Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

The Sqoom
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:39 am      Reply with quote
Last night was my first use of Merbe that I purchased late Oct.

I DIYed my serum (niacinamide + glucosamine + Vitamin E + a bit of oil + Sea Kelp Ferment) and conductive gel (hyaluronic acid).

I used L mode for 4 minutes on each side of my face.

I know that it is too soon to tell if Merbe is doing me any good and I hope that the benefits are cumulative......as I have a blind faith of it!
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:31 am      Reply with quote
Havana,

thank you so much - just placed the order.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:55 am      Reply with quote
summer2004 wrote:

I DIYed my serum (niacinamide + glucosamine + Vitamin E + a bit of oil + Sea Kelp Ferment) and conductive gel (hyaluronic acid).

I know that it is too soon to tell if Merbe is doing me any good and I hope that the benefits are cumulative......as I have a blind faith of it!

You will want to do the massage + nutrition and alternate with massage + lift to get the best results. Each setting does different things.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:48 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
I contacted them again Friday about purchasing gels and am awaiting a reply. FYI per previous discussions with them that they are not an official distributor since the sqoom is not approved in the US.

Thanks for the info, Bethany! I'm taking a serious look at the Merbe (SQOOM is just so far beyond my budget it's not even funny).

If I've read all the posts correctly, the two vary only in the battery and the fact the Merbe lacks the titanium head? Does anyone know if it's aluminum or stainless steel? I know in the video interview with the woman about the SkinDream Titanium, she mentioned that the "other" devices (assuming she meant Fyola?) that used aluminum had only 85% conductivity of Titanium. I could live with that if it means that it just takes a little longer to get the same result (more patience than money, lol!) But I also wonder if that could mean that the products only penetrate to 85% of the depth that the titanium does, and that would never change. And would that extra depth be the reason for the great results? I'm no scientist so my wondering may be totally off-base.

Also, I've read that steel has poor conductivity, so that would be disappointing if the head were made of that.

I understand that the Fyola came first, then the SQOOM, with the SQOOM people eventually buying up the Fyola, then along came the Merbe. I'm unclear on the difference between the Fyola and the Merbe. I can't believe they'd be exactly the same since wouldn't that violate some kind of patent or licensing agreement? Even at the lower price, the Merbe is still not an inexpensive device so I guess I want to know exactly what I'd be getting. If I missed anything that already posted, would someone be so kind as to fill me in?
Alexya
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
Hi stardust,
Not Bethany, but I believe my Merbe has a titanium head. It sounds like you've got the history right. I think the ebay sellers have the best prices but make sure you get them to toss in some gel to use with it. I think Bethany got a tube of gel with hers, I got some sample sizes of snail product, which I have not used yet.
I try not to follow the trends with gadgets, but I did spring for this one! HTH
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
We did discuss the history and differences between the devices earlier in the thread, but here is a little recap.

Lotts is the company that manufactures all 3 devices:

- The Fyola was the first of the 3 (the Beauly was actually the first type of these devices), and the clinical studies with the university of Japan showing the significant penetration aspect of ultrasound + galvanic was performed on both the Beauly and Fyola versions. So regardless of what they may have tweaked on the Sqoom, the results are there. (See the Lotts link earlier in the thread for the clinical trial results). Fyola is sold in the international market.

- The Merbe is the same as the Fyola, but is sold exclusively in Korea. Trademark info can be seen in the Lotts timeline on their website.

- The Sqoom concept was originally developed from a medical standpoint (the medical devices are much different looking) and I suspect that when they decided to go after the consumer market they asked Lotts to manufacturer them. When asked what the differences were between the Sqoom and the Fyola/Merbe, Sqoom could only point to a different head and battery. However, they said that their gels were the key to the success of their product.

I would definitely recommend reading the rest of the thread as there is a lot of good info from a treatment protocol standpoint. Since the Merbe comes with Korean instructions, you will want to look at the (many different) Sqoom manuals were shared.

HTH!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
summer2004 wrote:

You will want to do the massage + nutrition and alternate with massage + lift to get the best results. Each setting does different things.

Noted, Ms. Beth, thx!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
summer2004 wrote:
bethany wrote:
summer2004 wrote:

Noted, Ms. Beth, thx!

Let me know if you have any questions. I am going to try and pull together a little documentation on each of the settings, since I have some questions myself that I would like to get answered!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
I would definitely recommend reading the rest of the thread as there is a lot of good info from a treatment protocol standpoint. Since the Merbe comes with Korean instructions, you will want to look at the (many different) Sqoom manuals were shared.

HTH!

I've read through all the threads and agree that they are filled with great info. There's so much I actually took notes, thus my wonderings on a couple of points. You've been VERY helpful with your research! I've downloaded the SQOOM english manuals and plan to follow those directions since the units are so similar.

I have a Merbe on the way! I came across a used one on eBay for about $100 less than a new one. The seller is even being so kind as to give me an adapter (that wasn't part of the listing). She's in the US, and said she just didn't have time to use it so it's like new (and it looks like she just bought it this summer from the same seller Bethany got hers from).

I can't say how happy I am about that adapter! I was just getting ready to type up a help request here (I searched on Amazon and the listings were not exactly simple to understand) when I got her message that she'd be sending that too.

Now I need to research the products threads. My initial plan is to use the SQOOM products since those seem to be so good, but I'm still reading (and reading, and reading...)
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:48 pm      Reply with quote
stardustgirl wrote:
I have a Merbe on the way! I came across a used one on eBay for about $100 less than a new one. The seller is even being so kind as to give me an adapter (that wasn't part of the listing). She's in the US, and said she just didn't have time to use it so it's like new (and it looks like she just bought it this summer from the same seller Bethany got hers from).

That was a steal! I think you will find that it is a very high quality device, and you will definitely get more bang for your buck with your actives.

Regarding the pricey Sqoom gels....I think they are very useful IF:
- You are looking to soften lines by filling up the HA levels within your skin...their specific sized HA molecules are optimized for this purpose
- You are using one of the MedGels for a specific reason (like I am using the RO gel for a decrease in redness)

However, if you are only looking to increase penetration of other skin products, then I think you are fine using other alternatives like DIY HA gel, serums, etc. It just comes down to what your goals are.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:

That was a steal!

I was happy ('Very Happy') I've got my fingers crossed because I had a couple of not-as-advertised eBay transactions recently, but I'm hopeful for this one.

Quote:
Regarding the pricey Sqoom gels....I think they are very useful IF:
- You are looking to soften lines by filling up the HA levels within your skin...their specific sized HA molecules are optimized for this purpose
- You are using one of the MedGels for a specific reason (like I am using the RO gel for a decrease in redness)

However, if you are only looking to increase penetration of other skin products, then I think you are fine using other alternatives like DIY HA gel, serums, etc. It just comes down to what your goals are.

I'm kind of in both camps. I do have a proclivity to redness (English/Irish, would burn fast if I didn't wear long sleeves and a hat all summer) that I'd love to tone down. Plus I've been so dry this winter (the weather has been evil, thus lots of the furnace running) that I figure tanking up on some HA would help. Since the SQOOM gels sound like they work well, I figured they'd be good to use to give me the best idea of how well a Merbe works for me.

At some point I'd like to venture into some DIY to see if I can maintain whatever results I get. I've only tried a couple of DIY ventures, and the results were "meh". My skills aren't ready for the big time. Laughing
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:17 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
havana8 wrote:
Are there English instructions for the Merbe somewhere? I'm finally charging mine up and notice that the enclosed booklets are in Korean with occasional English words / headings. TIA!

Havana, here are 2 to get you started. FYI that the Merbe is the same as the Sqoom M1 and the older Fyola.

Quote:
Sqoom Manual (since the Merbe manual is in Korean):
http://www.sqoom.com/uploads/media/105.201303.EN-SQOOM_antiAge_manual-portrait.pdf

Orginal Fyola Manual (differs a bit from Sqoom manual above):
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/98303279/A-clean-and-clear-skin

Mine comes with a Korean manual too.

Thx Beth for sharing the manual with us.

One question:

Do you guys select both Ion & Ultra mode when you do Massage?

The said 2 manuals suggest us that we'd select both modes.

However, page 8 of the document - http://www.docstoc.com/docs/98303279/A-clean-and-clear-skin ; it says that "Select only the ultrasonic mode when massaging".

In the same document - page 10, it says "Using both the ultrasound and ion mode the result is 70% better than using the single modes
separately."

I am a bit confused; are you?
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:01 am      Reply with quote
Summer, I select both when I do everything, because unless you are using the cleaning mode (pulls dirt out of pores), there is still some pushing of actives into your skin and using both ion and ultra increases that penetration.

There is a different % of push vs pull (the ion aspect) for each of the modes, and that is what I want to document. I'll see if I can look into that today.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:31 am      Reply with quote
Beth,

From the illustration, it states that +/- ions & ultrasonic waves work together; as such, I would use both modes.

Thanks!
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
summer2004 wrote:
Beth,

From the illustration, it states that +/- ions & ultrasonic waves work together; as such, I would use both modes.

Thanks!

Yep...that is exactly what I am doing!

Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, first time here.
I've recently purchased a Merbe (thank you to all those who have shared their valuable insight)and I usually formulate all my own products. I've been doing a lot of research on the Sqoom gels and found something I thought you all may find enlightening. As a thanks I thought I would share.

I think the magic ingredient in the Hyagel is actually the combo of Xylitylglucoside & Anhydroxylitol & Xylitol aka Aquaxyl.
Naturally I can not find a source for home formulators so I think I will be buying the Hyagel. I think the HA has some use in the product but based on the info, I'm not convinced its the real secret behind the good results.

I have found few other product lines that use Aquaxyl and none in gel form. It would be great to find something because the price and the shipping to the US for the Hyagel is way too high for what it contains.

Thought I'd throw this out there for those trying to decide what products to use.

~Kris
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
bspanky wrote:
I think the magic ingredient in the Hyagel is actually the combo of Xylitylglucoside & Anhydroxylitol & Xylitol aka Aquaxyl.

Very interesting...I will have to go read about this further. Thanks for sharing and welcome!!!

ETA: here is a link on it:

http://www.seppic.com/file/galleryelement/pj/48/bb/21/23/2484eaquaxylleafletgbseptember2412536540329328273.pdf

Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:02 pm      Reply with quote
Anyone else hear a slight buzz when using the Merbe over certain spots on the face? hmm
Alexya
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, I hear it when it goes near my lower back teeth. I have some dental work back there so wondered if that was causing it. Question
havana8

Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:39 pm      Reply with quote
I'm glad I'm not the only one, Alexya! I have one filling on my upper left side but hear the buzz on certain spots on my forehead, on the lower jaw area (both left and right) near my ears as well as directly above the lip area. Although there appears to be enough "slip", I wonder if perhaps I am not using enough gel? It feels like I am using a lot already but I'll have to experiment with that on my next go round.
stardustgirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:39 pm      Reply with quote
bspanky wrote:

Naturally I can not find a source for home formulators so I think I will be buying the Hyagel.

Awesome! I'm not a practiced DIY'er but I did run across this source after searching on Aquaxyl. No idea if it's useful to you, but here it is:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Diy-moisturizing-raw-material-aquaxyl-bick-the-deep-moisturizing-agent-10/1123091272.html

I did find some products using Aquaxyl in a gel, but have yet to sleuth out all their ingredients and other details as it's late and my eyes have had too much screen time today.

The names are Mamonde Aqua Fresh, and Dr. G Gowoonsesang Actifirm Recovery Toner.

http://dieselshop.blogspot.com/2013/03/mamonde-aqua-fresh-moisture-soothing_26.html

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-G-Gowoonsesang-Actifirm-Recovery-Toner/dp/B006IUVB7W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1387512983&sr=8-3&keywords=aquaxyl+gel

It would be nice to find something that is a more reasonable price. I don't want to do that at the expense of results, but I don't want to waste money either.
bspanky

Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:00 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustgirl:
Fabulous!! You have mad searching skills! I searched all day and never came across this. I did find a good possibility that others may find interesting. I can't post the link but if you search Mediheal Aqua on Ebay there is that one and a few others that may be nice and affordable options. From what I can tell of the ingredients, they look pretty good, but I am a little suspicious of Korean products because they don't list preservatives.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:06 pm      Reply with quote
bspanky wrote:
I did find a good possibility that others may find interesting. I can't post the link but if you search Mediheal Aqua on Ebay there is that one and a few others that may be nice and affordable options. From what I can tell of the ingredients, they look pretty good, but I am a little suspicious of Korean products because they don't list preservatives.

Here you go:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0%26_nkw=Mediheal+Aqua%26_sacat=0%26_from=R40

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:26 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
bspanky wrote:
I did find a good possibility that others may find interesting. I can't post the link but if you search Mediheal Aqua on Ebay there is that one and a few others that may be nice and affordable options. From what I can tell of the ingredients, they look pretty good, but I am a little suspicious of Korean products because they don't list preservatives.

Here you go:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0%26_nkw=Mediheal+Aqua%26_sacat=0%26_from=R40

Here are the ingredients from one of the ebay listing from Bethany's link.

: Aqua double complex 275mg (Xylitylglucoside), Anhydroxylitol, xylitol, snail mucus ultrafiltrate), phyto oligo (hollyhock and aloe vera leaf), ceramide, arbutin, adenosine.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:29 am      Reply with quote
There's also a South African brand - dermaboratory - there body lotion with evening primrose oil has the same ingredients
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:12 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |