Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Oil Cleansing Method
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
MafiaPrincess
5% products discount

Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:46 am      Reply with quote
This thread has been so helpful. I found out about OCM back in about June. I used castor and sunflower oil, or castor and EVOO. I didn't realize I needed to massage for 7 or so minutes. I thought my skin looked a little better, but my blackheads weren't leaving. I've had an enormous number of them for more than a decade. I was starting to get what I think is cystic acne along my jawline in the last month.

I was getting frustrated and found this thread a few weeks ago. I bought some grapeseed oil and have been using that and castor for a few weeks now. I also have upped the time I massage my face from a minute to 7 to 10 minutes. For the first time ever I was seeing flecks of 'stuff' I was originally attributing to my washcloth as it's black. I now think it's blackheads and other junk coming out of my pores.

Only now is the cystic bumps on my jaw which also look like a beard (lol)are disappearing. I've been thinking about stopping for a while, but am happy now I've been toughing it out. My face isn't clear yet, but it is definitely better.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:56 am      Reply with quote
MafiaPrincess,

That's great to hear, I think you made a great point not only do you need to research how to do OCM but also trial and error on what oils work for you. Smile I believe that's what cause many to just give up. The evil purge!

HELLO AND WELCOME!!! Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
cm5597 wrote:
SoCalGal wrote:
cm5597 wrote:
Hi Beann1210,

I'm still a total newbie when it comes to OCM, and I only use OCM about 1x per week on average. But what I do is to heat the oil itself (rather than a washcloth), and apply that heated oil to my face and massage it in. Then I hop into the shower and wash it off. I don't know how effective that is, but I still seem to get a lot out that way.

HTH Smile

Hi CM5597, can I ask you what you mean by 'get a lot out'? I hope that doesn't sound odd, but my experience with the OCM, doing it every 4 or 5 days, has been a little traumatizing: I get so much stuff out, large plugs, hard pieces, etc. It has really freaked me out. For the first 6 or 7 times I did it, I massaged for 2hrs because stuff was just pouring out and I didn't know how/when to stop.
Does that sound like your experience? The most recent 2 times haven't been nearly as bad, but still I get a lot of specks out. I had a bad purge from the earlier sessions too; ==. I think it was all the stuff that came to the surface, but not 'out'.
Thanks!

I'm so sorry, SoCalGirl, I totally didn't see your post until now. When I do it, I normally massage for about 20 minutes, and probably get several dozen tiny plugs out, mostly hardened white heads. Even then, I still feel that many/most of my pores are not dumping out their contents. For reference, I have normal skin with probably smaller than average pores for my age. I still feel like a newbie with this, so I'm probably not the best person to give you their perspective, but I hope this helps Smile

Hi CM55597, no worries about not answering earlier. I appreciate your feedback. I get about 3x that much even at this point, and I definitely feel like I'm not getting everything, or even keeping up with new clogs. I've been doing some mud masks after and it has helped to bring stuff to the surface - some as a whitehead and some just a plug falling out. My skin is definitely better though.
But I have to admit I also thought my skin was normal, but now I wonder if it's oily since I get these plugs. I see my derm next week again, so I will get some answers I hope.
SoCalGal
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:34 pm      Reply with quote
MafiaPrincess wrote:
This thread has been so helpful. I found out about OCM back in about June. I used castor and sunflower oil, or castor and EVOO. I didn't realize I needed to massage for 7 or so minutes. I thought my skin looked a little better, but my blackheads weren't leaving. I've had an enormous number of them for more than a decade. I was starting to get what I think is cystic acne along my jawline in the last month.

I was getting frustrated and found this thread a few weeks ago. I bought some grapeseed oil and have been using that and castor for a few weeks now. I also have upped the time I massage my face from a minute to 7 to 10 minutes. For the first time ever I was seeing flecks of 'stuff' I was originally attributing to my washcloth as it's black. I now think it's blackheads and other junk coming out of my pores.

Only now is the cystic bumps on my jaw which also look like a beard (lol)are disappearing. I've been thinking about stopping for a while, but am happy now I've been toughing it out. My face isn't clear yet, but it is definitely better.

Hi MafiaPrincess, I had the beard for a while too - I even called it that (somewhere on this thread)!!! And very cystic looking too. I used the REN Clear Calm system (cleanser, mask and daycream) to help clear my skin up. The cleanser and mask are excellent. I stuck with the OCM though. I think we just have to grit our teeth and get through it. My derm was not against my doing the OCM. He just said not to do it for too long (like 2hrs!!!!). Best of luck getting rid of the beard - it WILL go away!
jenyanben

Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:26 am      Reply with quote
I have read you posts and I thought I would try the ocm. I would apply my grape seed oil and co concoction, turn on my face steamer for 10 minutes. Wow the amount of plugs that just came out, even with out massage. To think I have been using strips, abrasives, chemicals. This is all it took. I strongly suggest to anyone reading this to try it out. I can't wait for my mother to notice, I haven't said any thing to her yet, I have been dying to tell her. When she does notice I am going to give her a facial immediately. Thanks

My skin before OCM was dry and back head city, large pores, with the occasional pimple. Every thing I tried for the back heads, dried my skin out worst, making the problem worst.
MafiaPrincess
5% products discount

Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
SoCalGal wrote:

Hi MafiaPrincess, I had the beard for a while too - I even called it that (somewhere on this thread)!!! And very cystic looking too. I used the REN Clear Calm system (cleanser, mask and daycream) to help clear my skin up. The cleanser and mask are excellent. I stuck with the OCM though. I think we just have to grit our teeth and get through it. My derm was not against my doing the OCM. He just said not to do it for too long (like 2hrs!!!!). Best of luck getting rid of the beard - it WILL go away!

I saw and appreciated the beard post, lol. It helped me feel better. I thought I was alone or doing it wrong. I can't go more than 10 minutes. My fingers tire and I get bored..

The red is going down some and it seems a little less bumpy. guess less cystic looking, but a crapload of tiny little bumps now. Clearer forehead and nose the blackheads are diminishing with the switch to grapeseed and more massage.

Thanks for the kind words ladies, support helps.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
MafiaPrincess,

It is all about finding what works best for your skin, amount of massage time and oil(s). I have never had breakouts (yeah you can hate me!), but went through this with one of my 4 kids and he toughed out the initial worsening breakouts to finally find clear skin! It's a journey and we are here to see you through it! Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:08 am      Reply with quote
I just wanted to tell my fellow beauties, esp. those suffering with a purge, that I went for a facial on Wed. and I told the esthetician about the OCM and she was just sort of listening politely until we got to the extraction part. She couldn't believe that I had NO blackheads - even on my nose, and she said that the closed comedones I did have were coming out so easily that it was amazing. She just raved and raved. Needless to say, before I left I had to give her info on links for info on the OCM, and tell her where I buy my oil. LOL!!!
She is thinking of using the OCM on her teenage, 'really congested' clients as she put it. She also thought that this is probably a old method having a rebirth, because she is big believer in natural skincare.

It was a good facial too!
Keep your chin up, ladies, you will see results!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
Not sure if I brought this up here before or not, but every time I do a long session with the OCM (meaning 10 minutes), I swear my age spots look lighter. This does not happen when I do a short cleansing with the oil, only when I go for 10 minutes. So, does anyone else have this happen and why would the pigmentation look lighter after a long massage, just due to improved circulation or something else? I only do this once a week, but I am always fascinated when I am done how light my age spots look.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
Riley,

You know it's odd at 56 my pigmentation issues are on my arms, hardly any on my face? I have done OCM for many years for facial cleansing, and I was bad about sunning in my teens and early twenties! Maybe I should try to work on one arm and see if there is a difference? Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Riley,

You know it's odd at 56 my pigmentation issues are on my arms, hardly any on my face? I have done OCM for many years for facial cleansing, and I was bad about sunning in my teens and early twenties! Maybe I should try to work on one arm and see if there is a difference? Smile

Very interesting. That would be a great trial! Let us know if you do that and how it works!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
DarkMoon wrote:
Riley,

Very interesting. That would be a great trial! Let us know if you do that and how it works!

I am curious and my arms would show if there is any real difference! I think I should give it a shot. Smile I will post what happens after a while of rubbing away on one arm! LOL Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
The first thing I noticed after I started using Argan oil (before I tried OCM) was that the large sun spot on my right cheek was 'breaking up'. I wrote a few reviews on another forum because I'd been working on that spot for 3 years and in 3 weeks with the AO, I had better results.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
SoCalGal wrote:
The first thing I noticed after I started using Argan oil (before I tried OCM) was that the large sun spot on my right cheek was 'breaking up'. I wrote a few reviews on another forum because I'd been working on that spot for 3 years and in 3 weeks with the AO, I had better results.

Interesting, SoCalGal. I am not sure what the oils are in the Androcco cleansing oil I am using. I'll have to check it out and see if I can find what the combo of oils is!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:40 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:

I am curious and my arms would show if there is any real difference! I think I should give it a shot. Smile I will post what happens after a while of rubbing away on one arm! LOL Laughing

That's great! I can't wait to see if you get any results or not.
ChicitaGatita
5% products discount

Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:08 am      Reply with quote
Hi Girls!

Well I've been using the OCM method now for about 4 days. I don't seem to be getting much gunk out and I've been massaging for 20-30 minutes and steaming. But I'm encouraged to read everyone's positive comments here. Keliu put me on to OCM and because I trust her I gave it a go.

I thought because I have a lot of congestion I wouldn't have a problem with castor oil but I'm really going to have to back off on it as my skin isn't oily, just congested and after using castor oil I'm quite dry and irritated now.

I've just put Infadolon on my face because I feel I need the Vit A, D & E in it.

I'm going to use just Jojoba oil from now on as I know that is both moisturising and good fro acne.

I'm a bit concerned as I get married in 4 weeks and don't want to be purging then! Any thoughts?
SoCalGal
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
ChicitaGatita wrote:
Hi Girls!

Well I've been using the OCM method now for about 4 days. I don't seem to be getting much gunk out and I've been massaging for 20-30 minutes and steaming. But I'm encouraged to read everyone's positive comments here. Keliu put me on to OCM and because I trust her I gave it a go.

I thought because I have a lot of congestion I wouldn't have a problem with castor oil but I'm really going to have to back off on it as my skin isn't oily, just congested and after using castor oil I'm quite dry and irritated now.

I've just put Infadolon on my face because I feel I need the Vit A, D & E in it.

I'm going to use just Jojoba oil from now on as I know that is both moisturising and good fro acne.

I'm a bit concerned as I get married in 4 weeks and don't want to be purging then! Any thoughts?

Hi Chicita, congratulations!!!! I don't know what to say about a purge for you - I had a beaut of a purge but then I got TONS of stuff out. If that's the correlation, you may be ok, but I don't know if I would risk it!!!!
I'm going to defer to the more expert ladies here.
Good luck!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
Hello ChicitaGatita Smile

Honestly I wouldn't risk the possibility of purging right before your wedding, there is no telling when or how long a purge might be.

On the irritation you may in your zeal to get all the lovely gunk out be massaging too long, when you do try a 10 minute massage instead. Smile

BEST WISHES ON YOUR WEDDING! Smile

5% products discount

Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
Update..

Oh dear lord gunk is now coming out. I've been massaging 7-10 minutes at a time since I found this forum some weeks ago. Last few days I can feel way more granular pieces on my hands and see more that I had thought was washcloth fluff. One side of my face is less red and has cleared up some. The other side is horrifyingly red and icky. I now have half a beard.. Things look better for a day and then they explode again.

My nose looks the clearest it ever has though. Has more work to go.. but it's nice to see some positive changes.

Thanks for the continued encouragement. It helps.
MafiaPrincess
5% products discount

Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
Wow. Last night I was massaging like usual and for the first time a few entire plugs came out. Fascinating yet disgusting.

Used oil all summer without enough massage.. but I've been massaging 7-10 minutes a night for about 3 weeks now and this is the first time I've seen entire plugs pop out. So for anyone not seeing much gunk give it time..
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:36 pm      Reply with quote
MafiaPrincess wrote:
Wow. Last night I was massaging like usual and for the first time a few entire plugs came out. Fascinating yet disgusting.

Used oil all summer without enough massage.. but I've been massaging 7-10 minutes a night for about 3 weeks now and this is the first time I've seen entire plugs pop out. So for anyone not seeing much gunk give it time..

Congratulations MafiaPrincess! Smile that's what you want to see/feel all that junk coming out of your pores! You are on the path to clear skin! Smile
Keep us posted please. Smile

Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
I just found out about OCM and, after reading this thread, saying that I'm amazed would be an understatement!
I'm both tempted and scared to try it, though. My skin has never been super oily, but I've always (i.e. since my early teenage years) had black heads on my nose, cheeks and chin (and sometimes forehead, ha). I get the occasional pimple, but not too often. I'm so afraid I'm going to get a huge breakout if I start doing this! I don't know, the thought of rubbing oil to my face makes me cringe a little.

I don't know how easy it will be to find Castor oil in Brazil, but I think I'll give it a try.

I don't know if you guys can help me with this, but I've been using the Clarisonic Mia for a week now, would it be ok to continue using it daily? (after I've removed the oil and everything).

Thanks!
ChicitaGatita
5% products discount

Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for all of your responses girls Smile

I know it's risky to do anything new before my wedding, but with my skin it's also risky not doing anything! LOL.

I've just done TCA cross on some scars followed by a TCA peel so I'm not doing the oil cleansing method till my skin heals from this. I'll keep you posted on how I'm going.

x
CG
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:54 pm      Reply with quote
belica,

Hello and welcome!
First can you tell us a bit more about what your skin care regime is and if you have sensitive skin or not?

Since you are just using the Clarisonic for a week, some have found it caused drying with daily use (even those with normal skin) others have no issues!

The fear of oil is pretty standard until you get used to it, please remember that all creams (even supposedly oil free) are an emulsion of oil, water and wax plus any actives added.

Hope to hear more soon!

belica18 wrote:
I just found out about OCM and, after reading this thread, saying that I'm amazed would be an understatement!
I'm both tempted and scared to try it, though. My skin has never been super oily, but I've always (i.e. since my early teenage years) had black heads on my nose, cheeks and chin (and sometimes forehead, ha). I get the occasional pimple, but not too often. I'm so afraid I'm going to get a huge breakout if I start doing this! I don't know, the thought of rubbing oil to my face makes me cringe a little.

I don't know how easy it will be to find Castor oil in Brazil, but I think I'll give it a try.

I don't know if you guys can help me with this, but I've been using the Clarisonic Mia for a week now, would it be ok to continue using it daily? (after I've removed the oil and everything).

Thanks!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:01 pm      Reply with quote
ChicitaGatita wrote:
Thank you for all of your responses girls Smile

I know it's risky to do anything new before my wedding, but with my skin it's also risky not doing anything! LOL.

I've just done TCA cross on some scars followed by a TCA peel so I'm not doing the oil cleansing method till my skin heals from this. I'll keep you posted on how I'm going.

x
CG

Well Miss Chicita,

I see you are a no holds barred type of gal! I can understand laying off the OCM after your peels is quite prudent! Bad Grin Please do keep us posted about how all works out.
I wish you a lovely wedding and beautiful skin on your very special day! Very Happy

Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:55 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |