Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Yoga for Anti-Aging, is it effective?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
stephenlopez
5% products discount

Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:05 pm      Reply with quote
I've heard a lot about yoga as an effective natural way to reduce the signs of aging, but has someone actually tried it? If yes, was it effective for you?
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:28 am      Reply with quote
There are so many different types of yoga out there - are they effective well the simple answer is yes if you do them.

Ive tried Hatha and Astanga yoga. Hatha is the one that's been publicized a lot. Did it work for me, and was it antiaging - well yes and no. It took up a lot of time and a lot of space and so I didn't keep it up, plus the whole idea of going to a studio was simply off putting so I didn't. Astanga was a bit more different, but still highly complex. You kind of jump into poses and then have to hold them. Its a full body workout for sure.
stephenlopez
5% products discount

Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:54 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
There are so many different types of yoga out there - are they effective well the simple answer is yes if you do them.

Ive tried Hatha and Astanga yoga. Hatha is the one that's been publicized a lot. Did it work for me, and was it antiaging - well yes and no. It took up a lot of time and a lot of space and so I didn't keep it up, plus the whole idea of going to a studio was simply off putting so I didn't. Astanga was a bit more different, but still highly complex. You kind of jump into poses and then have to hold them. Its a full body workout for sure.

Are they easy to perform? How can I perform them?
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:15 am      Reply with quote
Its better to go somewhere where they teach these classes, so googling them will often bring up a list of classes in your area. Otherwise there are some dvds I'm told. I have never wanted to watch them after doing the classes so can't recommend any specifically
stephenlopez
5% products discount

Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:03 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
Its better to go somewhere where they teach these classes, so googling them will often bring up a list of classes in your area. Otherwise there are some dvds I'm told. I have never wanted to watch them after doing the classes so can't recommend any specifically

I googled for yoga and anti-aging and I found some blogs, can you sort the best one out of them for me?

prevention com/fitness/yoga/anti-aging-yoga-poses
stylecraze com/articles/5-yoga-asanas-that-fight-ageing/
zovon com/hot-topics/aging/anti-aging/
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:19 am      Reply with quote
Sorry but its up to you to make that decision - as you know yourself and your body and what it can and can't do not me. Any recommendations I would make would be based on my knowledge which isn't a lot or sufficient having only done a few classes. There isn't a short cut to finding what works for you sadly.
People can share their opinions all they want, but it doesn't always mean their opinions will be 100% true for you.

Take your time and read through them and see which ones jump out at you and try them out and see what happens. You will find ones you like or dislike and then you can start crossing them off your list.
stephenlopez wrote:
I googled for yoga and anti-aging and I found some blogs, can you sort the best one out of them for me?

prevention com/fitness/yoga/anti-aging-yoga-poses
stylecraze com/articles/5-yoga-asanas-that-fight-ageing/
zovon com/hot-topics/aging/anti-aging/
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:14 am      Reply with quote
I find yoga very relaxing when I do it. (Which is not often enough.) Once you learn the poses, you can work out at home.

My favorite poses are child pose, Legs up the wall, cobra (and others but I can't remember the names.)

Another suggestion is to go to your local library. Mine offers DVDs on a seven day loan. My library also offers fitness magazines such as Yoga, etc.

I also like NY Times for exercise articles.
https://www.nytimes.com/guides/well/beginner-yoga

I did read Prevention magazine and also online. The magazine format has changed (no advertising) but enough of the type of articles I want to read (so I did not renew.) Also the Prevention site loads slowly and has lots of ads.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:52 pm      Reply with quote
You tube has a ton of free yoga classes to choose from.
Yoga is anti-aging overall because it relaxes you and you can get a good toning benefit depending on what type you are doing.

I really like yin yoga which involves stretching of the fascia. Travis Elliot has a good one. It is gentle and easy to learn. There is an old one by Raquel Welch which is the exact Bikram yoga sequence. I think it's on you tube as well. I have the vhs and she also has a book that shows the sequence.
Swissmom
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
I forgot to speak about the benefits I have seen. It eliminates tension from the face and body. It also helps my posture. Yoga and other forms of exercise helps me to maintain a youthful body and mind.
stephenlopez
5% products discount

Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:08 pm      Reply with quote
How much yoga is enough for everyday? I mean I have approximately two hours every morning to do extracurricular activities, so, should I invest all this time in performing Yoga poses?
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:46 am      Reply with quote
How old are you and what fitness level are you at?
You see it will be different for different people, but 2 hours is a bit too long to spend doing yoga every day and you may get bored easily. Without knowing your goals and your starting point, its difficult to judge.
For most people, an hour is a good length of time and should ensure you hit the major muscle groups.

stephenlopez wrote:
How much yoga is enough for everyday? I mean I have approximately two hours every morning to do extracurricular activities, so, should I invest all this time in performing Yoga poses?
stephenlopez
5% products discount

Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:51 pm      Reply with quote
I'm 27 right now. Till now, I spend an hour in the gym every day working out my physique. I want to ask whether I should stop gymming and focus entirely on yoga or should I do yoga after the workout, or before it?
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:55 am      Reply with quote
So you are still quite young which is great.
If you enjoy that hour in the gym, and are getting benefits from it then I'd say keep it up.
I think its important to enjoy what you do exercise wise. Like wise, if you start yoga and you enjoy it then you can increase the time you do it for.
I'm not sure that one is better than the other - and like most things its about balance.
You don't live to exercise. Now as to doing it before or after, try them out and see which you prefer.
Some people prefer it before, because its a great way of toning up some like doing it after as it destresses them so its personal choice really.
stephenlopez wrote:
I'm 27 right now. Till now, I spend an hour in the gym every day working out my physique. I want to ask whether I should stop gymming and focus entirely on yoga or should I do yoga after the workout, or before it?
stephenlopez
5% products discount

Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
So you are still quite young which is great.
If you enjoy that hour in the gym, and are getting benefits from it then I'd say keep it up.
I think its important to enjoy what you do exercise wise. Like wise, if you start yoga and you enjoy it then you can increase the time you do it for.
I'm not sure that one is better than the other - and like most things its about balance.
You don't live to exercise. Now as to doing it before or after, try them out and see which you prefer.
Some people prefer it before, because its a great way of toning up some like doing it after as it destresses them so its personal choice really.
stephenlopez wrote:

Well, It's been 3 days since I've started early morning yoga. I'm still not good at poses, but I'm still doing fine. Things are going pretty well as I feel refreshed after doing yoga, unlike muscle soreness after a heavy workout.

So, as I'm not working out, I've stopped using creatine. Can someone suggest me some other supplement that can help me stay energetic as well as helps with my anti aging mission?
Swissmom
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:11 am      Reply with quote
You can look up the Five Tibetan Rites if you are interested in anti-aging. I only do 3 reps each exercise because that is what feels right for me.

Keep doing your gym workouts too! Yoga is great for flexibility and depending on the type of yoga you do you can develop some good muscle tone. But I love weight training and I think it's anti-aging. So don't give up on them unless you feel like they are wearing you out. In that case, scale back.

I try to do 1 hour of something each day. But not more than an hour. Today I did yin yoga with Travis Elliot, tomorrow I will do some weight training. Tuesday will be isometrics, Wednesday the treadmill, etc.

If you need more energy, make sure your diet is nutritious and take the basics like fish oil, multivitamin and mineral, and vitamin d.
stephenlopez
5% products discount

Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
https://www.doyouyoga.com/the-5-tibetan-rites-yoga-like-a-tibetan-monk/

This is what I find while searching for Tibetan rites, the things look easy though but my muscles are pretty hard because of years of workout and I don't think I'll be able to do this right now. I'm right now focusing on yoga for a few days till my body gets enough flexible to perform these poses.

Also, about giving up on whey protein, I still haven't used it since last few days. Also, while searching for supplements, I found about Astaxanthin here https://zovon.com/hot-topics/aging/astaxanthin/

Can I rely on this information?
Swissmom
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:52 am      Reply with quote
Yes, that's it. They also have some videos on you tube so you can look at the form.

I am not familiar with asthaxanthin. But make sure you thoroughly research everything before buying.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:01 am      Reply with quote
Great stuff. Good that you are feeling refreshed.

As to supplements, rather than waste money why not get blood work done to see if you are lacking in anything first and foremost before looking at supplements.
You see if your body is deficient in things like say Vit C for example, then you need to either eat foods containing that or supplement. Otherwise you can spend a lot of money on supplements and they simply pass through without doing anything. Better get value for your buck in my opinion.

stephenlopez wrote:
Well, It's been 3 days since I've started early morning yoga. I'm still not good at poses, but I'm still doing fine. Things are going pretty well as I feel refreshed after doing yoga, unlike muscle soreness after a heavy workout.

So, as I'm not working out, I've stopped using creatine. Can someone suggest me some other supplement that can help me stay energetic as well as helps with my anti aging mission?
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:02 am      Reply with quote
I wouldn't rely on any one source of inforamtion alone, and would highly recommend you research all these things from a variety of sources.
There are different opinions/views out there but at 23 I'd suggest you try to stay off supplements unless needed (deficiency for example).
stephenlopez wrote:
Also, about giving up on whey protein, I still haven't used it since last few days. Also, while searching for supplements, I found about Astaxanthin here https://zovon.com/hot-topics/aging/astaxanthin/

Can I rely on this information?
stephenlopez
5% products discount

Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
I'm thankful for all the suggestions. I'm feeling more and more refreshed every day. Yoga is working well for me. Although, I still want some advice on supplementation because I've stopped using whey. Should I start using it again or is there any alternative?
Lilith_10
5% products discount

Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:52 am      Reply with quote
Yes, I do think Yoga is a youthing tool.

1. It calms the mind - a lot of people look old because they are tense or out of balance. I think a balanced mind and soul are extremly attactive. It projects a capable and young/mature mind which I find is amazing. Look at Audrey Hepburn in her 60 - a lot of wrinkles but her eyes are awake her face projecting alertness and youthfulness.

2. Yoga sequences are rejuvenating the body - on the long run you will find that your body stays more subtle, more in tune - with that less pain or no pain and that is youthfulness to me. I wish to grow old with as much vitality and mental capacity and as little pain as possible! I am doing Hot Yoga for 1 1/2 years now - mainly because my immune system collapsed and I could barely keep it in balance with very clean nutrition. Yoga helped a lot in that department - depending on how often I do it!!! At the moment I only do it twice a week - but when I regularly go 3-4 x a week it works amazing for my specific condition.

3. The inverted poses are legendary for their rejuvenation ability. I know an accaintance who only does headstand for 30 mins. a day and he looks very young (he is in his 60ties). And is mind is extremly young. His face has nearly no wrinkles and he attests it to headstand.

So if you look specifically for youthfulness I would incorporate with whatever routine you do 'inverted positions'.

I think though that in order to keep at a routine you have to like it - so I agree with TheresaMary to do a couple of sessions or buy DVD's and see what works. I used to do Kundalini Yoga which I liked by Raviana (they have great DVD's so easy to start at home) and from there I took it up a notch and went to Bikram Yoga which I am really grateful for as it is tougher and allows me to refocus mind and body very intensly. A lot of people commented that I look better/healthier? I do not see a reduction of wrinkles - but I think my overall energy is back in balance...

All in all Yoga is about Balance Peace Mindfulness and that is an integrated way of life - as much as I know Yoga has done for my life I still believe it would not be as effective if I would not have changed my diet to an organic, fresh, unprocessed lifestyle. For youthfulness diet is a real key. E.g. I know that my skin ages when I eat too much sugar it is very visible!

Perhaps this helps.

5% products discount

Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:55 am      Reply with quote
PS: Again there are so many wonderful supplements out there - what do you want to achive?

I personally did not fare well with whey so I use Sunwarriors Protein for my smoothies which is plant based. It made a big difference in my energy levels.

Otherwise, for clear skin I swear by wheatgrass - when I go early to work I take a shot with some vegetable juice afterwards and 1 x a year I try to go for a months 5 days a week - after that my skin glows! And my mind is high alert. It taste terrible though - so nothing for the faint hearted. I have the powder too - but it has not the same effect as the fresh juice.

5% products discount

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:17 pm      Reply with quote
Well, I haven't got my paycheque yet and I'm pretty much broke. So can you people give me some youtube links to the videos that you found beneficial?

I'll be very thankful!
stephenlopez
5% products discount

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:24 pm      Reply with quote
Also, I found this article about herbal anti-aging supplements, and the word herbal really attracted me a lot!

http://danielhealthadvisor.cabanova.com/
Lilith_10
5% products discount

Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:40 am      Reply with quote
Hi Stephen,

Totally understood. Unfortunately, Raviana have no full workout available for free - at least I could not find any.

A really good Yoga instructor espcially for difficult poses and how to learn inversion safely is 'Nora Day'.

And 'The House of Yoga' has some good calm instructions.

And Sadie Nardini has a lot of Flow Yoga - it is not my style - but she is good and has some complete free sessions.

I agree with herbal skin care is a whole fascinating universe - I swear by Schizandra and Fo Ti for hair. Would be great to have a dedicated topic for this.

Anyhow I hope this will help you!

Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:38 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |