Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

HELP HELP HELP hair falling off
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
annachan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:59 am      Reply with quote
appletini wrote:
Are you on any medications?

Certain commonly prescribed drugs, such as beta blockers, are known to cause hair loss but doctors rarely mention this as they don't consider hair loss important Rolling Eyes

I was wondering about meds as I had been on anti infammatory tabs and antacids which I have stopped now for over 2 months....how long do you think it will take to see an improvement....have tons of little hairs growing but hope they will continue and not stop.....but as I said I have noticed this years ago and had just thought my hair had snapped off from a bad perm and never paid much attention and it all grew back....hmmmm.....but my hair hasnt been really full for years now (but been on medication for years now so...)
Ocha
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
Agent OO-CAT wrote:
Thank you all for all the tips and info. I'll look into all of them.

Why not use plastic combs?!

I was told that plastic comb creates static and will damage the tissue of the hair...causing the hair to be broken more easily.
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:54 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Ocha. Out goes that plastic comb then! There's an article in Real Simple magazine this month about hair brushes and how boar bristles help distribute the oils better. I'm also going to look into adding MSM to my diet.
nomoreneckpain
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:04 pm      Reply with quote
ocha, I thought the prob w/ plastic coombs had to do with their quality and how they're made re: to breakage and scratching the scalp. I use a wide-toothed one only when my hair is wet. It's made in Switzerland for what that's worth and is supposed to guard against breakage-Cesare is the brand. HTH.
VL
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:12 pm      Reply with quote
Hello,

I have very fine hair and have to take care of it to keep it healthy and glowing - get comments on it now that I have grown my hair!

externally, I do a hot oil treatment once a week. I use olive oil. I warm a bit and apply with a cotton wad(it prevents breakage) to my scalp and to my ends. Then I massage with the cotton wad for 5minutes. You should keep it on for atleast an hour (if not more) before you shampoo it off. That's the very basic I do. Then, during weather change (when you tend to lose hair as trees lose leaves), I beat an egg, massage as much as needed on my oiled scalp. Leave it on for 5minutes before I shampoo it off. I also condition my hair with henna mask once every 6weeks but it may not suit you if you have light coloured hair.

Internally, it helps your skin, hair and blood, if you take moong sprouts every morning.You can make it at home. If interested, let me know and I could tell you more. An easy thing that you could do, which would give you vitamin E, is soak almonds overnight. De-skin them in the morning and eat them (3 to 7 in number).

If you have to do just one of the things I have mentioned, I would highly recommend the hot olive oil treatment.

Olive oil is very good for skin and hair.

I also use wooden combs.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:54 pm      Reply with quote
Vidisha Lala wrote:
... Internally, it helps your skin, hair and blood, if you take moong sprouts every morning.You can make it at home. If interested, let me know and I could tell you more. An easy thing that you could do, which would give you vitamin E, is soak almonds overnight. De-skin them in the morning and eat them (3 to 7 in number). ... I also use wooden combs.

Hi, Vidisha! Yes, please do tell us all about the moong sprouts. I've never heard of them before! Smile

Also, what type of wooden combs to you use? Where do you buy them? Thanks in advance! Very Happy
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:26 am      Reply with quote
Thanks VL. Yes, please tell us more about the moong sprouts and comb. I'll do the olive oil tonight. Thank you so much.
carmenlu
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:43 am      Reply with quote
Viviscal Woman Hair Supplement
I read about this hair supplement in the Vogue magazine a while ago. Apparently, many models are taking it to grow hair faster. I can't tell you if it works since I haven't tried it. You may want to look into it though.
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:13 am      Reply with quote
I have long, super fine, thin, chemically treated hair.

Have had a slight bald spot for years so I'm recently trying Rogaine.

Because my hair is so thin (sparse) I'm also using a few things to prevent more hair loss.

1. PhytoCayne. Ampoules from Phyto. (1 after shampooing - about 3x week).
2. AminiExil. Ampoules from Kerastase. (2x day. I really haven't kept up with this. It's recommended for several weeks - 2x year when many people experience seasonsal shed).
3. Bain Prevention. Hair loss prevention shampoo from Kerastase. I figure this is just a good one to keep year round.

I will admit when I first started using AminiExil and Bain Prevention earlier this year I did notice LESS shed.

I also take Andrew Lessman's Healthy Hair and Nails vitamins (2500mg Biotin). Can't say it's helped my hair but my nails are noticeably better.

For some other info you could visit heralopecia.com. I love it because there are many women there who've done the tests and can compare notes.
VL
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
MermaidGirl & Agent OO-Cat, thank you for both your responses.

Moong dal sprouts - easy enough to do as long as you build it in your daily routine.
Moong dal are the green lentils (with the green skin). Sprouting them is a 2-3 day process. On the 1st night, soak a little handful of the dried green lentils in tepid water. Next morning, wash the soaked lentils once,drain the water and then wrap them in a damp cloth(thin enough for the lentils to get air ..I have used the paper kitchen cloth too). Cover with a bowl to keep the moisture and natural heat in. On the 3rd morning, they are ready to eat (little sprouts would have come out by then). Alternatively, if you want the sprouts longer, then, you can transfer the sprouted moongs to a plate and cover with a bowl and have them on the 4th morning.

They are very good for your whole body.

The wooden combs - i have one from the body shop, bought a couple from japan (soaked in camelia oil). I think any wooden comb would do.

I also comb my hair atleast a 100 strokes before i go to bed, turning my head upside down so that the hair hangs from the root downwards. My scalp feels very alive and relaxed. I use REN shampoo and conditioner.

Olive oil body massage is very good for the skin especially in the winters. I used to do it once a week when I lived in Delhi.

All the best. Worrying about the hair loss might make it worse, so, please try and not worry.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
I had the very same problem with my hair falling out. I tried everything I could think of to help with the problem. I took tons of vitamins, natural foods, drank lots of water, changed all of my hair care products to only organic, bought an ionic hair dryer - I literally spent so much money trying to solve the problem and my hair just kept falling out every day and freakin me out big time.

Just by chance I had a routine blood test and my doctor told me I had anemia. Well, after being on iron supplements for a little while my problem was solved. No more loss of hair. If you go into any medical website and look under anemia you will find that one of the symptoms is "loss of hair." Perhaps it's something to look into. Oh, and iron was one supplement I never bothered to take because I always thought I got enough of it in my diet. I sure was wrong.

Hope this helps.
tetyanak
5% products discount

Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:59 pm      Reply with quote
Hello,
be sure to try iron supplements. I've been anemic for a long time, and my hair was starting to fall out anytime my iron levels went low. My doc suggested taking iron supplements and it definitely helped. If you're experiencing any other symptoms along with your hair loss, like consistant fatigue, drowsiness, etc - be sure to get your health checked
pinky1
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
I've been struggling with hair loss for over a year now. Thyroid hormone tests all seem to be normal, but there seems to be a wide range of levels that are considered "normal". Am slowly going broke keeping myself in 5% minoxydil, and it isn't even helping that much!

I've never had great hair to begin with -- thin, extremely fine, and that kind of "stupid curly" (not really curly enough to amount to much, yet with an uncanny ability to turn into frizz at even a hint of rain) but it's better than nothing.

I think my dermatologist's just about out of ideas on how to help me. His last ditch attempt -- Spironolactone, a medication that is supposed to block the effects of testosterone on the skin and scalp -- was a definite flop.

Any other suggestions before I hie myself off to a wig shop?
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
I have to go back to poofybabypenguin's question: Have you changed anything in your hair care routine?

Also, there was a major news story here (Dallas) last week on haircolor containing PPD. I'll try to find the link and see if I can post it, yet. Allergic reactions can range from breakouts on the scalp to hair loss to trips to the emergency room. Needless to say, I've changed to non-permanent haircolor.
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah, when blood tests always show a "normal" range, I want to say "normal for whom?" Its hard to say if that range is normal for YOU because people so seldom have baselines to compare things to.

One test you guys and gals should get if you're worried about hairloss is a test of the parathyroid. The test is for PTH and Calcium. The thyroid and parathyroid are not connected and do different functions in the body. Few people have even heard of parathyroid glands.

PTH is Parathyroid Hormone and its main purpose is to control calcium in our bodies, that is why a serum Calcium test should be taken at the same time. Because many women (and men) have such problems with osteoporosis, having a healthy parathyroid is very important. Parathyroid problems are not uncommon yet few doctors actually do the test to check if they are functioning.

One of the side effects of a parathyroid problems is hair loss. Go to this site: http://www.parathyroid.com/dr.norman.htm Its for Dr. Norman, the parathyroid expert who is located in Florida. Read through his website - its incredibly educational.

The only reason I know about this is because my Mom has osteoporosis and it was determined she had 3 bad parathyroid glands. They were removed and her osteoporosis and hairloss are improving.
Arielle
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, Here it is. The link is: http://cbs11tv.com/health/local_story_289210915.html At the end of the article is a doctor-recommended brand of haircolor that doesn't contain Paraphenylenediamine (PPD). It's only available at select salons, though. So, it's still going to be temporary haircolor for me.

Have you looked at the MSM thread? It's a thought.
stellamaris
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:26 pm      Reply with quote
Ocha wrote:
Agent OO-CAT wrote:
Thank you all for all the tips and info. I'll look into all of them.

Why not use plastic combs?!

I was told that plastic comb creates static and will damage the tissue of the hair...causing the hair to be broken more easily.

Plastic combs also have little rough ridges on the side where they are molded, look at your plastic comb and you will see. Those ridges scratch and snag your hair, damaging it and eventually causing it to weaken and break. Try a horn comb, they are very good for your hair.

http://www.horncombs.com/combs.htm
hugaio
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:30 pm      Reply with quote
Yen wrote:
Try Triaxon. If you're in Canada, you can get it at the Shopping Channel (only product with a 6 month money back guarantee). www.tsc.ca

I've been losing hair too. Sad I've been waiting for a good Triaxon showstopper.

How much is it?
stellamaris
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:40 pm      Reply with quote
Yen wrote:
Try Triaxon. If you're in Canada, you can get it at the Shopping Channel (only product with a 6 month money back guarantee). www.tsc.ca

I've been losing hair too. Sad I've been waiting for a good Triaxon showstopper.

I see from your signature that you are in Toronto, if I were lucky enough to be there I would run to Louise Marie Longhairs... I would love to have her work on my hair!!!
amaska
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:54 am      Reply with quote
I've ordered the Zenbiotics shampoo + conditioner. According to their website, the shampoo will reduce hair loss by 20% or more after 3 weeks of continual usage.. Sounds promising!

Ingredients: Purified water, vegetable glycerin, aloe Vera, castor oil, rosemary, rose, organic calomine, bee pollen, almond oil, sassafras, horsetail, olive oil, alfalfa, flax oil, kelp, watercress, sea weed, and walnut oil.

They also have a product called the Activex Hair Growth. Ingredients for this is not posted on their website.
http://www.zenbiotic.com/activex.htm

I'm not trying to promote their products, but I'm currently using their skincare line and I like it, so I'm going to give their shampoo/conditioner a chance as well....

Will keep you all posted on how it goes....

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
Agent OO-CAT wrote:
Does anybody have the link to either Carekate or Molly's hair serums?
I’d like to take credit, but it was actually AriesExtreme that provided us with the DIY hair loss hints, here’s a direct link to her post: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5981&start=512

The one supplement I haven’t already seen mentioned is Biotin. Silica (aka “Horsetail Extract”), MSM and Biotin are needed for healthy hair/skin/nails and the supplement should contain at least 1000 mg of Biotin per day to be effective. I am personally taking a supplement I bought at Walmart called “One Source - Complete - Hair, Skin & Nails” which contains all three supplements. It comes in a purple box with pink and one lettering/graphics and you’ll find it in the Vitamin aisle, in the section devoted to “Women’s Health” and you get 60 capsules for around seven bucks. I don’t have problems with hair loss – indeed, I’ve got TOO MUCH hair, if such a thing is possible! – but since I’ve been taking these supplements my natural hair growth has increased for 1-inch per month to 1 ½-inches per month.

I agree with the previous suggestion that circulation problems could be to blame, or exacerbating the problem. I would suggest that you make yourself some rosemary oil and use at as a treatment at least once per week and MASSAGE it into your scalp for at least 15 minutes to stimulate circulation.

To make rosemary, combine 1/2 cup of jojoba oil plus 1/2 cup of extra virgin coconut oil (you’ll need to melt the latter because it is a semi-solid oil) in a clear glass jar or bottle. Add ½ cup of rosemary leaves then put lid on jar and fasten tightly. Place jar in a sunny window for a week to allow the rosemary to infuse the oil with it’s benefits. If you want to supercharge the rosemary oil so it’s even more effective at stimulating hair growth, you might want to add some sea kelp bioferment extract and peppermint essential oil....

As always, if you don’t want to go to the bother of whipping up the rosemary oil yourself, I’ll be happy to make a batch up and ship it to you so PM me for details. I can also put together any of the recipe suggestions from AriesExtreme for you as well, as I already have most of the ingredients in my “lab.”

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:18 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the info Carekate. There's also mention of a "protein serum" for hair. The only thing I saw was a mix of oils before applying hair color, which couldn't be the protein serum, right??? hmm

I've mixed rosemary EO to my shampoo (I went with Ojon on Candy's raves)and putting various oils (jojoba, olive, avocado). The plastic comb went but now I am comb-less... I'm looking into the other supplements and health foods that other forum members mentioned.

Thank you all again for your tremendous help and support.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:31 pm      Reply with quote
One other thing, also pertaining to circulation to your scalp: you remember that old adage that you probably heard from your mom/grandmom about how you should always brush your hair 100 strokes every night? That’s actually not bad advice because it helps stimulate the circulation. In addition, it breaks up the hairs’ natural oils on the scalp and distributes them along the hair shaft from roots to tip to add shine and luster (although that’s not your immediate concern!).

Anyway, I also 2nd the previous recommendation about getting a good, natural boar’s hair bristled brush. While the Mason Pearson (or is it Pearson Mason? I always get that mixed up!) is considered the “Rolls Royce” of hair brushes, it has a pretty steep pricetag (over $100USD) for some people to be able to afford. As luck would have it, you can get a MP “clone” brush at Sallys Beauty for about twenty bucks! I'll see if I can find a link to these brushes on the Sally website for you tomorrow.

These brushes are identical in every way to the real thing, they just don’t cost the earth so I would seriously suggest that you invest in one of these brushes (either the real thing or the ‘reasonable facsimile’). Then, as granny said, brush your hair 100 strokes every night.

On the nights when you’re doing the rosemary oil, brush your hair first to get the blood moving in your scalp and then apply the rosemary oil and massage it in for 15 minutes – if you can get DH or one of your kid’s to massage it for you, even better because a scalp massage FEELS DIVINE! Unfortunately, one’s own arms can get MIGHTY TIRED rubbing one’s head for that long....

Agent Cat - I’m heading home for the day but I’ll get back to you first thing in the morning regarding the super-charged rosemary oil CP request and other stuff.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you all so much for your responses -- I am impressed at the wealth of knowledge you've shared with me. Will definitely check out the many ideas so kindly offered.

I'd been feeling like I was at a dead end with this problem because the more common medical solutions proved ineffective, and was pretty well ready to give up. Thanks for showing me that there is still lots to investigate and try. Wink
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:21 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
... Anyway, I also 2nd the previous recommendation about getting a good, natural boar’s hair bristled brush. While the Mason Pearson (or is it Pearson Mason? I always get that mixed up!) is considered the “Rolls Royce” of hair brushes, it has a pretty steep pricetag (over $100USD) for some people to be able to afford. As luck would have it, you can get a MP “clone” brush at Sallys Beauty for about twenty bucks! I'll see if I can find a link to these brushes on the Sally website for you tomorrow.

Its Mason Pearson. The only reason I know that is because I've been coveting one of their brushes for years now, but always thought they were too pricey. However, now that I've spent $160 + shipping on my eyelashes for JM, I'll have to rethink purchasing a MP brush. They'll last forever, and a tube of JM won't! Another amazing brush is Kent, also from England. Kent has a broader range than MP, have been making brushes since 1777 (!), they actually have the Royal warrant and have made brushes through 9 different reigns! Even with the Queen's endorsement I think Kent brushes aren't as pricey as MP brushes.

Would love to see the link to the MP "clones" from Sally!

carekate wrote:
... Agent Cat - I’m heading home for the day but I’ll get back to you first thing in the morning regarding the super-charged rosemary oil CP request and other stuff.

Oh, dear ... I may just have to place an order myself! You do take PayPal, don't you? Laughing
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:28 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |