Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Retinol and Vitamin C
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 05, 2019 8:39 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone, if I use retinol at night, and do not wash my face in the morning, then apply vitamin C, is that OK? I know you’re not supposed to combine retinol and vitamin C, but is the waiting period while I sleep enough time for the two ingredients not to conflict with each other? I never wash my face in the morning.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 08, 2019 1:50 am      Reply with quote
I think this would be fine, but I'd be inclined to at least rinse my face in the morning.
lin52

Wed May 08, 2019 5:42 am      Reply with quote
I understand several people e.g. Paula's Choice now recommend using vit c and retinol together. I am still sticking with vit c one night retinol the next at the moment but would be interested to hear from anyone using them together.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 08, 2019 9:12 am      Reply with quote
You can combine Vit C and retinol – but you just wouldn’t do it in the same sitting (so to speak). So you wouldn't use Vit C and then apply Retinol immediately at the same time or minutes after per se. I use Retin A and Vit C and have done now since my 20's.

So you can use them at either ends of the spectrum, i.e. Vit C in the morning for sun protection and Retinol at night. I would advise though that you consider using sun protection on top of the Vit C as retinol (like Retin) makes skin more photosensitive to damage.
Also why don’t you wash your face in the morning? During sleep and the night your face produces oils etc and so the morning cleanse can help to sweep that stuff and gunk away and preps your skin for actives like Vit C.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 11, 2019 6:59 am      Reply with quote
Hi, thanks for the replies. I believe that overwashing can lead to skin damage and I don’t believe that my skin is any dirtier when I wake up in the morning. The skin barrier can be compromised also and I only wash in the evening to remove sunscreen and makeup. My skin health is good and this is something I’ve stuck with for years now after reading an article about how French women do not wash their face in the morning. I have no makeup on and the good stuff I put on at night remains on the skin. I do not have acne prone skin so this works for me.

I am not a huge fan of Paula’s choice, I will probably do the overloading with vitamin c for a week and switch with retinol/ retin-a another. Thanks again for the replies.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 13, 2019 6:53 am      Reply with quote
Overwashing can definitely lead to skin issues, but washing twice a day isn't really overwashing unless you are using a very harsh cleanser (and for some folk if they choose to use that kind they won't be able to wash their skin twice a day). However gentle cleansing is a really good habit and one that a lot of the professionals swear by, so it may be something to consider for future if you do have further issues.

Not sure what article you read, but I have a lot of french friends with beautiful skins who do cleanse twice a day and I'm jealous as they look far younger than their age.

If your skin is already good then overloading it isn't such a great idea, and I'm not sure why you would want to? You can seriously apply both Retinol and C just at separate ends of the day for benefit as mentioned above previously.

Also not sure if you saw this thread: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=56706
but it may be worthwhile having a read of that too.
Clammit

Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:44 am      Reply with quote
It here if I am not mistaken.
mrgrtt123
5% products discount

Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
Clammit wrote:
It here if I am not mistaken.

What do you mean by that?
jess2101
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:34 am      Reply with quote
Hi,
why can't we combine retinol and vitamin c?
I have a cream to put at night, which contains retinol and ascorbic acid,
I wonder if I continue to use it Question
miss anna
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
Kate Somerville has a combined retinol and Vit C cream for night time use. I usually do Vit C morning and retinol at night just becasue that's what I've been advised. I think Vit C is better used in the morning.
I was with a micellar lotion in the morning which is very gentle. Have you considered this?
miss anna
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
miss anna wrote:
Kate Somerville has a combined retinol and Vit C cream for night time use. I usually do Vit C morning and retinol at night just becasue that's what I've been advised. I think Vit C is better used in the morning.
I wash with a micellar lotion in the morning which is very gentle. Have you considered this?
Organicskincare55
5% products discount

Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:50 am      Reply with quote
By washing your face in the morning you would eliminate any doubt as to whether the two skincare products would adversely interact.

In addition, when you say retinol, I'm sure you don't mean pure retinol.

As in, you are most likely using a retinol cream/serum that combines other ingredients with the retinol.

So, again, by washing your face you would be clearing the way for vitamin C to do its things unimpeded.
haasya5

Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:00 am      Reply with quote
I think it is not good for face, its better to clean your face before apply Vitamin C. Hope it will good for your face.
mismis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
I asked a pharmacist and he said the Retin A at night is absorbed completely in about 15 minutes. So whether or not you wash your face in the AM you will not be mixing them. I have used Retin A at night followed with Vitamin C AM without washing my face for almost 20 years and constantly get compliments on my 68-year-old skin. Thank you Dr. W.!

We are lucky to know this very simple wisdom that was unknown just 25 years ago.
Immacolata
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:55 pm      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
Hi everyone, if I use retinol at night, and do not wash my face in the morning, then apply vitamin C, is that OK? I know you’re not supposed to combine retinol and vitamin C, but is the waiting period while I sleep enough time for the two ingredients not to conflict with each other? I never wash my face in the morning.

It's now thought they can be used together. I've used them together, but application usually was at least 30 minutes apart. That's because I mix a fresh solution of L-ascorbic acid and distilled water every morning, and put it on after I'm out of the shower. If I'm not mistaken, you get the benefits of vitamin C within the first 30 minutes of applying it. That's what I've read anyway (here I think)

I leave it alone for 30 minutes while I make coffee, walk the dog, etc. then finish my routine, which often includes a retinol serum.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
Overwashing can definitely lead to skin issues, but washing twice a day isn't really overwashing unless you are using a very harsh cleanser (and for some folk if they choose to use that kind they won't be able to wash their skin twice a day). However gentle cleansing is a really good habit and one that a lot of the professionals swear by, so it may be something to consider for future if you do have further issues.

Not sure what article you read, but I have a lot of french friends with beautiful skins who do cleanse twice a day and I'm jealous as they look far younger than their age.

If your skin is already good then overloading it isn't such a great idea, and I'm not sure why you would want to? You can seriously apply both Retinol and C just at separate ends of the day for benefit as mentioned above previously.

Also not sure if you saw this thread: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=56706
but it may be worthwhile having a read of that too.

Super late reply, but it was an old old article from glamour or cosmo. Dr. Dray, the derm on youtube, also doesn't wash her face in the AM.

I continue not to and am hitting 40 soon, and my skin is still in great condition.

As for the C and retin-a. I do so at opposite ends of the day or alternate nightly or weekly. I don't care to combine too many actives, and like keeping things simple these days.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
Apparently, you need vitamin C with retinol so that it functions better. I have read about this many times and it's why most brands combine the two. If you choose to use them separately, then Vitamin C is best in the morning and Retinol in the evening.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:54 pm      Reply with quote
Feliz wrote:
Apparently, you need vitamin C with retinol so that it functions better. I have read about this many times and it's why most brands combine the two. If you choose to use them separately, then Vitamin C is best in the morning and Retinol in the evening.

Thanks Feliz. In what i have run across, i don't think there is enough research on the benefits of vitamin C. I still use it, as I have for years now, but i cannot attest as to what exactly it does, unlike with retin-a/tretinoin or adapalene.

I avoid products that combine retinol and vitamin C as vitamin C is very unstable and i would worry about it spoiling. i hardly use retinol (except for apeel correct on occasion) these days as i prefer prescription retin-a.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:00 am      Reply with quote
There is a highly innovative organic/cosmeceuticals brand: Marie Veronique, which I have used for years. She uses the most innovative approaches and has a lot of information on the benefits of combining a stable Vitamin C with a specific type of Retinol. I have used all types of Retinol and not all work the same, which is strange. I used to use Osmosis for a few years and now I am using Revision Skin care (carried by EDS), which has the best night product with 0.25% retinol.
malgorzatah
5% products discount

Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:35 am      Reply with quote
I personally wouldn't use retinol and Vitamin C (I mean ascorbic acid) in one sitting. Their pH is different, AA likes low pH, retinol - higher. Together, they just can't fully show what they are capable of Smile.
But of course they can be used on the same day - am and pm.
jess2101
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
many dermatological preparations combine retinol and vitamin c for evening use only. Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:37 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |