Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Could Hard Water be giving me a really bad hair day?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Ollie
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:49 pm      Reply with quote
I recently moved and noticed the water is different! I believe the water in my new place is hard water and the old place it was soft. My hair looks terrible and really dry jbecause of this and I'm pretty sure it's the water that's causing it. I haven't changed shampoos or anything. Do those soft water filter shower heads really work or is it pointless?
panoslydios
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:22 am      Reply with quote
They do work.Some people even reversed their alopecia areata spots.

City water can be a poison.
For example i let a cup with oil of oregano and city water,and i sip there the toothbrush so i can clean my teeth.If let the city water sit there,after 3-4 days it turns clear dark purple.

Whats wrong with the world today?

5% products discount

Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
Yes!! Hard water can wreak havoc. My hair is like brassy straw and my hairline is wrecked if I don't have a shower filter.I use the Sprite filter, available at Home Depot and very inexpensive. I couldn't live without it. You may need to rinse your hair more (my sister says her hair doesn't feel rinsed with the filter),but in my opinion it's worth it.

There are also hard water clarifying shampoos & treatments. There is a good one by Ion (at Sally's Beauty Supply) that helps to clarify all that hard water buildup off of your hair.

I also think hard water can thin your hair, mine is generally thicker when I have the filter.
pokerlady888
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:30 am      Reply with quote
Yes it can!! Water makes a huge difference! Even in your skin. I used to wash with poland spring water bottles because the water is too hard where I live and then when I would visit friends and shower at their place, my skin had such a difference and hair was softer because the water is different. I currently have a shower head but I think it is for purifying the water, I didn't know there were shower heads designed for making softer water? Do you mind posting a few products on here so I can look into getting a soft water shower head? Thanks!!
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
lnb083 wrote:
Yes!! Hard water can wreak havoc. My hair is like brassy straw and my hairline is wrecked if I don't have a shower filter.I use the Sprite filter, available at Home Depot and very inexpensive. I couldn't live without it. You may need to rinse your hair more (my sister says her hair doesn't feel rinsed with the filter),but in my opinion it's worth it.

There are also hard water clarifying shampoos & treatments. There is a good one by Ion (at Sally's Beauty Supply) that helps to clarify all that hard water buildup off of your hair.

I also think hard water can thin your hair, mine is generally thicker when I have the filter.

Yes!! I live in an area with hard water. My hair can look dull and I will need to clarify. Usually after that, my hair behaves better and my colour (blond highlights) is brighter.

In addition the Ion shampoo; the Malibu line is recommended. I buy mine at Cosmo Prof but it can be hard to find retail. Both are recommended on MUA hair forum in addition to using a water filter.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:17 am      Reply with quote
Does anyone know a good shower filter to get to have softer water?
Ollie
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
I just bought a GE filter at Home Depot. I haven't tried it yet, will let you know when I do. The guy in the store said it was the most purchased one. Anyone else know of a good soft water shower filter?
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:17 am      Reply with quote
Yes, water makes a big difference. Get a water filer, they really do help.
Ollie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using the Ion shampoo and conditioner 3 times now and don't notice much of a difference:(. My hair still looks lifeless and flat. My curls are completely gone and my hair looks greasy if I don't wash it the next day.
I was really hoping it would work! My hair doesn't seem to hold any product at all it's too soft! Why is this happeneing?
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
There are many good options here. Also you can shop around and learn some things about what the various filters can do for your water.
http://www.showerfilterstore.com/

I have this filter from Aquasana for my shower.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YFD6WU/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3DH088LV8YZ54

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:40 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone tried any other hard water shampoos besides IOn. I need one that really works. Also, does anyone notice their hair is drier and worse when their in a hotel? I'm in one right now and my hair looks worse than ever! WTH?
Pinkie
5% products discount

Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
After reading Autumn's post I ordered and used the Malibu Products

http://www.amazon.com/Malibu-Water-Wellness-Shampoo-Bottle/dp/B0008GIZKS/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1395606860&sr=8-7&keywords=malibu+hard+water+wellness

http://www.amazon.com/Malibu-Water-Weekly-Demineralizer-packets/dp/B00EQ657J8/ref=pd_sim_bt_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0W7VGHWG00SGCACJ95G3

I thought they were just ok BUT others have been telling me how nice my hair looks.
So I'll have to give them 2 thumbs up.
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:58 am      Reply with quote
panoslydios wrote:
They do work.Some people even reversed their alopecia areata spots.

City water can be a poison.
For example i let a cup with oil of oregano and city water,and i sip there the toothbrush so i can clean my teeth.If let the city water sit there,after 3-4 days it turns clear dark purple.

Whats wrong with the world today?

You sip toothbrush water???

What the the.
It might just be you and not what wrong with world today.
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:03 am      Reply with quote
I saw on the site feelunique they have a hair line called Area H2o and there is different versions for hard and soft water.

The products look interesting and I want to try them once I figure out what is in my water
Ollie
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks but I was looking for something a little less expensive....that's like $20 a bottle
Hawkman564
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:06 pm      Reply with quote
I use an Aquasana shower head filter. Anyone know if this is a good one?
Ollie
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:36 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I tried the GE Shower filter and it doesn't work!! I'm so disappointed. I even used it with the Ion shampoo and still my hair was and is lifeless. I don't want to waste anymore money. Can anyone tell me if Sprite or Culligan make a good shower filter?
Crystena

Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
I got a sprite shower filter not too long ago.

I've always noticed different water and it's affects. When I was a teen and spent time between my mom's house and my dad's house I always liked the water at my dad's, my skin was more soft vs. when I stayed with my mom. Go figure that having lived with my mom for a while now my hair is so dry with no curl definition and my skin has gotten drier as well. I think our water is harder (or in general worse) because we're closeer to the city and I've seen that brown water stain on surfaces which I hear is a sign of hard water.

Anyways, I bought one when I read a review of someone who's eczema cleared (which I have). I've only showered in it twice but my skin IS softer. I haven't washed my hair yet though.

Actually, as a last note, now that I think of it my sister who moved in after living in Florida complained about her hair being "worse" and as she says "not like it was when I was down in Florida," her skin's having funky skin issues too so there might be a lot to it. Mine was only $30 from home depot, I ordered it online and they shipped it to the store free.
Ollie
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
Crystema, I was looking into buying one of those sprite shower filters but didn't know which one to ge. Which one did you end up getting? I would love to know how it works on your hair! Please let me know when you do wash your hair!! I'm feeling so hopeless my manageable hair won't come back again! Uggggg!
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:52 pm      Reply with quote
Ollie wrote:
Thanks but I was looking for something a little less expensive....that's like $20 a bottle

They have a sale on it right now. buy the shampoo get conditioner for free so $20 for both w free shipping.

But how do I know what kind of water I have here.
My tap water smells like chlorine a lot and I always use a Brita tap filter to get rid of the taste.

I haven't had my water tested for anything though.

But I know when I drink water that is not filtered, like at the mall or a restaurant, most of the time the water tastes bad to me and I can really notice the chlorine or a metalic taste quite often.

Usually I bring my own water out, so it is ok most of the time...
MidnightSunBaby
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:24 pm      Reply with quote
I live in Alaska with well water. The sinks and toilets all have hard water build up.

My hair is blah. It is to the point that if I wear my hair down its just meh. So I went ot Sallys. I bought:

Clarifying treatment
http://www.sallybeauty.com/clarifying-treatment/SBS-302208,default,pd.html

ApHogee Intensive Two Minute Keratin Reconstructor
http://www.sallybeauty.com/clarifying-treatment/SBS-302208,default,pd.html

The last time I washed my hair, I had good luck using a final rinse with some true lemon packets. Vitamin C is supposed to chelate hard water.

5% products discount

Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:20 pm      Reply with quote
Ollie, did you notice any difference at all with the GE filter? Or just that your hair still felt bad?
Maybe give it a little time and definitely do some of the clarifying/chelating treatments. I have a water filter (sprite) and it has made a TON of difference, but I still need to clarify regularly.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:59 am      Reply with quote
Pinkie wrote:
After reading Autumn's post I ordered and used the Malibu Products

http://www.amazon.com/Malibu-Water-Wellness-Shampoo-Bottle/dp/B0008GIZKS/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1395606860&sr=8-7&keywords=malibu+hard+water+wellness

http://www.amazon.com/Malibu-Water-Weekly-Demineralizer-packets/dp/B00EQ657J8/ref=pd_sim_bt_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0W7VGHWG00SGCACJ95G3

I thought they were just ok BUT others have been telling me how nice my hair looks.
So I'll have to give them 2 thumbs up.

Here are two other clarifying + chelating shampoos that I know about:

http://www.drugstore.com/kenra-clarifying-shampoo/qxp410481 This shampoo also comes in bigger sizes

Quantum Clarifying shampoo:

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Clarifying-Shampoo/SBS-496400,default,pd.html
Ollie
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
I find, the days that I use the cheating shampoo my hair looks much worse!! It's almost too soft and really dry and I comp,entry lose the curls I have. Is this normal when using it or is it supposed to do the opposite?
Ollie
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone know which Sprite shower filter is the best to get? There are so many to choose from!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:38 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |