Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

*~~~~~~~DIY skincare recipe & discussion thread~~~~~~~~*
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Nikita
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:39 am      Reply with quote
Cheeks, thanks for pointing this out, else I would have made up the serum with the wrong Vit C!

I can return the unopened jar, so where should I get the correct version from? All the ones I find online are defined as 'ascorbic' not L-ascorbic, any ideas?

The chemist did say it was distilled but i will double check, in the meantime if you find any other places please let me know!

Looking for L-ascorbic! Smile
diderot
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:32 am      Reply with quote
quacko wrote:
rosebud: I will try to answer both your questions. First, I fixed once a batch of vitamin C serum just with water. Needless to say, it was too runny, also, it was a lot harder for me to dissolve l_ascorbic powder.
Now, I mix it with water, propylene glycol (and a little of HA). That gives it a better consistency.

Second, you can use ascorbic, and not L-ascorbic. I believe ascorbic contains at least 90% l_ascorbic. The rest would be d-ascrobic which is not helpful but not harmful either.

Carekate, you impress so much!! (with you giving away your vit. C serum). And your are right. It hardly costs anything to do the vit. C. (Makes you quetion how much profit those cosmetic industries are making off us).

Should it be asorbic or L-asorbic, I am confused now ...

carakate, what did you use ?

Thanks,
D

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:12 am      Reply with quote
Can't find L-ascorbic anywhere locally, but collected the Propylene glycol from the chemist. Noone seems to have distilled water either...is purified water the same? The pharmacist said it wasnt and that it would have ions in it that the distilled water didnt have. Would this matter?

It looks as if I will have to order the vit c online...
Nikita
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:30 am      Reply with quote
diderot, i think it has to be L-ascorbic as was pointed out earlier. This link helped me understand why:

http://www.xpressnet.com/bhealthy/vitaminc.html

Apparently the L version is much more stable and has increased benefit...

Solgar do vit c crystals - Vitamin C Crystals
Pure L-Ascorbic Acid- so I reckon that would be the best type to buy, I just managed to order it through an agency for Solgar:

http://65.200.170.239/cgi-bin/online_reference_new/online_ref.pl?function=Product&id=96776615517818

Hope thats useful! Smile
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:33 am      Reply with quote
Actually, if you’re really desperate, you could probably just use ordinary tap water.

The reason I specified distilled water is because it’s more pure without all that gunk floating around in it (especially out where I live – trust me, it’s nasty!!). I think if you can’t find distilled water, than purified water would be the next best thing. Or, if you have one of those water-purifying filter pitchers that you keep in your fridge for drinking water, or have one of those water-purifying filter-thingies attached to your faucet tap, that would work too. The point is, you want to use water that is as pure as possible, and unfortunately in most places these days, that ain’t the water that comes out of your tap at home! Confused

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:44 am      Reply with quote
thanks for that carekate...i think ive nearly got all the ingredients then!

This may seem like a silly question but i was wondering...how would you know that this homemade version was working just as well as the branded ones?

I have only ever used the Skinceuticals 15% one....
Cheeks
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:10 am      Reply with quote
Nikita wrote:
Cheeks, thanks for pointing this out, else I would have made up the serum with the wrong Vit C!

I can return the unopened jar, so where should I get the correct version from? All the ones I find online are defined as 'ascorbic' not L-ascorbic, any ideas?

Looking for L-ascorbic! Smile

Hi Nikita

If you go click on this link: http://www.solgar.com/international/UK.htm

it takes you to the Where to find stockists fo Solgar products.

What you want is vitamin C Crystals - Pure L-Ascorbic acid. Type in V in the product search and it will bring it up

My health food store didn't have it but they ordered it and it arrived in a week.

Good luck!

T x
Cheeks
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:46 am      Reply with quote
So back to the water debate!!

I have been looking into both deionized and distilled. The definitions for both are as follows:

Distilled Water: water that has been treated by boiling and condensation to remove solids, inorganics, and some organic chemicals.

Deionized Water: Water that is free of all ions, including calcium, sodium, chloride, and all others.

So in an ideal world the distilled would be better, but given that this seems to be like gold dust in the UK, I reckon that we would be better off using deionized....

What do you think guys??

I shall be the guinea pig and try it - if I grow a third breast on my face or anything weird I'll let y'all know!!!!

T x
Dianne
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:14 am      Reply with quote
In the 'smartskincare' DIY instructions for Vit. C serum it says you can use distilled (preferred) or filtered water if that's any help.
Nikita
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:23 am      Reply with quote
Cheeks...thanks for that...I have found a chemist that are local and a Solgar agency and have ordered the crystals you mentioned....

Still havent found distilled water, but will keep looking until I get the crystals...and if I havent found it by then..then I'll just use purified water...will have to compromise I guess...

Cheeks do you know how effective this homemade serum is? Is it as good as the expensive branded one? How would you know? (I need to reassure myself that all this searching is worth it!!)...thanks!! Smile
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:02 am      Reply with quote
Nikita,
My hubby is a mechanic and he said that the distilled water you buy from garages is pure distilled water. He also said that if you had a filter on your tap or use a water filter, then boil the water, it would be quite pure (although not as pure as distilled).
I also did an online search and if you want lots of distilled water it may be worth investing in a home water distiller.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
loopylori...thats what i thought but felt that the water from garages wouldnt be 'right' for skin use...but i think thats about the only place to buy distilled water! I don't need loads...only enough to make the serum!

I'll try a couple of garages tommorow... Exclamation Exclamation

Has anyone here been using the homemade serum for a period of time? What are the results? Can anyone provide any feedback about the comparison of homemade versions versus Cellex C/Skinceuticals/Vivier??

Any comments much appreiciated...thanks!
quacko
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone know how to make a glycolic serum or glycolic peel?

Thanks,
diderot
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
Nikita wrote:
diderot, i think it has to be L-ascorbic as was pointed out earlier. This link helped me understand why:

http://www.xpressnet.com/bhealthy/vitaminc.html

Apparently the L version is much more stable and has increased benefit...

Solgar do vit c crystals - Vitamin C Crystals
Pure L-Ascorbic Acid- so I reckon that would be the best type to buy, I just managed to order it through an agency for Solgar:

http://65.200.170.239/cgi-bin/online_reference_new/online_ref.pl?function=Product&id=96776615517818

Hope thats useful! Smile

Thanks Nikita, ON TO search for it now Smile

D

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:07 am      Reply with quote
loopylori wrote:
Nikita,
My hubby is a mechanic and he said that the distilled water you buy from garages is pure distilled water. He also said that if you had a filter on your tap or use a water filter, then boil the water, it would be quite pure (although not as pure as distilled).
I also did an online search and if you want lots of distilled water it may be worth investing in a home water distiller.

The garages round here don't sell distilled water. When I called to enquire they first said yes and when I asked was it definitely distilled and not deionized they went off to check. It turned out that it was deionized that they were selling.......as this is what is needed for car batteries etc They thought the two were the same but they aren't (as described above in one of my other posts).

So good luck anyone if you can find a garage that does - let me know!!

T x
seabush
5% products discount

Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:59 am      Reply with quote
I asked the chemist at http://personalformulator.com for a vitamin c serum recipe. Here's the response I got.

"You may want to try as a starting formulation for your vitamin c serum:
Propylene Glycol 85%
L-ascorbic acid 15%

L-ascorbic acid degrades rapidly in water, so I suggest having an anhydrous system (no water) And I also find that glycerin is very sticky and tacky as the base. Also store your serum in a tinted glass dropper bottle system like: http://thepersonalformulator.com/wvss/product_info.php?cPath=15_17&products_id=1193"

Crystal
Cheeks
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:41 am      Reply with quote
Hi Crystal

Thanks for this, my next dilemma is then how to convert these percentages into actual measurements.

If they were both dry ingredients it would be easier....as you could simply say do 17g of one and 3g of the other, but it's not as simple as that!!

I will get some serum made eventually!!

T x
seabush
5% products discount

Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:12 am      Reply with quote
Cheeks wrote:
Hi Crystal

Thanks for this, my next dilemma is then how to convert these percentages into actual measurements.

If they were both dry ingredients it would be easier....as you could simply say do 17g of one and 3g of the other, but it's not as simple as that!!

I will get some serum made eventually!!

T x

I have the same issue in terms of the exact formula. I've e-mailed them back and requested specifics in terms of how much of (e.g., tsp) of each product do you need to create a 1oz product.

I think I need 5 teaspoons of PG and 1 teaspoon of l-ascorbic acid to make a 1oz solution of 15% Vitamin C serum. If I want to make 2 oz., I believe the formula is 10 teaspoons of PG and 2 of l-ascorbic acid. I'm not 100% sure about this.

Here's how I came up with the my figures.

1 OZ = 6 teaspoons.

6 teaspoons x .15 = 0.9 teaspoons or 0.3 tablespoons of (L-Ascorbic)
6 teaspoons x .85 = 5.1 teaspoons or 1.7 tablespoons of Propylene Glycol

Sources:

http://www.thepersonalformulator.com/faq/10001.htm

http://www.onlineconversion.com/volume.htm

Crystal
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:13 am      Reply with quote
My hubby can get me distilled water for about £1 for a litre or £4 for a 5 litre bottle. Now I would be happy to post to anyone in Uk for the cost plus P&P.Not sure how much P&P WOULD BE. I will try to find out. PM me if interested.
I have just found my postage price list from royal mail. A 1 ltre bottle of water weighed 1.040 kg on my scales so according to my leaflet standard postage would be £4.45 (upo to 2kg.
6kg would be £7.86. It is quite expensive to post more than the stuff is to buy. I don't know if there is a cheaper way. Everyone lives so far away it wouldn't even be cost effective to come and collect. Oh well! I have given you food for thought.I'll ask John where is the best place to buy from. He did say he wouldn't be suprised if Tesco sold it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:12 am      Reply with quote
Just thought I'd add sand off the beach makes a wonderful exfoliater. When we go to the sea side Very Happy (no not Blackpool!!! Laughing ) for the day, I bring some sand back, then to clean it, I soak overnight in Boiling water with bleach, then the next night soak in boiled salt water. Once the sand is dry, put it into a glass jar and you have exfoliation particles to add to your cleanser.
Do be careful to only get very fine sand and the edges can sometimes be very sharp. I've only done this a few times but it has worked well for me.
It may be better for a lot of people used as a body exfoiater rather than facial.

5% products discount

Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:07 am      Reply with quote
I'd like to try my hand at making an antioxidant serum with the following ingredients.

Carrier Oils

Black Currant Oil
Alpha Lipoic Acid
Vitamin C (L-Ascorbic)
Vitamin E (A-Tocopherol)
Grapeseed Oil
Seabuckthorn (fruit) Oil
Argan Oil
Cranberry Seed Oil
Raspberry Seed Oil
Pomegranate Seed Oil

Essential Oils

Lavendar, Sweet Orange

Is this overkill? Any recipe suggestions?

Thanks

Crystal
Dianne
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:54 am      Reply with quote
Quako,

I emailed the chemist at the personal formulator for a recipe for a 15% glycolic acid cream and this is what he wrote....

22.40g or 4-3/4 tsp of cream (he suggested the multi lameller cream.)

Mix in 5.95g or 1/3 tbsp of 70% glycolic acid

and 2/3 tsp of triethanolamine to increase the ph to 3.5-4.0

If you want a serum, that would be different altogether. HTH.
Nikita
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:08 pm      Reply with quote
Seabush...is the suggestion that water (of any type) should not be used in a Vitamin C serum?

Which is the best way...to add distilled (or purified) water or stick to Propylene Glycol and L-ascorbic acid?

I am still waiting for my order of vit c so would appreciate any help before i make my first serum tommorow!! Smile

Thank you!
seabush
5% products discount

Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
Nikita wrote:
Seabush...is the suggestion that water (of any type) should not be used in a Vitamin C serum?

Which is the best way...to add distilled (or purified) water or stick to Propylene Glycol and L-ascorbic acid?

I am still waiting for my order of vit c so would appreciate any help before i make my first serum tommorow!! Smile

Thank you!

Nikita,

According to the chemist at thepersonalformulator.com, you shouldn't add water to the Vitamin C serum. The serum should consist of propylene glycol and l-ascorbic acid only. Apparently, water degrades the effectiveness of Vitamin C.

Formulation link: http://www.thepersonalformulator.com/faq/10001.htm

Crystal
quacko
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:24 pm      Reply with quote
Dianne,

Thanks a lot for contacting personalforumlator, and posting the recipe for glycolic cream. That works!! I have multi-lamellar cream (non-oily), and I think it would be a good place to start.

Thanks a bunch.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:48 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |