Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Oil Cleansing Method
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
xampleface

Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

I am a new to this forum and ran across this whole OCM method.
I'm excited and willing to try this. My question is (obviously all skins are not created alike or equal) that with this method is it ok for all races to use?
Not everyone states age, gender, race etc. Not that one has to. It just seems helpful to know how it has helped or not.
But blemishes are not discriminating.
I'm Asian, early 30's combo skin w/ hormonal breakouts including when not eating healthful.
ALso more oily than not on a regular day but no issues there, I'd rather have a bit more oily skin than dry and tight.

More queries..
Is the castor oil predominantly THE main oil that helps bring out the blackheads, pimples, whiteheads out?
It seems so in most people.
And when it does how long or often must one use or do this regimen?
Trial and error? For how long? How would one know that if ... this" oh these past few weeks, I had no breakouts..so let me stop". Then a period feels to come on and there's a tiny breakout..does one do the regimen again?
Having to do this everyday would seem to me having more oily skin than I'd bargain for.
Wouldn't that alone cause the breakout?
I'm confused.

Again, I'm sorry for all the questions. It's not that easy to go thru every post and member's profile on the forums.

If someone can pls clarify and just relay their experiences on their regimen w/ this OCM for say a year or at least 5 mos. and are they still doing their routine? How has it helped inthe overall texture and balance of your skin?

Thanks in advance.
lettucehead

Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
I have read this whole gosh darn thread.
Whew!
Lotta info here!
Thank you so much to those who have posted and shared their knowledge and experiences - both positive and negative - all contribute to our understanding of the risks and benefits of the OCM process!

For myself, being the immoderate person that I am, I have thrown myself into OCM.
I have castor oil on order, and have been using sesame seed oil with a few drops of tea tree oil in the meantime.
Today, I bought Sunflower oil and Jojoba oil at Trader Joe's.
I have cold pressed Castor oil on order that should be here early next week.

I am in my 30s with combination skin - dry to normal on cheeks with sun damage and hyperpigmentation. On my T-zone, I get very oily halfway through the day and all my makeup slides off in those areas. Mad
I also have enlarged pores in my T-zone and general dull/congested skin all over.
I have moderately sensitive skin, and will rash around my chin if I use some chemicals/meds that are too harsh.
I regularly have whiteheads on my cheeks and base of nose.

I'm on my 3rd day of OCM and doing well so far - it actually seems to be helping the rash I got from overeager use of Glycolic Cleanser AND cream that I started at the same time a couple weeks ago *facepalm*

Few hard cream plugs everyday and several smaller black plugs.
The sheer grossness of what is coming out of my face fascinates me and I think I'd continue this regimen every day just for the opportunity to happily repulse myself each night.

If and when the dreaded 'purge' comes, I'll likely decreased the OCM from 2x/d as currently, to 1x every other day. We'll just have to see.

Currently, I'm doing OCM AM and PM, then apple cider vinegar (diluted 50:50 with distilled water) as a toner. Then I'm using a DIY Vit C serum.
Then Grapeseed Oil as a moisturizer in the PM.
In the AM, I follow the DIY Vit C serum with Avalon Moisturizer with Vitamins then Neutrogena SPF 50 Pure and Free (physical sunscreen).
I use Skin 79 BB Cream for my makeup.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Oh, and hey! I just got some Moringa Leaf Powder as well as some Pomegranate Fruit Powder - I'm debating where best to use them.
In a serum with the Vit C?
With my Apple Cider Vinegar Toner?
Infused with my OCM oils?

Anyone have any ideas about this?
datman

Sun May 19, 2013 7:19 pm      Reply with quote
I used to do OCM but never really understood that you really need to apply a significant amount of pressure and give it a lot of time to get the gunk out. Before I'd just put some castor oil on my skin and gently move it around and then wash it off, and then get breakouts. I started using DIAL soap on my skin to get the castor oil off after I do OCM and I haven't broken out and surprisingly my skin has not gotten overdry from the Dial. I started using the dial after I read someone saying their derm with beautiful skin told her to use Dial and that she (the derm) uses Dial twice a day.

I read that in Asian countries, oil cleansing is very popular but a key component is getting ALL the oil off when you're done by using a cleanser. I don't think water and a wascloth would ever get the castor oil off for me.

The gunk that has been coming out of my skin is disgusting but the process is so addictive. Just when you think you got everything out, you rub for five more minutes and then it feels like a thousand grains of sand raise out of your skin. I used to think "skin congestion" was a bunch of hooey, but your fingers become very sensitive to feeling out congested areas. You really begin to be able to differentiate where on your skin there are spots with lots of congestion.

When people talk about it making them break out (saying they're getting acne beards and whatnot), they invariably talk about how they rinse with water or something. You really need a strong cleanser to get it off your skin.
mimij67

Fri May 24, 2013 1:54 pm      Reply with quote
Great thread. What I don't understand is why people who are prone to clogging are no using a 100% safe oil for clog-prone skin with a zero comedogenicity rating such as polyunsaturated safflower or sunflower oil, or the b-vitamin rich, non-comedogenic, high linoleic acid: HEMP SEED oil. It seems after all this reading that almost any oil will get plugs out, but that if you are prone to clogging and your natural sebum is high in oleic acid, you will continue to get congestion unless you use a oil that is high in linoleic acid which will keep your own sebum liquid and flowing. This is what I have learned from researching a bit on the web for the past 3 weeks. Especially, especially if you have closed comedonal whiteheads that are buried underneath the skin. THis means your sebum is deficient in linoleic acid so be VERY careful and only, only choose oils that are 0 comedongenicity and high linoleic. I hope this helps someone reading this thread!
mimij67

Fri May 24, 2013 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
This seems very personal, but from what I have researched, cleanser strip and irritate the skin. As does tap water. Removing the oil with cotton pads soaked in spring/filtered water (no chlorine) gently until the pads come clean seems ideal. For me the cleansers irritate and ruin the acid mantle which I thought we were trying to avoid by cleansing with oil?
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 24, 2013 10:21 pm      Reply with quote
mimij67 wrote:
Great thread. What I don't understand is why people who are prone to clogging are no using a 100% safe oil for clog-prone skin with a zero comedogenicity rating such as polyunsaturated safflower or sunflower oil, or the b-vitamin rich, non-comedogenic, high linoleic acid: HEMP SEED oil. It seems after all this reading that almost any oil will get plugs out, but that if you are prone to clogging and your natural sebum is high in oleic acid, you will continue to get congestion unless you use a oil that is high in linoleic acid which will keep your own sebum liquid and flowing. This is what I have learned from researching a bit on the web for the past 3 weeks. Especially, especially if you have closed comedonal whiteheads that are buried underneath the skin. THis means your sebum is deficient in linoleic acid so be VERY careful and only, only choose oils that are 0 comedongenicity and high linoleic. I hope this helps someone reading this thread!

I think an oil's comedogenecy is more of a personal body chemistry thing. The comedogenic list is based on a rabbit's ear, not a human face. It says algae and seaweed extracts are pretty high, but I've used them for years and they never made me break out or get more balckheads.
wishful skin
5% products discount

Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:17 pm      Reply with quote
I've tried doing OCM twice, I hear rave reviews about it but it didn't work for me. I deal with a lot of blackheads and it sounded like this gets rid of clogged pores. The first time I didn't last long because it seemed like there were more blackheads popping up on my face but I wasn't sure, I quit anyway. Months later I tried it again and stuck with it a little longer, maybe a month, and it was definately giving me more blackheads and wasn't helping with the acne either. I used castor oil, mixed with either jojoba oil or grapeseed oil, I think I tried olive oil too. I would use very hot water, and steam my face with the wash cloth 3 times and then wipe it all off at the end. Not sure what I was doing wrong.
snowshoe
5% products discount

Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
wishful skin wrote:
I used castor oil, mixed with either jojoba oil or grapeseed oil, I think I tried olive oil too. I would use very hot water, and steam my face with the wash cloth 3 times and then wipe it all off at the end. Not sure what I was doing wrong.

All of the oils you list except for the castor oil are somewhat comedogenic (rated at least a 2 on the scale). Perhaps you didn't remove them thoroughly enough?

Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
I have a bit sensitive skin that isn't very prone to breakouts, so I use a small amount of castor oil with jojoba, argan and or avocado oil, and maybe some rosehip seed, meadowfoam seed or borage. I do OCM 1x or 2x a week, since my skin is always happiest if I don't overdo anything.

Instead of using a cleanser after, I go over my face with some spring water on a cottonball, pat dry, and finish off with jojoba for my skin barrier.

I'm probably not doing it exactly as I'm meant to... but for whatever reason, it does a great job for making my skin plumper and younger looking, and gives me a nice healthy color.

Anyway, just thought I'd post this since I was ready to stop with OCM until I tweaked it a little to work for my skin type, now it's one of my favorite skincare things. Smile

53, fair... passing for mid 30s thx to all I've learned here. Cycling 2 things a day works wonders for me. In my arsenal: filler 1x/yr.; DIY niacinamide, CEF; OCM ; NCN Retinol, Volulift, GHK; a little facial exercise; and just started Pico Toner.
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
To anybody who is having trouble with breaking out:

1 It might be the dreaded purge period
2 You could try using an emulsifier in the oil, and/or removing any excess with a toner afterwards.

If you wanted to go the all natural route I think using a toner afterwards would really be your only option. I use an ecocert approved emulsifier for my ocm and body scrubs but it's flakes instead of liquid. So there's some thickening there that not everyone likes.

I know someone who cleans her face with glycerin, honey, and some preservative that turns the mixture blue. Lol.
wishful skin
5% products discount

Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:49 pm      Reply with quote
snowshoe wrote:
wishful skin wrote:
I used castor oil, mixed with either jojoba oil or grapeseed oil, I think I tried olive oil too. I would use very hot water, and steam my face with the wash cloth 3 times and then wipe it all off at the end. Not sure what I was doing wrong.

All of the oils you list except for the castor oil are somewhat comedogenic (rated at least a 2 on the scale). Perhaps you didn't remove them thoroughly enough?

I always hear grapeseed and jojoba oil recommended for oily/acne skin. My skin isn't really oily, more combination, I easily get blackheads on my face, my nose is completely covered. I thougtht I was removing it thoroughly enough, I don't know. I ran out of the cream I was using recently (a very light and dry cream) so I sarted applying either jojoba or rosehip oil as a moisturizer, and I've been noticing more blackheads on my face last few days. Maybe it's the jojoba oil. Might try OCM as a once a week experiment, but I have found a natural cleanser I like, it uses coconut oil, haven't used it long enough on its own to see results, since I've been using up another cleanser in the meantime.
yadanpeng

Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
oil skin same. Crying or Very sad this method sonds good,
yadanpeng

Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:17 pm      Reply with quote
i am very courious about the result
Very Happy
lubojart

Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:04 pm      Reply with quote
Hey, girls! I just registered here when I read about OC. I've been doing this for a bit over two weeks now and I'm hooked! So I thought about sharing my experience with you!
First of all, EVOO will probably clog your pores. So if they are clogged and you are using it, use something else instead! I found out that grapeseed oil doesnt break me out, even being a 2 on comedogenic ratings. The Safflower Oil is 0 tho, so it might be a good try!

Anyway, I'm 23, almost 24 now, and I've been suffering with acne all my life, even on the pill. Until I started my new skin regimen, I mean. Every morning and every evening I do the same: oil cleanse and raw honey mask. And everything organic too, so I know exactly what I'm putting on my face! My oil miz is the following:
1 tbsp jojoba oil (can break out some people, tho)
1 tbsp grapeseed oil
1 tbsp castor oil
1 tbsp tamanu oil (this is MAGICAL for people with acne and blemishes)
10 drops tea tree essential oil

My method is the same as Crunchy Betty (for you girls who like DIY skincare, her blog is paradise! It's what convinced me to oil cleanse, and I'm glad it did!) I wet my face with warm water, apply the oil, massage it for a few minutes, put a warm, wet washcloth on my face, wait for it to cool down, and work through removing the oil with this cloth, rinsing it all the time.
Afterwards I make a raw honey mask and wait for 10 minutes or so, and rinse it with warm water.
Skin glows. Acne disappear. No more pain. Beautiful.

There are two things I'm going to include, tho. I wanna put more castor oil on the next batch (one batch lasts me for a few weeks) and also lavender essential oil.

Also, I'm gonna make a bentonite clay mask (1/2 bentonite clay, 1/2 AVC, plus a few drops of lavender EO) and apply it every week or so. I've read wonders about clay masks and I'm more than willing to try!
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:37 pm      Reply with quote
If you want something with more surface area than clay, you could try activated charcoal. You have to be careful with it because it's as black as night though. Laughing
lubojart

Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:08 am      Reply with quote
More surface area? what do you mean?
morocha
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
Does this method stretches the skin?
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:36 pm      Reply with quote
lubojart wrote:

My method is the same as Crunchy Betty (for you girls who like DIY skincare, her blog is paradise! It's what convinced me to oil cleanse, and I'm glad it did!) ...///...
Also, I'm gonna make a bentonite clay mask (1/2 bentonite clay, 1/2 AVC, plus a few drops of lavender EO) and apply it every week or so. I've read wonders about clay masks and I'm more than willing to try!

Hi lubojart, and Thanks for the info about Crunchy Betty, I hadn't heard about her blog/web page till now, just taken a peek and looks interesting. I'm sure you'll find clay masks delightful if you enjoy natural DIY stuff, I really like just plain green clay, and then to that you can also go adding other "ingredients" like EO, other oils, egg white or yolks, etc, all depending and what you want to achieve. Where do you buy your bentonite clay? Never tried that one. TIA.

morocha wrote:

Does this method stretches the skin?

Hi Morocha, not that I know of. You're not supossed to strech the skin during the cleansing, and I haven't heard of any case of the OCM causing the skin to go slack. Not very sure what you mean though so may not be solving your doubt or question.
morocha
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:50 am      Reply with quote
I was wondering if it does since you are using a washcloth everyday to remove the excess oil.
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:11 am      Reply with quote
morocha wrote:
I was wondering if it does since you are using a washcloth everyday to remove the excess oil.

I think I started using OCM in 2003 and doing plain water washes in 2006 both of which involve using a face flannel. That means that every evening, for at least 7-10 years, I have used a washcloth to wash my face. I have not noticed any stretching to my skin from this.

One isn't gripping skin between fingers and pulling it apart while keeping it relaxed so I don't follow why you think skin would stretch from using a washcloth to clean it. My face feels as if it just got a nice firm massage after I wash it with a face cloth. *shrug*
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
lubojart wrote:
More surface area? what do you mean?

I guess I didn't see this when you first posted it.

Surface area is the total area on the outside of the particles. (It absorbs more.)
Auu
5% products discount

Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:01 pm      Reply with quote
I use a Elemis balm cleanser, which works in the same way. Only need a small amount to cleanse and it is so easy to massage onto your skin. The cloth takes all make up and dirt off easily and quickly. My skin feels nourished and soft. I'd never go back to soap based cleansers!
MellieAlinda

Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:07 am      Reply with quote
Hi all,

Im 29yo and started OCM Dec 1 2013. My mix was and still is 1/4 teaspoon Castor Oil, 1/2 teaspoon Grapeseed Oil. I massage each area of my face for 30 seconds, so my facial massage lasts 3minutes.

After I put a pot full of water on the stove and let it come to a boil. I remove the pot and put a towel over my head and steam my face for 4 minutes. I wipe with cotton wool pads and repeat.

Next I splash with cold water, pat dry and apply a homemade toner (aloe vera plant, green tes and lime juice). Next I take a little Grapeseed oil and moisturise my face.

On mornings, I just splash my face with warm water when in the shower and pat dry.

Now for my story. Two weeks in, my cheeks started to breakout. I ignored and continued my regimen because I had read about the purging stage. They started to clear up, but then my temples and forehead decided to join the breakout party around the end of December. My cheeks still aren't fully clear and I have some dark spots on them, and I'm afraid I'll have dark spots on my forehead too.

This is two months in and I feel like my purging period is taking forever. Before OCM i used Clean n Clear oil free foaming facial wash and followed up with the dual action moistursier. My skin used to be clear as day, and I am quite tempted to return to this regimen.

Please help me.

Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:46 am      Reply with quote
Also I plan to switch to Sunflower Oil on Feb 1 and continue with the OCM for 90 days. If my skin doesn't clear up by then. I'm calling it quits and going back to my Clean and Clear from May 1

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:00 am      Reply with quote
MellieAlinda,

Good call on switching oils. Sometimes even those with comedogenicity rating of 0 will break someone out....nothing is non-comedogenic for everyone.

I personally don't believe in "purging" with OCM. If you're breaking out, you're not compatible with the oils you're using. Purging only happens with ingredients that are actively exfoliating the skin ...oil is not an active exfoliant.

Here's an article by someone who agrees with that http://www.skinacea.com/faq/acne/a05-purging-vs-breaking-out.html#.Ut6Yen876SM
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:16 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |