Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Oil Cleansing Method
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:50 pm      Reply with quote
Hi cahoot,

I guess there's no reason why you can't use OCM as a pre-cleanse - I just don't think that it's really necessary. I find that OCM removes all of my makeup thoroughly so why introduce another step to your routine which just takes up more time. As I said in a previous post though, I do like to wipe my face with a toner afterwards. Very Happy
Shoba
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:43 am      Reply with quote
how is your experiment ???

kayanl wrote:
I was over at LHC and saw a post about the Oil Cleansing Method. Then I thought about all the ESD members who have tried this with mixed results and also of DHCC (which really is just a variation of this) and seeing as it was a huge success among LHC members, I decided to try this. Here's what I've experienced so far:

Day 1: Used a 50%/50% mix of grapeseed oil and castor oil. I massaged for about 7 minutes and about 5 minutes into it I had 4 dried up sebum plugs come out from my cheek and chin area. Alas the blackheads on my nose refused to budge. After washing off the oil a sticky residue remained and the next day I had 3 white head like inflamations. Maybe I should have used less castor oil! However, there was no visible oil sheen and the next morning I discovered that the cystic acne bump on the side of my face had shrunk significantly. Miraculous!! The stupid thing had been there for over three months...

Day2: Mixed ~1/2 tbsp. grapeseed oil and 4 large drops of castor oil. Only had one sebum plug come out. After washing, skin felt a little tight, but was so very soft and glowy Very Happy. Also the inflamations from the day before had disappeared without a trace and there were no resulting breakouts this time.Very Happy

Day 3: (Just now) Used the same oil proportions as yesterday. During the massage I not only had a sebum plug come out, but a bunch of smaller black plugs! It seems that I finally got rid of the blackheads that had taken up a permanent residence on my nose. However this has left several gaping (clear) pores right at the tip of my nose. Sad Hopefully this will clear up.

I will continue to experiment and see how my skin likes this, yet based on the past couple of days I would say that I've been converted to the OCM. Is anybody else here willing to contribute to the experiment?
florli
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
I tried OCM for a few days, and it's giving me lots of bumps and my pores are actually more clogged......i had to go for several facial treatments to get my skin completely cleared
Jessica71

Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:47 pm      Reply with quote
I read this thread many weeks ago, and was very excited to try OCM..I did for 2 weeks..but now, I'm sad to report, it didn't work for me. Although it wasn't bad for my skin by any means, I didn't see any marked improvement Sad .
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:30 am      Reply with quote
Unless I have a severe adverse reaction, I would never expect to see any "marked improvement" until I'd used a product for about a month.

It takes about 28 days for a young person's skin cells to turn over ... so the marked improvement might only begin to show up after your skin has sloughed off the old, dead, skin cells.

I've been using OCM for almost 2 years. I immediately saw a marked improvement in the way it helped clear my pores ... but the real improvement to tone and texture didn't show up until I'd been using it for quite a while.

Remember ... this isn't a "miracle" ... it's a cleansing method. It's meant as an efficient way to cleanse your skin ... so that your skin is in the proper shape to take advantage of the other products [serums, actives, moisturizers etc] that you use.

That said ... it definintely isn't the only method to thoroughly cleanse your skin ... but it's a heck of a lot safer and saner for your skin than some of the others.

Just my thoughts ...

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
I totally agree with everything hpjrt has said. No skin care routine is going to perform miracles overnight. However, continued use of OCM will definitely make a difference to the skin over time.

Just another thought - I'm just wondering if those of you who are experiencing problems with OCM aren't thoroughly rinsing the oil off with water after cleansing. I use a soft wash cloth and make sure that all the oil is removed by using four or five changes of clean warm water.
skim
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:21 pm      Reply with quote
I tend to try OCM for a couple weeks, then stop for a while, then go back on. I can never tell whether it's helping or hurting me. Sometimes I actually think OCM dries me out.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
i'm having a bad breakout around my chin area now so i'm backing off OCM for a bit. not sure whether that's the reason, and I use the lavender foam after OCM to make sure every bit of oil is washed off, but since i can't figure out the cause, i will just OCM maybe twice or three times a week and alternate with epidermxII, with maybe a rest day in between. I use virgin coconut oil, not sure whether that's the reason but I've also used EVOO and the results are the same.
i do enjoy doing the OCM, on sunday I did a mini facial with OCM, steaming, epidermxII, yoghurt honey mask... but now aackk! i hope this is purging, perhaps also purging from the IPF healing serum which apparently is normal.
will have to wait and see...ahhh sweet torture!!
thestepfordwife
5% products discount

Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:46 pm      Reply with quote
After reading and re-reading this I decided to try (even though having an extreamely oily T-zone I was afraid to put oil on my face!).

I have to thank ya'll for turning me on to this cleansing method. I used this small glass dropper I have and mixed four droppers of Grapeseed oil with three droppers of Castor oil (had to get the local Pharmacist to special order it for me)....guess no-one else out here in "Stepford" Bad Grin has any use for Castor oil. He was really taken aback when I asked for it Confused . I mixed these together in a glass vial that had held Tee Tree oil which I had just finished off...didn't bother to wash it out as I love Tea Tree oil and use it for everything from keeping flees off my dog and cat to minor scrapes etc...so I figure a little Tea Tree residue won't hurt anything Laughing

I did feel something grit-ish on my face especially around my nose (which has always had enlarged pores full of gunk) as I was massaging the oil so I have to assume that the grit was some of the gunk from my nose pores Very Happy coming out at long last. I used a baby wipe to get most of the oil and the residual makeup off followed by a warm washcloth. I used my Clinique clarifying lotion after to tone...and my skin has never looked better! Which is saying something since in a few short months I will officially be closer to 50 than 40 Laughing .

Can't wait to do this again tonight!

Blessing to you all! I love this site!
designcat

Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
I'm brand new here, I love hearing about everyone's experiences with OCM. I've been using the OCM method for almost a month now.
I wanted to try it because I had been using Proactive and noticing that my skin was dry and discolored (bleached). I wanted to take a more natural approach. Also, I had been noticing my crows feet getting real bad!

At first I didn't break out too much at all and immediatly noticed how smooth and soft my skin was. Those wrinkles around my eyes were almost gone! I was amazed. My skin felt healthy again and was glowing. But after a couple weeks I began getting pimples, white heads and just red bumps. So, I've been trying various routines, I just bought Jojoba oil which I think might help.

Can anyone recomend a good moisturizer for after the OCM? I've just been dabbing a little of the oil on my face and rubbing it in real good and wiping it off.
But I'd love to find something that is good for my oily skin - also moisturizing.

and also, do most people do this a.m and p.m?
If anyone has recomendations for another cleanser to use when I'm not doing the OCM that would be great.
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:48 pm      Reply with quote
designcat wrote:
Can anyone recomend a good moisturizer for after the OCM? I've just been dabbing a little of the oil on my face and rubbing it in real good and wiping it off.
But I'd love to find something that is good for my oily skin - also moisturizing.

If you are already using jojoba oil with no reaction, why not just pat a couple drops of that on your face? No need to wipe off. I use jojoba oil every morning as a moisturizer under pearl paste. Keeps my oily skin under control.
Maria_312
5% products discount

Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:07 pm      Reply with quote
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Hi everyone, I have a question reagarding my first time OCM method.

I used castor oil in combination with EVOO (I'm afraid my castor oil is from the drug store - and I don't think it's cold-pressed Embarassed ) and it took quite some time to remove it!

I used a wet cloth to pat my face repeatedly until it seemed most of the oil was removed from my face.

Is it normal for the face to feel really smooth and borderline slick afterwards? Or does that mean that there was oil left over and I should have kept going w/the wet cloth?

Also, I followed this regime with tamanu oil all over my face (my skin is pretty badly blemished all over due to Accutane)...does this sound ok, or is there any suggestion to better my regime?

I read jojoba is great too, but I'm not sure if I should wait a while for my face to get used to this combination first.

Any and all advice is truly appreciated!
Thanks girls!
chyi
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
also wanna know if grapeseed oil can be used instead of a combination of oils
trigger
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:34 am      Reply with quote
Hi Maria, sorry your question hasn't been answered... this is an old thread!

You should make sure your cloth is as hot as you can stand, and keep rinsing, wetting, wiping, until you can tell there is no more oil on the skin. I should feel smooth, and DRY, no oily residue left!!

HTH

Chyi, grapeseed is fine, so long as you use it in combination with Castor Oil, which is essential for drawing out impurities!

Good luck everyone.

BTW, I've started using OCM, with my vaculifter, for about fifteen minutes. I love it!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:40 am      Reply with quote
For those of you using OCM with skin breakouts - try using an Aspirin Toner after cleansing. Aspirin is Salicylic Acid which will help with problem skin plus the toner removes every trace of oil from the skin.

Add 4 Aspirin to 100ml distilled water, heat in microwave on medium for a minute or two to dissolve the Aspirin. Then add 100ml Apple Cider Vinegar.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:53 am      Reply with quote
can you do without the vinegar? Just the smell of apple cider vinegar makes me noxious
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:02 am      Reply with quote
zverenok wrote:
can you do without the vinegar? Just the smell of apple cider vinegar makes me noxious

Well, I think it's the vinegar that really helps to remove any oil residue - but I agree about the smell, I don't like it either, but you do get used to it! Apparently you can buy an ACV that has no smell, but I've never managed to find it.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:28 pm      Reply with quote
I just tried OCM: castor oil and jojoba oil, it is fantastic!!!! my skin is like baby's butt lol
LLucy
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:59 am      Reply with quote
I just wanted to note that Castor oil, despite being an oil can be very drying. It takes some experimenting to determine the best proportion of castor/ to other oil that works for your particular skin.

You can use OCM with any oil, leaving out the castor oil if you wish. The key to this method is to THOROUGHLY wash the oil off with warm water. That means going over your face again and again with a washcloth rinsed out every time. As a poster above said, about 4-5 times. When people say OCM left their face a greasy mess I know they didn't do this.

Like anything else, it doesn't have the same appeal to everyone. Done properly, for some it can leave your face feeling super clean, baby-butt smooth afterward and the next morning as well. Not to mention it's safe and CHEAP!
zverenok
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:11 am      Reply with quote
If you follow this with a tidbit of avocado/hemp oil to moisturize.... for those who feel dried out.
InkyProse
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
LLucy wrote:
I just wanted to note that Castor oil, despite being an oil can be very drying. It takes some experimenting to determine the best proportion of castor/ to other oil that works for your particular skin.

You can use OCM with any oil, leaving out the castor oil if you wish. The key to this method is to THOROUGHLY wash the oil off with warm water. That means going over your face again and again with a washcloth rinsed out every time. As a poster above said, about 4-5 times. When people say OCM left their face a greasy mess I know they didn't do this.

Like anything else, it doesn't have the same appeal to everyone. Done properly, for some it can leave your face feeling super clean, baby-butt smooth afterward and the next morning as well. Not to mention it's safe and CHEAP!

Are you sure you can achieve the same results without the castor oil? I'm pretty sure that it is this ingredient that causes pores to expel their contents and cleanses the skin.

49*~~dark auburn, light, blue/green*~~ Red/Infrared/Amber LED*~~ Dermarolling*~~ Retin A*~~ Cupping*~~Homeopathic HGH*~~Ionic Footbaths*~~About to put my Incline Table Together**** See what all you people are driving me to???****Don't get me started on the supplements, you'll regret it**** Love Wins...
LLucy
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:30 pm      Reply with quote
InkyProse wrote:
LLucy wrote:

Are you sure you can achieve the same results without the castor oil? I'm pretty sure that it is this ingredient that causes pores to expel their contents and cleanses the skin.

You can if you find castor oil too drying. Perhaps you don't need anything expelled from your pores per se -- oil will still remove makeup, and whatever has built up on your face over the course of the day. I like the "clean" feeling from using a castor oil mix, but since I've started using Tretinoin, sometimes I just use soybean oil alone as a cleanser. It softenes and smoothes without the drying effect. I also have ..ahem..mature skin, no acne, so I don't have blackheads or whiteheads to be purged. Some people don't like castor oil, preferring a single oil or oil mix of their favorites. The beauty of this method is you can try different kinds of oils and find what works best for you.
fuzzybluelogic

Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:16 am      Reply with quote
I've tried OCM on and off for a few years, never really sticking with it. Last time I tried it, I loved the feeling of massaging my face and feeling the plugs come out that I did it for too long one night and woke up with a swollen face. I want to try it again in combo with bubzbeauty's ACV, raw honey, sugar (I use brown) and green tea mask, and her recipe for green tea and ACV toner. She's on YouTube. I'm going to try and make my own "Egyptian Magic" cream using raw honey, beeswax, jojoba oil (instead of olive), and maybe some EO's if I can make the recipe work.

You can buy hydralauric acid online, maybe see what I can do with that. Has anyone played around with hydralauric acid?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:32 am      Reply with quote
fuzzybluelogic wrote:
You can buy hydralauric acid online, maybe see what I can do with that. Has anyone played around with hydralauric acid?

I think you mean hyaluronic acid. You can buy ready made serums or buy the powder and mix it up yourself. It can then be combined with other serum ingredients or with a little oil of your choice to use as a moisturiser.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:43 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
fuzzybluelogic wrote:

I think you mean hyaluronic acid. You can buy ready made serums or buy the powder and mix it up yourself. It can then be combined with other serum ingredients or with a little oil of your choice to use as a moisturiser.

Hyaluronic acid is soluble in water. I would presume it doesn't disslove in oil. Has anyone tried that?
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:19 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |