Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

*~~~~~~~DIY skincare recipe & discussion thread~~~~~~~~*
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:36 am      Reply with quote
Darren, are you gonna 'name and shame' this company? It would be helpful!

Liz x

ps heres a hug for getting shafted {{{{{{}}}}}}}

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:50 am      Reply with quote
Darren's (aka: pbsadhaka) homemade Dark Eye Circle's Buster:

pbsadhaka wrote:
OK. Here is a gift to all you dark circled eyed gals out there. You asked for something to get rid of dark circles - here is a homemade Circle Buster recipe:

Go to your grocery store. Buy a box of regular, old fashioned unflavored gelatin (Knox, for example)
Take a small cup or bowl and put in 1/4 teaspoon of the gelatin mix. Add 1 Tablespoon of boiling water & stir for a minute.

Test it on your wrist to make sure it is not too hot. Then, using a cotton ball, pat it under your eyes as you would an eye cream or gel. Go lie down and listen to some music, or take a bath & let it stay on for at least 30 minutes. Then just rinse it off.

I worked in a day spa & this was our "Circle Buster" Treatment. Gelatin is very high in Vitamin K & Biotin. It will not remove your circles on the first application (but you will notice a difference), but if you do it daily for a week, and then 2-3 times a week for maintenance, you should notice a drastic reduction in dark circles.

The day spa where I worked charged $60 for this treatment (but they put rose petals on your eyelids), and it wasn't until after I quit, that I found out what was in those little white packets!
There you go.....enjoy! Wink

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:45 am      Reply with quote
These are wonderful. Many Many thanks, Carrie!
Big kiss and hug,
KK
quacko
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:43 am      Reply with quote
Thanks a bunch carekate. I cannot wait to try them, especially the aspirin toner.
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:57 am      Reply with quote
Right this Toner looks very good carekate, I am just a little confused here hmm Think I was contemplating making the Vit C serum but then I saw the toner - now some of the girls said that if you put water with the Vit C it reduces the effectiveness???? Aslo what % of Vit C would be in the toner? and if I put Vit C with witch hazel and/or Rose Water would this reduce the effectiveness of the Vit C?
I am such a pain here I know Rolling Eyes Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:44 am      Reply with quote
Rosebud -

I was also confused by the posts that say water reduces the effectiveness of Vit-C, because I’ve checked the ingredient list of several store-bought Vit-C serums, and they all contained water, so I really don’t know what to think... Confused I do know that if I made a serum that contained only Vit-C crystals and propylene glycol (or even glycerin) that it would be w-a-y too oily for my skin. In fact, when I make the Vit-C serum for myself, I modify the recipe so that it includes 7.5 ml of water and 2.5 ml of PG (as opposed to 5ml of each), and it works better for me now that “high summer” has officially arrived here in TX. Maybe I’m just deluding myself, but my homemade Vit-C serum seems to be doing it’s job, so I’m going to stick with using the same recipe I posted (with the slight modification described above). BTW, I don’t know if this makes any difference or not, but I make a fresh batch of serum about every 3 weeks....

I’m actually not certain what the percentage of Vit-C is in the toner. I usually add a teaspoon of Vit-C crystals to an 8-ounce bottle of toner, which seriously dilutes it down. If I had to guess, I’d say that the percentage is probably around 10% or less.

As for whether or not you can add witch hazel and/or rose water to the toner, along with Vit-C...I don’t think there would be any problems if you added rose water to it, but I’m not sure about the witch hazel. If I remember correctly from previous discussions about homemade and store-bought facial toners, there are different kinds of witch hazel. For instance, the stuff you can buy in the first-aid or skincare aisle of your local supermarket or pharmacy for a $1USD contains mostly (“bad”) alcohol, but there are other kinds of witch hazel (can’t remember any actual brand-names, sorry!) which contain little-to-no alcohol, so that’s obviously the better kind to use in skincare, especially if you’re going to apply it to the face....So I guess what I’m trying to say is, if you’re going to put witch hazel in your homemade toner, then make sure it’s the “good” kind. You might want to perform a search on the board using “witch hazel” to find the exact post where the different types of witch hazel were explained in more depth....

HTH,
Carrie

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:22 am      Reply with quote
Homemade "One Minute Manicure"

I don't know if any of you have ever heard of it, but in the U.S. they sell a product called "One Minute Manicure" or "Sea Secret" manicure, which are actually salt and oil scrubs that sell for up to $30USD per jar. I love this product for keeping my hands and nails in tip-top shape, but the price-tag makes me cringe. You can make your own "One Minute Manicure" by following these steps:

What you need:
------------------------------------------
• one generous-sized tub or jar
• Vitamin E Oil
• Castor Oil
• Grapeseed Oil
• Sweet Almond Oil
• Jojoba Oil
• Avocado Oil
• Olive Oil
• Peanut Oil
• Sesame Oil (note: you can use just about any kind of oil that you have on hand, such as emu oil, camelia oil, even vegetable cooking oil if you're desperate!)
• 20 drops Lemon essential oil (lemon oil helps exfoliate dead skin around the cuticules and nailbed, and also helps strengthen brittle nails)
• 1 cup of salt or white (granulated) sugar

What You Do:
----------------------------------------
Pour salt or sugar into jar, then add equal amounts of each oil, stir well to mix thoroughly. Stir mixture again before each use.

How to Use It:
---------------------------------------
To apply, scoop out a small handfull of the oil & salt/sugar mixture and massage it into hands and nails for at least one minute. Rinse with COOL water to remove the salt/sugar granules, then pat hands dry and continue massaging the oils into your hands for 2-5 minutes afterwards. For best results, use at least once daily.

Homemade Body Scrub

Follow same recipe as above, however you may substitute the following ingredients in lieu of the salt or sugar, as desired:

• 1 cup ground coffee (the caffiene is purported to help shrink cellulite cells) or
• 1 cup brown sugar ( it smells heavenly and brown sugar is gentler than granulated sugar so it can be used on sensitive skin or more delicate areas)
• Add a few drops of your fave essential and/or fragrance oils for an aromatherapy experience.

Remember that if you make your body scrub using salt, that you should not to apply it to broken or irritated skin because it'll sting like hell -- how do you think the phrase "pouring salt on the wound" originated?? On the bright side, salt is known to help with muscle-relaxing, so it helps to relieve tension.

FYI - this link has a lot of good info if you’re interested in making your own body scrubs: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/redirect.php?u=http://www.cancerlynx.com/bodyscrub.html#TOP It’ll explain more fully the benefits of using the various types of granular exfoliant options for your scrub, including the aforementioned cellulite reducing tendencies of coffee, or muscle-relaxing components to salt....

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:22 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Carekate that was exactly what I wanted to know Very Happy I am thinking of mixing up the crystals in a tiny biy of rose water or witch hazel. The Witch hazel I have is 100% With Hazel, there is no mention of alcohol on the bottle, as for my Rose Water I have it made up and yes that does contain alcohol. It's like being back in Chemistry lessions here Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:42 am      Reply with quote
hey all,
I just wanted to give you an update. That company finally got in touch with me & refunded the purchase price for those products. I know you guys were concerned, and I appreciate it. Anyway, it's all resolved - so that's over! Whew! Rolling Eyes

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:54 am      Reply with quote
They must have been reading the boards Darren Laughing
pbsadhaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
Dianne,
I know! That's what I thought too! Laughing Really, it's most likely just a strange coincidence. But I'm glad it's al resolved. And without a "name & shame"! Sorry Guapagirl, I know you were looking for a drama! Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:01 am      Reply with quote
I want to try to make my own version of relax-a-line, so I was looking at the personal formulator and I found a product which contains 65% Argireline and 35% ...I know Matrixyl isn't in relax-a-line, but I just like the idea of using it. They say on the site that 2 1/2 tsp in 2 oz of cream gives you 15% Argireline and 8% Matrixyl. I don't know if I need it that strong, and want to make 1 oz or less at a time. I don't want to make a cream though, I want to make a serum. I have no idea what I am doing though, so any advice about how to do this would really be appriciated!! Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:35 am      Reply with quote
Hi Faith,

You can go to this link which Guapa started, it has some information from the chemist at TPF on making your own serum using their AH3/Matrixyl product....

http://thepersonalformulator.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=49

The other option is to email the chemist directly or post on the forum and ask him to give you a formula using the ingredients you are interested in having in your serum.

You can buy AH3 without the matrixyl at....

http://www.cellbone.com/Hexapeptide3_Solution10.htm

I have ordered from them and they were very good. Theirs is 99% AH3 and 1% HA. So you would just adjust your % accordingly.

It looks like the ingredients in the cellular skin relax a line are AH3, seaweed extract, HA and distilled water. You can get the AH3 as above, algae extract which is the same as seaweed from TPF and HA as well. Don't know what percentages of the other ingredients are in relax other than the AH3 but you could adjust it to whatever you like. You might want to add some germaben II to it to keep it from spoiling as well.

HTH
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much, Dianne! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:59 pm      Reply with quote
OK. I just did the asprin mask and all I have to say is that I LOVE it!! It took me a while to do it after I heard about it on this forum, but I wish I had tried it sooner. I had some stubborn blackheads on my nose and they are now 80% gone. I am sure if I do it again in a few more days they will be gone. This is so cheap and effective!!! Very Happy

**edited for spelling

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:17 pm      Reply with quote
Are you guys getting your DIY recipes from this website?

http://www.smartskincare.com/infopacks/
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:50 am      Reply with quote
eSquire415 wrote:

http://www.smartskincare.com/infopacks/

Not me, or – at least – not yet, anyway!! I’ve never been to that website, but I’ll be checking it out very soon. Smile Some of my recipes came from members on Makeup Alley (I always give credit to the author when I post someone else’s recipe/s) and others I created myself simply by trial and error, just like a real cook or chef would.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
eSquire415 wrote:
http://www.smartskincare.com/

I have used my vitamin C recipe from theirs. It is like carekate's recipe, but calls for glycerine instead of porpylene glycol (I prefer the latter). I have also used the DMAE cream recipe from theirs which is like that posted by Diane.
cheezwiz
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:52 am      Reply with quote
pbsadhaka wrote:

I do not know of any suppliers in the UK, but there is Oshun in Canada http://www.oshun.ca/Merchant2/merchant.mv? which is also very good. These are ones that I can think of off the top of my head that have lower minumum purchase requirements. If I can think of any more, I'll post them too.
Smile

Darren thanks so much for posting the link to Oshun. Never knew this company existed. I have been contemplating mixing small batches of products but don't have any clean containers. I've heard great things about the Personal Formulator, but did not want the hassle of dealing with currency conversion.

Oshun is right here in B.C. so no customs or exchange!! Also found their descriptions of essential oils really helpful. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:18 pm      Reply with quote
That's right, they are in BC. Yes, they are really good. And you being in Canada too will avoid all the hassles of customs & currency conversions. I'll try to think of some more sources, but many of them only accept bulk wholesale orders.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
That *is* an awesome site! I've been searching for PG, in small amounts, within Canada ever since I started making my own vit c serum, at least a month now and google never turned this site up. Thank you, Darren! It's hard to keep a US order under $20 CA to avoid surcharges.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
I'm just making up an Ochun order now and at $50 CA tried to checkout, apparently there is $100 CA minimum, fyi.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
Oh really? That stinks...sorry, I didn't realize that there was a $100 minimum. Maybe you could go in on an order with someone else - like a co-op?

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:42 am      Reply with quote
I'm not a creative genius like the rest of you DIYs who have been nice enough to share your recipes, but I did want to share a link to a site with many skincare (mostly bath-type) recipes. It seems like the site sells the packaging & ingredients so is willing to share some great recipes.

I haven't tried any of them yet, but I'm thinking of trying the Hawaiian Sugar Scrub. Sounds yummy! Very Happy Hope you get some use out of this (scroll to the top of the page to see all the recipes):

http://www.pvsoap.com/recipes.htm#recipe

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:29 am      Reply with quote
Hey. I just read on how fast bacteria can grow in products that do not have any preservatives. (natural or unnatural).

So I was rather scared to use my homemade stuff as it does not have any preservatives!

It takes less than 3 days for bacteria to grow!

So what do you guys think? Should i continue using my ACV?
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:36 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |