Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Cystic Acne Gone Wrong!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
kittylove
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
...Not that there is ever anything right about cystic acne...

I have been experiencing this on my chin for a few weeks now. The thing is, even if I don't touch it, they swell up so bad that the skin peels off them and they scar no matter what. I have been being very gentle with them--using OCM and nothing too harsh on them. However, about half of the skin on my chin is gone and the underlying area is extremely red. It looks and feels like a very bad burn. Should I keep the 'wounds' moist with polysporin or something, or should I just let them crust over and hopefully go away in 6 or 8 months time? Rolling Eyes
...I'm too damned old for this!!! Sad
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
I'd use polysporin. I'd also see a dermatologist. There's got to be something to alleviate your pain.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 10:13 pm      Reply with quote
I feel your pain! I used to get cystic acne, but never had what you're experiencing, with the peeling. I'd definitely consult a dermatologist. Do you use any products to treat/prevent acne?

Try a hot compress to help with any soreness (washcloth, hot water). This will also help to draw out the infection in your pores.
chewsigirl

Mon May 01, 2006 10:40 pm      Reply with quote
It sounds like you are past the point of OTCs. You really should see a DERM...you've most probably developed a staph infection. Some antibiotics should take care of that real quickly.

Have you had your thyroid checked out? Usually, acne along the chin/jaw area is caused by a hormonal imbalance.

I use a great mask called Sebo-Controle Mask by Janssen Cosmeceuticals. They also have a healing serum that I think is called Immunizing complex...or something like that.

GOOD LUCK
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 11:55 pm      Reply with quote
Kittylove- I was getting those much more than usual on my chin too. Man, there're so painful! They would do the same thing- that peeling and red, raw skin thing. I started using my aspirin mask every day instead of every other day and it really helped them diminish much faster and helped with the inflammation. I thought that increasing my asp mask usage would irritate my skin but it hasn't. I am hoping those pesky cysts have subsided now...

Whatever the case, I would see a derm.

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
ErinChristine
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 5:06 am      Reply with quote
Hi Kittylove-
I feel your pain! I am suffering a bout a cystic acne myself! It's on my lest cheek and jaw line. Another poster said something about a hormonal imbalance? Maybe, I'm still nursing. Anyway, these blowup into big. hard lumps. They are red and actually painful. They leave a mark lasting up to a month. If I squeeze one, what's underneath will spread under my skin. They rarely pop. When one goes down, another pops up! I usually have 2 or 3 at a time! The most at one time was 4! Sad I am eagerly reading the responses as this is embarrassing to me! especially since I am also starting to worry about fine lines coming in...I'm feel to old for zits and too young for wrinkles! Confused
ErinChristine
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 5:17 am      Reply with quote
chewsigirl wrote:
It sounds like you are past the point of OTCs. You really should see a DERM...you've most probably developed a staph infection. Some antibiotics should take care of that real quickly.

Have you had your thyroid checked out? Usually, acne along the chin/jaw area is caused by a hormonal imbalance.

I use a great mask called Sebo-Controle Mask by Janssen Cosmeceuticals. They also have a healing serum that I think is called Immunizing complex...or something like that.

GOOD LUCK

Hi. I did a web search and couldn't find those two products. Where did you get yours? About how much do they cost? Thank you.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 7:12 am      Reply with quote
I've had bouts of cystic acne at different times in my life, so here's what worked for me (maybe a combination of these things will be the ticket for you):
DDF Sulfur mask (Sulfur is really good at knocking out the really painful, inflamed blemishes---it's very strong tho, so be careful not to overdo it)
Juice Beauty Blemish Serum (This one is nice because it as NEVER dried out my skin like other treatments can do)
Aspirin Mask (I use aspirin, cream, honey, and a little bit of green tea) This has also never irritated my skin.

Of course I also always recommend drinking fresh green tea and hyakunencha herb tea to treat your body from the inside while you wage war on the outside.^-^

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 7:34 am      Reply with quote
OH, and I forgot a very important option: going to the dermatologist and getting some cortisone injected under them! That won't stop new ones from coming in so you still have to find some kind of topical treatment you like, but it will sure get rid of the ones you have in about a day!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 7:48 am      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:

Of course I also always recommend drinking fresh green tea and hyakunencha herb tea to treat your body from the inside while you wage war on the outside.^-^

I've never heard of hyakunencha. What can you tell me about it? I'm interested! Very Happy
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 8:15 am      Reply with quote
Hyakunen cha translates to "hundred year tea." It's a relatively new herbal tea from Japan that uses herbs, plants, fruits, and mushrooms that are supposed to help cleanse the body, support the immune system, and just provide overall health support. Of course, you have to take claims like that with a grain of salt, but since I love drinking herb tea anyway (and this one has won all these international awards for its great taste), I figured I'd give it a shot. I was pleasantly surprised that after drinking a glass or so a day for a couple weeks, I was getting fewer break outs. I also drink green tea every day, so personally I think the two teas work synergistically. (BTW it DOES taste really good, esp poured over a tall glass of ice^-^) You can read more about it and order it here:
http://japanesegreenteaonline.com/hyakuingredients.htm

I get the blue version. Hope this helps!^-^

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 10:14 am      Reply with quote
I am almost hesitant to post, given my wonderful results ("the acne jinx". At any rate, once your skin has healed, please visit acne.org.

I have followed this man's regimine for one month and my skin is now...(whisper)...clear.

Specifically, I contended with moderate acne breakouts....with cystic acne on my chin and jawline.

If you visit Acne.org.....definitely order their own Benzoyl Peroxide Gel. It is awesome. My moisturizer choice is Juice Organics SPF 30 Light Tint Moisturizer.

Good luck......I urge you to visit the website. I never thought that my skin would look this (whisper) clear.

Belledivine.... 39, medium/fair complexion.
kittylove
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 10:26 am      Reply with quote
Thank you everyone.
I have dealt with this problem on and off for years. At one point I used Proactiv and it was the only thing that helped. I've been to my doctor and a dermatologist and nothing they did helped.
As was suggested, I checked out acne.org. I think I'll give it a try. I've been concentrating on salacylic acid for treatment, but I really do think I should do the benzoyl peroxide thing. It is an ingredient in Proactiv so hey why not....
Thanks again everyone...and it really does help to know I'm not the only one...
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 2:46 pm      Reply with quote
ErinChristine wrote:
I'm feel to old for zits and too young for wrinkles! Confused

I know exactly what you mean!

I guess I didn't mention in my last post on this thread that cysts and breakouts on the jawline and chin are usually indicative to hormonal imbalances/"issues" in your body.

About a month and a half ago I went to a new dermatologist b/c my insurance changed and the first visit I had with him he prescribed Aldactone which is an androgen blocker. He had seen much success with this in women with adult acne. I went into his office all ready to tell him to bring on the Accutane b/c I was sick and tired of breaking out. I am SOOOOO glad that he decided to take the hormonal approach with me seeing that for over the last 12 years I had tried almost all of the acne medications out there and had little success with many of them. I am really seeing improvement with the Aldactone (I am also use Tazorac and Benzaclin) and I especially like that my face is a lot less oily. I just wish that the dermatologists I had been seeing for 6 years before this new doctor I just started going to would have addressed hormones. Rolling Eyes

This forum has helped me a lot in the sense that I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one out there with an issue. It's amazing how commisterating can help a person cope. And I am SO thankful for the information I get from this forum. Invaluable.

And Kittylove, just make sure that you don't combine the SA with BP (use one in the AM and one in the PM) b/c they cancel each other's effectiveness out. I'm sure you already knew that though. Good luck Smile

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
kittylove
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 3:00 pm      Reply with quote
amnis--I knew that combining the two would be very harsh but I didn't know they'd cancel each other out!! Makes me wonder why companines like Neutrogena produce a system that uses both... hmm

...and my husband talked me into using Proactiv again. He said " why would you try something else when you know it works for you?"
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
kittylove wrote:
amnis--I knew that combining the two would be very harsh but I didn't know they'd cancel each other out!! Makes me wonder why companines like Neutrogena produce a system that uses both... hmm

...and my husband talked me into using Proactiv again. He said " why would you try something else when you know it works for you?"

It's okay to use both SA and BP in a treatment regimen just as long as you use one in the morning and one at night after cleansing. I never really knew this either so for so many years I unknowingly canceled out effectiveness (like when I used a moisturizer with SA but spot treated with BP). I think it was this forum that I learned that (and when I really started researching skin care I read about it in books and articles). Companies should really mention this fact on their packaging...

A few years ago I tried Proactiv and after a few months of it helping me it quit working b/c my face became worse then before I started it in the first place. I also had too much irritation from it. Do you experience any irritation?

kittylove
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 03, 2006 4:35 am      Reply with quote
My skin is pretty tough, it takes a lot to irritate it. I do recall some peeling but that's about it.
I had a 4 day weekend (it was wonderful) so I spent it makeup free and put a neosporin like product on my chin pretty much the whole time. This morning it looks so much better and I am not so horrified to go to work with my chin like this...
Anxious
ErinChristine
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 03, 2006 7:04 am      Reply with quote
amnis-
I used proactive and it didn't do much for me. My very got VERY dry and my breakouts were about the same. I did, however, like a proactive mask. I forget the name, but I used it as a spot treatment and mask. It did heal existing zits. I think the main ingredient was sulphur.

ErinChristine
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 03, 2006 7:19 am      Reply with quote
I too am prone to cystic acne and had to go an awful course of accutane 24 years ago. I still got one from time to time but that stopped after the proheal and active serums. I had tiny little breakouts on the jaw line with oily skin/hair so my doc put me on a very low dose of aldactone, 25 mg. I don't even take it every day and it is still more than enough. Knocked them right out.
canadagal
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 04, 2006 2:31 pm      Reply with quote
I never really had any cystic acne until I began to use the OCM. then all hell broke out on my chin, ohh they were so painfull. I have now stopped using the OCM. to clear it up I have been using PSF acne mud treatment and I couldnt rave about it enough! I really think the OCM did a number on my skin, I guess it is good for some people, just not me.
Olivia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 05, 2006 6:04 am      Reply with quote
I feel your pain. I have/had the same bumps on my chin and jaw. The ONLY think that made them fade was tea tree oil every morning and night. It stinks and it dosent "feel" like it is doing anything but it really works after a time. Good luck! I didnt get acne until my late 20's...! Its crazy!
Feliz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 05, 2006 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
Hello Kittylove,

I just want to say I too have endured cystic acne in the jaw area and I have the scars to remind me!! Let me tell you a few things that really made a difference. Evening Primrose oil. Efamal is the best products out there with 12% GLA. You need to take 3000mg a day, which is 3 - 1000mg capsuuls for 3 months daily, than you can reduce the amount. This helps tremedously.
Cystic acne in the jaw area is related to homonal imbalances related to stress. The chin represents the kidney and adrenal glands. When you have high stress it triggers the adrenal glands to produce cortisol and androgen hormones. Cortisol increases inflamation in the body adn depresses the immune system while androgen hormones act like testosterone in the body equalling ACNE!!! I have see woman as old as 70 who still get huge cystic acne in the jaw area. The Primrose should help.
The next thing that will really help is the IS CLinical Proheal serum. I know the prices are expensive yet the bottle lasts 5 months and REALLY works. That stuff dramatically cleared my skin (with holistic internal products combined). You should also consider taking something for your liver. Go to a healthfood store and ask for advice on a combination of cleansing herbs for the liver with dandilion root and burdock root (also good for the kidneys). I found this combo very helpful.

Dermatologists will prescribe some chemicals which may or may not help, yet are sure to inbalance your body to some degree.

I hope this is helpful.

Feliz
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 06, 2006 8:10 am      Reply with quote
kittylove wrote:

I have used Proactiv for close to five years. My skin is naturally dry, and I used to get cystic acne everywhere. It has never stopped working!!! Using it makes pimples one less thing to worry about. The 3-piece makes my skin smooth, even toned... and most importantly, big, painful zit free. I don't think people realize you need to use it religiously when you start. Yes, it's drying, but it's bringing out all the nasty stuff in your pores. You need to use it for a full two months to really appreciate it. And never skip a step.
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 06, 2006 3:04 pm      Reply with quote
After switching to a different brand of birth control pills last month, the hormonal imbalance and some stress wreaked havoc on my chin. The only thing that has helped me gain control of my cystic pimples is Lumiport's Dermastyle acne pen. It's a pen that shines blue/red light that supposedly destroys bacteria deep within the skin that lotions/creams can't penetrate into, and reduce inflammation. Used for 10 mins twice a day, my pimple comes to a tiny whitehead within a day and is gone by the next day. It's expensive but you don't get the drying/flaking side effects of topicals.
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 11, 2006 10:52 am      Reply with quote
violetanne wrote:
kittylove wrote:

I have used Proactiv for close to five years. My skin is naturally dry, and I used to get cystic acne everywhere. It has never stopped working!!! Using it makes pimples one less thing to worry about. The 3-piece makes my skin smooth, even toned... and most importantly, big, painful zit free. I don't think people realize you need to use it religiously when you start. Yes, it's drying, but it's bringing out all the nasty stuff in your pores. You need to use it for a full two months to really appreciate it. And never skip a step.

Lucky you that Proactiv works for you. I actually did stick it out with the Proactiv. I stayed with it for at least 8 months I think. Just didn't work for me. But now I am realizing that my breakouts are mostly related to hormonal imbalance and diet.

System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:52 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |