Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

*~~~~~~~DIY skincare recipe & discussion thread~~~~~~~~*
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:30 am      Reply with quote
That's exactly what my ACV toner looks like.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:36 pm      Reply with quote
just wondering if anyone's come up with a shower gel formula as yet? I have dry skin and need a moisturising wash like Dove but i really dont like the smell. Any ideas to improvise? Also fort he Aspirin mask, is it possible to dissolve the aspirin completely? I find that mine is still grainy no matter how much i crush them such that it acts like a coarse exfoliant on the skin?
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:01 pm      Reply with quote
mojocat wrote:
just wondering if anyone's come up with a shower gel formula as yet? I have dry skin and need a moisturising wash like Dove but i really dont like the smell. Any ideas to improvise? Also fort he Aspirin mask, is it possible to dissolve the aspirin completely? I find that mine is still grainy no matter how much i crush them such that it acts like a coarse exfoliant on the skin?

I have extremely dry skin too. Try the DIY for the Dr H Cleansing Cream, add a bit more oil than called for, you then have a very nice cleanser/moisturizer all in one.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:01 pm      Reply with quote
i meant all over body wash... isnt Dr H cleasing cream meant for face?
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:37 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Homemade Shaving Minimizing Body Oil

What you need:
------------------------------------------
• 8-oz plastic bottle;
• 7.5 ounces of one or more of the following oils (note: if you wish, you can use a little bit of each!):
» Vitamin E Oil
» Castor Oil
» Grapeseed Oil
» Sweet Almond Oil
» Jojoba Oil
» Avocado Oil
» Palm Oil
» Olive Oil
» Peanut Oil
» Sesame Oil (note: you can use just about any kind of oil that you have on hand, such as emu oil, camelia oil, even vegetable cooking oil if you're desperate!) ;
• 35 drops Clary Sage essential oil (this is the one that actually retards hair growth!!);
• 25 drops of any other favorite aromatherapy essential or fragrance (I prefer orange and vanilla);

What You Do:
----------------------------------------
Add all ingredients to large plastic bottle. Shake well before each use.

How to Use It:
---------------------------------------
After shaving, while legs are still damp, apply generous coat of oil to both legs. Try to avoid toweling your legs, instead pat dry to ensure you’re not rubbing off the oil along with the water droplets! Allow oil to absorb 5-10 minutes before dressing. May also be used as a daily moisturizer which you would apply to legs like your regular body lotion.

I'd been meaning to try carekate's Shave Minimising Body Oil recipe for quite some time. Unfortunately, the pure soy oil suggestion that worked for some people didn't do anything for me so I decided it was time for carekate to come to the rescue.

As I'm prone to ingrowing hairs, which leave red marks on my legs for ages afterwards, I decided to make mine with 3/4 vitamin E oil plus the final 1/4 made up of jojoba oil for its skin benefits. Because rose, geranium and frankincense are also great for dry skin, I chose these as the "perfume oils". Naturally, I also used the clary sage EO as specified - the most important part of the recipe.

Although I've only been using this for almost 2 weeks now, the hair growth does seem to have slightly slowed down already. Best of all, though, is that my red marks are definitely beginning to fade more quickly.

So, for anyone with similar ingrowing hair problems, I'd recommend using mostly vitamin E oil as the carrier for this recipe.

Thanks again, carekate! Very Happy
tularyn
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
I just received a huge order from The Personal Formulator, and I'm loving my concoctions (all wonderful recipes I've found here!). I can't stop touching my hands b/c of the homemade One-minute manicure, and the homemade Emulsion Pure is doing wonders for the weird breakouts I've been having.

However, I purchased the sample size of MaxiLip (a last minute impulse buy), and I'm not really sure what to do with it.

Has anyone used this yet? Do you put it in your homemade lip balms? If yes--how much? At what point in the melting/cooling process?

Thanks!
canadagal
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:54 pm      Reply with quote
when you make the ACV toner how long does it last for? Or should I ask how long should you keep it for? I use the exact amounts in the recipe and use it morning and night. I keep it in a water bottle in my bathroom. How long can it keep before I have to toss it?
ayu
5% products discount

Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
Valdi wrote:
Lavander essential oil can be used directly on the skin as well.

Recently I purchased some oils and a few days ago I made a mix of 4 teaspoons of aloe vera gel with 1/2 teaspoon of emu oil, 1/2 teaspoon of wheat germ oil, 1/2 teaspoon of jojoba oil, 1/2 teaspoon of avocado oil and 1/2 teaspoon of palm oil. The last one I added just cuz I had it. Wink

Now I am wondering whether or not I can use aloe vera gel on a daily base? This mix does wonders for my skin. Also the new Vitamin C serum that I made was with distilled water; 10ml water and 1/2 teaspoon of l-ascorbic acid. Is it okay to use just water?

I don't know if someone replied you already... but i think it is ok to use aloe vera on a daily basis. I've used pure aloe vera gel everyday for the past 6 years and it is amazing for my skin. keeps it hydrated and gets rid of scars quickly =)

hope this helps
ayu
5% products discount

Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Carekate

I was wondering if the aloe vera extract is an oil..? Or is it just pure aloe vera gel?

Thanks!
ayu
5% products discount

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
Hey All,

So I tried the asprin mask for the first time, and the results are pretty good.

The problem is, it took me quite awhile to smash 4 tablets of aspirin even when adding water! (could be that I add very little at a time because I'm afraid I will add too much and dilute it). SO anyhow, I came up with this thought:

What if I dissolve the asprin completely in water (as in say 50 tablets at a time) and then evaporate all the water, then what should be left is the aspirin powder! I'm not sure if that is really the case, but this is what I recall from high school science.

Anyhow, I will try it the nxt time I do my aspirin mask, but I just wanted to know if extensive heating of these tablets will cause the active ingredient to decompose?

Let me know what you all think!

Oh btw, one more thing, how thick of an layer should the aspirin mask be? Because I used 4 tablets and that was enough to only cover my nose... so I'm thinking maybe I put it on too thick? Am I supposed to apply it so that no skin shows through? Or is it sort of like a translucent layer so you can sort of see the skin?

Thanks so much for everyone's help!!
tularyn
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:22 pm      Reply with quote
What I do is crush a bunch of aspirins at a time using a rolling pin and store them in a little container (like a small tupperware). Then, whenever I want to make an aspirin mask I just tip out the amount I want into my hand and go.

I usually mix about a teaspoon of aspirin, a teaspoon of kaolin clay, and a healthy squirt of aloe gel. Mix it in my hands and smear all over my face and then get in a hot bath. After soaking for a while I massage the aspirin mask around to exfoliate and then rinse it off.
MeAue

Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:33 pm      Reply with quote
I hope I am not being redundant here... I can't tell if this question has been answered - can I use my homemade Vit-C serum on my eye area. The serum does tingle and sting a bit on my face (especially in the creases of my cheeks!) and I have been afraid to put it on the tender eye tissue. I do have to say it I love what it does to my skin. Should I be using it AM & PM (which I have)?
joziegrozy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
Hello MeAue! Welcome!!! Just use it once a day (I use it in the AM before sunblock) it's potency in the skin is good for 24 hrs... It tingles a bit, but ur skin will get used to it! Did you make it yourself? The PH might be to low...

What % are u using? It might be too harsh for your eye area..... If you really like it there, put some EO (essential oil) along with it in the eye area, just to dillute it! Goodluck! Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
tularyn wrote:
What I do is crush a bunch of aspirins at a time using a rolling pin and store them in a little container (like a small tupperware). Then, whenever I want to make an aspirin mask I just tip out the amount I want into my hand and go.

I usually mix about a teaspoon of aspirin, a teaspoon of kaolin clay, and a healthy squirt of aloe gel. Mix it in my hands and smear all over my face and then get in a hot bath. After soaking for a while I massage the aspirin mask around to exfoliate and then rinse it off.

crushing with a rolling pin is a great idea, but I've never had any problem with them dissolving. I think the uncoated aspirin dissolve faster than the coated ones. (you have to wait for the coating to dissolve)

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
I couldn't find the uncoated aspirin so I use lite coated aspirin, which takes longer to dissolve, so it speeds it up to crush it.
tularyn
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
joziegrozy wrote:
What % are u using? It might be too harsh for your eye area..... If you really like it there, put some EO (essential oil) along with it in the eye area, just to dillute it! Goodluck! Wink

NOT Essential Oils!!!! Essential oils (with the exception of Tea Tree and Lavender which can be applied directly) must be diluted in a CARRIER OIL.

Carrier oils (to my understanding) include: sweet almond oil, apricot kernel oil, olive oil, avocado oil, jojoba oil, hazelnut oil, kukui nut oil, etc.
MeAue

Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
Hey! Thanks for the reply (as you could tell - it was my first post). I used, I think carekate's recipe - 1/4 t. Vit C, 5 ml. dis. water, 5 ml. propylene glycol, and I think I added a touch of glycerin as I do have skin that can dry out easily. I also think I added a drop or two of ylang ylang (but I'm not sure - maybe not, I made a bunch of "recipes" that night). Oddly, yesterday (after using it 2x a day) starting breaking out a bit. Not too bad but disconcerting so I cut down to AM only (don't know if serum was the culprit). So, you think I shouldn't use it on my eye area? Do some people? I was wondering if it would do something horrible, i.e. redden, blister, irritate too much.... If you would suggest it (for a try), which essential oil would you recommend - remembering I am older (45 yrs) and have tender tissue around the eye - don't want anymore lines than there are....!! Do you think it would even be beneficial to try? Thanks so much.
MeAue

Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
O.K., so no essential oil - should I even try the eye area? Like I asked - will it be even beneficial or just forget it? I certainly don't want to create any problem for myself but if there are benefits/results I would try it.
tularyn
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry... I might not have been clear. You can probably include EOs, but they can't be used to dilute something as they need dilution as well.

My eye area has gotten crepier and drier and a little irritated lately--I don't know what the cauase is--it could be a few things, but I HAVE been spreading my homemade C serum all over my face this past week (just made it) and it's gotten around the eye area. Don't know if this is the cause of my irritation (since a few other things could be culprits) but you might want to be careful or wait until you get some more responses as I am FAR from an expert Very Happy
MeAue

Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah - since you're my guinea pig - I won't try it as I don't want to risk anymore crepiness or drying as that is my current problem - somehow I need "a miracle" or something that is really hydrating to take away the lines. I was hoping the Vit-C was the miracle - but alas... This answer my question. Very Happy
PhoebesMeow
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:20 am      Reply with quote
About the Apple Cider Vinegar Toner... I'm not sure if this is mentioned anywhere and your bottle of Apple Cider Vinegar may not even tell you but did you know there are two kinds out there? Pasteurized and non pasteurized? They started pasteurizing it to make it "look better". More of a uniform color, no chunks floating in it, stuff like that. Then they found out it wasn't as good for you when it was pasteurized! Pasteurizing it removes delicate nutrients and enzymes. I know this too be true for taking it internally so I'm assuming it would be best to use the non pasteurized for your skin as well. Sorry if this is already mentioned but I did a quick search for pasteurized on this website and nothing came up.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:47 am      Reply with quote
I would have liked to have appended this onto my post regarding the “Essential Oil Guide to Hair and Skin” and/or the carrier oil guide, but that is no longer an option since they removed the “edit” option from posts more than a few minutes old. Sad

Anyway, I know a lot of folks have recently become interested in the benefits of various hydrosols so I thought it would be helpful to post a basic primer on the more common hydrosols available and the benefits of each.

Let me make it clear that I obtained this info from the Nature’s Gift website and did not compile it on my own. Also, this is meant to be only a basic guide and not a comprehensive study of hydrosols so if you have one that interests you, by all means dig a little deeper and perform some research of your own and if you can find any info that you feel should be appended to this post, feel free to share it!

So let’s get down to business, shall we?!

What is a hydrosol?
--------------------------------------
Often also referred to as “floral water," they are a safe, gentle and less-expensive alternative to the use of essential oils. Hydrosols are the result of the by-product of the steam distillation process that produces essential oils.

During the distillation process for EOs, the steam containing the actual oils are chilled, thus turning into water, with a layer of EO floating on top. The EO's are skimmed off, bottled and sold as pure, precious essential oil -- the actual "essence" of the plants, if you will. In some cases the remaining water is just discarded. However, this water contains both minute molecules of the Essential Oil, as well as all the water soluble elements of the plant that are not present in the Oil.

Hydrosols have many uses. They can compliment the EO's, as well as extend the scope of the oils themselves. They also allow us to experience some of the benefits of, for example, true bulgarian rose oil at a much more affordable price. I use them to 'back up' the EO's that I use.

Sample uses:
• Helichrysum Hydrosol is known to sooth the redness of rosacea or other skin inflammations (rosacea sufferers, take heart!);
• Lavender or Chamomile hydrosols can soothe a sunburn or also function as a relaxing 'monster spray' to banish night-time monsters;
• Chilled peppermint hydrosol is the ultimate summer cooler, either spritzed on, or a bit added to a bottle of spring water;
• Rose Geranium hydrosol is said to calm 'power surges;'
• Melissa Hydrosol is a wonderful 'blotter' for oily skin (oooh, I'm going to have to try that one!);
• Lavender or tea tree hydrosols both make gentle antibacterial toners for skin with acne.

Specific benefits of the more common hydrosols:
Carrot Seed Hydrosol - Carrot Seed Hydrosol is the hydrosol of choice for aging skin. Carrot seed EO is recommended for treating wrinkles, scar tissue, etc., so it stands to reason that the hydrosol would be recommended for the same uses. Very gentle, without the distinctive scent of the EO (actually, the hydrosol smells more like fresh carrots than the seed.), Carrot seed hydrosol makes a wonderful toner or gentle cleanser for mature skin. It is a great base for a homemade face cream.

It is also recommended for its cellular regenerative powers for healing razor burn, abrasions, dermabrasion, etc, as well as for being anti-inflammatory and soothing to irritated, itchy dry skin, as well as for calming eczema and psoriasis.

Roman Chamomile Hydrosol - Roman Chamomile Hydrosol is extraordinarily valuable ... soothing and relaxing. I know of nothing better to sooth dry, flaky, itchy skin, rashes, acne, eczema, etc. Skin problems including the mucus membranes, including mouth, gums, respiratory tract and anal and genital areas may safely be treated with this gentle and relaxing anti-inflammatory.

A compress of Roman Chamomile gently eases a migraine, as well as easing tired eyes, and soothing inflamation of the eyes. Some authorities recommend it for intestinal spasms and urinary tract infections. The Essential Oil is known to be effective against muscle spasms. I personally take the Hydrosol orally for intestinal cramps and spasms. A pregnant friend used it as a sitz bath when she developed hemorrhoids. I use it to soothe 'sandpapery' eyelids when I've been on the computer too long, and to 'get the red out'.

Roman Chamomile water has been especially recommended for skincare for delicate complexions with allergic tendencies. A mild astringent, it is an excellent skin toner, but probably should not be used over the long term by very dry skin. It's astringency would benefit oily or inflamed skin.

Roman Chamomile is also known for its calming, almost sedative qualities. A spritz of Roman Chamomile Hydrosol in the air can calm the crankiest two year old. My son and daughter in law were amazed at the change from 'cranky baby' to 'happy baby' when I sponged my grandson's face and arms with this wonderful liquid. I normally blended our Roman Chamomile and Lavender hydrosols for washing my grandbabies, or spritzed the crib sheet with the blend before putting them to bed.

Jeanne Rose suggests a spritz of Roman Chamomile Hydrosol in the mouth for easing teething pains.

Roman chamomile hydrosol is a wonderfully soothing stress reliever for adults, as well as children.

I personally have used this Roman Chamomile as an eyewash when my eyes were tired, itchy and irritated...when I felt like I might be starting to come down with conjunctivitis. Hindsight being 20/20, I would recommend making a compress of the hydrosol the next time. There is too much risk of infection spraying anything in the eyes.

Cistus Hydrosol - Wonderful added to a clay masque to detoxify the skin and/or the lymphatic system.

Suzanne Catty recommends Cistus hydrosol as an immune system booster, and to clean wounds, since its astringency can help stop bleeding as well as promote healing. She also recommends the use of the hydrosol in a douche (perhaps combined with Helichrysum) or internally to treat endometriosis.

She recommends Cistus hydrosol as a toner to help alleviate wrinkles, since one of its effects is to "plump up" skin cells and erase fine lines.

Clary Sage Hydrosol - Like the essential oil, Clary Sage hydrosol is a mood elevator. I would like to see it used with peppermint hydrosol (or alone) as a remedy for hot flashes.

Suzanne Catty recommends the internal use of Clary Sage Hydrosol for treating a range of PMS related difficulties...cramps, bloating, water retention, moodiness... as well as for treating menopausal symptoms. She also recommends using clary sage hydrosol during childbirth...a compress of eight ounces of the hydrosol, with three drops of Clary Sage oil and three drops of Blue Tansy oil (tanecetum anuum)... use as a warm compress on abdomen or lower back for relieving the pain of contractions.

For skincare, Catty recommends blending with peppermint, rose, or geranium hydrosol as a gently astringent toner.

Rose Geranium Hydrosol - This hydrosol of Pelargonium graveolens is cooling for hot flashes, especially when blended with Peppermint Hydrosol, as either a spritzer or in a glass of cool water.

Geranium is thought to be a cellular regenerative, thus the hydrosol is the toner of choice for mature skin, or the perfect liquid to use in creating a facial masque. Like Geranium Essential Oil, Rose Geranium Hydrosol is recommended for balancing combination skin, since it balances both oily and dry skin. Suzanne Catty says that it is a humectant, wonderful for dry skin, or mixed into a clay and honey mask. She also recommends it as an anti-inflammatory, useful for sunburns, Rosacea, rashes, any condition where redness or heat is present. (I think blending with Helichrysum hydrosol or even Yarrow hydrosol would improve its anti-inflammatory properties, and the Rose Geranium would certainly improve the aroma of the Yarrow water!)

Helichrysum Hydrosol - The most powerfully anti-inflammatory essential oil, and an essential component in Rosacea and bruise blends. This gentle hydrosol is the perfect toner for Rosacea, couperose (thread veins) and inflamed skin. It is a wonderful cool compress for bruises, as well. Having seen how wonderful Helichrysum's essential oil is in healing scars, I'd suggest trying the hydrosol (perhaps blended with carrot seed hydrosol?) for treating acne scars.

We've used it diluted (and sometimes mixed with Tea Tree hydrosol) as a mouthwash after oral surgery or tooth extraction. Suzanne Catty recommends it as a mouthwash for gingivitis and/or receding gums.

If you enjoy the essential oil, the Hydrosol is a must have!

Lavender Hydrosol - The "all-purpose" Essential Oil plant also yields an "all purpose" Hydrosol. Lavender hydrosol is gentle, balancing for all skin types, cooling in summer's heat, soothing sunburns, healing irritation, gently tones oily, dry and mature skin, cleanses gently and safely. Lavender has always been recommended for fragile or damaged skin. The hydrosol makes a wonderful ingredient for face masks for all skin types, a gentle toner or cleanser; and a great mister to ease sunburn or windburn.

Emotionally, Lavender Water is relaxing and revitalizing. It can ease stress and reduce mental fatigue. Lavender is an "adaptor," adapting itself to your body and your psyche's needs, soothing or revitalizing as needed. Jeanne Rose recommends it as a remedy to jet lag.

This lovely floral water a wonderful addition to creams and lotions, and Colleen K. Dodt recommends it for infant care.

Please be aware that Lavender Hydrosol does not smell the same as the essential oil. No hydrosol truly matches the EO that is produced with it, but Lavender seems to vary more widely. The aroma probably differs because the linalyl acetate is not present in the water. Shirley Price suggests adding a small amount of either Geranium or Peppermint hydrosol to improve the aroma.

Spike Lavender Hydrosol - Spike Lavender is the most powerfully antibacterial member of the Lavender family. We can see using this delightfully soft scented floral as a toner/wash for oily skin or acne.

Courtney tested it out with her teenaged brother and his friends...they all liked it, didn't think it smelled too "girly" for their use. We are experimenting with a blend of witch hazel (the kind from the drugstore, with alcohol added) and Spike Lavender Hydrosol for an aftershave for troubled skin.
We had expected this lovely water to smell camphorous, as does the oil which is its co-distillate, however, we were pleasantly surprised by the soft herbal scent that we all loved. Unanimously, we prefer its aroma to that of our true Lavender hydrosol.

We've heard that the hydrosol is also helpful in easing the symptoms of Psoriasis and Eczema, either used as a compress or as an ingredient in a lotion or cream.

Ledum Hydrosol - Another new herbal water from Canada, Ledum groenlandicum, , often called Labrador Tea or Greenland Moss. Ledum is said to be a powerful detoxifier, and a support to both the liver and the immune system. Also said to stimulate lymphatic circulation. May have anti-inflammatory effects. Recommended for use during recuperation from major illness.

Like the rare essential oil that is its co-distillate, Ledum water is a powerful healers tool. We have only a limited amount.

(One client writes of using a spritz of ledum hydrosol on feet and ankles to help ease Restless Leg Syndrome.)

Because of the strength of Ledum Hydrosol, we recommend avoiding its use during pregnancy or with small children. If using internally, please use only half as much as you would any other hydrosol.

Lemon Myrtle Hydrosol - Many of you already know our strongly antibacterial Lemon Myrtle Essential Oil. We finally splurged on some of the hydrosol, as an experiment...weren't sure we would like it. Newsflash...we all love it! Bright, delightfully tart and refreshing lemon flavored, we are using it as a room spray, adding to a glass of ice water for a refreshing drink, one friend is using it as a toner for skin that is oily and acne prone (although I would be cautious in its use on sensitive skin.) Because of it's strongly antibacterial qualities, I am much less concerned with spoilage with this hydrosol than I am with some of the others available.

Melissa Hydrosol - Melissa is known for its anti-viral effects. The hydrosol may be of use in a compress to help ease the symptoms of shingles. The anti-viral power of Melissa Essential Oil is well documented. My supplier adds a teaspoon of the hydrosol to her water bottle every day during the flu and virus season. It is also often recommended to settle upset stomachs, recommended for both nausea and indigestion.

Melissa is a great toner/astringent for oily skin, as well. I don't recommend the essential oil in skin care since it can be irritating. This is where the gentleness of the hydrosol makes it the delivery method of choice. Hope uses it as a morning toner for her oily skin, and one client writes that it has helped her hormonal acne tremendously.

Jeanne Rose writes that Melissa hydrosol has powerful uses in skin care products, that it is antifungal, relieves skin infection and breakouts and can cure herpes. The hydrosol is considered useful in tonic drinks for 'attention deficit disorder' and dietary uses.

Shirley Price recommends Melissa Hydrosol for regulating irregular periods, relieving painful menses, and controlling PMS.

It has a brisk, lemon-like scent and flavor that I find refreshing and revitalizing

It is also recommended for times of emotional crisis. Emotionally, a spritz of Melissa hydrosol for the face or body may bring emotional calmness, soothing anger, and relieving insomnia. Melissa is both uplifting and antidepressant, as well as being relaxing. and yummy!

Neroli Hydrosol - This imported hydrosol, distilled from the blossoms of the Bitter Orange tree, smells the way orange blossoms should, mild and sweet enough to drink. I have been using it as a cologne to echo my Reunité blend (which I often wear as perfume.) I spray it in the room when any of us are feeling anxious or stressed. Instant release. Some of my friends have talked about making a sorbet of a blend of the rose and Neroli hydrosols. (Perhaps we need to contact Ben and Jerry's?). A spritz or two in a glass of spring water is soothing and emotionally settling. Wonderful stuff! (I like a drop added to a cup of black sweet coffee, and always thought it was weird, until I recently read that Neroli can help calm "coffee jitters", not that I'm ever jittery, of course!)

A client mentioned that she uses a spritz of this to calm her cat when it needs a trip to the vet. My daughter the groomer took this idea and ran with it; she uses the Neroli Hydrosol to calm nervous animals before bathing/grooming them. Says it works like a charm!

Another friend reports using Neroli Hydrosol as a body spray during her daughter's labor and delivery. The new mother stayed cool and calm, the Neroli helped immensely. This same friend reports that using as a toner, on a regular basis, seems to be helping with thread veins (couperose). Shirley Price recommends Neroli water for people suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder or to relieve stress or emotional upsets.No end to the uses of this sweetly scented floral water.

Neroli hydrosol is mildly astringent and may be the hydrosol of choice for oily skin. If it is your choice, try blending it with rose, chamomile or geranium. It is superb for oily or acnied skin. Anita Ink recently wrote: "I have combination skin, and have found the neroli hydrosol to be a good toner and balancer for both the oily and drier areas. In the dry areas it smooths and polishes my skin without excessive tightening, and I follow that with a light moisturizer. In the oily areas I use several spritzes of neroli and rub it in well. It really tightens the pores and gently clears any oily debris that might be lurking under the surface. Makes skin care ultra easy...and fun!"

One friend uses either a spray of Neroli Hydrosol or a dampened cloth to wipe her toddler's face to ease him out of a temper tantrum. Price recommends its use for over-excited babies, since it is calming without causing sleepiness.

Oregano Hydrosol - Much has been written (elsewhere) about the antibacterial properties of Turkish Oregano Oil. There are those who recommend internal use of the diluted essential oil for any and all medical conditions. (I don't, but that's another story!) However, it seems to me that if one were to want the germ killing effects of Oregano oil, this gentle hydrosol would be a much safer and more effective way to experience them. Much gentler and lighter in aroma than the essential oil it still is definitely oregano scented, but lighter. yummy!

I can see using this hydrosol as a mouthwash, as a gargle for sore throats. Moisten a clay mask to apply its antibacterial effect to acne. If one of our fur family ever develops a cut that could become effected, this would be the wound-cleaner I would reach for. Internally it has been traditionally used in the Near East as a daily beverage to aid digestion. It is a general health tonic.

Peppermint Hydrosol - This delightfully mild hydrosol from an Organic farmer in the Midwest is that rarest of goodies, an organic Midwestern mint. She doesn't produce enough of her lovely distillate to offer us an organic essential oil, but the hydrosol alone is well worth the search.

Gentle and delicious, I would, first of all, use this lovely herbal water chilled in ice water after a full dinner, or to calm an upset stomach. A wonderful "spritzer" in the car to both keep the driver alert, and allay any chance of carsickness among the passengers.

I would recommend blending it with Rose Geranium Hydrosol to counteract or minimize "Power Surges". I plan on adding a few drops of it to a pitcher of lemonade or iced tea when the weather warms up. Mint's astringency should make it the perfect summer toner for oily skin. There is no end to the uses I can think of for this one!

I'm grateful to the new friend who produces it, and the old friend who introduced us! More affordably priced than the nonorganic Spearmint hydrosol we used to offer, and better flavored, as well.

Other suggested uses: Peppermint Hydrosol is a great mouthwash/breath freshener, I've seen it recommended as a coffee substitute when you need a quick energy lift, a mild antiseptic, it will gently ease the itch of rashes and stings, a great, soothing after shave, easing razor burn. It's helpful in combating a hangover, since it both settles the stomach and energizes. Wonderful at settling an upset stomach, and added to cold water Peppermint hydrosol is the ultimate thirst quencher. Suzanne Catty recommends its internal use in combating the effects of IBS or Crohn's Disease. (Please consult her book Hydrosols, The Next Aromatherapy for details on internal use for treating serious medical conditions.) Applied topically, either as a spray or with a moist compress, it is a wonderful "de-itcher" for mosquito bites, poison ivy, or any sort of itching.

Unlike most of our hydrosols, I would not recommend using this with children. I'd avoid using it with toddlers.

Rosalina Hydrosol - Known as "Lavender Tea Tree", Rosalina combines the germkilling power of Tea Tree and the gentleness of Lavender. A wonderful oil or hydrosol for use with young children. It is a mild and slightly astringent skin toner for normal to oily skin types. Rosalina Hydrosol would be an ideal spray on treatment for cuts, scrapes and insect bites since it is mildly analgesic and antibacterial. I've read that it makes a wonderful gargle for bad breath. I have seen its internal use recommended for gastro-intestinal tract infections and as a non-irritating douche for vaginitis and thrush.

Rose Hydrosol - First and foremost, must come the rosewater written of by authors throughout history. Rosewater has been used through the millenniums for religious ceremonies, as a courtesy to guests, for physical, emotional, and spiritual healing. Today, the best rose hydrosol is distilled in Bulgaria, although France also has a thriving rosewater industry.

Rose hydrosol is wonderful in homemade skin care products. It can be used by itself as a toner, used to moisten a mask, or used in place of water in lotions or cosmetics recipes. Rosewater stimulates the skin, heightening the blood flow. Experts disagree about using it on extraordinarily sensitive skin. Rosewater controls and balances sebum production, making it useful for both dry and oily skin. It can balance and restore the skin's Ph and helps tighten pores. Its antibacterial properties help fight acne giving troubled skin a gentle, rather than a harsh treatment. It is reputed to be useful in the treatment of all sorts of dermatitis. Suzanne Catty recommends blending Rose Hydrosol with Cistus Hydrosol as an anti-wrinkle treatment.

In Bulgaria, there is much scientific research being done about the therapeutic and medicinal benefits of Rosewater indicates that Rosewater, taken internally. is effective against strep and staph infections, among many others. Rosewater has been recommended as a gargle or throat spray for sore or inflamed throats.

Bulgarian Rose Hydrosol is a wonderful woman's tool for healing. It may be used externally, as a facial or body spray, or in a compress. Some recommend taking a teaspoon of the hydrosol to calm stress and anxiety. Others recommend a rosewater douche as a treatment for frigidity; it seems to act on both the body and the psyche to gently bring down barriers. Catty recommends taking Rose Hydrosol internally to help balance female hormones. She writes that by helping balance the endocrine system it can combat PMS, menstrual cramps and moodiness, as well as assist during menopause.

Rosemary Verbenon Hydrosol - Excellent for skincare, Rosemary Verbenon Hydrosol is said to work on the middle layers of the skin, calming irritation and skin problems "from the inside out." In steam or a warm compress it is recommended to help bring skin impurities to the surface and decongest clogged pores. Rosemary Verbenon hydrosol has very strong antioxidant properties and is a free-radical scavenger. Nelly Grosjean recommends it as a skin regenerator. We recommend it as a part of any anti-aging routine.

Jeanne Rose says that this softly scented herbal water is a gentle tonic for all skin types, it is antifungal (all external uses) and can be taken internally for anti-aging, liver problems and candida. Catty says that it works on the middle layer of the skin, calming irritation from the inside out. Us it in a steam or hot compress to bring impurities to the surface and decongest clogged pores. She suggests combining it with Rose geranium, melissa, roman chamomile, and carrot seed hydrosols for skin rejuvenation.

Susanne Catty recommends taking Rosemary Verbenon Hydrosol internally for treating the respiratory system and problems of congestion and mucous. She also recommends its use in a hot compress over and/or around the ear to aid with ear infections.

Read more about these, and our other hydrosols on our descriptive hydrosol listing.

White Sage Hydrosol - Brand new, from Canada, a potent herbal distillate from the distiller of our White Sage Oil. This is the most aromatically powerful hydrosol I have ever encountered. (One of my staff commented that she has seen samples of essential oil come through here that were less intense, aromatically.) This is the desert sage that has been used for millennium by Native Americans for ritual, smudging and healing. Those sensitive to the energetics of the oils and hydrosols will be amazed by this White Sage water...and find a hundred uses for it. We already are using it to clear crystals, Debi is going to use it instead of smudging when she's in a place that burning sage is not advisable. (setting off the smoke alarm in a hotel room is not the way to endear yourself to the staff.)

Suzanne Catty recommends Sage Hydrosol as a hormone balancer, useful for PMS and menopausal symptoms.

I have seen Sage Hydrosol recommended for treating oily skin and acne. Its antiseptic properties would help with eczema and other skin conditions as well. Price states that it is both astringent and antiseptic, suitable for treating acne and very oily skin. She writes that it also improves the appearance of mature and inflamed skin.

Shirley and Len Price recommend gargling with Sage Hydrosol to soothe and heal a sore throat. They also recommend it as an aid against hot flashes, during menopause.

WARNING: Jeanne Rose says that the hydrosol of Salvia officianalis (sage, but not white sage) must be avoided whenever there is high blood pressure, that its use, in any dilution, will raise blood pressure. I am not certain whether the warning would apply to White Sage or not, but caution should be used.

Black Spurce Hydrosol - Brand new, from Canada, a delightful water distilled from the branches of wildcrafted Pinea mariana.. I ordered the hydrosol because after my recent bout of pneumonia, I found I could not get enough of our Black Spruce essential oil, so I've been taking the hydrosol internally in spring water. Susan Catty recommends Black Spruce for boosting the immune system, as well as for the respiratory system, so it seemed the perfect remedy for what ailed me.

Ms. Catty recommends Black Spruce hydrosol to revive the adrenals in times of stress, and as a compress to ease painful and inflamed joints. She also recommends a spritzer of black spruce and peppermint hydrosols to tone the breasts...to "add visibly and not insignificantly to both the size and the tone of the breast tissue". I'd love feedback from someone who tries this.

She goes on to write that Black Spruce is a stimulating and restorative body spray and good aftershave that can connect us with the ancient wisdom of the trees.

St John's Wort Hydrosol - New and experimental. This is a newly produced hydrosol, and it remains unclear how many qualities of the herb come through the process of steam distillation. I have read that the hydrosol is proving to be a mild euphoric, perhaps useful in cases of Seasonal Affective Disorder, and of asthenia.

Taken internally it is a mild laxative and is said to be very effective in combating intestinal spasms and colic.

And speaking of spasms, one client recently wrote that she was suffering from severe muscle spasms. She tried spritzing chilled St. John's Wort Hydrosol "where it hurt" and was amazed at the immediate relief she experienced.

It is a wonderful skin toner, healing, regenerative and soothing, softening and clarifying the complexion. We have always recommended (and had wonderful feedback) the use of Helichrysum Hydrosol for Rosacea...I'd like to see some of our clients with Rosacea try St. John's Wort as an alternative. Anita Ink recently wrote:

I've been using the St. Johns Wort hydrosol on cotton compresses for irritated eyes--it\'s very refreshing and helps reduce redness.
Suzanne Catty writes that internal use of the hydrosol has shown effects in easing back pain, and improving the overall well being of those suffering chronic back pain.

Unlike other forms of the herb, the hydrosol does not seem to present any problems with photosensitivity.

BBlue Tansy Hydrosol - Our Tanecetuum Anuum essential oil is one of the most powerful, and yet the sweetest smelling of the anti-inflammatory "blue" oils. It functions, in skincare, as an anti-inflammatory skin soother...but smells sweet and fruity, unlike the other high azulene oils.

Now, I love the use of the hydrosols of the blue oils in skincare... but in total honesty, their aroma is less than pleasant. It can be hard to get past the scent of German Chamomile Hydrosol. My British Distiller doesn't even save the distillate...says "it smells so bad no one will buy it" and our German Chamomile hydrosol was not a good seller. So many people ordered it and loathed it that we finally had to discontinue it.

Drum roll please. Blue Tansy Hydrosol smells as sweet as honeyed cider. One wants to drink the stuff. (please don't! I've tasted it, and it's bitter and soapy and nasty tasting.) But it SMELLS wonderful. The producer recommends its use for redness, rashes, burns, eczema and psoriasis. I would use it for allergic dermatitis, since Tanecetuum anuum can have an anti-allergic effect. (Some clients diffuse the oil to help prevent seasonal allergies.) I would use this delightfully sweet water for sunburn, for any sort of burn or skin irritation, for Rosacea, for any condition involving inflammation of the skin. I suspect it would also be helpful for insect bites, rashes, heat rash, etc.

My mentor Sylla used a combination of Helichrysum italicuum and Tanecetuum anuum essential oils diluted in a water spray. while undergoing radiation treatments to protect her skin. She said at the time she didn't know of a source for the two hydrosols that she could trust. Today, if I were in that situation, these are the gentle hydrosols I would reach for.

I've made this highly scented sweet water into a lotion in the past. Courtney raves about it for any sort of itchiness or rash, or dermatitis. She hordes the little bit she has left and is waiting for more of the hydrosol to arrive so I can make more.

Tea Tree Hydrosol - All the anti-fungal, anti-bacterial effects of Tea Tree Essential Oil in a gentle, safe hydrosol. The leaves were distilled for the hydrosol, rather than for the oil, by a master distiller.

I can think of so very many uses for this delicately herbal scented hydrosol. A superb toner for acned skin; a mouthwash for infection or for thrush, a baby wipe if baby has a yeast infection, a deodorant spray, a base for a foot spray, washing out wounds or cuts, treating hotspots on dogs or cats...the list goes on.

Jenine Stanley writes of using our Tea Tree hydrosol in caring for her dogs. She writes:
Tea tree hydrosol is the best thing to dry out, disinfect and generally clear up oozing nasty hot spots, those patches of skin your dog just loves to chew until raw. Tea tree hydrosolis also an incredible ear wash for killing yeast in dogs' ears. You can tell if your dog has yeast as a part of the gunk in the ear if the discharge coming from the ear has a sweet almost rancid smell and is crusty.

I saturate several cotton balls with the tea tree hydrosol and clean the ear as usual. If the ear is very crusty or moist, I will apply the hydrosol directly to the inside of the ear. You want to do this outside and allow your dog to shake its head to clear the debris and excess liquid.

Both of our dogs are male, but friends tell me the tea Tree hydrosol also works to rid female dogs of yeast infections in the vulva. Simply wash that area thoroughly with the hydrosol. For male dogs, some hydrosol on a cloth can help decrease the urine smell around the back legs and stomach." <Editor's comment from CareKate: an incontent dog? Shock who knew?!>

Witch Hazel Hydrosol - Soothing and anti-inflammatory, anti fungal and anti-bacterial. A wonderful toner for teenage skin, as well as a free radical scavenger recommended for anti-aging skin treatments. One of my mentors uses Witch Hazel Hydrosol in all of her creams and lotions for mature skin. I've read that Witch hazel and Rose hydrosols, combined, is a delightful and easy to make skin toner.

Often recommended for use in a compress or sitz bath for varicose veins and hemorrhoids, we have found it useful for fungal infections in "delicate" places when no other remedy seems to help.

Suzanne Catty says Witch Hazel hydrosol is the most antioxidant of the hydrosols and recommends it for psoriasis, eczema, cracked or blistered skin, for treating insect bites, and as the treatment of choice for varicose veins and hemorrhoids.

This bears no resemblance at all to the witch hazel in alcohol that is available at your local drug store. Soft and soothing, with, of course, no "alcohol" sting.

Yarrow Hydrosol - This cleansing and astringent hydrosol is wonderful added to a sitz bath or compress for varicose veins or cellulite. Its cleansing and detoxifying actions make it one of the toners of choice for skin with acne. Also useful as an anti-inflammatory for inflamed or irritated skin (although I would reach for witch hazel or one of our chamomiles for that.)

Suzanne says that used internally or in a compress it improves digestion, quickly relieving indigestion and heartburn, and recommends its internal use as a liver cleanse. She also says that in a compress, Yarrow Hydrosol will help remove accumulation of fluid, from edema or injuries.

My source says this is a highly energetic hydrosol, useful in spiritual healing work, that it provides mental calmness and helps one find peace. It is also recommended for cleansing the aura and cleansing crystals.

It has recently come to my attention that Yarrow hydrosol is almost a miracle cure for any sort of itching skin condition. It almost instantly soothes the itch of insect bites, eczema, poison ivy, sunburn... a wonderfully effective skin soother. I've heard that the hydrosol, used as a compress or as the water phase of a lotion is effective in treating both psoriasis and eczema, soothing the itch, and calming inflammation, and assisting the basal cells of the skin in healing. Jeanne Rose recommends using Yarrow Hydrosol for acne and for damaged skin.

Cornflower Hydrosol - The first choice for swollen or itchy eyes, as a compress for a stye or conjunctivitis. An excellent choice for dry, devitalized, crepey, or mature skin. A general system tonic sometimes recommended for hot flashes (perhaps with a touch of peppermint added?) I have seen it recommended as a douche for reproductive or urinary tract infections. An excellent compress for bruises. Taken internally it is a mild diuretic. A wonderful toner for delicate skin, and a wonderful cleanser for baby's skin.

Please avoid Cornflower's use during the first three months of pregnancy.

Again, these info comes directly from the Nature's Gift website at http://www.naturesgift.com/hydrosol_order.htm.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've already made out my 'floral water' shopping list!! Very Happy

Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
I'm posting this here on behalf of anbloom, who suggested the following resource for buying bottles for your DIY stuff:

http://www.specialtybottle.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=43

anbloom wrote:
I've gotten into the DIY stuff on this site and wanted to let people know that I found this website that has glass and plastic bottles perfect for storing the DIY products and it is very cheap!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:07 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
I'm posting this here on behalf of anbloom, who suggested the following resource for buying bottles for your DIY stuff:

anbloom wrote:
I've gotten into the DIY stuff on this site and wanted to let people know that I found this website that has glass and plastic bottles perfect for storing the DIY products and it is very cheap!

Excellent, thank you!!

5% products discount

Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:48 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy:

I just ordered alot of EO from other website, just wonder how can I mix them, now I am going to order a lot of bottles from the link you provided so I can start to mix them....

Thanks for sharing.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:57 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |