Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)
*~~~~~~~DIY skincare recipe & discussion thread~~~~~~~~*
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
yuyu
5% products discount

Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
Hi All,

I like to try Carekate's homemade version of Dr. Hauschka’s Cleansing Cream. But I have a few questions:

It contains a lot of oil and almond itself has a lot of oil. wouldn't cream make your face really greasy?

Do you need to clean your face again after using this?

And can you used it to take off makeup or you need to use a cleanser first?

Carekate said 'it should be thick paste, and when apply it, you add water to make it "spreadable" on your face', if it is spreadable, how can you "knead" it into skin like it is said in other thread about DHCC?

Those of you in UK who managed to find the following, please post the store name or the weblinks. Many thanks.

Lysorbic acid, Witch hazel, caster oil(cold pressed), propylene glycol.

Carekate, you offered Vit C and propylene glycol for people outside US, Are you still offering them?

Thanks.

yuyu
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
yuyu wrote:
Hi All,

I like to try Carekate's homemade version of Dr. Hauschka’s Cleansing Cream. But I have a few questions:

It contains a lot of oil and almond itself has a lot of oil. wouldn't cream make your face really greasy?

Hi YuYu and welcome. No - it doesn't make you feel greasy at all. Nicely moisturized, I can't feel any type of film at all afterwards.

Do you need to clean your face again after using this?

No.

And can you used it to take off makeup or you need to use a cleanser first?

A Cleanser (OCM works quite nicely) needs to be used to remove makeup prior to the Dr. H.

Carekate said 'it should be thick paste, and when apply it, you add water to make it "spreadable" on your face', if it is spreadable, how can you "knead" it into skin like it is said in other thread about DHCC?

LOL - got me, but when you figure it out, let me know - cause I still can't figure it out!!

Those of you in UK who managed to find the following, please post the store name or the weblinks. Many thanks.

Lysorbic acid, Witch hazel, caster oil(cold pressed), propylene glycol.

Carekate, you offered Vit C and propylene glycol for people outside US, Are you still offering them?

CareKate is a very generous woman Very Happy - If by any chance she is unable to - I have product I can send to you as well.

Thanks.

yuyu

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:43 pm      Reply with quote
I received a promotion/sale email from Platinum Skin Care today offering their 20% Vitamin C for $69.95 until the 05th of March then it goes back to $74.95. YIKES!! I did take note of their ingrediants though. Could the C we make at home also be made with the Hyaluronic Acid?

"This is an excellent product! If you are on the market comparing Vitamin C serums (Skinceuticals® at $95.00 /Cellex C® at $115), you are looking at a very special product! It has potent Vitamin C, as well as Actigen and Green Tea extract, in a hyaluronic acid base for superior results."

Oh - and for those who are wondering Actigen is (according to their site) - "Actigen®O2 (Panax Ginseng Root Extract) combines the Chinese healing secrets of Ginseng with Gynostemma to increase respiration and protect and nourish dry skin. In particular, increased blood flow results in an increase in the rate of oxygen being delivered to the skin, resulting in in-ceased "respiration". This helps prevent or slow down the premature aging of skin and helps the skin from becoming dehydrated. Enhances delivery of nutrients. Facilitates removal of toxins. Reduces puffiness Alleviates bags under the eyes."

This is what I found about the Panax Ginseng Root Extract. "Boost your mental energy with Korean Ginseng! Also known as Panax Ginseng, this herb has been used for thousands of years in the Orient as a general tonic. Today, it's one of the world's most popular herbal supplements for stimulating energy and for helping the body handle stress.

Official Latin Name: Panax ginseng."

I've made a few batches of C for friends, but haven't used my own (other than a 1 night test). My PSF 20% is almost gone Crying or Very sad - and knowing how simple this product is to make I just can't bring myself to re-order (despite how much I LOVE my PSF products). Just looking for some input here, maybe give the DIY Vit C a kick in the pants??

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:22 pm      Reply with quote
LOL - I about fell out of my chair!! Was surfing skin care sites to see most common ingredients in Vitamin C serums (insomina has it's uses Very Happy ). When I happened across this brand!! $90.00???? For what we are already making in our own bathrooms and kitchens!?

BENEV Vitamin C Serum

$90.00 | SKU# BN010 | 1 oz
BENEV Vitamin C Serum uses the stable water soluble form of Vitamin C (L-Ascorbic acid) that is able to penetrate the outer layers of the skin. Vitamin C is a strong antioxidant and is one of the protective substances that is involved in the capturing or neutralizing of free radicals formed upon exposure to UV radiation. Once penetration occurs in the epidermis (outer layer of the skin), Vitamin C Serum reduces melanin to a colorless substance, inhibiting the formation of freckles, excessive darkening of the skin, and age spots. Vitamin C Serum has a pronounced toning and firming effect on the skin, making it ideal as an ingredient in cosmetics intended for use around the eyes (reduction of puffiness, etc.) as well as skin care products for aging and mature skin.

Ingredients:
Propylene Glycol, L-Ascorbic Acid

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everybody,

Just want to let you all know that there is a thread where I posted a link to DIY conversion calculators for us mathematically challenged. I was going to post it here but I didn't want it to get lost. It really is a great site and has so much more!

Ruth, I was wondering about your list of EO's and how many drops to use in creams and gels. Do the same calculations apply to water? I was thinking of adding some extracts or EO's to my bath but won't buy if it's not safe.
yuyu
5% products discount

Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

I have just started to use CareKate's Dr. Hauschka’s Cleansing Cream, ACV toner, and I am waiting for the last ingredient for the Vit C serum.

Could someone tell me if any/all of these products can be used under the eye and if Vit C can be used on the eyelid?

Also, my DHCC cream seems quite sandy, is this correct or I should grind the almonds more? What is the texture of the real thing?

Thanks

yuyu
CK
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:14 am      Reply with quote
Hi all! Surprised

I read from a previous post that HA can be used instead of PG in the Vit. C serum. I want to know how HA differs from PG in terms of texture and function? And can I use both in the same serum? In what ratio? (Actually I would prefer a lighter texture)

I'm planning to order L-aa and PG/HA from a site in Taiwan. The HA 1% available there contains Imidazolidinyl Urea. Is this different from that available at the Personal Formulation? Powdered form is also available at the Taiwanese site. So which one do you think is better? The liquid one or the powder one?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions....but as this is the first time I make skincare on my own, I'd like to make sure all ingredients are correct.

Thanks for your advice in advance! Razz
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:05 am      Reply with quote
this isn't exactly skin care, more body and emotional care for menstrual cramps:

In your bath, drop Clary Sage and Ylang Ylang oil (I usually do it close to equal parts but according to what smell appeals to me -- I truly believe your body knows what you need!). Just soak and breathe it in.

When you get out, rub (or better yet, get somebody to massage it in for you) some more drops (neat) of Clary Sage on your 'ovary bones' (my BF used to call the lower back area that) and voila! medicine free easement of even the worst cramps....

(i've gotten feedback from friends i've shared this with that it also helps with PMS and hot flashes.)

HTH
daniel7654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
CK wrote:
Hi all! Surprised

I read from a previous post that HA can be used instead of PG in the Vit. C serum. I want to know how HA differs from PG in terms of texture and function? And can I use both in the same serum? In what ratio? (Actually I would prefer a lighter texture)

I'm planning to order L-aa and PG/HA from a site in Taiwan. The HA 1% available there contains Imidazolidinyl Urea. Is this different from that available at the Personal Formulation? Powdered form is also available at the Taiwanese site. So which one do you think is better? The liquid one or the powder one?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions....but as this is the first time I make skincare on my own, I'd like to make sure all ingredients are correct.

Thanks for your advice in advance! Razz

Go for the liquid version of HA, and you will need to adjust the percent of HA where you are replacing PG. This is because HA can change liquid viscosity - ie, using too much will make the HA useless and not enough will not give you the "stickyness" you desire.
CK
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:28 am      Reply with quote
daniel7654 wrote:

Go for the liquid version of HA, and you will need to adjust the percent of HA where you are replacing PG. This is because HA can change liquid viscosity - ie, using too much will make the HA useless and not enough will not give you the "stickyness" you desire.

Thanks for answering! Surprised

But I don't understamd why using too much will make the HA useless? (The liquid version is 1% and if I mix it with water in the serum, it will be less than 1%.... is it too much in this case?)

So which one is more sticky? PG or HA? I would prefer a non-sticky texture for my serum.
daniel7654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
From what I understand PG is used to help the skin better absorb and preserve active ingredients. Your formula would look something like this:

1 tbs PG
5/6 tbs Distilled H20
1/6 tbs HA
1/4 tbs L-Absorbic Acid

This would make (about) 10% Cool.
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
daniel7654 wrote:
From what I understand PG is used to help the skin better absorb and preserve active ingredients. Your formula would look something like this:

1 tbs PG
5/6 tbs Distilled H20
1/6 tbs HA
1/4 tbs L-Absorbic Acid

This would make (about) 10% Cool.

You sure know alot about this stuff Daniel. I'm really quite impressed (well, except for that mineral oil ? on another thread Smile )

Where'd you learn all this stuff?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
Candy8865 wrote:

You sure know alot about this stuff Daniel. I'm really quite impressed (well, except for that mineral oil ? on another thread Smile )

Where'd you learn all this stuff?

I'm modeling full time in Milan and my sensitive, fair, oily, acne prone skin/hair is constantly under attack. So I have been doing research on the side so that I can keep myself in good shape. I'm also studying Natural Health by correspondence method when I have spare time. Laughing
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:38 am      Reply with quote
la vie en rose - Que vous êtes formidable, ma chère! Very Happy

I've just tried your clary sage oil lower back massage tip and - it worked incredibly well! I can't tell you how grateful I am to you. Just wish I'd have heard about this many years ago.

Mind you, my period pain used to be so bad that I'd get unbearably hot, then start shaking and shivering uncontrollably with cold, along with vomiting and passing out from the pain. Although anti-inflammatory tablets from my doc have made a big difference, I've also found that taking starlower oil and having acupuncture has helped a lot. But I'd still get a couple of days of pretty nasty pain each month.

Hopefully, not any more, now that I know to have my clary sage oil at the ready!
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:07 am      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:
la vie en rose - Que vous êtes formidable, ma chère! Very Happy

I've just tried your clary sage oil lower back massage tip and - it worked incredibly well!

merci, merci! i am so pleased it worked for you as well!!!

the shivering, shaking, etc., might be because you, like me, get a slight hormonal fever -- not just from pain. (it used to be a lot worse when i was younger, but it still is there.) try the clary sage and ylang ylang bath before you go to sleep. it will penetrate through the skin as well as the nose (aromatherapy), protecting you from night sweats and wrapping you in a cocoon of care.

rêves doux!
Very Happy
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:34 am      Reply with quote
I'm busy passing on the clary sage oil tip to all my friends who suffer blummin' awful pain each month. I'm sure they'll be grateful to you too!

And yes, my problem is hormonal, apparently. The doc checked me out, just in case, and everything looks absolutely fine. He wanted me to consider having a coil fitted, as he thought it might solve the problem, but my mum and sister went through hell with theirs and needed them removed. So no way. I'd much rather stick to my clary sage oil and acupuncture!

I'll also give the ylang ylang a go. Thankfully, I have some of that already. Smells gorgeous, doesn't it?

Anyway, with all those lovely essential oils, I'm sure my rêves will be très doux, merci! Very Happy

(So jealous of you living in la belle France. I lived there several years ago and was devastated when I had to come back to England.)
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:26 am      Reply with quote
god bless acupuncture!

the clary sage is the real worker in this combo. the ylang ylang is more for the aromatherapy benefits. it 'evokes feelings of deep, languid calm that melt away anxiety, tension and stress' and should be used a little more cautiously as too much can cause a headache and get too sickly sweet. in the past, i've put in a few drops of patchouli if i've overdone the ylang ylang.... and, if you absolutely must go out and be sociable (even though you're feeling like merde), put in jasmine instead of the ylang ylang. with the clary sage, it gives you a kind of queenly feeling (regal but not victorian, if you know what i mean -- lol).

(love love love france! but may have to move your way in the next six months Sad )
Ruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:31 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
pnw
Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:06 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everybody,

Just want to let you all know that there is a thread where I posted a link to DIY conversion calculators for us mathematically challenged. I was going to post it here but I didn't want it to get lost. It really is a great site and has so much more!

Ruth, I was wondering about your list of EO's and how many drops to use in creams and gels. Do the same calculations apply to water? I was thinking of adding some extracts or EO's to my bath but won't buy if it's not safe.

Hi pnw...as you've probably seen in this thread since posting you definitley can use EO's in the bath - I wouldn't use the same calculations though, that would mean an expensive bath + a very strong scented one as well which would probably be nauseating. EO is not soluble in water (will float on top) so for a lovely bath (God I miss a bath!) I would mix about 20 drops of EO with 5 ml carrier oil and mix through the bathwater...then afterwards massage a more diluted oil and EO mixture into the skin for the most beneficial treatment. Hope that helps some.

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:31 am      Reply with quote
la vie en rose - Blimey, it sounds as though I'll be expecting everyone to curtsey and bow before me if I get my hands on any jasmine! Laughing
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:21 am      Reply with quote
Ruth, thank you for the feedback. I'm glad you warned me about the scent being strong - don't want to step out of a relaxing bath with a headache! Rolling Eyes It also seems there is no way to really get the cost and physical benefits of the EO's without a more direct approach. I wonder if things like the kelp from SkinActives would be a better direction for my bath.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:11 am      Reply with quote
For those who’re in to making homemade lip balms, I just saw that the Personal Formulator is now offering the active called “MaxiLip” that can be incorporated into homemade balms, glosses and such: http://thepersonalformulator.com/wvss/product_info.php?cPath=45_63&products_id=1240

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:48 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Ladies,
I have noticed many of you are really liking the IS Clinical Poly-Vitamin Serum. I think it would just be fantastic if someone more knowledgeable than myself could come up with a DIY version for us. I haven't got the experience, and would not know where the best places to buy these ingredients might be but it doesn't look that difficult. So far, I know that the niacin and the green tea extract can be purchased at SkinActives. So can the HA but it is expensive. Does anyone have any info they can add?

Ingredient: Hyaluronic Acid Gel, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B3 (Niacin), Vitamin E Acetate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Lysine, Glutamine, Glycolic Acid, Lactic Acid, Green Tea Extract.
planeart

Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:19 pm      Reply with quote
Hi there Ladies!

I am new to this board and am LOVING it. I know I am going to go broke with all of the great things I am dying to try.

I have a question; I would like to duplicate the glycolic acid I get from makeupartisitschoice.com. It is a 70% strength glycolic acid that you can dilute to different strengths. (I use this in different strengths on different areas.) Personal Formulator has a glycolic acid but its pH is higher than MUACs. How does that affect the product? Also, I don't know with what I should dilute it to different strengths. I want this in a liquid peel form.

Also, What about Hyaluronic Acid? I would like to use PFs Acid as well to duplicate a 70% HA serum that I LOVE. PFs is what they call a 1% strength and they give advice to end up with a much weaker cream product. Can I just add more HA or will that be a bad idea?

I e-mailed the Chemist at Personal Formulator but it takes a while for him/her to get back to you.

Thank you so much for any help!!!!

Brooke
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:14 pm      Reply with quote
Here is an update on some more info regarding a possible DIY IS Clinical Poly-vitamin Serum. Most of the ingredients can be ordered from the Personal Formulator.

Lactic Acid $1.55 4 oz = 120ml
Sodium Hyaluronate $9.75 1 oz = 30ml
Panthenol $2.86 1 oz dry = 28 grams
Green tea extract 4 oz $5.68 = 120ml
Glycolic acid 1 oz $9.50 = 30ml
Vitamin e acetate 2 oz $3.70 = 60ml

In addition, I have seen pure lysine and glutamine and niacin in the regular vitamin aisles, which leaves only the vitamin A palmitate.

I wonder how many batches could be made with just these ingredients?
canadagal
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:27 am      Reply with quote
question: what colour should the ACV look like? mine kinda looks like coke or a dirty ice tea. I used ac vinnegar, green tea and lemon and tea tree oils.
is this what it is suppose to look like? I was thinking of adding some more water.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:57 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |