Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Learned how to color my own hair..Freedom!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:55 am      Reply with quote
Just sharing that I've finally cracked the code on coloring my own hair so it lasts just like a professional job.

I was getting so tired of the cost and time it took to get my hair colored.. My stylist never ever got the color right ,,and I was spending a fortune going every 3 weeks to get my roots done..and truth be told.. my hair really needs touched up every 2.5 weeks.

So, long story short.. I spent time on the Internet researching and watching youtube videos on dying hair at home. It is the developer level that makes the difference..and there are rules to how light or dark you can go from your now color. So read up on all of that.

Then, I went to Sally Beauty Supply...and talked with the clerk there and left with all my goods.

I actually stripped my own hair color, replaced the protein in my hair..then applied the color myself..and it turned out great.

Next, I'm going to put in hi lights.
But, it is amazing..the color is professional doesn't fade one bit or show any roots. There are many brands of dye to choose from. I used Age Defy.. it costs less than $7 a tube..and of course you need your hair developer ($3.00). ..study to see what strength you need. For me. 30 developer worked great.
maggie_p
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
Glad you found something you like Smile

I colour my hair at home for several decades now. I think the key difference is whether I go a bit lighter or a bit darker... If I go lighter, the colour doesn't wash off, if I go darker it does.
The frequency of colouring for me depends on how fast my hair grows and again the colour. Since I have greys, if my colour is darker, I need to do it very often (2-3 week) if it is very light like now, 4 weeks and more.

I usually don't do big changes (2-3 shades up or down), so use 6% (I think that is 20 vol) or use some Nice N Easy permanent.
I do highlights in the salon.
The best highlights were done with a 3% peroxide. It took some time but the hair didn't end up like straw... Also when something takes a lot of time, no big errors.
Some other salon experiences were horrible, I am waiting for my hair to grow out of the last highlight, highlighted part was burned...

Your procedure 9% to strip and then AgeDefy - I think that includes 6% would be too much for my hair. Don't know what your hair is like, I like to use protein packs regularly to fight straw like appearance.
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:29 pm      Reply with quote
The biggest difference for me is not using drug store or store brand dyes.. using the Sally Beauty professional grade dyes with developer makes the difference.

If your color fades quicker...you may not be using the right developer to dye ratio. If you add too much developer; the color can fade quicker.

As for the protein.. it isn't a protein pack or conditioner.. it is something the clerk at Sally gave me... used by stylists to fill in damaged hair shafts before coloring the hair. I never heard of it before. I plan on asking more about it and getting more of it next time I go in to purchase products.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:50 am      Reply with quote
How did you replace the protein in your hair? I know masks can help but I was told one time that when protein is deficient in hair nothing other than changing diet and waiting is going to work so curious to know what you used. My hair has been thinning (since MP) and Ive used Charles Worthington thickening serum at times when I remember but I've not seen any lasting change from it. Some of the other thickeners either make my hair heavy and lank or just don't see to do anything. I've tried natural hair masks like honey and castor oil so really curious to know what you have done.
hotdocgirl wrote:
I actually stripped my own hair color, replaced the protein in my hair..then applied the color myself..and it turned out great.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:00 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |