Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

ACV -- I'M A BELIEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
I was just thinking...the green tea isn't going to go bad if I store it in my bathroom cabinet, is it? I'm assuming that the ACV 'preserves' it. I think I'll add a little vitamin c, too, just in case. Wink
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:02 am      Reply with quote
I don't think the green tea will go bad -- I've been using the same bottle of "super toner" for a couple weeks now and it's fine....
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:56 am      Reply with quote
I just keep mine in the fridge because I like a cold compress on my eyes not to preserve it.
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:29 am      Reply with quote
Hey am putting the kettle on now as we speak to make green tea!!!! Laughing
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:04 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
Recipe for CareKate’s homemade ACV Super Toner:

What you’ll need:

• Apple Cider Vinegar • Clean, empty 8 ounce glass or plastic bottle
• Green Tea • Distilled water (tap water is okay, but distilled is better!)
• Vit-C (lysorbic acid) powder or crystals
• Ylang Ylang essential oil

What you do:

• Fill bottle 1/3 full of ACV (my increase or decrease amount of vinegar to suit your own skin type, add more for oilier skin and less for dry skin.

• Heat 2/3 cup of distilled water and bring to boil, then add 3-4 green tea bags (you want to make the tea solution REALLY strong!!) and let it steep for 30 minutes or longer, then remove teabags. Once the green tea has cooled completely, pour into bottle with ACV (do not fill bottle completely full because you'll need room to add the Ylang Ylang and Vit-C).

• Add 25 drops of Ylang Ylang essential oil to bottle (if your skin-type is not oily, simply add less Y-Y oil or leave it out altogether).

• Measure out one level teaspoon of Vit-C crystals and add to bottle with ACV and green tea. Shake bottle vigorously to dissolve crystals (if they do not dissolve right away, simply put lid on bottle and let sit for an hour to allow Vit-C crystals to solubilize in the solution. Once the Vit-C crystals have completely dissolved, your toner is ready for use. Shake well before using. The above 'recipe' should yield enough toner for a one-month supply.

Twice daily, after cleansing face as normal, put some toner on a cotton pad and gently swipe over your face and neck (if you prefer, you can use a spray bottle and spray the toner directly onto your face). Followup with your regular serums and/or moisturizer.

I'm using simple, "grocery-store" ACV (look in the condiment/salad dressing aisle) which costs less than $1.00USD for 16 ounces, but you can buy more 'exotic' apple cider vinegars from health food stores. Likewise, I bought my green tea at the supermarket (make sure you get one that is 100% green tea with no additional ingredients/flavors added), a box of 20 tea bags for around $3.00USD. Distilled water is available at the supermarket in the bottled water aisle for around 75¢ per gallon. Ylang Ylang essential oil is available at health food stores (I got mine at Whole Foods for about $7.99 for an 8- ounce bottle). Hint: If you're hoping to find it cheaper on Ebay or something, make sure that the Y-Y oil is stored in an amber or dark-blue glass bottle, because essential oils can be degraded by direct sunlight like from a clear glass bottle. I got my Vit-C crystals at Whole Foods for around $9.99USD for a big bottle (enough to yield *dozens* of batches of ACV super toner or homemade Vit-C serum!), but you can also order it online. Here's the link to the actual brand of Vit-C crystals that I bought:
http://amos.shop.com/cc.amos?main=catalog&prd=18010344&_x_=SouthNatural-NUTRICOLOGY-PURE-VITAMIN-C-ASCORBIC-POWDER-120-GM&ccsyn=260&pcd=11927518&ccsid=361105925-32479&_ccn_test=1 You have to be careful when buying Vit-C though, because there's a 100 different types: unbuffered, Vit-C crystals with additional additives, Vit-C crystals that are sugared and flavored that you mix with water into a drink...basically you just need to read the label to be sure it's 100% pure lysorbic acid with no additional ingredients. They also have the Vit-C in powdered form, but apparently the crystals are more "soluable."

Okay, I think that's everything you need to know. Let me know if you have problems making your toner or need additional info!

Good luck and have fun,
Carrie

UPDATE: I’ve been tinkering with the above-recipe and I made a batch of toner that included a few drops of lavender essential oil, which was a big hit with my pal, Boston (aka “ChunLisa”), so don’t be afraid to play around and add different essential oils till you find the formulation that is best for you!
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:09 am      Reply with quote
I just read a nice recent article from a reputable university on the effect of green tea polyphenols on skin cells. It is really exciting basically they shoed that green tea concentrate applied to the skin can rejuvanate skin cells. This toner is great. I also just bought some lavender essential oil to put in preparations. It smells good and is also an anti-inflamatory.
Mabsy

Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:58 pm      Reply with quote
I wanted to update this as well since Carekate had a lovely surprise for me when she sent me my lash conditioners - she also threw in a bottle of her ACV toner! I started using this last weekend and really I'm liking it. I do agree, it does give skin a "freshness" in the morning. This has been particularly good since I've had a really bad cold all week and I've been using this, Renewing Pack, and Orlane serum to keep me looking healthy (to the extent that if not for the glassy eyes, cough, and slight redness around the nose - people at work wouldn't believe I'm sick; my skin usually tends to look terrible when I'm sick). Anyway, the combination has worked very well! I am surprised how the redness around the nose area has been suppressed, although I've gotta tell you - putting this on irritated skin does sting.... I'm going to continue using this (twice daily) and we'll see how things go.

I've also done some more reading on ACV and I plan to buy some to mix with water and honey to make "honegar" (which apparently is actually sold in European pharmacies) Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:19 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy, do you use the ACV as a wipe-on toner with a cotton pad thing? (the word doesn't come to mind atm)?

I filled my mix up in an old DH toner bottle, with green tea and what not. It seems to jam the spray head. And with other spray bottles, it's blocked completely. I must have not filtered the green tea enough Shock
Mabsy

Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:23 am      Reply with quote
miranets wrote:
Mabsy, do you use the ACV as a wipe-on toner with a cotton pad thing? (the word doesn't come to mind atm)?

I filled my mix up in an old DH toner bottle, with green tea and what not. It seems to jam the spray head. And with other spray bottles, it's blocked completely. I must have not filtered the green tea enough Shock

Yeah, I use it on a cotton square (can't think of the proper name for it either Laughing ) and gently swipe it on my skin, wait for it to dry and then apply vit C etc as usual. The one that Carekate sent me is in a dark green bottle that has a little flip top and you just squeeze out some drops.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:42 am      Reply with quote
Here's an excerpt from Carrie: "I got my Vit-C crystals at Whole Foods for around $9.99USD for a big bottle (enough to yield *dozens* of batches of ACV super toner or homemade Vit-C serum!), but you can also order it online. Here's the link to the actual brand of Vit-C crystals that I bought:
http://amos.shop.com/cc.amos?main=catalog&prd=18010344&_x_=SouthNatural-NUTRICOLOGY-PURE-VITAMIN-C-ASCORBIC-POWDER-120-GM&ccsyn=260&pcd=11927518&ccsid=361105925-32479&_ccn_test=1 You have to be careful when buying Vit-C though, because there's a 100 different types: unbuffered, Vit-C crystals with additional additives, Vit-C crystals that are sugared and flavored that you mix with water into a drink...basically you just need to read the label to be sure it's 100% pure lysorbic acid with no additional ingredients. They also have the Vit-C in powdered form, but apparently the crystals are more "soluable."

I went shopping for Vit C crystals and most of them are ascorbic acid instead of lysorbic acid as stated above. I followed the link to the product Carrie purchased n it read ascorbic acid too. Same thing? I found a 226mg bottle for abt USD21 ina nutritional store smilar to gnc. Is tht expensive? gnc is more expensive...same weight abt USD30!! I just got the ACV too. smells terrible!!
Shelley01
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:58 am      Reply with quote
I too have been using the homemade, Carekate AVC toner and love it! To get ride of the smell I put in some lemon and peppermint EO but a word of warning: go light on the peppermint oil. I put 10 drops in and now it is too powerful so I had to add more green tea and vinegar to dilute the toner. Thank you so much Carekate for this recipe! It has taken so much redness out of my skin and feels so soothing!

I have the same question as mojocat: the vit c crystals I purchased at Whole Foods are ascorbic and not lysorbic…does this make a difference? Any testimonials about Carekate’s homemade Vit C serum? I am using Vivier (Mabsy’s wonderful suggestion) and I love it so I am hesitant to make the homemade version.

Mabsy – how did you like the Juvena CO Q10? Do you feel it worked? Are you going to purchase again? I tired PM’ing you about it but don’t think you received it. I just ordered it and am excited to start using it b/c nothing seems to be working on the fine lines around my eyes.

Cheers!

5% products discount

Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

Does anyone know where you can buy the Lycscorbic Acid in Australia, or which brand sells it as i can only seem to find the ascorbic acid.

Melissa.
Mabsy

Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:55 am      Reply with quote
Shelley01 wrote:
Mabsy – how did you like the Juvena CO Q10? Do you feel it worked? Are you going to purchase again? I tired PM’ing you about it but don’t think you received it. I just ordered it and am excited to start using it b/c nothing seems to be working on the fine lines around my eyes.

I think I did PM you back (sorry if you didn't get it...oops!) although only to say that I don't think I've tried it. I've used the Co Q10 lotion which I liked but the eye cream is still on my list of things to try. Are you sure you have the right person? Pal has tried it though, if that helps, and this is a related post: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7059&highlight=juvena

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, sorry Mabsy! You tried the fluid!! Silly me. How did the fluid end up working out for you?

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=836&highlight=q10

5% products discount

Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, I just made a batch of the toner today, but I cant seem to get rid of the smell from it...Ive added about 10 drops of lemon oil to it now and have about 20 drops of Ylang Ylang...I even just added some orange as well to mask it. Am I doing the right thing? I made it exactly like the directions with Pure ACV, maybe that was the difference?
Anyways I just think that the smell is overpowering and I would like to decrease it if I could....was thinking of adding peppermint next, although that would sure be a mixture!
any help would be appreciated.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:48 pm      Reply with quote
Hello Glittergal

My AVC mixture was about 1:1: of distilled water, green tea, and ACV.

I also added 2 drops of Neroli which seems to be the overpowering scent of my toner. My toner has a delicate scent of Jasmine to it now (probably from Neroli and Vetivert combo?)

Perhaps citrus EOs do not mask the tangy smell of the cider well. Perhaps try a more floral scent (even if it is for purely aromatherapy purposes) like Rose or Lavender.

Also another way to infuse the smell of the EOs better is to always mix the EOs in the bottle first, then add each part seperately to ensure it is mixed well.

Hope this helps with your mixture recipe!
glittergal
5% products discount

Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:58 am      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for your advice! I never thought of adding the oil first...next batch I think I'll try lavender instead Smile
~glittergal
mojocat
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:52 pm      Reply with quote
I just maed my first batch of toner over the weekend. My skin is looking rather radiant today, so im wondering if its really that working! Thanks carrie Smile only thing is like many tohers, i find the vinegar smell ovepowering. i added 18drops of ylang ylang, 5 drops of lavendar, 2 drops each of peppermint n lemon and i can still smell vinegar. i dont want to add too much oil either. how to improve on this??
crazyskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:31 pm      Reply with quote
I too have a problem with the smell and added and EO blend to my test batch to try to neutralize it. Fifteen minutes after going to bed I had to get up and rinse it off coz the odor wouldn't go away. I envy those who can tolerate the smell as I feel I am missing out on the benefits of the ACV. My question is - if I leave the toner on for a certain amount of time and then rinse it off would it still be effective?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:29 am      Reply with quote
I really don’t know what to tell you on how to get mask the vinegar-y scent completely. I add 10 drops of Ylang Ylang and 10 drops of Lemon essential oils to my 8-ounce bottle of toner (made with 2 parts ACV and 6 parts green tea/distilled water) and the scent of it doesn’t bother me at all. In fact, maybe this makes me a freak, but I actually relish the scent, because I know that the “secret” ingredient is working wonders for my skin! Also, the smell only lasts until the toner dries on your face.

I couldn’t say if you’d still get the benefits of the ACV if you rinsed it off a few minutes after application. You probably need to postulate that question to Casper’s Mum or Magda (licensed estheticians).

Anyway, as I said, the smell only lasts until the toner dries on your skin. If you’re smelling it long after that, it’s probably because the scent is stuck in your nose. I know this sounds crazy, but the same thing happens to me when I shovel my cat’s litterbox for the little “gifts” that they’ve left me – the smell of it gets up my nose and stays there long after I’ve completed that loathsome chore. Believe it or not, the only thing that makes the “stink” leave my nasal scent detectors is to actually blow my nose!! Why don’t you give that a try next time and see if that doesn’t help relieve you of the ACV smell...?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:09 am      Reply with quote
I also use Ylang Ylang and a couple drops (2-3) of peppermint oil it's really strong so don't overuse.
The smell for me goes away really fast. Certanly it is not noticeable after it is dry. I use it first thing in the morning go do other things to get ready and then use my c-serums and by that time I really can't smell it. Maybe you're smelling it from the pads or clth you use to apply it?

Anyway for me it works really well and I would not give it up for anything. I do like it better now that I use the essential oils.
crazyskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:29 am      Reply with quote
Thank you carekate and sharky Smile I *so* want to keep using the toner so I will keep experimenting with the EO combo, dispose of the cotton ball with care, and make sure I blow my nose! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:52 am      Reply with quote
crazyskin wrote:
I too have a problem with the smell and added and EO blend to my test batch to try to neutralize it. Fifteen minutes after going to bed I had to get up and rinse it off coz the odor wouldn't go away. I envy those who can tolerate the smell as I feel I am missing out on the benefits of the ACV. My question is - if I leave the toner on for a certain amount of time and then rinse it off would it still be effective?

imagine using a litre of it on your hair with henna, my eyes are watering from the fumes... Embarassed

everyone seems to love this acv, might have to give it a whirl!

Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:17 am      Reply with quote
Shelley01 wrote:
Oh, sorry Mabsy! You tried the fluid!! Silly me. How did the fluid end up working out for you?

I liked it Shelley01. I ended up finishing the whole bottle but have not yet repurchased. I'm one of those people that keeps trying new things all the time Smile I've heard good things about the eye cream too but I have not tried it yet.

On the topic of ACV - I don't find the smell of mine to be off-putting. I didn't make it though, Carrie did Smile It is a bit vinegary and the smell does stick around for a while but it does fade off. As an aside, unrelated to smell, I'm pretty sure my Super ACV Toner has gone off a bit. It just doesn't seem the same as before. Mind you, I've had it for quite some time now (few months?).

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:01 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy I had that same problem (seemed fermented after a month or so). Now though since I add the Ylang Ylang oil and some Germaben from the "Personal Formulator" it stays good to the last drop.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:59 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |