Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Review: Jergen's "Natural Glow"-found self-tanner
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:42 am      Reply with quote
I'm telling everyone I know who wants to be rid of their pastey paleness that I’ve tried the brand-new product from Jergen’s called “Natural Glow” and it’s awesome! It’s a shimmer body lotion, but it also contains some self-tanner ingredients so if you use it regularly, it gradually gives you a “healthy summer tan/glow,” . And this stuff actually gives you a believeable tan: no freaky orange Oompa-Lompa skin, no streaks, no blotches or dark patches around your knees/ankles/elbows/knuckles. I only got it last night, but already I’ve got a great-looking “glow” to my skin – it’s not really a tan, per se. It’s more like you’ve gotten a touch of sun and are simply glowing with good health!! So far, the only place I’ve found it here in the U.S. is at my Walmart and one Walgreens location near me. This stuff is cheap, too -- only $6.99 per tube!

So far I’m only using it on my body (at this point, mainly my legs and arms because I’ve been breaking out the skirts, ankle pants and short-sleeve tops since Spring has officially sprung), but a bunch of other women I know who are using this stuff have told me that they’re also applying it to their faces and report no ill effects (i.e.: no breakouts, clogged pores or allergic reactions, etc) and say that it gives a beautiful, lightly sun-kissed glow to their faces so I’ll probably give it a go on my face a little later in the season.

What really seems to set this stuff apart (other than the fact that there seems to be no tell-tale stink like regular self-tanners -- I couldn't detect any scent at all!!) is the way that the color develops gradually over a period of days (kinda like a *real* tan, if you were to bask upon the beach for a couple hours each day to build your tan slowly, as opposed to being white in the morning and looking like George Hamilton before lunch time as is the case with all other self-tanners) so if you happen to have missed a spot or created a streak or swirl mark during application, it’s not obvious the way it would be with a self-tanner that works in a matter of hours so you can go back and correct the mistake the next day when you apply it. In other words, it's way more "forgiving" during application then the average fake-bake...not to mention that applying and maintaining the average fake-bake color is simply an aggrevating chore! I don't know about y'all, but if I'm using a self-tanner that doesn't have a "color guide" (i.e.: the stuff isn't pigmented so you can see how/where you've applied it) then I'm a nervous wreck waiting for the color to develop to be sure I haven't given myself a bunch swirl marks or streaks or end up with freakishly dark elbows, knees and knuckles which means I can't set foot in public until the 'tan' wears off and I look like a normal person again!!! The Jergen's Natural Glow also dries really quick so you don't have to walk around the house naked for half an hour waiting for it to dry before you can risk getting dressed and it doesn't rub off on your clothes or bedsheets.

The other great thing about this stuff is that it’s actually a pretty decent moisturizer, too – the other shimmer lotions (i.e.: Jergen's, Nivea, St Ives, etc.) I’ve tried have left *a lot* to be desired in terms of their skin-quenching abilities!! This stuff allows you to kill three birds (i.e.: self tanner, moisturizing lotion, shimmer lotion, although please note that the 'shimmer' is very, very subtle -- it isn't going to look like you're walking around with glitter on your legs!!) with one stone and at less than seven bucks, even if it turns out you don’t like it or it doesn’t work for you, you haven’t really invested a fortune in it like with some of the ‘prestige’ fake-bake products like Decleor (my all-time fave), Lancome or Clarins. Another thing – the Jergen’s Natural Glow comes in two formulas: ‘Fair’ for those who are “melanin-ally challenged” and “Medium” for those with a bit more pigment (FYI - I'm using the Medium). IMHO, the only thing that stops this stuff from being the ultimate holy grail self-tanning/bronzing product for all of us ‘albinos’ is that it doesn’t appear to contain an SPF so you’d have to slap on a layer of sunscreen if you're going to be outdoors and fear sunburn and/or skin damage.

One thing to keep in mind, Natural Glow has a "maximum" darkness level. When you apply Natural Glow once per day, it takes five days to obtain the maximum results (i.e.: to get as dark as you're going to get), and once you've achieved this 'threshold,' you'll never get any darker than that.

So anyway, while you're busy rotating your winter wardrobe with your breezy spring/summer fashions, you also need to go out and buy this stuff -- NOW!!!!!

HTH,
Carrie

P.S. Helpful application hint: like with ordinary self-tanners, you should use care when applying Natural Glow around ankles/knees/elbows because these areas normally "grab" more product so they can end up looking unnaturally dark, although the problem is *nowhere* near as bad as with conventional self-tanners!!! I've found that after I've smoothed a thin layer of Natural Glow all over my body (apply the same way you would a regular body lotion), if I just lightly wipe around the ankles/knees/elbows with a tissue or paper towel, it removes just enough of the excess product to eliminate this problem.
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:56 am      Reply with quote
I second all of what Carrie said.

I got mine for $4.94 at Walmart, and it is by far the best self tanner I have ever used.

Goof proof, no streaking, perfect natural sun-kissed color.

Brilliant, Jergens, well done of you!

Maria

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
WOW Carrie what a greate review!!!
I actually first read it on MUA just before I was placing my EDS order and was contemplating if I should add St Tropez self tanner. My credit card thanks you a lot Carrie!
steph2039
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:47 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the fantastic review caretake. I've actually wondered about this product but was waiting for some reviews at epinions or MUA.

On a sidenote, I've used Jergens Skin Firming lotion for about 8 months now on my legs and arms and have been happy with the results. While I wouldn't say it did a lot of firming (but at 35 I didn't need a lot) it was a wonderful, cheap over the counter moisturizer for the body. For the price, Jergens is actually a better product than a lot of its similarly priced competitors.

I'll definately be buying the Jergens Natural Glow due to your review.

Thanks again,
Stephanie Smile
Mabsy

Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:06 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the great review Carrie! I'll pick this up on my US trip - no Jergens in Aus Sad I've just added this to my growing list of 'things to buy in the US' Very Happy

I really love the effect of St Tropez but truth be told, I am sometimes just too lazy to do a proper application of a fake tan. If I can use the Jergens on a daily (or thereabouts) basis and not have to worry too much about the actual application then I'd be happy and leave the self tanner for special occasions.
aprilha
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:04 pm      Reply with quote
I went to buy Jergen's Natural Glow today.
oh wow... the lotion does develop into a nice, brownish-non-paris-hilton-orangey-tan

cheap and effective!
like carrie mentioned... this thing DOES moisterize very well
im very impressed! thanx carrie!!!!
when i first applied it i thought:
"ok the smell is not bad, i won't see any tan just yet, it is very moisterizing...... but um where's the shimmer that carrie said there was?" i put away the thought of the lack of shimmer in my tube of NG...but wait till i got in the sun... my legs were shimmering like a disco ball.... (not quite. but ya)

two thumbs up.
cait2k3
5% products discount

Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:40 pm      Reply with quote
love love love this stuff! thanks so much to carekate for private messaging me as soon as she discovered it.

like carekate says, it does moisturize well! however, i found that it DOES have that self-tanner dirty sock smell. i dont know how a couple of you didn't smell that; i guess you are lucky! i put it on before i go to bed so i can shower it off in the morning. i havent noticed it staining any of my clothes/sheets, but it definetly leaves behind that dirty sock smell.

i was surprised at how much tan i actually got from this. the ad made it seem like the results would be very subtle and it would take a week to get a "natural looking" tan. but i found that the next day after my first application i had a great little tan going that made me instantly feel comforatable to wear shorts/skirts. i think my tan reached its maximum color after about three days - and boy it looks great!

my tips and tricks.. the bottle says to wash your hands after you apply it. i would recommend washing the lotion off of your hands every OTHER time you apply it. otherwise youll end up with a great tan all over but pasty white hands. also, this stuff works great on the face too! it hasnt clogged my pores and gives me a great even tan. i *think* it made the edges of my eyebrows look a tad orangy, but that might have been due to the fact that i recently dyed them - still not sure.

basically, i love everything about this except the dirty sock scent. it doesn't seem like any self tanner companies have found a way to get around having that scent in their lotions yet..but im sure it will happen one day. i also wish it had an SPF in it..because i would love to put this stuff on while im at the beach and develop a tan at the beach while my friends are actually getting a real one.

before you spend money on your usual expensive tanner, please try this stuff out! at 6.99 you can't go wrong..and if you don't like it, you can send it to me!
userdefined
5% products discount

Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:21 am      Reply with quote
Sounds great, any idea how I can get hold of this in the UK? any US website that ships without charging stupid amounts to do so?

thanks

so far Ive found somewhere to buy it for $7 and the shipping is $55, oh joy Sad
userdefined
5% products discount

Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:14 am      Reply with quote
ahh oki well I found a canadian site and got 3 150ml bottles for 56 canadian dollars inc shipping. So Im paying twice what you guys are so I hope this stuffs good Very Happy

Could save a fortune on spray tans in the long run I guess, hehe Smile
Lifeplyr01
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:07 am      Reply with quote
After reading reviews on MUA I went out and bought some of this stuff yesterday! Now I get more reviews here on EDS and I am delighted to try it!! Thanks to all of you for the wonderful reviews. I am hoping this product is "goof proof" because I am a clutz with self tanners. Shock Again thanks to all! I'm off to "TAN" now. Razz

Lisa
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:21 am      Reply with quote
I too don't self tan well. Thank you, Carrie! This stuff sounds great and I'm off to get some today, sure hope I can find it here.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:33 am      Reply with quote
For those in BC, Canada...I'm looking at the Shopper's drug mart flyer this week and it's on for $3.99!!!
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
Hubby picked me up some at Wal-Mart, $4.97 plus tax, I got medium too. It smells alright, slightly fake-tanish but more fragrance-y than stinky socks-y, oh, THAT made sense! Very Happy I've used it on my legs and arms an hour ago and WILL report back! hehehe

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
userdefined, I would gladly pick you up some of this stuff from Wal-Mart and send it! I'm off to the post office about three times a week these days so it wouldn't even be out of my way. I use PayPal, that would be the easiest way to pay, I could estimate shipping from the Canada Post website and it would be accurate. Did you order already?

5% products discount

Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:12 am      Reply with quote
Yep I already ordered Sad had to get 3 bottles cos they had minimum spend on website too, hope its good.

Thanks for the offer, that would be great in the future if I want to buy more Smile

I got the fair one cos Im very pale, should arrive in a few weeks woohoo Smile
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:27 am      Reply with quote
Sure, userdefined. Smile Do you in the UK eventually get the same stuff we have here?

I used the medium once in the afternoon and then again before bed. I am definitely darker this morning. The colour is even and not too orangy. I like that it is quite subtle. All tanning lotions should be like this one! I do think that for a more subtle effect I will pick up the lighter shade next time, especially because here in Canada we are all pretty naturally pastey right now! Smile Well, maybe not the Vancouverites be we far north certainly are.

5% products discount

Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:17 am      Reply with quote
Lolli wrote:
Sure, userdefined. Smile Do you in the UK eventually get the same stuff we have here?

Nah we are just a little island they forget about us mostly, or if they do bother to bring their fine wares over here they charge us 4 tiems as much for their troubles.

Laughing
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:31 am      Reply with quote
Lolli wrote:
I use PayPal, that would be the easiest way to pay, I could estimate shipping from the Canada Post website and it would be accurate.
You have to remember that online shopping sites add on a hefty amount simply for putting the item in a box or envelope and licking it shut!!! Postage to the UK for Natural Glow should be no more than $4.85USD...trust me, I've been shipping a lot of things over there recently to my new-found EDS pals!!

*** If anyone in Canada, UK, Europe or OZ/NZ needs me to pick them up a tube of this wonder-glow stuff, just PM me and we can work out the details. I'll charge you the actual price of the product, plus the actual S&H, no "standard markup," and you can pay me via PayPal. ***
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:38 am      Reply with quote
This is so great, Carrie! Smile I wanted to mention, if anyone wants a tube or two from Canada (tariffs may be different but I don't know for sure) I will too charge only the actual cost.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
yeah, I was just thinking about this...I am off to walgreens to take a look.
userdefined
5% products discount

Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
hehe thanks guys, I wish I had a little more patience and didn't just order things within 5 minutes of reading about them.
MaryR
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using this for quite awhile now and I willhave to concure that this is great.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:42 am      Reply with quote
Holy Cow!! First their was a run on Luxor Diamond Foot Files after I wrote a comparison here, and now I can’t find Natural Glow anywhere – I better start keeping my mouth shut!!!! Wink Laughing Seriously, this morning I had to stop at four different stores before I was able to find one with any tubes of Natural Glow left (I was buying for a couple pals in the UK)...I was seriously starting to despair that I’d be able to find any store in all of Austin that still had any in stock! I guess this means the secret is officially out....
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:12 am      Reply with quote
Carrie -

This past Sunday in the coupon section, there was a $1.50 OFF coupon for the Natural Glow, which would mean if Walmart wasnt' out I'd be paying $3.50 for a tube of it!!!!

But were there any tubes to be found???? NO there was NOT!!! We need to swear secrecy on this board so that we can have it all to ourselves.

If I find it, I'll gladly pick some up too for our friends in other places. That coupon is burning a hole in my pocket!

Maria Laughing

5% products discount

Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:25 pm      Reply with quote
shhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

stop telling me these things

I paid 18 dollars a pop Sad

hehe
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:17 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |