Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
*~~~~~~~DIY skincare recipe & discussion thread~~~~~~~~*
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Jackie284
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 07, 2010 9:37 am      Reply with quote
thanks Darkmoon x
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 07, 2010 9:38 am      Reply with quote
Jackie284 wrote:
thanks Darkmoon x

You are welcome Jackie Smile

5% products discount

Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:19 pm      Reply with quote
based this on Kassy's fantastic 15% C serum from 3/18/10.

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
1.5 tsp THDA
2 tsp Distilled H20
1 tsp ELS Serum Squalane and Olea Europea (olive) fruit extract, Rosa rubiginosa (rosehip) seed oil, Punica granatum (pomegranate) seed oil, Lecithin, Cholesterol Oleyl Carbonate and Cholesteryl Nanoate and Cholesteryl Chloride, Punica granatum (pomegranate) Seed Oil and Astaxanthin and Tocotrienols and Lycopene and alpha D-Tocopherol and Thioctic Acid and Lutein and beta Carotene, Phytosterols, Ceramide-3.
1 tsp SKB
1/8th tsp Phloretin
1/8th tsp Ferulic Acid
1/2 tsp vodka

Will the ELS serum work OK as my oil or is there anything in there that will negatively react in any way?

Is there enough Vit E in the ELS or should I still add more to the recipe?

Will this serum be OK without an emulsifier?

Where in Kassy's instructions should I incorporate the Phloretin? With the FA in the vodka or just after when everything's assembled?

I really appreciate any input and help.

Thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
mrslid wrote:

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
1.5 tsp THDA
2 tsp Distilled H20
1 tsp ELS Serum Squalane and Olea Europea (olive) fruit extract, Rosa rubiginosa (rosehip) seed oil, Punica granatum (pomegranate) seed oil, Lecithin, Cholesterol Oleyl Carbonate and Cholesteryl Nanoate and Cholesteryl Chloride, Punica granatum (pomegranate) Seed Oil and Astaxanthin and Tocotrienols and Lycopene and alpha D-Tocopherol and Thioctic Acid and Lutein and beta Carotene, Phytosterols, Ceramide-3.
1 tsp SKB
1/8th tsp Phloretin
1/8th tsp Ferulic Acid
1/2 tsp vodka

Will the ELS serum work OK as my oil or is there anything in there that will negatively react in any way?

Where in Kassy's instructions should I incorporate the Phloretin? With the FA in the vodka or just after when everything's assembled?

Thanks!

I'll be glad to give you my 2 cents;

1. ELS will work great, but I would not use more than 1/2 tsp. More than that will be really greasy, and not absorb quickly or easily.

2. 1% vitamin E is optimal in a C serum and I'd say that 1/2 tsp of ELS has enough other goodies to enhance the tiny bit of E that's lacking.

3. ELS has lecithin in it, so that is an emulsifier. Is it enough to *totally* incorporate everything to the consistency of a retail product, probably not. If you *need* that texture (for the aesthetic effect), you can easily add a bit of one of the polysorbates to your water phase, and that will work well.

4. Both phloretin and ferulic acid are soluble in alcohol, so you would do just those in a small glass, then incorporate all phases together.

If that isn't clear enough feel free to PM me and I'll try to sort it out for you a bit more clearly...

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
mrslid
5% products discount

Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:19 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
mrslid wrote:

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
1.5 tsp THDA
2 tsp Distilled H20
1 tsp SKB
1/8th tsp Phloretin
1/8th tsp Ferulic Acid
1/2 tsp vodka

Thanks!

I'll be glad to give you my 2 cents;

1. ELS will work great, but I would not use more than 1/2 tsp. More than that will be really greasy, and not absorb quickly or easily.

2. 1% vitamin E is optimal in a C serum and I'd say that 1/2 tsp of ELS has enough other goodies to enhance the tiny bit of E that's lacking.

3. ELS has lecithin in it, so that is an emulsifier. Is it enough to *totally* incorporate everything to the consistency of a retail product, probably not. If you *need* that texture (for the aesthetic effect), you can easily add a bit of one of the polysorbates to your water phase, and that will work well.

4. Both phloretin and ferulic acid are soluble in alcohol, so you would do just those in a small glass, then incorporate all phases together.

If that isn't clear enough feel free to PM me and I'll try to sort it out for you a bit more clearly...

Thank you so much Kassy!!!

Does anyone have any idea how I would know how much emulsifier to add? Thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:51 pm      Reply with quote
You do have some leeway with lecithin. Smile

Product details

Solubility: Emulsifies oil and water.
Source: Soybean
Appearance: liquid
Suggested percentage:0.5% to 3%
Storage: Cool, dry place. Do not freeze. Keep away from light and moisture!
Country of origin: China

http://www.bulkactives.com/lecithin.htm

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
mrslid wrote:

Does anyone have any idea how I would know how much emulsifier to add? Thanks!

As DM has posted, you do have lots of leeway with lecithin. In my experience when using it, I just add it drop by drop until it's the consistency I'm after.

Personally lecithin is my least favorite emulsifier, because it's greasy, sticky and way amber in color. In a pinch though, and for a quick fix, I just squeeze out a few drops from my "Natures Way 1200mg Supplement Softgel" (glycerin, water + lecithin from soy.) So drop by drop, till you get the consistency you like.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Mon Cheri

Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:45 pm      Reply with quote
Hello I am new to this great site and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a place to buy pearl powder and silk powder?
Bdereck67

Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:10 pm      Reply with quote
hi everyone ( anyone )
this is only my 2nd post so I hope I'm not asking something that's been asked 1000 times before. I have been searching for hours to see if anyone has ever tried to recreate Decleor Iris Balm.
I am really in a Hugh DIY craze at the moment. (My kitchen looks like a lab:)
Thanks Cool

Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:50 pm      Reply with quote
For those with acne:

Mix baking soda with water, and make it as paste-like as possible. Apply to face, and leave on for 10 minutes.
It dries out the face, so I don't recommend this for people with dry skin, nor using this more than once a week.
I used to use this on my bad acne days, or used this as spot treatment for one of those deep-seeded ones.

P.S. It may also burn slightly.
leslie645

Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:02 pm      Reply with quote
Hi!
Well I just love this forum... I stumbled on it by accident today and have been reading non stop...well, that is until I took a break to run to my local vitamin store to get some L-ascorbic acid.
I decided to try to make my own Vit C serum:

1/4 teaspoon L-ascorbic acid
5 ml distilled water
5 ml Polyethylene Glycol

Mixed it in a blue glass vial (bought at Vit shop) and to measure the ML's and 1/4 teaspoon I used the droppers that come with childrens fever meds.
I used the polyethylene glycol (AKA PEG) because I had a HUGE jug of it that the Ped had prescribed for my kid...for constipation Laughing apparently it attracts water. Plus I didint have anything else ( aloe gel etc...) to mix it with...so we will see
I will drink a huge glass of water and then apply my Vit c serum with the hopes the PEG will bring that water to my skin...is that too far fetched?

I am super excited as I never have it in the budget to buy expensive cosmeceuticals....

Would love to hear what you guys think?
Cheers
leslie
leslie645

Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:48 am      Reply with quote
I think you could make an Aspirin mask using BC Headache Powder...it is 845 mg of aspirin and 65 mg caffiene...all in POWDER form Smile
so no more hard bits of asprin!
cheers
leslie
MoxieMama
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
I posted a separate thread asking for help but didn't get any answers and then saw this thread, don't know how I missed it...so I am reposting my questions to see if anyone can help. Smile

I tried DIY years ago and had horrible luck, I basically threw everything together in a jar and was quite disappointed! LOL! So, this time I want to do it right.
I have hyper-pigmentation that covers about half my face and I would like firm up my skin.

I found recipes for these...
C E Ferulic in HA
Greet Tea Extract and copper peptides in HA OR considering Green Tea Serum from NCN Professional, and adding in CP ... to use with LED
Lemon Peel Bioferment (NCN Professional) for hyperpigmentation

Other ingredients I want to incorporate but am still researching to see how best to use in a mixture or how best to layer are...

SkinTight AP (from MakingCosmetics)
Encapsulated CoQ10
Mandelic Acid
Dermagen (Skin Actives)
Natural Active Peptides (Skin Actives)
Resveratol
Niacinamide & Glucosamine (would love to find the type of Niacinamide that Nia24 uses)
Decorinyl (Lotion Crafters)
100% Pure Pearl Powder (NCN Professional)

Any ideas or formulations? I don't know how to figure out all the ph stuff or what to use to mix it together and what amounts to use that would work best so any help would be very wonderful! I am hoping to get these into one or at the most 2 different serums. I try for 100% organic so I appreciate no parabens or petroleums.
Thanks!!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:40 am      Reply with quote
I am not sure if this has been posted before but want to look up an ingredient? Great source for information! Smile

http://www.skincaredictionary.com/

Quote:
Welcome to the skin care ingredient dictionary.  We have compiled a long list of all the ingredients, treatments, terms and product names to help users filter through all the overwhelming options they have when it comes to skin care.  We hope you are able to find the answers you are looking for.

Good luck and happy searching.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:26 am      Reply with quote
Cucumber Cleansing Milk

Suitable for dry sensitive skin. I use morning and night to refresh the skin and remove makeup. It contains lactic acid to gently exfoliate without irritating and is very soothing. Suitable for use around eyes.

1/3 cucumber, washed with skin on and chopped
1 tsp natural yoghurt. Must be real yoghurt not a fruit dessert.
1/2 tsp cold pressed avocado oil

Puree until liquid. Keep in the fridge. Apply to the skin, massage and leave on if desired. Once dry gently remove with a warm face cloth. Very effective at removing makeup, does not irritate and used regularly will exfoliate the skin beautifully. I've found it's helping with my hyperpigmentation which I didn't expect at all.
NotMeNotYou
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:31 am      Reply with quote
Mon Cheri wrote:
Hello I am new to this great site and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a place to buy pearl powder and silk powder?

You can get both at TKB Trading.
NotMeNotYou
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:44 am      Reply with quote
live2act2 wrote:
Can anybody tell me some natural remedies to help my under eye puffiness go away? I am young and don't have wrinkles. However when I am tired in the mornings I usually get puffy and swollen(like bags). Thanks! Very Happy

I have the same issue. Some people are more prone to water retention around the eyes than others. If you have this tendency then here are some things to do.

First things first, check your diet for intolerances. I have no allergies at all but eating wheat products always causes me to bloat horrendously and get eye bags. Cut those foods out and you're halfway there.

Next do not put any kind of cream or oil on your eyes at night. It gets into your eyes and causes irritation and puffiness. If you must invest in a gel serum for moisturising that area. Aloe gel is easily obtainable and won't irritate. Sea Kelp Ferment is another gel that moisturises without oil.

Finally try my cucumber cleansing milk, the recipe is above. I find applying this in the morning to puffy eyes helps them find normalcy quickly.
winni333

Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:42 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Everyone! I LOVE this thread. Just thought I'd add that Mountain Rose herbs is a great place to find ORGANIC essential oils at great prices (i noticed the ylang ylang oil is a coupla dollars cheaper than Personal Formulator). Hooray for DIY! I'm gonna try the DrH cleanser asap. Very Happy
NotMeNotYou
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:38 pm      Reply with quote
Not a recipe, just a tip for making creams. If you've made a cream that turned out oiler than you hoped and leaves an oily residue on the skin rather than soaking all the way in, there's simple trick to fix it. Mix in a small amount of rice flour (obtainable from any asian grocery store). About 1 tsp per 100mls of cream should do the trick. It absorbs the excess oil but is undetectable in the cream and leaves no trace on the skin except a very silken feel.

You don't need to do anything special to it, just mix the flour straight in until you've got no lumps. Rice flour is a skin softener and a home remedy for skin whitening (I have no idea if it works for that). It will also bind a cream that's split (water separates out of the emulsion). It leaves the skin feeling very silky. Just don't add it to a face cream if you have acne as some people say it's aggravates it.

Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
Hello guys,

I've been roaming around on this thread for quite some time but I haven't yet tried any recipe from it. I do use organic products all the time but when it comes to creating my own mistures I'm a noob! I've only done a few facial care products but my skin is so dehydrated that nothing seems to do the trick..but I'll get there! Wink

So I was wondering if I could possible do some of my favourite lotions
I'm going to list the igredients and hope someone will help this newbie know if this is doable and how

A firming lotion that uses the following ingredients

CoQ10
Milk Thistle
Evening Primrose Oil
Sweet Almond Oil
Shea Butter
Avocado Oil
Olive Oil
Fenugreek Extract
Dandelion Root
Wild Yam Extract and Saw Palmeto Extract

and another one with this

Papaya Enzymes
Hyaluronic Acid
Oat Protein
Vitamin B3
Soy Protein Complex

Idea Question
jayraven
5% products discount

Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:37 am      Reply with quote
hello, can u guys suggest what combination good for combination, acne-prone skin
Actually i add honey into my aspirin mask
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:11 am      Reply with quote
More natural bulk butters and oils,

http://www.bulknaturaloils.com/

http://www.thesage.com/catalog/FixedOil.html

http://www.agbangakarite.com/recipe_exotica.php

http://www.thefragrancelab.net/soaps1.htm

http://www.essentialsbycatalina.com/shop/wholesalebases.html

Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:16 pm      Reply with quote
For acne-prone skin:

Mung Bean Mask

1. Put mung beans into a blender/coffee grinder to make a fine powder.

2. Combine 1 heaping tsp. of the mung bean powder with 2 tsp. of natural yogurt.

3. Mix together until you get a thick paste.

4. Apply on cleansed face. Leave on for 20-30 minutes.

5. Rinse off with water and follow with toner and moisturizer of your choice.
dongss_1999
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
mrslid wrote:

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
1.5 tsp THDA
2 tsp Distilled H20
1 tsp SKB
1/8th tsp Phloretin
1/8th tsp Ferulic Acid
1/2 tsp vodka

Thanks!

I think it's pretty cool, like doing experiments in lab!

Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:30 pm      Reply with quote
Hi - new to DIY and this forum. Have tried basic c serum (c and HA) and a (oat beta glucan, HA, Epidermal Growth factor serum i just made up)

I would like to make a double C or triple C version of the Kassy's C E Ferulic 15% serum where I add Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate and/or Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate.

Is this possible? And how would I do it?
thanks!
esther
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:05 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |