHz now but I don't have a link handy. So far the most time I have spent is two 4 minute sessions in a row but will be upping that soon.

I do think I have found some products that I can use for the other programs but don't want to mention what they are till I purchase and have a chance to use them.

So what kind of results have I seen?

An immediate reduction in under eye bags. Mine are fluid based not fat based. I have done some form of lymph drainage massage for almost 2 years, everyday. I was never able to get rid of these totally. When I did an around the eye socket and down the neck move with the Merbe they decreased in size. Within a few days they were totally gone. I still have hollows and my skin is still stretched out where the fluid was but that is getting better all the time. (not the hollows but the stretched skin part)

Decrease in fluid around my jawline. Between this and the Stop I am finally seeing some reduction in my jowls. Not facelift worthy but since nothing worked before I'll take what I can get.

Overall my skin looks fresher after a treatment. It just looks healthier.

So for me the Merbe has done a great job on lymph drainage. It has helped somewhat with lifting but I really think that is a very slow process. I do think it helps a lot with product penetration also and it is a lot easier then rolling with small needles.

It really helped me recover from my last DermaJet treatment a lot quicker then I think I would have without it. I used it on my face and neck and I could actually see the stagnate blood spots going away. That proved to me that it is doing something underneath the skin.

I have got to say that it is boring as all get out to use. You don't feel anything. Somebody on EDS said it is like rubbing the backside of a spoon on your face and that is true. Good thing is a session doesn't take long and doesn't hurt in the least. You are not red or bruised and you can go out right afterwards. It doesn't make your skin anymore sun sensitive unless maybe you are using a Vit A product with it.

So for me it is a keeper. Hopefully I will get even better results as I use more programs and new products with it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Cookie, did you buy your Merbe from ebay, if so same seller as bethany? And what gel are you using with it? Thank you
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:56 pm      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
Hi Cookie, did you buy your Merbe from ebay, if so same seller as bethany? And what gel are you using with it? Thank you

Hi daler- I bought my Merbe off Amazon. Right now I'm using LeMieux O2 calming gel and some Texas beauty institute products. I like the O2 stuff better.

ETA: I mix in some SA coral gel sometimes also.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
Review first impressions:

Last night I did the cleansing, lifting, and wrinkle modes. Initially I thought the lifting/wrinkle results were similar to my cheapie microcurrent, but after about 30 mins I could see increased lifting on the dreaded jowl area. Wrinkle reduction on my forehead was still the same as the microcurrent results though.

When I got up this morning (and throughout today), I could still see a better lift with the Merbe in the jowl area. Shock Forehead wrinkles still sucked, sigh.

Overall I am hoping the jowl results will be longer lasting over time and greater than microcurrent, but we will have to see. Plus I think the product penetration will be better with this unit, based on the studies regarding ultrasound and cavitation. For now I will be doing both the Merbe and the cheapie microcurrent, but I will NOT be looking to upgrade my microcurrent at this point.

Next steps are to do some more research into how to maximize the Merbe functionality, find the best products (purchased or DIY) to use with this, and an assessment of whether or not this product is worth the money. My early read is yes, but there is no need to spend the crazy $900 + crazy expensive gels...but only time will tell.

I'll keep everyone posted as things progress!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:31 am      Reply with quote
My jowl results were so great yesterday that I did them again tonight tonight (mode = lifting) and again I was just blow away. I am wondering how often I can do this without a negative impact in some way?

I think it may kill me, but I am going to stop using this, wait until the ugliness shows it self again, and then take pics so that everyone can see the positive improvement. It's THAT good. Shock Shock Shock

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:06 am      Reply with quote
I can't believe that it is almost 4am and I am looking for any "before" jowl pics that I may have, lol. Unfortunately it looks like I don't have any that would meet certain people's same light and pose demands, so I am going to have to wait and take a new before and after set so I can minimize the comparison whining. Rolling Eyes

So now I have to wait until my new and improved jowls leave the building, sigh. I sure hope my sacrifices are appreciated, lol. Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:31 am      Reply with quote
Morning after observations...forehead lines look a bit better, jowl lift is still there. Glabellas still suck. I really need to break out the Frownies (version with plastic in it) for them to improve since I sleep on my side.

I am going to try and take some before pics today, and will then replicate them in a few weeks and see how things look. While I did get a short term jowl lift, it is going to take more of a lift (and a lasting one), and more line improvement for me to ultimately recommend this device over the cheapie $14 microcurrent.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
Here is an interesting video on how Schick Medical got into business. This pretty much confirmed it for me that they bought the rights to the Fyola unit since they were looking at ultrasound as a potential vehicle to help treat people with skin problems, and in the process "learned" that is was also being used for anti-aging.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aR2kSf6E25k&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DaR2kSf6E25k

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
I have been itching for a gadget for quite sometimes n i think Merbe is going to be the one... I ll resist the temptation for a few more weeks for additional reviews. Thank you everyone!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
Lotusesther wrote:
I see that both Sqoom and Fyola have different 'modes' of ultrasound for different purposes. I would like to know what the differences between these modes are.
Is it a difference in intensity or what?

Basically you select a mode of either ionization or ultrasound (or both), and then you can pick a level of low, medium, or high. I saw in the video I posted above that the medical doctor referred to a range of ultrasound between 1mhz and 1.2mhz, so I assume the levels are maybe 1, 1.1 and 1.2 MHz? But I have not found anything discussing that.

Btw, see Slide 9 in the Fyola manual (link below) for some interesting stats on product penetration at the dermal and epidermal levels when using both ionization and ultrasound at the same time. Very compelling research was done at 2 Japanese universities.

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/98303279/A-clean-and-clear-skin

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Morning after observations...forehead lines look a bit better, jowl lift is still there. Glabellas still suck. I really need to break out the Frownies (version with plastic in it) for them to improve since I sleep on my side.

I am going to try and take some before pics today, and will then replicate them in a few weeks and see how things look. While I did get a short term jowl lift, it is going to take more of a lift (and a lasting one), and more line improvement for me to ultimately recommend this device over the cheapie $14 microcurrent.

Hi Bethany, any noticeable improvement in your marionette lines?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:53 pm      Reply with quote
doodles wrote:
bethany wrote:

Definitely some noticeable improvement...more so than any other area actually. I kind of lumped them into the jowl category, since they lead to the jowls, lol.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:05 pm      Reply with quote
Reading both the Squoom and Fyola manuals there are some differences in instructions listed below.

Fyola says to use Ion setting only on Massage mode. Squoom tells you to use both Ion and Ultra.

Fyola recommends that if you have dry to normal skin to use Ion only on the Cleaning, Massage, Nutrient and Lifting modes. If you have other types of skin it says you can use both the Ion and Ultra settings together. Squoom doesn't mention any settings for different skin types and says to use both Ion and Ultra on all modes.

Fyola says if you press both Low and High together you get medium power. This isn't mentioned anywhere in the Squoom manual. I always assumed when I pressed both I was on the high power setting. I guess not.

Squoom says to use the high setting on Cleaning mode. Fyola doesn't recommend a power.

These I think are the only differences in the instructions.

It did say-
"By using both the Ion and the Ultrasound mode together the results are 70% better than using the single modes separately."

I have been using both together the whole time because the Squoom manual (the only one I ever read) didn't mention anything else. I also have used it with both the low and high power settings on. So I guess this is medium power. I will be switching to high power only and see if I see any differences.

Bethany- did you notice any other differences when reading through the instructions?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:21 pm      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:

Bethany- did you notice any other differences when reading through the instructions?

The Fyola manual also recommends specific routines based on skin type, and also tells you when to use conductive gel vs. a regular skin product (key if you are not using the Sqoom gels).

A take away for me in the Fyola manual was also that they emphasized not using regular ultrasound gel because you don't want to drive parabens, etc. into your skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:46 pm      Reply with quote
FYI that I started treating my neck and chest tonight...Sqoom gels would be HUGE expense on an ongoing basis. Shock

I did pull out my Avene mineral water and spritzed it throughout the treatment to keep the Fyola gel from drying up, and that did help. It looks like Sqoom is recommending something similar, except they are selling pricey vitamin water to go with their gels.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:07 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
FYI that I started treating my neck and chest tonight...Sqoom gels would be HUGE expense on an ongoing basis. Shock

I did pull out my Avene mineral water and spritzed it throughout the treatment to keep the Fyola gel from drying up, and that did help. It looks like Sqoom is recommending something similar, except they are selling pricey vitamin water to go with their gels.

I am doing the same thing with Avene water but I think you can probably use regular water also.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:16 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
doodles wrote:
bethany wrote:

Definitely some noticeable improvement...more so than any other area actually. I kind of lumped them into the jowl category, since they lead to the jowls, lol.

Ya, I guess I didn't give my question much thought Smile. I really appreciate your input Bethany and unfortunately can feel my bank account getting lighter, lol.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:27 pm      Reply with quote
doodles wrote:

Ya, I guess I didn't give my question much thought Smile. I really appreciate your input Bethany and unfortunately can feel my bank account getting lighter, lol.

Actually, I was the one that should have been clearer, because I usually talk about marionette lines instead of jowls!

My only concern with this device right now is figuring out the future HA and gel issue. Once I get that mastered I will feel much better about it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:24 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Lotusesther wrote:
I see that both Sqoom and Fyola have different 'modes' of ultrasound for different purposes. I would like to know what the differences between these modes are.
Is it a difference in intensity or what?

Basically you select a mode of either ionization or ultrasound (or both), and then you can pick a level of low, medium, or high. I saw in the video I posted above that the medical doctor referred to a range of ultrasound between 1mhz and 1.2mhz, so I assume the levels are maybe 1, 1.1 and 1.2 MHz? But I have not found anything discussing that.

I just found these specs on the Sqoom, which I assume are the same for the Merbe:
Quote:

Ultrasound
Frequency 1 MHz to 1.8 MHz
Intensity levels from 0.1 W/cm bis 0.5 W/cm
Ionisation 1 Hz/150 µsec pulse range

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:29 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone!

I was surprised this weeks to get a couple of pms about Sqoom - so I popped in to see this thread!

Yes, I still love my Sqoom. I haven't been using it regularly due to the price of the gels (when I bought the Sqoom, I tried loads of different gels trying to find something cheaper, but none of them were the same quality), but funnily enough I've been back to regular treatments this past month, in prep for my 50th birthday in Nov - going to San Francisco, can't wait!

I never use any of my other gadgets any more, I've found Sqoom outshines them all, so they are all redundant. Keep meaning to eBay them but I'm too lazy. Think I've mentioned before - Tripollar Stop, Baby Quasar etc, none of which hold a candle.

I still *always* take Sqoom on holiday with me. (Why can't they bring out a hard travelling case? The silly thing switches itself on at the lightest touch of anything against it.) There is nothing like it when you've had a late night and your face is a bit puffy in the morning.

This thread just made me go look at the Sqoom website, which I haven't done for over a year. I was so excited to see all the new colours! And the M2! But, it seems they've removed some functionality? (I use the Nutrition setting every time, and the M2 no longer has that).

Also, on the FAQ, I saw this, which is something that keeps coming up:

Quote:
I have heard that devices with 1 MHz ultrasound frequency shouldn’t be used on the face, 3 MHz are better and won’t do any harm.

Concerning the ultrasound frequency, we are talking about an average of 1 MHz (1.000.000 vibrations per second). This frequency is adjusted to reach the promised deep layers of the skin (in our case: the dermis).This frequency is perfectly coordinated in its intensity so that there is no risk of endangering the skin on the face or anywhere else on the body – as long as the operating instructions are obeyed. The common recommendation of a 3 MHz frequency is rather confusing as this frequency is simply not sufficient to reach the necessary depth of the dermis.SQOOM concept has been developed against a medical background, and so it can provide reliable medical basics.

ETA: I see they also have new gels and a water spray. I'm going to order the new hydration gel and spray to try them out - I'm nearly out of my current supply. When I bought my Sqoom, the Schick customer support advised me to spray Avene water on the gel to keep it moist - I guess they decided they could make more money making their own! Laughing
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:00 am      Reply with quote
Hi Karenlee! I was getting ready to pm you myself, so I am glad you popped in!

Question...did you happen to try any other gels using LMW HA? I am contemplating doing DIY since you can now buy HA at lower molecular weights.

Also, where are you buying your Sqoom gels from?

Thanks!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:05 am      Reply with quote
Hi Bethany

I am just about to purchase fromwww.sqoom.de/onlineshop (the official shop).

I purchased from there before - I've looked around but no-one really sells any cheaper, I think they've done some 'price fixing'!

I'm getting the spray, booster, and another gel - comes to £175 + free postage.

Expensive, but I can stop using other serums and night creams...

ETA - no, I never tried other gels. I did look into it at the time (making it up myself) but then decided I'd probably make a hash of it.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
Here is an excellent video where a company called "SkinAgain" is talking about galvanic and ultrasound technologies, how they work together with skin actives, and wha happens with the various settings on the tool. And guess what tool they are using...the Fyola/Sqoom/Merbe.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=azXkE1g9jq4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DazXkE1g9jq4

One of the key things she says is that this device works with most product lines.

Interestingly, the woman in the video describes herself as involved in "vibrational device development," yet she is no longer offering a tool on her SkinAgain website. Probably due to Sqoom taking over the Fyola tool.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
So I bought the Merbe. Shock It came with a Korean plug (no converter) and a BIG container of gel for $264.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Merbe-Ultrasonic-I-on-Anti-Aging-Skin-Care-Face-Manager-EMS-3-6days-Free-/190849168061?pt=US_Skin_Care&hash=item2c6f7f32bd

And then of course AFTER I bought it, I found this one for less than half the cost! ($109!!!!!) Please note that these are supposedly refurbished, so I would look into this more carefully if interested, though they do have 100% positive feedback and a 14 day return policy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Facial-machine-30-Days-Younger-Looking-Skin-Fyola-Old-Model-Original-289-/121160029968?pt=US_Skin_Care&hash=item1c35b35710!

So is there any difference between the original Fyola and the Merbe then? I am so ready to buy one of these! Laughing
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
Here is a video on the Merbe I haven't seen. (it is part of an ebay listing) If you go to the 3:37 mark there are some neat experiments done with water and ink that show you how the ultrasound/galvanic work.

Havana I think they are both the same but I don't think anyone has found the actual specs on the Merbe. They do look exactly the same on the outside.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lotts-Merbe-Ultrasonic-Galvanic-Ion-Massager-HOT-Face-Massager-Made-in-Korea-/181129610487

Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:18 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |