Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Avocado oil
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
How do you massage your eye area???

Any sort of massage will be beneficial! You can rub your fingers in circles, lightly pinch and roll the skin between your fingers, tap the skin with the pads of your fingers, etc.

If you haven't massaged your eye area before, you might want to start out gently, as you don't know how much massage your eye area can take. Maybe try like 1-3 minutes to start out with. But as your tissues get more healthy, you can be more aggressive in your massage and get even better results.

On the FlexEffect forum, FlexEffect founder Deb posted a 3-minute massage challenge, where you massage the trouble spot on your face for 3 minutes, 2 times a day, for 2 weeks (I hope I'm remembering that correctly). The point of the challenge was to show you how effective facial massage is in thickening skin, restoring circulation, etc. You could try something like this Smile

I did the 3-minute massage challenge on my under-eye area, since I've always had dark circles. The first time I did it, I shocked at how thin the skin was under my eyes. After about 1 week, the skin under my eyes felt like it had doubled in thickness! And my under-eyes were less dark.

HTH Smile

5% products discount

Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
cm5597 wrote:
Quote:
How do you massage your eye area???

Any sort of massage will be beneficial! You can rub your fingers in circles, lightly pinch and roll the skin between your fingers, tap the skin with the pads of your fingers, etc.

If you haven't massaged your eye area before, you might want to start out gently, as you don't know how much massage your eye area can take. Maybe try like 1-3 minutes to start out with. But as your tissues get more healthy, you can be more aggressive in your massage and get even better results.

On the FlexEffect forum, FlexEffect founder Deb posted a 3-minute massage challenge, where you massage the trouble spot on your face for 3 minutes, 2 times a day, for 2 weeks (I hope I'm remembering that correctly). The point of the challenge was to show you how effective facial massage is in thickening skin, restoring circulation, etc. You could try something like this Smile

I did the 3-minute massage challenge on my under-eye area, since I've always had dark circles. The first time I did it, I shocked at how thin the skin was under my eyes. After about 1 week, the skin under my eyes felt like it had doubled in thickness! And my under-eyes were less dark.

HTH Smile

Thank you so much for this info!!! It sounds very promising and useful!! I will try it tonight!!! by the way, it doesn't cause wrinkles or lines right?
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:49 am      Reply with quote
lilbou4 wrote:

Thank you so much for this info!!! It sounds very promising and useful!! I will try it tonight!!! by the way, it doesn't cause wrinkles or lines right?

Hi Lilbou4!

Yes, I LOVE massaging my under-eye area! It looks so much better now Smile

So to answer your question, it doesn't cause wrinkles and lines, but it is possible to run into the following two temporary problems:

(1) If you massage too aggressively ***relative*** to the health of your eye tissue, your eye tissue might show signs of stress. If that is the case, you can just back off the massage and reduce the intensity and/or duration of the massage. Eventually, you want to work up to more aggressive massage, but in the beginning, it's a good idea to start out more gently, to get an idea of what level of intensity is strong enough to give you good results, but not too strong to stress your eye tissue--it's all about balance Smile

(2) Occasionally, for some people with more severe under-eye damage, the under-eye area looks worse before it gets better, as the damage makes it's way to the surface of the body, to eventually be sloughed off. From people posting on forums, this seems to be somewhat rare

HTH Smile Let us know how it goes!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:59 am      Reply with quote
Btw, here is the thread on the FlexEffect forum on the massage test challenge:

"FlexEffect Massage... Test Your Results?"
http://flexeffect.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=435

You can just massage anyway you want, though, to do the massage challenge.

HTH Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:46 am      Reply with quote
Ladies, don't forget to swallow this as well as apply it to your lips! Avocado oil is one of the very best oils you can use for heart health.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:11 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, I tried this and it did make my lips more red but it also made them very dry. I tried to tough it out but my lips started peeling. Then one night I decided to try it on my eyes. BIG mistake! I just smoothed it onto my undereye area with no massage. I woke up in the middle of the night with my eyes swollen and itching. I mean reeeeeallly swollen. I removed the oil and my eyes immediately stopped itching. When I woke up the next morning, the swelling had already gone down a little. Is it possible to be allergic to AO? I used cold-pressed.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
Tonia,
It is possible to be allergic to anything, or just have an adverse reaction to something. Sometimes what is a dream for one is a nightmare for another. If you are sure your AO is not rancid, I would suggest trying a different oil. It is always best to do a patch test inside elbow, and wait at least 24 hours 48 even better. If there is no reaction you can be pretty sure you can use it on your face.

HTH
Rona

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:57 pm      Reply with quote
Tonia wrote:
Hi, I tried this and it did make my lips more red but it also made them very dry. I tried to tough it out but my lips started peeling. Then one night I decided to try it on my eyes. BIG mistake! I just smoothed it onto my undereye area with no massage. I woke up in the middle of the night with my eyes swollen and itching. I mean reeeeeallly swollen. I removed the oil and my eyes immediately stopped itching. When I woke up the next morning, the swelling had already gone down a little. Is it possible to be allergic to AO? I used cold-pressed.

You poor thing.. Of course you could be allergic to anything, especially a food.. And it can happen all of a sudden, even with something you've used all your life..

Avocado oil is very rich and penetrates the skin layers very deeply. It's rich in vitamins A,(as beta carotene) D, E, lecithin + potassium.. It's also loaded with the following fatty acids; palmitoleic, stearic, linolenic, + oleic.. There may be a few more as well, but that's off the top of my head.

Anything can trigger an allergic reaction! Have you had this reaction with any other oils? How about whole avocado's?

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Tonia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy, no, I haven't had this problem with other oils. I commonly use sesame, olive, jojoba and grape seed oil on my face and body. It think I used apricot oil at one point too. I've never had any problems. I have been drinking smoothies with 1/2 avocado in it every day with no problems and I've even poured in some of the same avocado oil that wreaked havoc on my eye area with no problems. I even put the oil on my hands when I was making the AO lip balm and it didn't bother me. I have only had a reaction on my eye area and lips. I guess it's the more sensitive skin but it surprised me. It's such a healthy oil and I've never had that kind of reaction to anything before. Strange.
Thank you for your comments.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:40 pm      Reply with quote
Tonia,
Sorry for what you went through! It sure does not sound as though you are allergic to thr AO just seems as if your eyes and lips are extremly sensitive to it. The fact you can eat Avocados pretty much rules out allergy, plus your hands aren't reacting in any way. I had a similar issue with an organic all natural cleanser years ago (tried it twice) my eyes broke out in little red bumps, no other part of my face, hands were fine! I just could not use it, this goes way back so I don't even know the offending ingredient but I sure hope I don't run across it ever again!

I think AO just may be out for your eyes and lips Neutral SORRY!!!

Rona

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
Tonia, I agree with DarkMoon, you are definitely not allergic to it..

There has to be a common denominator that is setting off the sensitivity in your mucous membranes (eyes, lips)..

Perhaps something else you applied there prior to or after the avocado.. Or even a cleanser that interacted somehow. If you are a sunscreen user, did you thoroughly remove it?

It would be such a shame to have to miss out on this great oil.. Maybe when things settle down, you could try just a few drops of it mixed into another oil you regularly use..

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:32 am      Reply with quote
Kasey,
you may be right about the interaction. The product that wreaked havoc on my eyes was a gel that sort of melted on contact with the skin for removing makeup, prior to washing. This was when I was still a teen and the only makeup I used was eye, including mascara, blush and a little lip gloss. No foundation ect. The place it caused the bumps was around my eyes, so it may well have interacted to some eye makeup. I'll never know for certain.

Rona

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:18 pm      Reply with quote
My oil is Aura Cacia and is a dark golden in color. It also has E in to to preserve it. It is minimally processed. Has anyone had experience with this brand? I put some on my lips but didn't notice a difference, but maybe that is because I use it regularly anyway. Thanks.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:34 pm      Reply with quote
Janice,
After reading a multitude of threads on the forum, covering many products it seems that almost everything works beautifuly for some and does nada for others. Then there those who have adverse reactions ranging from mild to down right awful.
I think we must always keep in mind how unique each and every one of us are.
I doubt it is the brand although I am not personally familiar with it. You may just be one who does not see results from AO on the lips.
Just my humble opinion.

Rona

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, it's also possible it might be a bad or contaminated batch of avocado oil...just like you'll occasionally get a bad bottle of wine...

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:08 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone. Thank you for your responses to my AO reaction. I mentioned that I have been putting it in my smoothies and haven't had any problems. Well, this morning, it dawned on me that this ongoing congestion I've been having may be related to the Avocado I've been putting in my smoothies. I thought it was detox symptoms but I'll leave it out of today's smoothie and see if it's the avocado.

The idea that the AO may have interracted with something else is a real possibility too. I do use sunscreen and no, I'm not at all sure that I got it all off before using the AO.

Thank you for your suggestions.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:15 pm      Reply with quote
cm5597 wrote:
Yes, it's also possible it might be a bad or contaminated batch of avocado oil...just like you'll occasionally get a bad bottle of wine...

Hi cm5597, that's a good point. The oil is not rancid but there are other ways for things to be contaminated. I won't give up until I try a different brand. That is, unless my congestion magically disappears overnight after leaving the avocado out of my smoothie. Rolling Eyes (I can not believe I haven't connected the two before now.)

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
Tonia,
Overnight might not happen, I would give it more time without adding it to the smoothies. Many things are fat soluable not water soluable, hence the fat souuable binds to the fat cells and stay in the body longer before your system can flush them out (vitamin A as compaired to Vitamin C) regular water soluable vitamin C will just be flushed out in the urine, above what the body can use, on the other hand vitamin A can make you quite ill if you ingest too much as it will bind to the fat cells in the body. AO being a rich oil my educated guess is it will bind to the fat cells, I know you aren't overdoseing with it but it could be 2 weeks or more to see if it is indeed the culpret causing congestion. I may be off so if anybody has a more informed opinion feel free to correct me. I just don't want to see you expecting an over night miracle just to get yourself frustrated.

Good luck I hope you find the solution!

All my best
Rona

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:04 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Darkmoon, you're right. I have heard that it can take longer than 24 hours to get contaminates out of your system. Your theory about fats taking even longer sounds right to me.

Meanwhile, I googled "Avocado Allergy" and found that 1% of the population is allergic to avocados. The symptoms are similar to what I am experiencing. I have also had an unusual rash on my chest and back that popped up last week. It turns out, that is one of the symptoms. The congestion and breakout happened at different times so I didn't connect the dots. I will report back in a few days to let you guys know if my symptoms have cleared up.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:09 pm      Reply with quote
Smart Tonia!
If you can take it try some benadryl (dyphenhydramine) to get the rash and congestion under control, I've had numerous allergic reactions to antibiotics and before my trip to the ER I gobbled down 50 mg of Benadryl. My allergic reactions to antibiotics have been whoopers hence the 6-8 hours in ER being pumped full of drugs to prevent anaphylatic shock.
Sorry you probably are correct that it is an allergy, you could see an alergist to make sure.

I wish you all the luck in the world!


DM

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:44 am      Reply with quote
So this eye massage is, basically, "pinch, press, and roll" for 3 minutes EACH eye? I do several eye exercises, some Carole Maggio, some others, but the pinching seems like it would really stress the under eye area. I do massage under the eye, just the regular Yon-Ka, from the outer nose up and sweeping out to the outer corner, when I do my facial massage after I do Facercise every morning, but I am very hesitant to pinch...and this technique IS right under the eye in that very tender area, too. Has anyone had a bad experience in pinching under the eye with this program? I've looked into the program, but it is stuff like this that turns me away from it...
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:35 am      Reply with quote
Janice,
Here is a link to a site showing how to give yourself a FIRMING facial massage, I posted it on the OCM thread maybe you will feel comfortable with this, worth looking at.

http://store.annabellina.com/massagemyth.html

HTH
DM

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:05 am      Reply with quote
That looks like a very good, very relaxing massage, DarkMoon. And a good routine for putting on oil or moisturizer (avocado oil IS my moisturizer). I especially like the "target" massage section. Thanks for the link!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:26 am      Reply with quote
You are most welcome Janice, I am glad you found it helpful. I think everybody has to find what they are comfortable with and that will work for them!

ENJOY
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:47 am      Reply with quote
Hi JaniceC!

By pinching, what is meant is to grab the skin between your fingers as if you were going to pinch it, but rather than pinching, apply very gentle pressure. Then roll it back and forth in between your fingers. But really, if you don't like this technique, ANY massage technique will do, so don't let that turn you off of massage, as there are so many benefits to massage and massage-like therapies, like the vacu-lifter Smile

In the beginning, you should use gentle pressure, with the goal of increasing the pressure over time as your under-eye tissues get stronger. You are right that the under-eye is delicate for most people, so you probably want to go more slowly there than for other areas of the face and work your way up. Just like with facial exercise, it is possible to overdo facial massage, and hence stress out your facial muscles and facial tissue.

HTH Smile

Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:54 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |