Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Oil Cleansing Method
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Laura222
5% products discount

Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, m'am!!
:D

Castor oil research here:
http://www.truthinaging.com/face/is-castor-oil-cleansing-a-washout/

Pls comment if you're so inclined!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
I just read the article on Castor Oil posted by Marta on Truth in Aging and have to say that I was a little annoyed that she labels the whole process of cleansing the skin with oil as "wacky". There are many cosmetic companies that manufacture cleansing oils as it is a known fact that oil cleanses oil. By making your own version you can just simply save yourself some cash.

In addition, I am unaware of anyone that advises the use of Castor Oil on its own - it is always mixed with another oil of choice. It is also not necessary to "spend an inordinate amount of time massaging into your face". I use OCM as I would any other cleanser.

I also find this comment: "Unless you have a Howard Hughes-like aversion to germs, rubbing your face with castor oil just seems like overkill" very uninformed. Her comments about the hazards of harvesting the oil sound completely dire - however, I can't comment on this as it's not something I'm knowledgeable about. However, Castor Oil has been around for eons and has been used extensively by our grandmothers and their grandmothers. I thought that it was unhelpful to insinuate that there was something dangerous about it.

I love the Truth in Aging website and refer to it quite often - so I'm very disappointed in this review. The OCM is simply a method of cleansing the skin - one that makes sense. It's neither wacky nor excessive.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:33 pm      Reply with quote
I recall other contradictory things on the truth-in-aging site.

I want to try OCM - not sure what the right mix of oils to use but need to order some cold-pressed castor oil - possibly avocado oil.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
I recall other contradictory things on the truth-in-aging site.

I want to try OCM - not sure what the right mix of oils to use but need to order some cold-pressed castor oil - possibly avocado oil.

Castor Oil is available at any pharmacy (at least it is here in Oz). I don't think it's necessary to use expensive oils for OCM, Olive or Sunflower are just fine. Have you looked at this site, it has all the info you'll ever need:

http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:59 pm      Reply with quote
I also want to add that Castor Oil is an ingredient commonly found in many many cosmetic and skincare products. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
There are ionizing properties to castor oil, which is why it is detoxifying. It also increases circulation and helps lymph movement. There are a myriad of benefits to using castor oil

Marta didn't do much research. I found her article very disappointing.

49*~~dark auburn, light, blue/green*~~ Red/Infrared/Amber LED*~~ Dermarolling*~~ Retin A*~~ Cupping*~~Homeopathic HGH*~~Ionic Footbaths*~~About to put my Incline Table Together**** See what all you people are driving me to???****Don't get me started on the supplements, you'll regret it**** Love Wins...
Laura222
5% products discount

Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:00 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the feedback, I'll share it all with Marta today. You all, having researched and used OCM, undoubtedly know of what you speak.

I think the ultimate points that Marta was trying to make with the castor oil post are that castor oil is pretty powerful, so since you're using it with other substances for OCM you should exercise caution with what you're using it with and what you follow it up with and that while it is a natural, useful substance, there are dangers involved for the people harvesting and creating it. Ricin in castor seeds was just mentioned in an article on CBS on 8/2. You can see it here:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/08/02/sunday/main5204871.shtml

I think I'll experiment with the OCM myself using some of the recipes from EDS and write an article for Truth In Aging. I'll pop back in here to let you all know what I think of it. What do you say?

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:17 am      Reply with quote
I want to chime in about castor oil: I've been using the cheap brand found in any supermarket with fine results for over a year. It is not necessary to order cold pressed castor oil from a health food store, or online aromatherapy company. As Keliu noted, castor oil has been used for a few hundred years - it is not some new designer product.

Again agreeing with her, you don't need a semi-exotic oil to use as a carrier. Olive oil, canola, even plain vegetable oil, which is made from soy beans works just fine for OCM. If you have favorite oils, go ahead and use them, just know that it isn't necessary - you can save them for moisturizing instead. Same goes for pricey essential oils. If you like the smell they contribute, feel free, but they don't add anything to this as a treatment. Remember: the most important thing about this process is TO WASH THE OIL OFF THOROUGHLY. I save my better oils to leave on, not wash off, but hey, I'm frugal. Wink

Before I knew better, I tried castor oil straight. BIG mistake. It left me with dry, flaky, unattractive skin for 3 days. I found 35-40% castor to 60 -65% carrier works best for me. Experiment until you find what works best for you.

You don't have to massage for any length of time at all. I do sometimes because I enjoy it. Other times, I just rub it in and wash it off. This is a SIMPLE cleansing method,it won't work any better if you try to make it complicated. Very Happy
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
LLucy wrote:
This is a SIMPLE cleansing method,it won't work any better if you try to make it complicated. Very Happy

Couldn't agree more!!

Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:05 am      Reply with quote
Hi there, I have been reading about OCM for a few weeks now and I'm desperate to give it a try! I couldn't find castor oil anywhere but finally found some at the weekend so I'm ready to give it a try.
In the chemist I found Almond oil so I bought this thinking it might be nice to blend with the castor oil, has anyone tried almond oil?

Also, I've got some Essential Oils but some are expired and some don't have dates on. I didn't realise that EO's expired Shock will the ones with no dates on be ok or should I buy new ones?
Thanks!
InkyProse
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:29 am      Reply with quote
luce_181 wrote:
Hi there, I have been reading about OCM for a few weeks now and I'm desperate to give it a try! I couldn't find castor oil anywhere but finally found some at the weekend so I'm ready to give it a try.
In the chemist I found Almond oil so I bought this thinking it might be nice to blend with the castor oil, has anyone tried almond oil?

Also, I've got some Essential Oils but some are expired and some don't have dates on. I didn't realise that EO's expired Shock will the ones with no dates on be ok or should I buy new ones?
Thanks!

I don't believe good EO's are suppose to expire. I keep mine in the fridge.

49*~~dark auburn, light, blue/green*~~ Red/Infrared/Amber LED*~~ Dermarolling*~~ Retin A*~~ Cupping*~~Homeopathic HGH*~~Ionic Footbaths*~~About to put my Incline Table Together**** See what all you people are driving me to???****Don't get me started on the supplements, you'll regret it**** Love Wins...
funkydory
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:56 pm      Reply with quote
InkyProse wrote:
OK, I just HAVE to share this. This method is eliminating some of my fine lines!!!! Some of you have seen my pic with no make up on and you know I have a lot of freckles (the Irish root). Those freckles have camoflaged some of my occluded pores which have turned into short, fine lies. I have been getting the gunk out of those pores with a QTip and the castor oil mix and the lines have been healing up, completely flat! It's time consuming, but with a magnifying mirror I do this in front of the TV. I must be getting decades of dirt out of those pores!

I had been noticing these lines within the past 4 mos or so. I didn't know the cause was occluded pores!

Inky, I'm curious, how do you get the gunk out?
InkyProse
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:57 am      Reply with quote
funkydory wrote:
InkyProse wrote:
OK, I just HAVE to share this. This method is eliminating some of my fine lines!!!! Some of you have seen my pic with no make up on and you know I have a lot of freckles (the Irish root). Those freckles have camoflaged some of my occluded pores which have turned into short, fine lies. I have been getting the gunk out of those pores with a QTip and the castor oil mix and the lines have been healing up, completely flat! It's time consuming, but with a magnifying mirror I do this in front of the TV. I must be getting decades of dirt out of those pores!

I had been noticing these lines within the past 4 mos or so. I didn't know the cause was occluded pores!

Inky, I'm curious, how do you get the gunk out?

THe castor oil causes the pores to excrete the gunk, sometimes with massage and sometimes just putting the stuff on your skin will cause it.

katysu

Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:04 am      Reply with quote
I've a long history with my skin (including hospitals). I don't use much on it, no perfume, no makeup: I'm allergic to a lot of stuff.

I can use unadulterated carrier oils, (at least the ones I've tried have been fine) so I searched online for organic cold pressed olive & castor oil.
Easy to get, not that expensive, plus you don't use that much.
I felt its best to use as good as I could get.

I've only done OCM twice -its given me that dewy clean look, no gunge, but I'm sure its in there. I massage for 5 mins.
Castor oil approx 20%, going to try increasing slightly to see if I can locate the gunge.
I find putting my face over a bowl of hot water is easier for me than a flannel.
I mix the oils per session, and the spare I've used on my feet, same method (I can use a flannel here) - amazing results for my sadly neglected feet.
I make sure I wash oil off well, no need to use a toner, warm/hot water + kitchen towel/muslin cloth works.
Afterwards my face has felt a little tight and I've used rosehip carrier oil - OK, well no adverse reactions. Avocado oil on my feet.
Will continue.
gunjee
5% products discount

Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
I thought I would post this here because it's kind of working like OCM works for you guys. I made a batch of Carekate's version of Decleor Ylang Ylang Aromessence Oil and I use it both morning and night. When I wake up in the morning, I take a fresh baby washcloth and rinse it with the hottest tap water I get and just drape it over my face till it cools off and then rinse it off with the hot water again and drape again, and then the third time I rinse it and drape it, I start scrubbing my face while it cools. Then I pat my face dry and apply 3 drops of the mixture, massaging it in, and gunk comes out as I rub my face all over! After I shower in the evenings, I massage in 3 drops again, and more stuff comes out. This stuff has brightened my face and gotten rid of all the blackheads such that I don't even wear makeup anymore! And not wearing makeup keeps the blackheads and bad things from coming back so vehemently, so it's a win-win situation. Sure I don't have any castor oil in the mix, but the essential oils and the jojoba oil are definitely doing stuff to improve my face. Even my husband has noticed, and I don't have to use any other cleanser or moisturizer, just the hot wet baby washcloths and then 3 drops of the oil mixture.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
LLucy wrote:
Before I knew better, I tried castor oil straight. BIG mistake. It left me with dry, flaky, unattractive skin for 3 days. I found 35-40% castor to 60 -65% carrier works best for me. Experiment until you find what works best for you.

Oh, Lord, I did almost the same thing, I did use a 2nd oil, but I dumped a huge load of the castor oil into it (so probably a 90/10 ratio with the 90 being the castor oil). It affected my skin the same way and took at least 1 week for my skin to return to normal. I thought if a little is good, a lot must be better! Not so with the castor oil! Laughing Glad to read I am not the only one who had an oops moment!
Songbird
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry if this has already been answered. But for those of you using Castor Oil + another oil such as Avocado, Olive, etc. do any of you add essential oils to this? If so, how much? Should the essential oils be used each time I use OCM or only occasionally. Also, what type of container do you keep your mixed oils in? I'm really new to this, but very eager to try it. I read gunjee's post, but still didn't quite get it about the EO's. Thanks for any help. Smile
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:15 am      Reply with quote
Songbird wrote:
Sorry if this has already been answered. But for those of you using Castor Oil + another oil such as Avocado, Olive, etc. do any of you add essential oils to this? If so, how much? Should the essential oils be used each time I use OCM or only occasionally. Also, what type of container do you keep your mixed oils in? I'm really new to this, but very eager to try it. I read gunjee's post, but still didn't quite get it about the EO's. Thanks for any help. Smile

It's not necessary to use essential oils, just the Castor Oil and a carrier oil - a few drops of an essential oils of your choice won't hurt though.

I keep my mix in one of those ceramic pump containers meant for liquid soap.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:07 am      Reply with quote
Can someone please help me - I've never had this problem before.

I guess first time or second time of using OCM, I haven't completely cleaned the oil off, and ended up with a pronounced milia spot under left eye.

How can I get rid of it - it's driving me nuts.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:33 am      Reply with quote
I don't see why you would want to add an essential oil - maybe for the aromatherapy component but it doesn't seem like a necessary thing. I've heard of some adding chamomile or rosemary EOs...

I've been using jojoba oil on my oily skin a few nights/week. Waiting for the castor oil to arrive and avocado and hemp so I can mix a few things together and try.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:10 am      Reply with quote
Hello all,
I have a weekend treat I like to do. Here goes,
I slather 1 of my DIY cleansing oils on nice clean skin, also colditioning/cleansing hair/scalp oil on head, put on disposable plastic cap. I massage all oils for a small amount of time, then run a nice hot bath with homemade bath salts I soak and steam (and relax the week away). After bath cools and I am out I sit in a robe and massage the crud out of skin, the hot bath opens the pores and yes you sweat. I find I really get a great cleaning above and beyond my every day OCM massage. It is my little at home spa treatment. After all is finished scalp massage included I jump in the shower and rinse all off with lukewarm water. Everything feels so clean, moisturizer and glowing. Just my little treat to me. I do use EO,s because some are good for the skin, and I am a fragrence freak LOL.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:52 am      Reply with quote
Hi DarkMoon! I do this too (minus the hair treatment, as I only shampoo my waist length blonde hair otherwise it ends up flat). I think OCM in the bath is the best! I give myself a long luxurious massage while I'm in there, and wash it off at the end of my bath. Just wondered if you were using Dead Sea Salts in your bath water as I do, with some EO's. Apparently it's best not to rinse them off! I just towell dry, minus the shower step to keep the salts on my skin, and love it. Really helps with my sore bod from yoga. I guess with the hair treatment showering off is necessary. I wonder if you could just rinse your hair? Mind you, if you're in the bath long enough say 20+ mins, and it sounds like you are, it's probably plenty to get full value of those rather expensive salts. Sometimes I mix them with the cheaper epsom salts from the pharmacy - I have HUGE bags of those at home, too! Love the baths!! Especially with OCM.

My skin is by far the clearest it's ever been since I was a child. My purges were slightly disheartening, but it's phenomenal looking at my skin now. I've got the clear pale skin I started with, before adolescence and sunbathing turned it murky and zitty! I just had my first breakout free period!!! I thought like my mother I'd have to put up with that monthly woe forever! Retin A and OCM have changed everything.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:37 am      Reply with quote
Hi Tigger,
I use the dead sea salts, purchased bulk online awhile ago from one of my all natural sources, I love it, I do add EO's which depends on mood I am partial to fragrance of citrus and mint.
At 55 my hair is colored so the conditioning for me is a must, even at my age hair and nails grow ridiculously fast. I have to color after just 3 weeks, makes me look back and shake head at myself for coloring for fun in my youth! My hair was down to my thighs untill I was 26 and had first of 4 kids, little hands tangleing up in it and pulling convinced me it was time to part with it.
I never really suffered with more than 1-2 pimples monthly even as a teen. I started the OCM for the natural benifit of the oil and liked that massage would enhance circulation, always a great thing! I was suprized to find how much crud hid in my non-breakout skin.
I am suprized at how many people do not realize any type of facial ( oil or not ) will make you break out at first, it is a change and the increased blood flow brings toxins out no matter your skin type hence initial break out.
JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION
DarkMoon

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:02 am      Reply with quote
Great for OCM BLEND FOR DRY SKIN ONLY

1 oz. jojoba oil (or your fave carrier oil)
2 drops myrrh oil
2 drops sandelwood oil
1 drop benzoin rezin
1 drop fennel oil
1 drop frankincense oil

mix in clean container, massage into skin gently wipe off with very warm cloth.....basic OCM method just be gentle, follow with the dry skin oil, I like to use them over still damp skin and rub into the skin well.

Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
After reading through this thread last weekend, I decided to give the OCM a try. Previously, I was using Castor Oil but my face was not clearing. After reading the post, I realized that I was missing the carrier oil part of the cleanser.

I haven't had clear skin in years...and just when my skin would start to look like it was clearing...I would become plagued by more zits. I have been searching for something to help clear my face so, I decided to give it a try since my face couldn't really look any worse than it had (if this didn't work).

I am so happy to report that this has saved my face. I could not believe how well it purged the congestion from my pores with only one treatment. After 3 days...I started getting compliments from a few co-workers about how great my skin was looking. They wanted to know what I had done.

Today is my 7th day of treatment and still have a few breakouts...since my face is still purging the gunk out...but the texture of my skin looks amazing and my pores have never been clearer or smaller.

I am using 50% Castor oil + 50% olive oil.

Thank all you wonderful ladies for posting information and your results...good and not so good.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:59 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |