Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Oil Cleansing Method
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
sarahmarie

Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:20 pm      Reply with quote
I just read all 31 pages of this thread. . .

But anyway. . .I discovered this rather by accident about a month ago. My skin was already in pretty good shape from using Lush's Dark Angels cleanser (it contains things like charcoal, black sugar, rhassoul mud, avocado oil, a couple other oils and a few other ingredients) but it wasn't good at removing makeup. I was already using coconut oil as a body moisturizer and a pre-shampoo treatment so I thought I'd try using it to remove my makeup. I did that and followed it with my normal Lush cleanser. My skin felt FANTASTIC. That's when I decided to look up the idea of cleaning my skin with oil and I came across the OCM. I decided to try it using only coconut oil and that's what I've done for the past month. I still use my Lush cleanser a few times a week as it's a great exfoliator. Doing this my pores were looking smaller and cleaner and while I still broke out on my chin during PMS they cleared up much more quickly than normal.

I finally got Castor Oil today from the health food store and tried that using 1/2 coconut oil, 1/2 castor oil. I felt maybe about 5 bits of sand-like particles come out but that was it. I'm guessing it was already rather clear from the coconut oil?

Does anyone else use coconut oil, I only saw maybe one person mention it. . .

I really want to try the ACV and aspirin toner but we have neither ACV nor aspirin at the moment. Rolling Eyes

I also would like to get a facial steamer because I get annoyed at how quickly the hot washcloth cools.
maybetomorrow7

Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, LoriA, for giving me some advice a few weeks ago...since I've been playing around a lot with OCM and my mix of castor oil and jojoba oil and here are all the things I've noticed:

-If I haven't used OCM in a little while and I start using it during a breakout, it clears it up faster
-The more castor oil I use, the more clogged things of sebum that come out on my fingers when I do OCM...
-but at the same time, the more castor oil I use the more I seem to break out a lot and get dryness around my jawline (and only in that area??)
-OCM always clears me up from inflamed acne for a few days and then I break out a lot
-OCM surfaces many blackheads and causes pimples where blackheads are...(and I have blackheads in every pore Sad )
-I tried 100% castor oil, and it did wonders from drawing out blackheads, but it didn't give me the good skin tone that jojoba and castor oil together gave me
-I have TONS of blackheads now!!! More than when I started OCM, if that is possible...I just noticed this- while OCM is drawing out blackheads, at the same time, I have hundreds more than usual!!

So this is what I am trying to figure out...is my skin trying to tell me to stop OCM, or just do OCM consistently and let it purge??!!! It seems to be clearing me up and breaking me out at the same time...gaahhh!
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:14 pm      Reply with quote
That happened to me too, except I just used pure jojoba oil. I'm not sure if it was because the pores were emptying and just appeared dark, or if they were actually blackheads. I just know nothing was coming out after 5 minutes of rubbing so I kind of just stopped since my skin started to feel quite chaffed. I haven't really gone back to it since, but you should avoid using 100% castor oil. I think it's pretty irritating to do so.
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:07 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
So this is what I am trying to figure out...is my skin trying to tell me to stop OCM, or just do OCM consistently and let it purge??!!! It seems to be clearing me up and breaking me out at the same time...gaahhh!

Took about 3 months for the purging to stop for me....it was truly hellish, ugly, brutal, hideous, I could go on...it was BAD....

3 months...that was the limit I gave myself...and that's about the time it all started to calm down, normalize...and...soap never touches my face. I OCM.

Since then, switched to the emulsified version as that is much nicer for rinsing and getting rid of any oil residue. More gentle on the skin as well.

OCM every night, and Castor oil is 10% or so. The rest is EVOO, Grape seed oil and sometimes hemp seed oil. Threw in Vit E for the oils and me, and some Vit A for me. EO's as I feel like, because they are nice.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:15 am      Reply with quote
DragoN wrote:
Quote:

Took about 3 months for the purging to stop for me....it was truly hellish, ugly, brutal, hideous, I could go on...it was BAD....

3 months...that was the limit I gave myself...and that's about the time it all started to calm down, normalize...and...soap never touches my face. I OCM.

Since then, switched to the emulsified version as that is much nicer for rinsing and getting rid of any oil residue. More gentle on the skin as well.

OCM every night, and Castor oil is 10% or so. The rest is EVOO, Grape seed oil and sometimes hemp seed oil. Threw in Vit E for the oils and me, and some Vit A for me. EO's as I feel like, because they are nice.

What kind of skin did you have prior to OCM? And how did you deal with that purging for 3 whole months?!
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:40 am      Reply with quote
Very oily T zone...now is pretty normal.

HowI dealt with it? I gutted through it...it was awful...SA acid toner, Retin A and masks to calm the redness. The worst was along the jawline...ghastly...but all gone now and has not returned.

Pretty happy with it now. Was not then though.
maybetomorrow7

Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:26 am      Reply with quote
THREE MONTHS?? Eek! Shock

I mean, it DOES give me hope that this is just a purge...

But I really don't know if I can handle it for three months...

but DragoN, are you completely free of acne now? When I stick to just my Retin-a, I have acne, but it is tolerable...the thing is, I pick at my blackheads (bad, I know, but its a compulsion and I'm trying hard to stop) and it makes everything worse- so I keep thinking, if I can just get rid of all my blackheads, maybe I can stop the picking...but my skin is so congested I know I will be purging for a long time.

So if you're completely free of blackheads and pimples now, DragoN, that will give me hope! And, by the way, do you only use OCM now? Or do you still use Retin-a?
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:11 am      Reply with quote
I'm happy you thought whatever I wrote was helpful maybetomorrow7! OCM is definitely a very personal road & different for every individual if they're going to see it through to a successful outcome.

It seems to be a delicate balance... getting the amount of castor oil right. I'm of the opinion that castor oil as part of the recipe is necessary for those with any kind of stubborn congestion, not just to bring stuff to the surface, but to then soften the walls of the pores in order to draw the impurities out.

That said, castor can be harsh/drying, so you might think of being more gentle in your massage technique when you're using a greater amount of castor oil. Maybe try to keep in mind that you're trying to sooth your face, not trying to beat anything out of it! I think it'd be most effective to gently coax it into shape. I was awful to my skin for years before I realized that even my dark, oily skin responds better to a softer touch. Like I do! Smile
Think of OCM first as being a luxurious thing you do for yourself, not just an effective, hardworking treatment. This is where the yummy additions (eo's etc) come into play.

If your skin is feeling chaffed, you're not helping it. If it were me, I'd let it heal, then maybe try switching oils, lessening the amount of friction to your skin? Again, I think balancing a gentler touch with more castor might be the way to go in order to actually get stuff out.

I'm thinking the pimples are due to irritation - you may be forcing the blackheads out with the massage, rather than, as I said, gently coaxing them out. This is where something like that SA toner to soften might offer some ease, or use other targeted extraction methods.

This is all just my gut reaction.

I have to say that you're really lucky having DragoN responding to your posts so pump her for every bit of info you can! She's pretty low key, but an extremely valuable fountain of knowledge here.
Hi DragoN! wave

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:41 am      Reply with quote
Hello LoriA Smile

I agree with everything LoriA has written about OCM...it is a personal thing. What works for one may not for another. Be patient with your skin and very important..be gentle.
Quote:
But I really don't know if I can handle it for three months...

but DragoN, are you completely free of acne now?

Yes. Disgusting but true. I also use a B3 NAG serum, I attack from all angles and have nice acne free skin.

I use Retin A 2-3 times a week. Anti aging. A ZnO sunblock, anti aging and anti acne.
Quote:
So if you're completely free of blackheads and pimples now

Yes...I mean, if I squeeze the dickens out of my nose....I can get some yuck...but I think that is not so bad considering it really means my skin is still producing enough oils, that I have a good amount of Vit E in there too.

Pores are far more refined. There is no way I will go back to using soaps or cleansers. None...and I am an oily girl..who used to shun oils. How wrong I was...

OCM does take time...really does. It was Darkmoon that said it best " It's a shame that people don't give it the time before they quit to see it work." ....something like that anyways.,..and she is right. At least for myself, she was 110% right.

I kill two birds with one stone. OCM and Tanaka massage. Seems to be a good combination. I don't like to fuss too much with my skin care routine, pack as much in one combination and be done with it. I don't want to be a slave to my skin. But I do want it to be acne free. [ and wrinkle free is a nice bonus ]
klee96

Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:33 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone. This is my first post to the forum. I stumbled upon this board last night and am so intrigued that I will be going out to purchase the oils today.
I currently use Proactiv, which probably isn't helping much due to the fact that I still have many clogged pores!

I plan to gradually start OCM so my skin can adjust. If anyone can answer these question, I would SO appreciate it.
- if I don't do OCM everyday, is it recommended that I continue to use Proactiv on the off-days or should I just used a mild cleanser like Cetaphil?
- is it ok to follow up OCM with a benzoyl peroxide acne treatment?
- Would alternating between a product like Proactiv and OCM be too much?

Thank you in advance. Smile
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:25 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
I currently use Proactiv, which probably isn't helping much due to the fact that I still have many clogged pores!

It's BP based...not the best nor kindest thing you could be doing to your skin over the long term. BP shuts down the Vit E production in your sebaceous glands. This is not good. Leads to early wrinkling.

You might want to consider a Salicylic acid based cleansing/ toner/ mask. It's very effective at getting into the pores and clearing up the gunk. Gently exfoliating, antioxidant...generally quite useful.
klee96

Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:30 am      Reply with quote
DragoN wrote:
You might want to consider a Salicylic acid based cleansing/ toner/ mask. It's very effective at getting into the pores and clearing up the gunk. Gently exfoliating, antioxidant...generally quite useful.

Thanks DragoN.
Any brands that you would personally recommend for a cleanser/toner/ or mask?
Thanks again.
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:41 am      Reply with quote
Paula's choice 2% SA, I believe many are using. Honestly...I make my own. So from a product selection perspective I am not much help to you. However, that is the ingredient you would best be served by over BPO. It's really nasty in the long term. Short term...will appear helpful...years down the road, you will regret it.

Also....use a good ZnO sunscreen. That will do a lot to help with acne and oily skin.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:21 am      Reply with quote
DragoN wrote:
Paula's choice 2% SA, I believe many are using. Honestly...I make my own. So from a product selection perspective I am not much help to you. However, that is the ingredient you would best be served by over BPO. It's really nasty in the long term. Short term...will appear helpful...years down the road, you will regret it.

Also....use a good ZnO sunscreen. That will do a lot to help with acne and oily skin.

Yes Paula's is really nice because it also contains anti-irritants as well to soothe the skin. Just make sure you skin can tolerate it.
maybetomorrow7

Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:11 am      Reply with quote
LoriA, you are right, and I need to keep experimenting since this is so personal...based on DragoN's experience, I think I WILL stick with this...I've been using OCM 75% castor and 75% jojoba for the past 3 nights and it has really helped calmed down my crazy skin from picking Sad...but I think I'll give it a bit of a rest and then pick OCM back up again, except not every night, taking more care to be gentle...you said maybe I should switch oils- I think I should try that too, but the only thing I'm worried about is wasting money on an oil that doesn't work. I was thinking of sunflower seed oil, maybe I'll give it a try.
And thanks DragoN, your responses about how it has cleared your skin really give me hope! Very Happy Which is why I am going to endure the hardships I encounter with this...
But I really don't want to use retin-a for forever, I have used it for over a year now and it has only kept the inflamed acne at bay, and thats about it...I only use it now out of fear that without it my acne might be out of control. I think I would feel better if I eventually dropped it and went the all natural route...but then again, my skin might be too stubborn to be acne free with all natural Confused
klee96

Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:23 am      Reply with quote
On the Paula's Choice website now... Thanks for the tip.
Anyone else use these products?

I am excited but somewhat scared to the OCM tonight. My pores just seem to clog so easily and I really don't want to break out! Guess I won't know unless I try.... Neutral
maybetomorrow7

Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:35 pm      Reply with quote
Good luck, klee96! I don't think you usually start breaking out/purging with OCM until after a few days...unless you have a reaction. But I hope things go smoothly for you!

Well I decided to purchase some sweet almond oil, and I was so excited that I tried it tonight with castor oil, even though I should have given my skin a rest...ugh my skin looks pretty bad right now. I don't know if the almond oil aggravated it more or what, but it was drier after the routine than usual, and my pores are gaping at me, filled up with blackheads. A lot of my skin is flaky, red, and pimply...its really annoying me. And to make it worse, my friends are coming in town in a few hours.
But I will stick with this method...even though I feel like crying with my current skin condition Crying or Very sad
DragoN
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:51 pm      Reply with quote
Maybetomorrow7,

I use the most boring and inexpensive oils...and I use the emulsified version on my skin because it is much more gentle. It should Not be irritating your skin so badly...break out for a while...urgh...it's gross I know. But...it took me a while to get through it too. I hope it will work for you.

Re: Retin A....I used it every night for almost 10 years...the only way to control the acne...but now...2 maybe 3 times a week for anti aging.
Quote:
And thanks DragoN, your responses about how it has cleared your skin really give me hope! Very Happy Which is why I am going to endure the hardships I encounter with this...
But I really don't want to use retin-a for forever, I have used it for over a year now and it has only kept the inflamed acne at bay, and thats about it...I only use it now out of fear that without it my acne might be out of control. I think I would feel better if I eventually dropped it and went the all natural route...but then again, my skin might be too stubborn to be acne free with all natural Confused

Retin A....is superb. Don't try to eliminate it, it is a long term anti wrinkle policy. Works too.

Give your skin a rest when it is irritated. More is NOT better...generally back fires rather royally.

Be gentle with your skin...trial and error with the oils...patience. It's not an overnight cure, but it Did work for me. Took time...and nearly lost my mind and gave up...but ...now...I think it's da bomb.

What are you using for an SS? That will also affect your skin...and you NEED an SS.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:05 am      Reply with quote
klee96 wrote:
On the Paula's Choice website now... Thanks for the tip.
Anyone else use these products?

I am excited but somewhat scared to the OCM tonight. My pores just seem to clog so easily and I really don't want to break out! Guess I won't know unless I try.... Neutral

Here's some more thoughts about PC products:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=41576
maybetomorrow7

Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 pm      Reply with quote
DragoN-

What is an "SS"?
10Sylvia5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:14 am      Reply with quote
Yesturday I thought I would try OCM as my skin is dry and has some flaky areas.
So as I have Olive oil and sweet almond I used them both together in the am with the clarisonic. It was great my skin felt ok, not as dry or tight as with normal cleanser.
In the evening I tried the above with coconut oil which I had just bought.
Within about 20 mins I was a red lobster, a huge rash covering all my neck and face, hot stinging and boy was it sore Crying or Very sad

With piriton and a steroid cream (after having gently removed as much oil as I could) it is slowly subsiding, better this am but not completely.

So all I have on it is a mixture of Bio and emu oil which I can tolerate Exclamation

I would really love for this to work as cleansers even skin bios one always leave my face tight ,dry and sometimes a bit sore Rolling Eyes

Any ideas anyone Question

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:33 am      Reply with quote
10sylvia5: what kind of cleanser are you using?

maybetomorrow: I believe he/she is referring to a sunscreen
10Sylvia5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:02 am      Reply with quote
oasisjc

I am using Skin Bios face and body cleanser for sensitive and reactive skin, over time I have found soap to be really drying.( But I didnot use it yesturday)

I have just done a patch test with each oil with no reaction so it cant be them.
I did however rub quite vigourously, mabye too much Exclamation I am not ready give it up yet as I think for my skin this may well be the way to go.
I am a bit nervous of the castor oil though Rolling Eyes

Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:05 am      Reply with quote
oasisjc, thanks for the link to Paula's.

So I've tried OCM for 2 days, both at nighttime. I used castor and jojoba in a 2:1 ratio. I massaged both days for well over 5 minutes. I felt maybe about 2 oils plugs come out on both days... a little disappointed, I was hoping more, based on what I've read from other users Sad Could it be the ratio of the oils I am using or I just need to give it more days? I know there is more gunk in my pores, as I can feel all of the congestion when I am massaging my face.

So far, no breakouts are being caused my this method (keeps fingers crossed). I use a toner after I towel off the oil, just to make sure no residue is left on my face. It takes me good 5-10 minutes to towel off the oil with a hot towel. Is this how long it takes everyone else? I rinse the towel with hot water, take the oil off, and repeat until I feel that all the oil is gone.
My skin feels pretty soft but I will say that this method is quite time consuming.
I don't do it in the morning, as I don't have the time so I use a 2% salicylic acid wash in the morning, followed by a thin layer of benzoyl perozide treatment (both by Proactiv). I know another reader advised against BP, but I am prone to breakouts so I am not sure what else I would use.
oasisjc
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:32 am      Reply with quote
10Sylvia5 wrote:
oasisjc

I am using Skin Bios face and body cleanser for sensitive and reactive skin, over time I have found soap to be really drying.( But I didnot use it yesturday)

I have just done a patch test with each oil with no reaction so it cant be them.
I did however rub quite vigourously, mabye too much Exclamation I am not ready give it up yet as I think for my skin this may well be the way to go.
I am a bit nervous of the castor oil though Rolling Eyes

It may be more of the increased circulation that you're stimulating when rubbing your face that cuases it to get red and swollen
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:35 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |