Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

sebaceous hyperplasia
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
jwaduveev
5% products discount

Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
I went back and re-read Havanna's post and saw that she had already identified the Skin Classic.

I can't find much specific information on the Therma-Lo. I didn't see it referred to anywhere as an RF device, just as an electro-cautery. The two are different, aren't they? (I'm embarrassed by my scientific ignorance!)
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:55 pm      Reply with quote
jwaduveev wrote:
Has anybody tried single-needling SH? Dermarolling seems to have made mine shrink a bit.

I'm afraid I can never leave my SH alone - so, if you can classify pricking them with a needle and squeezing as "single-needling", then I never stop. In truth, this causes a more unsightly mess than the SH themselves. As a matter of fact, I "operated" on my forehead last night and this morning have woken up with red marks all over the place. I've found that this is only a temporary fix because they all come back. And, yes, I do use a dermaroller.

5% products discount

Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:09 pm      Reply with quote
LOL, we're on the same surgical schedule. I did my cheek this morning, exactly like you described!
Alexya
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone tried Obagi on SH? I have it too, but apparently a mild case. My derm used electrocautery on a few spots, which hurt like crazy, but it didn't make them all disappear, Mine look like small flesh colored bumps except for one in my eye area that looks like a pink inverted volcano.
Has anyone tried anything new lately?
jwaduveev
5% products discount

Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
I did use Obaji for a few months after having a blue peel. I saw some but not huge improvement and of course some of that improvement was due to the peel.

I looked for a Lamprobe around here and couldn't find any. Everyone I checked with was insistent that the hyfrecator was the way to go. I've tried that and saw minimal, if any, improvement. I'm hoping that Keliu will try the Lamprobe and give a review.

I'm keeping my SH under control through the use of Retin A, peels, and dermarolling but still haven't found anything really effective. Paula's Choice 9% BHA has been beneficial, but the most helpful thing for me was going through menopause; I have dry skin for the first time in my life.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:20 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for posting that. I am starting again on Retin A Micro, and doing a peel similar to the Obagi system, where it takes its time to dry and peel. I'll keep that up and see what it does.
I did write to Sarah about the dermarolling after I tried the single needle, and she said she did not think it would help. I guess it's a case by case basis, and there's obviously NOT a definite answer yet.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:47 am      Reply with quote
The Cutera Excel V did help them and the rosacea. Now that I am recovered, I am going for a touch-up of a cluster that has been difficult to treat on my upper cheek next Saturday.She did not want to go too aggressive the first time.
I have stopped the Finacea, Oracea and Differin. None of them did anything for them or the rosacea.
I am still having breakouts, but I am going into my derm mid-March (could not get in sooner) and I am going to request the short-term low-dose of Accutane.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:58 am      Reply with quote
I hope that works for you. Is the Cutera a "cool" laser?
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:57 pm      Reply with quote
jwaduveev wrote:
I did use Obaji for a few months after having a blue peel. I saw some but not huge improvement and of course some of that improvement was due to the peel.

I looked for a Lamprobe around here and couldn't find any. Everyone I checked with was insistent that the hyfrecator was the way to go. I've tried that and saw minimal, if any, improvement. I'm hoping that Keliu will try the Lamprobe and give a review.

I'm keeping my SH under control through the use of Retin A, peels, and dermarolling but still haven't found anything really effective. Paula's Choice 9% BHA has been beneficial, but the most helpful thing for me was going through menopause; I have dry skin for the first time in my life.

I found Paula's Choice 9% bha very helpful with clogged pores. I think it is a great preventative. I have a large one on my forehead that has been there years. It is hidden with my bangs so I don't really stress about it. I just don't want any new ones! I keep applying and hopefully it will reduce that SH.

Paula offers samples on all her skin care.

I will be 52 and still have nasty TOM; I am actually looking forward to menopause and if I have nicer skin (not so oily!)....bonus!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
Autumn, do you feel the Paula's Choice 9% keeps new SH from popping up, or have you noticed it working to diminish what you already have?
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
My DIY cleansing oil helps clogged pores and possibly SH. I posted this originally over skin care about clogged pores.

I have had oily skin forever. Still at 51, I am battling clogged pores. I also have SH. Most are NOT visible to anyone. One is, but it is on my forehead and covered with bangs.

Oil cleansing helped with clogged pores. I would massage it in (gently) and I could feel clogs coming out. I use a DIY oil cleanser. I feel it is a great preventative fore SH.

Basic recipe:
90% oil*
up to 10% emulsifier. I buy mine from Garden of Wisdom.
http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/catalog/item/4032845/7039318.htm

*Also on GOW site is information about oils. I also bought one of the oil sampler kits. Small bottles and a chance to try oils at a reasonable cost.

I am currently using grapeseed oil and apricot oil in my DIY mix.

I would be careful with the OCM (Oil cleansing Method) that recommends steam. If prone to broken caps (like me) it can make things worse. I like a cleansing oil that has a emulsifier. It rinses clean.

If you don't want to mix your own, I highly recommend one from Silk Naturals. I bought the SN one and then decided to just DIY. It is three ingredients (the same in my DIY). Samples are available for low cost of all the skin care.

Edit to add: oil cleansing is really the only thing that removes water resistant sunscreen completely but gently. I wear sunscreen year round and mineral makeup.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
Alexya wrote:
Autumn, do you feel the Paula's Choice 9% keeps new SH from popping up, or have you noticed it working to diminish what you already have?

I think the Paula's Choice is a great preventative. It DOES work on clogged pores. (Oil cleansing does also. Separate post.)

The one on my forehead has been there for years. I don't expect PC to do anything for it; but I keep applying. My skin does look smoother; less clogs, etc.

I would suggest a sample. The sample comes in a little vial and should last you a couple of weeks.

I bought the full size. For me, it does work for clogged pores. (For that reason alone; I will repurchase.) I think it is more of a preventative product.

If the one on the forehead does shrink; I will certainly post about it. It would be a miracle!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:21 pm      Reply with quote
Autumn, it sounds as if we have the same skin issues. My skin is oily too. SH is basically under control, but the one under my eye is the one I am always trying to remove, as it's the most noticeable. I am currently using an obagi type DIY with layers of acids plus my RAM. I'll let you know how that works.
I have used the Paula's Choice "clear" cleanser and toner for many years and did get a sample of the 9%.
I do use oil cleansing to remove my SS but right now can't use traditional style of OCM due to need to avoid the heat. I like jojoba and grapeseed oil, and also use almond oil for regular SS removal- it's very light . Smile
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:35 am      Reply with quote
Alexya wrote:
Autumn, it sounds as if we have the same skin issues. My skin is oily too. SH is basically under control, but the one under my eye is the one I am always trying to remove, as it's the most noticeable. I am currently using an obagi type DIY with layers of acids plus my RAM. I'll let you know how that works.
I have used the Paula's Choice "clear" cleanser and toner for many years and did get a sample of the 9%.
I do use oil cleansing to remove my SS but right now can't use traditional style of OCM due to need to avoid the heat. I like jojoba and grapeseed oil, and also use almond oil for regular SS removal- it's very light . Smile

Tell me more about your Obagi DIY with layers of acids. Where did you order this?

I am willing to give this a try.

My SH is flesh coloured and slightly raised. I can't do much to make it less noticeable other than keep my bangs over it.

Any opinions on RX retinA type products? Would these help on an existing one? Or really just as a preventative?

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:52 am      Reply with quote
There are lots of good retinol products. The least expensive is ROC. Paula's choice has a nice product called Resist. You can call their customer service and ask them about all their retinol products and they'll be happy to recommend one.
I follow the system outlined on the blog " Butterfly Kisses" which uses substitute products except for Obagi blender (she uses Blender for the HQ percentage) to give you a morning and evening routine. You will still need the Retin A.The person who does this blog is not a doctor but a DIY skin care person. She was her own guinea pig and it seemed to work well for her. Still I love reading all the Obagi threads for an accurate idea of what happens. If you haven't used RA before on your own you should consult a doctor for the prescription and ask questions about the rest of it. To me, Obagi is pretty intense for someone who has not done their own peels so I would not recommend using the duplicate products without experience.

I'll have to say the best idea is to always consult a doctor before using such an intense regimen for your skin.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:02 am      Reply with quote
No, I did have aseries of Cool Touch Lasers but they did not work at all. Very easy, painless and supposed to promote collagen growth although it showed no results after 6 treatments.
The Excel V is a more intense and much more painful version of an IPL, directly targeting rosacea, redness and broken caps. It does zap the SH as well.
I am going next Saturday for a followup on 2 spots that needed a touchup, but this time I am taking a Zanax or Valium and a hydracodone. I am not going through that again without something to take the edege off.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:16 am      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
No, I did have aseries of Cool Touch Lasers but they did not work at all. Very easy, painless and supposed to promote collagen growth although it showed no results after 6 treatments.
The Excel V is a more intense and much more painful version of an IPL, directly targeting rosacea, redness and broken caps. It does zap the SH as well.
I am going next Saturday for a followup on 2 spots that needed a touchup, but this time I am taking a Zanax or Valium and a hydracodone. I am not going through that again without something to take the edege off.

Thanks for posting this. I knew lasers could be helpful for redness, broken caps, etc. but did not read anything about lasers and SH.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know why doctors aren't better about pain relief when doing these procedures. That stuff hurts!!! You usually don't need help with pain afterward, but during the procedure, why not? Maybe a doctor or someone that works with one can address this.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:44 am      Reply with quote
And I have had 7 or so IPl's and although painful or uncomfortable, nothing like this. I am not a wimp with pain and needles after several lengthy hospital stays, so most things do not bother me.
I have found since the laser, the SH are non-existent. Now, I am monitoring that to see if they come back, that is always the issue when I had them burnt off before.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:59 am      Reply with quote
That is great news Annie,Keep us posted! I am encouraged.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:04 am      Reply with quote
I just read about injecting with lactic acid 80 as a way to break them up. I have two of these stubborn things on my face and am thinking of giving it a go, using an insulin syringe, and the tiniest amount of acid. Rolling Eyes
annacarla
5% products discount

Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:04 am      Reply with quote
omg I had SH from having acne since high school on my nose. Even though I stopped having acne it still looked like as though I had some still because of the bumps. even make up can't cover them because well they are bumps lol.

What worked was retinol, I had cortisone injection on the spots coupled with electro cautery. I had six sessions and it was gone yaay!!

The bumps are gone but now I'm left with scar tissue on my nose and large pores because the scar tissue made the outline of the pores bigger (as my dermatologist said). But it's better than bumps because you can hide them now.

So it's scar tissue and big pores, so what has to be addressed is getting rid of the tissue and closing the pores. Derma rolling will help the big pores but not the scar tissue so the option is either Fraxel of Pixel to actually burn holes rather than poke them inturn getting rid of the scar tissue and closing the big open pores.

It's expensive, I had 1 session of pixel, hmm you need atleast 5 sessions to actually see something. Now I'm gonna try Paula's choice BHA 9 to see if it will close the pores and hopefully (crosses fingers) do something with the scar tissues.
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:11 am      Reply with quote
annacarla wrote:
Derma rolling will help the big pores but not the scar tissue so the option is either Fraxel of Pixel to actually burn holes rather than poke them inturn getting rid of the scar tissue and closing the big open pores.

Hi annacarla, I think that dermarolling can help with scar tissue. I have read in my research where it helps with burn marks, especially if they are fresh. A burn mark is scar tissue. I know Dr. F wrote about some research he did with burn victims. Of course nothing works for everybody but it might be worth a try since it is much cheaper then Fraxel or Pixel.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:15 am      Reply with quote
This is interesting… Osmosis has added an entry on SH to their Testimonial Tuesday blog: http://blog.osmosisskincare.com/2013/02/testimonial-tuesday-sebaceous.html
mike4311

Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:31 pm      Reply with quote
Hey everyone, coming from this thread: www(dot)essentialdayspa(dot)com/forum/viewthread(dot)php?p=6495420#6495420

Is this sebaceous hyperplasia?
It seems like it so far.

If it is, then I can tell you:
- Single Needling w/ Super CP serum did not work. It did make it scab a little bit and for a moment it seemed like it was getting better, but once it recovered, it came back healthy and bigger than ever(not a good thing at all).
- Dermarolling did not work.
- I been on differen for over 4 years now, they control my acne but no effect on SH.
- SmoothBeam absolutely DOES NOT work. Wasted so much money with that treatment.
- Tca and other type of chemical peel also did not work.

I'm gonna try TCA cross on one of them, other than that, I am purely STUCK.

As for other derms and laser treatments, no one in my area could give me a reasonable solution.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:14 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |