Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
why do so many people say they burn with sunscreen
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mamaherrera
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 07, 2018 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
Every time I find a sunscreen that looks good in ingredients, there are always some reviews that say that even with the sunscreen, they got burned, even after reapplying every 2-3 hours. Now if a sunscreen says it has 16-20% zinc, how can that happen or are there really sunscreens out there that can just be badly made and burn regardless?? I want to put my faith in one, but there are always reviews that someone got burned with it. What do you all think?
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 08, 2018 5:29 am      Reply with quote
I know at first it seems confusing, but often times there are reasons why these things happen. I saw this some time ago with friends in the park with our children. We all had our sun protections with us, especially as my dear hubby had skin cancer - its not something I take lightly now ever.

A friend was using a sunscreen she bought, and I have known her for years and we both have similar skin types, but she was using sunscreen for a different skin type. I pointed it out to her, and she was just of the opinion that it didn't matter. Well sure enough - we were only there about 2 hours, and she had major sunburn on her shoulders. I told her to apply Vit C liberally (as that helps to stop UVA and UVB rays) and use aloe vera and sure enough she healed up quickly in no time. However she was not using a sunscreen for her skin type and it was one she bought in a budget shop.

So a lot of time I think its important to find a sunscreen thats right for your skintype. Plus buy it from a reputable source too. I dont buy my sunscreens from budget shops after seeing a tv show where they showed some of the goings on behind some of those stores. Sure its great for other things but sun protection isn't something you want to go lightly on.

The other thing is to go into chemists or stores like Sephora and get samples of the sunscreens and make a decision that way too. Most stores do have samples they can provide of the different ones. Whilst its interesting to read reviews, I've found that for me, my opinion usually is drastically different than the ones I read - but then I have always been sort of different in that way.

Another thing that I found out a while ago is that a lot of companies post bogus reviews about their competitors products in the hopes to sway customers. So that really got me thinking - can you trust online views/opinions over your own - my gut instinct tells me no.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 08, 2018 10:05 am      Reply with quote
First of all, one has to apply 1/4 tsp of sunscreen on the face only.

Second of all, Zinc Oxide, when used alone, is insufficient in protecting against UVB, the chief cause of skin sunburn.

Hence, an additional UVB blocker (chemical or physical) is required.
mamaherrera
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 08, 2018 12:59 pm      Reply with quote
oph wow! Lots of things to think about then. Now addays you buy it all online. So how do you know if it's reputable. I've been eyeing this one. sunumbra sunscreen. Anyone know if it's reputable. https://www.sunumbra.com/

Also, when you say skin type, what do you mean? oily, dry. etc. And finally, why physical blockers protect against UVB then? I've never heard that before?
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 08, 2018 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
mamaherrera wrote:
Every time I find a sunscreen that looks good in ingredients, there are always some reviews that say that even with the sunscreen, they got burned, even after reapplying every 2-3 hours. Now if a sunscreen says it has 16-20% zinc, how can that happen or are there really sunscreens out there that can just be badly made and burn regardless?? I want to put my faith in one, but there are always reviews that someone got burned with it. What do you all think?

I’ve seen a lot of reviews like this too. Very often it is for the spray version of the sunscreen. It’s too easy to spray lightly or unevenly and thus not get proper coverage.

Reapplying every two hours or more if humid, sweating or swimming is a must. As it using the full amount, a shot glass full for body. Most people do not use nearly enough.
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 08, 2018 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
mamaherrera wrote:

I’ve seen a lot of reviews like this too. Very often it is for the spray version of the sunscreen. It’s too easy to spray lightly or unevenly and this not get proper coverage.

Reapplying every two hours or more if humid, sweating or swimming is a must. As it using the full amount, a shot glass full for body. Most people do not use nearly enough.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2018 1:53 am      Reply with quote
Thankfully, shops are not gone, so you can easily go to a store and ask for samples and usually the larger departmental stores have ones you can try in store. There is no guarantees with anything you buy online sadly as you have no doubt seen already. So its up to you really.

Yes skin type - you understood. Dry, oily, combo, sensitive - there are a range of sunprotections for each skin type.
mamaherrera wrote:
oph wow! Lots of things to think about then. Now addays you buy it all online. So how do you know if it's reputable. I've been eyeing this one. sunumbra sunscreen. Anyone know if it's reputable. https://www.sunumbra.com/

Also, when you say skin type, what do you mean? oily, dry. etc. And finally, why physical blockers protect against UVB then? I've never heard that before?
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2018 1:55 am      Reply with quote
I have actually heard some people suggest that 1/4 is not sufficient for the whole face, and the experts seem to suggest that you should cover all the skin - so not neglecting the ears, behind the ears, the scalp etc.

I'm not sure as to the latter part of your message? I wasn't in any disagreement with anything you posted? It was posted after I posted my message so not sure if its referring to something I posted or is just a general comment?
RussianSunshine wrote:
First of all, one has to apply 1/4 tsp of sunscreen on the face only.

Second of all, Zinc Oxide, when used alone, is insufficient in protecting against UVB, the chief cause of skin sunburn.

Hence, an additional UVB blocker (chemical or physical) is required.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 09, 2018 8:44 am      Reply with quote
mamaherrera wrote:

As far as I know, it has aloe vera in it. And that is bad news. Aloe can be oxidizing in the presence of sunlight*

Zinc Oxide may not be enough for UVB protection since UVB irradiation produces an increase in Zn(2+) dissociation in ZnO sunscreen.

Hence, additional UVB blockers can be beneficial.

* Google "Photo-irradiation of Aloe vera by UVA--formation of free radicals, singlet oxygen, superoxide, and induction of lipid peroxidation."
Anele

Wed May 23, 2018 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
I am one of those people who burns almost no-matter-what, and am struggling to figure it out.

I MUST apply every 30 minutes or I will burn— not just sitting on the beach, but in my car. With most sunscreens, even every 30 minutes won’t do it.

This is what I am using now— Neutrogena’s Sheer Zinc. It still isn’t keep me 100% even applying every 30 min and I can clearly see the sunscreen still on my face. I apply generously. Any ideas? I have started taking a supplement with PLE in it in hopes that it gives me a tiny boost.

Active ingredient

Zinc oxide 21.6% (sunscreen).

Inactive ingredients

Water, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Styrene/acrylates Copolymer, Octyldodecyl Citrate Crosspolymer, Phenyl Trimethicone, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Dimethicone, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Glycerin, Ethyl Methicone, Cetyl Dimethicone, Silica, Chrysanthemum Parthenium (Feverfew) Flower/leaf/stem Juice, Glyceryl Behenate, Phenethyl Alcohol, Caprylyl Glycol, Cetyl Dimethicone/bis-vinyldimethicone Crosspolymer, Acrylates/dimethicone Copolymer, Sodium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin.

RussianSunshine, thank you for the UVB info. I had no idea zinc wasn’t sufficient! Here I thought I was using the max and confused as to why it still wasn’t working.

TheresaMary, what kind of Vit C do you put on skin that’s been burnt? A serum?
Takayama
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:55 pm      Reply with quote
Because they are not applying enough and they never re-apply throughout the day. Or they do not use the waterproof one.
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:06 am      Reply with quote
I believe that’s the case Taka. People stay in the sun too long and so you will get burned.
Anele

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:18 am      Reply with quote
Not applying often, using too little, or not using a waterproof one does not apply to me at all.

Now I am using 3 different sunscreens at once and seeing if that will help, though likely I will have to use something physical instead like a face mask when driving.
barbiH
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:20 am      Reply with quote
Yes, I totally agree as well.

I think some people feel falsely protected by spf and spend much more time in the sun than they should. I think that's one reason why skin cancer has risen even though people are better at using sunscreens.
Takayama
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:25 am      Reply with quote
If I stay outdoor, I will definitely bring my UV block umbrella with me. If it’s not feasible to take umbrella, a hat is a must.
Anele

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:29 am      Reply with quote
Re: using a hat and umbrella— I get burnt from the rays reflecting from the ground even when I use these in addition to sunscreen.
Takayama
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:46 am      Reply with quote
Sorry to hear that. You may then consider to use arm cover and face mask to prevent getting burnt.
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:24 am      Reply with quote
I think most people, speaking for myself, apply less than the recommended quantity.

Manufacturers say we need 1 oz to cover the body and reapply every 2 hours. I definitely use less and less often than that.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:59 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |