Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
sebaceous hyperplasia
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:12 am      Reply with quote
My accutane dose was super low and every 2-3 days. Enough to where my pores shrank and my skin looked amazing.
But yes, they should have your blood work and adjust accordingly.
I haven't tried B5 yet but I have taken spiro here and there in the past.
MY SH didn't rear its ugly head until after menopause.

Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:21 am      Reply with quote
Annie..Do you still have S.H. or did it come back after accutane? Is it controlled now? I believe the B5 and tazOracle .05 is really helping with the oil. I will say..when I had the laser procedure I had to stop the tazorac for 3 weeks and I had tons more oil. Once back on it a few weeks it helped again .
I have heard Spiro helps. Did it take yours away? Why did you stop and also does Spiro cause hair loss? I'm pretty sure I'm premenapausal. Just waiting for blood work. Fun fun!
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:54 am      Reply with quote
I only take B vitamins right now. My SH doesn't bother at all really. They are pretty dormant but I get regular IPL's too which help. I try not to take the spiro bc it messes with my hormones.

Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
What does the IPL do for you? Do you have rosacea? It's funny. .I had IPL done yesterday for the 1st time just on my nose. I just told my doc that I would like some of the tiny vessel's treated. I'm telling you..it hurt! Lol. I'm not sure if it did anything or what it's for. Do you do your whole face and what's the benifit?
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, I do the whole face and evens out the skin tone and also tones down my rosacea.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
Great to hear things are improving for you missyred.
I have reduced my B5 intake by .500 to 1.5grams a day and 250ml of l carnitine.

Things are still going well for me and my oil and SH are still under control.
I have had no noticeable side effects at all and will continue to take the vitamins as long as they keep working for me.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:00 am      Reply with quote
Does the B5 help in reducing pore size as well?

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:21 pm      Reply with quote
For me personally my skin is less oily and my pores are smaller. I have copied and pasted the following from the internet.I do not have acne but do believe strongly that oil production and SH are linked.

Vitamin B5 and Acne

If there is a deficiency of vitamin B5, the body may try to compensate by producing more oil and therefore lead to acne. A proper intake of vitamin B5 can decrease this excess oil content in the body. When vitamin B5-rich foods are added to the diet or a supplement taken, it can cause old acne to disappear. Vitamin B5 clears acne in adults and teens – from all over the body and face. Apart from reducing oil production, pore size is also reduced.

"Vitamin B5 medications

Doctors usually prescribe 5-10mg vitamin B5 to their patients if it is given as a separate drug. An excess can result in stomach problems, in which case the dosage will be reduced. These side effects can be reduced by combining vitamin B5 with L-carnitine. Since vitamin B5 decreases oil production, it can cause dry skin. Vitamin B5 must not be taken if you suffer from hemophilia for the time taken for bleeding to stop can increase."

There is much info out there suggesting pore size is reduced when taking B5
maria_70s

Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
Yes, I do the whole face and evens out the skin tone and also tones down my rosacea.

Hello I ve just been diagnosed by my dermatologist with SH. I have been reading online to see how to deal with it. I am 41. I have been looking around for someone who does SKin Classic near me, no luck yet. What is the IPL treatment? Is it standard for a dermatologist to perform on you? Do I ask for this? I don't know if its related, but my dermatologist put me on Adapalene (Differin) and Clindamycin topical lotions together. It was after using these, I either developed or noticed the small bumps. So after 2 months of that I returned to Dermatologist who said it was SH and I couldn't do much for it. He said there were procedures but high investment and not a lot of success. I went off those two lotions--figured I'd give my skin a break. That has been very discouraging. I have tried the Peppermint oil for one week. Not a huge difference.
I have just started the B5 (Pantothenic acid) supplements. With L-carnatine daily (taking Hemp's suggestions on this forum).
I am trying to see another dermatologist to get a second opinion. What kind of procedure should I ask for? If Skin Classic doesn't seem like an option near me?
Such a stressful thing to develop, especially because it feels like from many of the online forums it seems like nothing works consistently. Stress definitely plays a part in this--and yet part of the stress comes from the bumps themselves. Thanks for the encouraging conversations here..
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:36 am      Reply with quote
You can certainly request an IPL but not every doctor/derm does them. Not a standard in the treatment at all! Most derms zap them individually with a laser but I don't know what that is called.
You can find someone who does an IPL pretty easy. The strength of the zap is what matters though. A beauty-grade light zap wont get very deep or strong enough results.
Stress can aggravate them so meditation, yoga and any stress reducers are advised!
Smile

Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you! This is frustrating as I try to find a doctor to for sure confirm that I have SH.
For IPL does that get rid of the sebum? I assume the doctors know what level of IPL is needed to remove the oil.
Is Skin Classic not a usual treatment? I have seen it referenced on here, but I can't find people close to me who do this.
How long do I need to leave for healing from these processes? (Like IPL or Skin Classic)
Do I trust an aesthetician to work on the SH or stick with a dermatologist? I have read about an Aesthetician near me who does do Skin Classic.

If I work to get on Accutane--do I also need to treat the bumps themselves via IPL?
Such a frustrating process, I know stress causes it, and then is only made worse by trying to find a way of addressing the issue over the summer, before I have to go start a new job in September (And can't take breaks).
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
I will try and answer but in general for all of those it depends on who is doing the procedure (IPL). Everyone is different and every person who does it is as well.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:28 am      Reply with quote
Hi everybody.
Thought I should post today as I have Been to see the skin classic guy today.
I went in their confident in my skin. He has been treating me for 3 years and with the naked eye he said he was amazed how improved and good my skin looked. That was the good news.
He uses a large magnifying glass and bright light to look at my skin which is a severe examination. The bad news is I still have them. Small and barely visible to the naked eye but there all the same.
It has been over a year since I last saw him and he has treated them all (approx 40 all told) but I must stress very small SH.I was told that without exception people always have a lot more of them than they think they have. They are there but not grown enough to be obvious.
It has driven home to me that this condition is very much ongoing and it looks like I will be having this done every year forever or until I just don't care anymore.
I still believe I am doing all I can to minimize them so that they do not impact on my quality of life.
Because they were small the treated SH should heal in a week or so and then I will forget about them for another year.
I try not to get down about them now. It doesn't help to stress as we all know .
I do feel sad for people new to this thread because I have been there. You want answers but with SH it's not always what you want to here.
So to recap guys , once you have them they will not go away on there own. You have to get them removed some way and then keep them in check.
The only exception to this I understand is Accutane which is apparently a miracle cure as long as you are taking it.This obviously has it's own risks though and is very difficult to obtain, certainly here in the UK.
I hope people keep posting on this thread , there is great comfort to be had.
maria_70s

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:30 am      Reply with quote
Thank you Hemp for weighing in. The conversations here have been so helpful especially because you have all shared the emotional-stress journey of dealing with this. I assume I am dealing with this, although I have a lot of them, so we'll see. I am going to a place this week that does offer 1450 Diode laser for SH. I hope that I can have some sort of idea about how to address these quickly.
Has anyone found sunscreen that helps and doesn't make more? Or do you avoid the sun altogether?
I have been using Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne scrub with 2% salicyclic Acid 2 times a day.
And nothing else.
I had been using a Clean and Clear acne control moisturizer but I just feel like I am putting too much on my skin.
Some days I feel like I should be moisturizing, and others I think, I want to reduce the oil production.
Has anyone had real luck with Peppermint essential oil? I was mixing it with Vegetable Glycerin as the carrier oil. But as I read earlier by Hemp, it seems like I want to reduce oil production.
Thanks again, I have hope in the doctor's visit this week, hoping to get some direction.
hemp
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:22 am      Reply with quote
Let us know how it goes with the doc maria.
Peppermint oil didn't do anything for me but sting a lot I'm afraid.
As for the oil , there is no science behind it but oily skin is a very common trait with people who have SH , therefore it makes sense to reduce oil production if you can.
Don't lose hope though. If you could compare my skin today to what it was 3 years ago you would see a huge difference. Although I don't believe I will ever be free of them I am confident that I can keep them under control so that they are not noticeable.
Taliesmama

Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
Did the laser remove the SH? Live in Palm Beach. Considering going to Dr. Gregory. 71 and still getting them. My whole life has revolved around my skin. I am depressed more than ever. Used electrocautery. No real improvement. Used Skin Classic. Came back.
havana8

Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:11 am      Reply with quote
https://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/369144-aconmel-for-sebaceous-hyperplasia/

Has anyone else used Aconmel for SH?
havana8

Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:18 am      Reply with quote
Sebaceous hyperplasia: systemic treatment with isotretinoin

Abstract: The study aimed to verify the therapeutic action of isotretinoin in the treatment of sebaceous hyperplasia. During two months, 20 patients with sebaceous hyperplasia took isotretinoin at a dosage of 1mg/kg per day. Their skin lesions were counted and photographed before and after treatment and re-evaluated two years later. The average number of sebaceous hyperplasia lesions before treatment was 24 per patient. At the end of two months of therapy, the number of lesions decreased to 2 per patient. The statistically analyzed data showed a reduction in the number of lesions following isotretinoin use (p < 0.05). Two years after the end of the treatment, the average number of sebaceous hyperplasia lesions was 4 per patient. There were no severe side effects. Thus, the data analysis suggests that isotretinoin is a safe and effective drug for treating the disease under study.

Full study here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4371670/[b]
havana8

Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:37 am      Reply with quote
Osmosis is suggesting that a strain of candida causes sebaceous hyperplasia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adj5Dqvxzzk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9WC6WVyvUc&feature=youtu.be
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:32 am      Reply with quote
I have never even heard of Aconmel. Thats interesting! Is it over the counter or a RX?
I have tried taken candida cleanse but it didn't seem to make a difference, but I wasn't paying attention to the SH.

Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:07 am      Reply with quote
I've never heard of it either, Annie. If you do happen to find out more about it, please let us know. Smile
maria_70s

Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hello--I am so sorry summer was absolutely crazy stressful. SO I was diagnosed with some SH but majority was acne on my forehead/cheeks. I've been taking Clindamycin Phosphate/Benzoyl Peroxide Gel and a Glycolic moisturizing cleanser.they couldnt do smoothbeam until my tan faded fully. so maybe in next month i can get that done. That is so expensive though! Not covered by insurance which I find frustrating.
I have to be more regular about the Pantothenic Acid to shrink the pores. Again skin issues are so frustrating. Last acne facial I had I still have lots of clogged pores so I need to deep clean this skin pretty regularly.
I am so grateful for these conversations, I get back on when I am stressed about my face, and checking in with people that have hope for long term change renews my belief that this too shall pass.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
I have never even heard of Aconmel. Thats interesting! Is it over the counter or a RX?
I have tried taken candida cleanse but it didn't seem to make a difference, but I wasn't paying attention to the SH.

Acnomel is OTC sulfur acne treatment. I am not sure how it could help SH. Available in drugstores or Amazon.

Link and ingredients:

https://theonlinedrugstore.com/adult-acne-acnomel-tinted-cream-1-3-oz/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&scid=scplp1455591&sc_intid=1455591&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlp7ij7S31wIV1bbACh1_wAewEAYYASABEgL5h_D_BwE

5% products discount

Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:21 am      Reply with quote
I found this site/thread a few months ago when I discovered I had SH. I initially thought I had warts until I heard someone mention SH in a forum thread about flat warts somewhere!

Just thought I’d now add my story as this was a useful piece of reference material for me so hopefully I can add to it for the benefit of others who are diagnosed in the future.

I’m a 42 male and I started getting the tiny dots 10 years ago. I’ve had a fair bit of sun exposure and always had oily skin and bad acne in my teens/twenties which I blame for the problem. There is no family history.

The dots grew bigger and more and more dots appeared over time. The largest SH was like a large wart as one would see on a finger etc. The others ranged in size.

I tried all the usual topical treatments that are recommended (e.g. peppermint oil) but none of them work. I’ve also never really consumed dairy etc. I eventually went to the same place as the poster “Hemp” in Winchester UK for the Skin Classic or ACP treatment as it was called here. The guy there basically said that none of that stuff would work and the only way to treat it is with the ACP. There is laser but he cautioned me about the risk of scarring plus of course it is considerably more costly.

Anyway my ACP treatment cost £200 GBP which included £25 consultation fee up front and then £175 on the day. I counted around 80 scabs afterwards.

Most of the scabs had fallen off after a week but it was really two weeks before I couldn’t really tell I’d had it done. End result is that the treatment is highly successful with all the SH gone. I just look massively improved over how I was 2 weeks ago before the treatment so I am really happy and glad I had it done.

The one giant wart sized SH is probably about 5% of it’s original depth and I put that down to the ACP only working at a shallow depth (hence no risk of scarring) but of course the big one was protruding so much that the treatment couldn’t quite take it below skin level. Still it is not really visible to the naked eye and hopefully it can be fully eliminated next.

There will be a next time as a really close up look reveals I do have others on the way but you would almost need a magnifying glass to see them. A third party would never know I had SH, even if really close to me.

Next time should be far cheaper as he said around £75. He said I wouldn’t see him for a year but as I am OCD about it and can afford it easily, I will go back in the autumn. Better to get them when they are very small before they are visible at normal distances and so the healing is quicker. I left it too long to get treated really (granted I didn’t know what I had) and there were just too many to treat the first time and once the skin starts going red as you get the bigger ones, you won’t see those that are just tiny dots. So I think I might have a couple of appointments at 6 monthly intervals to get on top of it and then I can revert to annual appointments.

So yes I agree with everything Hemp said. Skin Classic or ACP is the way to go although I think you need someone who is skilled at it, so best go to a decent clinic and not some dodgy place. Anything else is just a waste of time and money. I will report back if the treated SH return although so long as they don’t return in six months I’m happy! My boss is happy for me to work from home during the healing periods (10 days - treated on Thursday, return to work a week on Monday) so it’s no problem.

Any questions regarding more detailed explanations of what happened and I am happy to answer.
happycat01
5% products discount

Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:41 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,
I have been reading through the posts here, as I am still battling with SH.
Over the past 9 months I have been using prescription Tretinoin 0.05 which has done absolutely nothing for my SH. It has improved my skin overall, made it somehow smoother which only means that the SH bumps are more noticeable! Sad
I am very keen to try and have them removed by ACP, I am very encouraged by the posts from Hemp and GW. However I don't have any clinics near me that offer this treatment (In Scotland) so I am playing with the idea of travelling to Winchester and get it done.
I don't know, it might be worth doing even if I have to go once a year.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:17 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |