Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Retinaldehyde cause Brown Patches?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:05 am      Reply with quote
Hello!

I have been using the Ystheal Emulsion Lotion (with Retinaldehyde), and noticed 2 days ago a small brown patch developing on my cheek (below the undereye area). I wake up this morning and now see a 2nd brown patch appearing next to the other brown patch. The brown patch is flat, tanish (looks like an age spot type thing).

Ystheal is the only new product I have added to my skincare routine and have been using it faithfully for 1 week every night. Is this Ystheal Emulsion causing these brown patches? My skin has never had any sun damage or patches or discolorations showing, so this concerns me? Should I stop using it.

Ystheal is the only new product I am using (I use SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic in morning with B5 Gel and SkinCeuticals Intense Line Defense serum 12% AHA every night before I put the Ysthal lotion on). Also, I use an SPF 30 Sunblock every morning. What do you think is causing this? Is the Retinaldehyde exfoliating skin that is revealing these brown patches below? Help!
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:07 am      Reply with quote
Hi
Could be that you're exfoliating much more strongly than before with the 12% AHA plus the Retinaldehyde.

I did have a colleague who went for a facial which suddenly revealed melasma for the first time. I can only imagine that they used really strong exfoliants and she hadn't before and maybe it was waiting to emerge.

I've remember reading online before that someone had melasma appear after a facial too.

They're both just accounts and I really can't imagine what the science or the reason is behind that happening. It seems a little mysterious. You would think it would emerge anyway without exfoliants.

Maybe you should either use the AHA or the Retinaldehyde, perhaps alternate nights.

I wonder if this has happened to anyone else here.

Edited p.s. you could ask them here - on the skincarerx melasma board if you're really worried about it - they'd be more likely to know.
http://skincarerx.com/phorum/list.php?3
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:32 am      Reply with quote
Hi MystyPines - I've used Ystheal for many months now and haven't experienced any increased pigmentation. But I only use it a couple of nights a week at most, and in general, I've cut back on using acid products or any exfoliants very frequently. I feel my skin gets too irritated otherwise, as well as making it much more vulnerable to photo-damage.

I have to agree with Molly -- I think you're over-doing it especially considering the sunscreen you're using. I've used SC Intense Line Defense in the past, but not very often since it's fairly strong. Instead, I occasionally use an enzyme peel (PSF Pumpkin Mask), but make sure I REALLY slather on the SS (Avene SPF50+) for days following.

I think it's fair to say most forum members dislike the stronger SS because they're so oily and whitish compared to others. I don't mind them, and I don't even use acids and exfoliants to the degree that you or other members do.

I think if you want to keep using these products at this rate, you'd be wise to use a much more protective sunscreen than you're using. If you just can't stand the better SS, maybe you should back off. Those brown spots are a warning sign.
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
It is so weird, like I said the first one developed about 2 days ago, and this morning the 2nd one is there. I have very fair skin and a white complexion (blonde, blue-eyed), but I don't have freckles or any other type of pigmentation problems. I wonder if I should scrub the area with Epidermix II (home microdermabrasion)? Or, just eliminate using either the SkinCeut. AHA 12% Serum or the Ystheal Emulsion.
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
I had some brown spots appear after I'd used CP's for a few months. That was last year....I still have them. Confused
doodlebug
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
I'm curious to know about this. I too have had some strange brown spots come up and I was blaming it on Self Tanner. The TAn faded, but the spots never did. Sad

But I was using an AHA at the time too. Now you've got my curiosity peaked. I thought the AHA would help to dimish them?
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
PocoLoco wrote:
I had some brown spots appear after I'd used CP's for a few months. That was last year....I still have them. Confused

Oh, gee thanks, Poco. Maybe I'b better sample the cp first-me with melasma-I don't like the idea of brown spots appearing out of no where.
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry! I'm pretty certain that these spots were under my skin's surface and that the CP's caused them to be pushed to the surface. I just haven't been successful at making them disappear (I don't use AHA's).
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
They do also say that glycolic can cause hyperpigmentation to worsen in the long run. It can have a kick-back effect like with Hydroquinone. So you whiten, but then they come back worse if you're exposed to UV.

Trouble is you never know if this is the result of using a product or just coincidence. My hyperpigmentation appeared after using Retin A for some time so my hunch is it was that coupled with inadequate sun protection, but I can't say for sure Confused
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:13 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, that's true now that I think of it. Also, retinol. My melasma started years ago when I used retin-a and didn't use (adequate if any) sunscreen.O.K. we're talking 20 years ago-I think I secretly wanted a tan. Naturally, my derm gave me hydraquinone. Naturally, when summer came around, the areas got worse. The vicious cycle.... Confused

O.k. this is strange...Molly did you just edit & add the stuff about retin-a ...I swear I didn't see it when I was replying to your post Embarassed
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
I do find that Supercop x2 actually repairs some of my hyperpigmentation for good, but REALLY slowly.

Yes Marina - I always edit after I post because I'm too lazy to read it before and then I think of something I wanted to add.

What a coincidence both thinking Retin A is the guilty party Shock
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
Yes and thank goodness; I thought I was having another menopausal moment Embarassed
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:54 pm      Reply with quote
i've been using Diacneal (and that is all!) every other night which has both retinaldehyde and glycolic. initially i felt it brought up brown spots, but after a year or so it's definitely helped clear all but the worst of them. (i also know that i *noticed* the brown spots more because it really helped clear my face of acne and red spots.) of course, using the Avene SPF50+ spray is an absolute must as well. every time i stray, looking for a more elegant SS, they start popping up again.

(you've all got me debating trying to add CP's every third night, BTW. sigh)
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:23 am      Reply with quote
I think I will stop using the AHA 12% and continue to use the Ystheal Emulsion w/ Retinaldhyde.

I forgot to mention I also use 3 days a week PeterThomasRoth 10% Glycolic Pads. So, I have been washing my face with cleanser, use the 10% Glycolic Pads, put on the 12% AHA Serum and then put on the Ystheal Emulsion. Maybe it was overkill?

Last night I just used my cleanser and eliminated the other products.
PocoLoco
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:40 am      Reply with quote
MystyPInes,

Yes, the Ystheal + AHA was too much for your skin. It is best to alternate them on different nights, if you are still able to use AHA's after incorporating the retinoid (some people can not use AHA's anymore after that due to sensitivity).

When you use the Ystheal, it should be the first thing to go on your face after cleansing. Wait 30 minutes for it to convert in your skin to the active form of retinoic acid, then apply the next product in your routine.
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:04 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |