Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

*~~~~~~~DIY skincare recipe & discussion thread~~~~~~~~*
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
whiteoak
5% products discount

Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:02 am      Reply with quote
CareKate:

I am new here, but I have read a lot of your post, and learned so much from them, I really appreciate you take time to share with and guide us.

I have couple qustions for you please.

1. Can I apply rosehip oil directly to my face? I have extreamly dry and sensitive skin due to Tri_luma use, now I am thinking just use this RHO as my moisturizer since right now I am reactive strongly to most of moistrurizer....if I have to mix with carrier oil, which one is the best for my skin problem and how to ? Can I apply RHO several times a day ?

2.About your homemade Vc serum, do you think my skin can tolarate it? will it be too strong?
I know you mentioned that for dry skin I should use 'glycerin' instead of PG, I am still want to make sure for a very dry skin it's ok to use...if I can use it, can I apply several times during the day, so to speed up the lightening?

3. I have found anywhere (google or here) that sells glycerin, do you happen to know?

4. Where can I find you EO guide ?

Thanks a lot for your time and sharing.
Razz Razz Razz
whiteoak
5% products discount

Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:41 am      Reply with quote
Hi, Carekate:

I found your EO guide. That's great, I will have to order more now.....

I have been ordering things from online like crazy ever since I found out this site, I hope my family will not be bothered.... Rolling Eyes

bty,I have checked my local drug store for glycerin, but have no luck yet...
mimsy
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
I ordered cobalt glass dropper bottles and spray bottles from specialty bottle company about a year and a half ago and I was very happy with them- the bottles were very well packed and arrived speedily and in perfect condition. Their prices are really good and they don't require you to order large quantities- you can order as little as one bottle, the prices are still reasonable. Some of the other bottle companies won't deal with you unless you order large quantities. I ordered 100 of the 15 ml cobalt blue glass dropper bottles and six of a larger size and they even threw in a few extra glass dropper tops for both sizes. Love the cobalt glass! The little 5 ml euro dropper bottles are great for EO's, the 15 ml glass dropper bottles for C serum etc. , the spray bottles for flower waters. Their website was posted earlier in this thread by Mabsy I believe. You can buy the same type of bottles at Whole Foods or Wild Oats, but you'll pay at least double the price.

One thing I'd like to mention though is that when the order first arrived, the smell of the rubber part of the glass dropper tops was noticeable and they needed to be aired out for quite a while (I suspect that this is probably par for the course). I had prepared about half of the bottles to use them with flower essences (similar to Bach flower essences, not essential oils). I use brandy as a preservative in those essences, so I had filled them partially with brandy and put them away. I noticed some weeks later that the brandy had taken on a slight odor from the rubber. The odor did eventually disappear but I landed up tossing the brandy out and refilling with new brandy before using them. Be aware that the bottles will need to be sterilized if you want your preparations to last- I boil all parts for about 15 minutes in a big stainless steel pot. You don't need to pull the glass droppers appart from their rubber tops- they will sink down into the water eventually. I then fish them out with a pair of stainless steel kitchen tongs and let them air dry, being mindful not to let the glass droppers or the bottle tops touch anything. Make sure they are thoroughly dry before capping them. Obviously this isn't necessary for concoctions that will only be around for a couple of weeks, a bit longer if refrigerated. Perhaps there is a way to deodorize the rubber without harming or contaminating it, but I don't know of any. In retrospect I might have tried tossing the rubber parts in a plastic ziplock bag with some baking soda for a while in hopes that it might speed the process along.
HTH Wink
jonatan
5% products discount

Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:06 am      Reply with quote
Our skinactives.com forum has a large number of recipes and suggestions. We would welcome the participation and input of any members of this forum.

If you have any questions please send me a note.

Jonatan (from skinactives.com)

5% products discount

Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:37 pm      Reply with quote
thanks Mimsy for such a detailed adivce about sterilizing the bottle....I never thought about sterilizing the bottle before using it, what a timely advice.

Yes,I saw the website link by Mabsy, will be ordering it soon.

thanks again.
tularyn
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:42 pm      Reply with quote
So the rubber tops really won't melt or get misshapen in boiling water?

I have some and I've been trying to figure out how to clean them so I can use for new concoctions.

Thanks for this information! Off to the kitchen I go...

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:02 am      Reply with quote
You're welcome!

No, the rubber tops won't melt or lose their shape. The dropper assembly may need a little coaxing to settle down into the water- I sometimes hold them under the boiling water and squeeze the rubber bulbs with the tongs to get more air out, but they eventually do sink.
Caraprev

Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:55 pm      Reply with quote
I love this thread. This is my first post. I want to thank everyone for allt hre AWESOME info. Wondering if anyone has made their own
IS Vit C Serum
I beleive that someone noted the ingredient below? Does anyonee know the measurements and what percent it would be???? Are thse the ONLY ingredients needed?? HELP HELP HELP! I REALLY want to make this! Planning my wedding so I need great skin and am on a budget.....

Lactic Acid
Sodium Hyaluronate
Panthenol
Green tea extract
Glycolic acid
Vitamin e acetate
todiefor
5% products discount

Thu May 04, 2006 8:44 am      Reply with quote
I just wanted to share some important information about Vitamin C. This is one of the most unstable nutrients known. Exposure to the air or oxidation occurs in only a few minutes. Vitamin C used in cosmetics is only a lable claim UNLESS it is in a delivery system. It will not do anything and is a waste of time and money to include in your formula or recipe unless you use the form in a nanotope delivery system. This is much more expensive and harder to find than regular Vitamin C. Hope this helps.
tidieu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 04, 2006 8:48 am      Reply with quote
Where can one get the Vitamin in a nanotope delivery system?
todiefor
5% products discount

Thu May 04, 2006 9:17 am      Reply with quote
yoshko wrote:
To Carekate,
Do I really need the propylene glycol to make the Vitamin C serum? I would order on the site you recommended but I think $9.00 shipping is quite a lot to pay for shipping. I've looked for propylene glycol in various health food stores to no avail. So I was wondering if there were any other sources to get the propylene glycol. Thank You

Propylene Glycol is dirived for Petroleum and I never use Petrol Chemicals in my formulas/recipes. I always sub glycerin which is readily available everywhere. Hope this helps.
todiefor
5% products discount

Thu May 04, 2006 9:55 am      Reply with quote
tynkerbell wrote:
Hey. I just read on how fast bacteria can grow in products that do not have any preservatives. (natural or unnatural).

So I was rather scared to use my homemade stuff as it does not have any preservatives!

It takes less than 3 days for bacteria to grow!

So what do you guys think? Should i continue using my ACV?

Thanks for bring up this important issue. You can make an all natural product and preserve it from mold by using 1% Potassium Sorbate. This does little or nothing for bacteria growth but if you make small batches and keep it in the fridge, you should be ok. Just think of you DIY products as a fresh head of lettuce instead of a canned veggie to understand the shelf life problem. Germaben (as another poster mentioned) is a great full spectrum preservative and will give you 2 year shelf life. However, this is important to know. Germaben and other preservatives like it are heat sensitive. If you add it to a formula that is above 110F, the heat will distroy it and there goes your preservative and your money. Plus this preservitive has parabens which are skin irritants. You can use other preservitives like LiquaPar (has some parabens buy no methylparaben) which can be added when the recipe is 160F or lower. I like it much better than the Germaben for that reason. You must be sure to mix it in well. HTH
rgw0125w
5% products discount

Mon May 08, 2006 5:17 am      Reply with quote
I have been using the homemade Vit C from Caretakes recipe. I like the results from it but would like to find out how I can get it to have the silking feeling. Mine has more of an oil feel to it, although it absorbs into the skin quickly. Anyone know?

Also I am looking for some Hadralaunic Acid (I know I did not spell that right) do you have a supplier where I can buy it at?
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 09, 2006 5:00 am      Reply with quote
rgw0125w wrote:
Also I am looking for some Hadralaunic Acid (I know I did not spell that right) do you have a supplier where I can buy it at?
http://thepersonalformulator.com/wvss/product_info.php?products_id=1188

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 09, 2006 10:38 am      Reply with quote
skinactives.com also sells HA for cosmetics.
I'm Kiki
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 09, 2006 1:48 pm      Reply with quote
Most pharmacy's will order the PG and Ha or anything else in, for you.. I get mine thru a compounding pharmacy.. No shipping and faaster thatn online... My grocery store pharmacy said they'd order it as well... I can't see paying such HIGH S&H, when there's no need to...
honeybunny

Tue May 30, 2006 10:20 am      Reply with quote
does anyone have any idea how to get ride of blocked pores on your nose?? their so annoying!! and what makes it even worse is that my skin is very oily.

so does anyone know anything that will make my blocked pores go away and anthing that will help my oilyskin??

please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!! Confused Crying or Very sad
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 30, 2006 10:37 am      Reply with quote
honeybunny wrote:
does anyone have any idea how to get ride of blocked pores on your nose?? their so annoying!! and what makes it even worse is that my skin is very oily.

so does anyone know anything that will make my blocked pores go away and anthing that will help my oilyskin??

please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!! Confused Crying or Very sad
Dr. Hauschka Cleansing Cream (or homemade version), aspirin mask or Burt's Bees Orange Essence Facial Cleanser.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 30, 2006 11:56 am      Reply with quote
carekate- You meant if I use Burt's Bees Orange Essence Facial Cleanser then I don't need to use aspirin mask anymore?
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 30, 2006 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
tidieu wrote:
carekate- You meant if I use Burt's Bees Orange Essence Facial Cleanser then I don't need to use aspirin mask anymore?
Not necessarily. I still use my version of the aspirin mask ("DHSSSBFM") but only on the weekend. The rest of the week I get my exfoliation and super-pore cleansing with the BB Orange Cleanser. I would say that for those currently using OCM or DHCC, replace that with the BB Orange Cleanser in your regular routine and then just use an aspirin mask a couple times per week (or however often your skin can tolerate it).

HTH,
Carrie

Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:48 am      Reply with quote
I just did both the homemade aspirin mask and the ACV onter this morning, added a spoonful of yogurt to the aspririn mask for lactic acid effect...wow!!

My skin is tight, and smooth and looks and feels sooo refreshed! I did get a little redness from the ACV toner, but that may've been because I either used too much vinegar to green tea/chamomile tea ratio, or too much/too many essential oils (less is more! less is more! less is more!)...so I rinsed my face w/ h2o after applying..

This is so great to have some homemade and economical alternatives that work so well.
tidieu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:32 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Carrie! I think my skin looks better in the morning with this cleanser than with OCM. Hope I don't break out from it. I am a little worry since I am breakout prone and this cleanser is for dry skin. If it's not for your review I would never bought it. I am so oily that I would not dare to touch anything for dry skin.
nyjlm
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
Recipe for Homemade Decleor Ylang Ylang Aromessence Oil (holy grail product for controlling sebum production for those with super-oily skin):

• 1 Oz. Kukui Nut Oil

carekate where do you purchase your kukui nut oil from? Is there a place that has it with low shipping or other items you need for diy recipes?

thanks! I'm making the acv toner tonight and I'm so excited.
Jennifer
tularyn
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:02 pm      Reply with quote
Personal Formulator has been recommended several times on this board (perhaps by carekate?) and has Kuikui Nut Oil, that's where I bought mine.

The prices are:
2 fl. oz. $1.75
8 fl oz $12.50
32 fl oz $55.20

Shipping charges: I placed a large order--they have all sorts of goodies and your shopping cart will quickly fill up--so it ended up being reasonable. BUT if you only want to buy one thing, it would probably be way too expensive for the shipping. (I just checked and if you ONLY wanted to buy one little bottle it would be like $8.55!!!!!).
www.personalformulator.com
OR
thepersonalformulator.com

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
tularyn wrote:
Personal Formulator has been recommended several times on this board (perhaps by carekate?) and has Kuikui Nut Oil, that's where I bought mine.

Thanks, I didn't even think to look there! I'm starting to make a list of things I want from them Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:14 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |