Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Rave: homemade “Pearl Paste” + Hpjrt's Recipes
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » DIY and Home-based Company Skincare Product Reviews
Reply to topic
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
Hi again Angyl,

The one I use is Desert Flower ... [I think? Something like that anyway ...]

It's probably organic ... although I'm not sure that's as important as its being "cold pressed" ... you basically want the stuff that's just the inside of the aloe plant fronds ... with a little citric acid as a preservative. I keep mine in the fridge.

I'm sure that if you wanted to use the drug store type it would change the consistency and you'd want to add it after you'd dissolved the pearl powder in distilled water.

The recipe you have sounds OK. The beeswax is the emulsifier, binding the distilled water to the oil. I don't like beeswax for creams/lotions because my skin doesn't seem to like emulsifiers of any sort. Laughing

I've found that once the pearl powder is mixed well with the water no other emulsifier is necesary. The oil seems to incorporate very well without any emulsifier. Very Happy

Good luck

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:52 am      Reply with quote
Angyl wrote:
Oh! Maybe that's it! I'm using Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera, which says it's 100%, but i notice has chemicals in it.

Should I be using an organic kind from the health food store? Like Aubrey?

I'm not sure what is up with the mealy one. It's more that the paste feels grainy, like the pearl powder hasn't really dissolved, but I think that's a result of the "pearl rock" situation I had earlier.

This is the other lotion I was talking about. It's out of a Janice Cox book.
1/2 teas. borax or baking soda
1/4 cup distilled water
1/2 cup avocado oil
1/2 tbsp beeswax

I'd prob. halve that, but it seems like it would be fantastic, as long as I can get hte peral powder ot behave!

I just about had a heart attack when I read that recipe!!! My alarm stems from the fact that it includes baking soda. I’m going to get back on my soapbox for this one:

CareKate previously wrote:
The Hidden Evils of Baking Soda

Okay, the time has come for Dr. CareKate to assume her schoolmarm expression and step up to her lectern to give a stern lecture to all of her DIY fans and disciples:

It has come to my attention that many DIYers looking for an inexpensive/homemade exfoliant for the face have latched upon the idea of using baking soda to exfoliate one’s face, as an alternative to using an aspirin mask or something similar.

As you can tell from this notepad, I am an avid DIYer myself and am, therefore, always open to new ideas and recipes, but I have to say that the thought of anyone using baking soda on their face absolutely scares the bejesus out of me.

Lest you all think that I am making much ado about nothing, let me say that my own mother received the same misguided advice from a well-meaning “modeling teacher” back in the 1950s who instructed all of her pupils to cleanse their faces with a mixture of “salt and soda.” My mother often parroted this same advice to me when growing up but I am thankful that this was one occasion when I was quite right in ignoring my dear old mom’s words. Now, let me tell you why:

My mom is in her late 60s, and was quite a sun-worshipper back when we lived in SoCal in the mid-1970s. Today, my mother’s skin is not in very good shape. I know the lion’s share of the damage is a result of all that indiscriminate sunbathing back then, but I believe part of it can also be attributed to her faithful adherence to that faulty advice from that modeling instructor who exhorted the wonders of cleansing one’s face with baking soda.

Why am I so certain that it was so detrimental to her skin’s health? Because baking soda is extremely alkaline, and as such, when applied to one’s skin – especially the delicate skin on one’s face – it completely and utterly destroys the natural acid mantle of one’s skin.

Big deal, you say?! This acid mantle helps to maintain the delicate PH-balance of the skin. When this acid mantle has been disturbed or removed, it raises the risk of bacteria and infection getting into the flesh that you inadvertently rubbed raw by cleansing/exfoliating your face with baking soda!!

For those of you that HAVE used baking soda on your face in the past, you will recall that your skin smartly stung afterwards. Now, some of you might have dismissed this reaction by simply assuming that you had scrubbed your face too vigorously with the baking soda, but you would be wrong. The reason it stung like the dickens afterwards is because you tore away the protective layer of your skin! Please, please, for the love of your face, if you don't want to take my word about this, do a little research of your own regarding the dangers of using baking soda on your face.

Here is a little excerpt from my *own* research, when I was first seeking validation for my beliefs regarding the dangers of baking soda in skincare. I found this particular statement from a forum devoted to long hair (note: it might have been “The Long Hair Community,” but at this point I no longer remember):

Baking soda's alkalinity is as high as that of haircoloring products although I realize that the amount or application method makes if more or less harsh depending on how baking soda is used.

I say, leave the baking soda for household cleaning. I apologize if I sound put off by the baking soda on hair thing, it's just that there are so many wonderful cosmetics out there, ones that smell lovely and are pleasant to use, that I have difficulty understanding how something like baking soda could appeal to anyone for use in their haircare routine.

Here is a link for the pH of BSoda (I think it's the same one I posted yesterday in the vinegar thread): http://www.kernsite.com/uwp/modules/pH/pH.htm)

The first sentence is the one that gets me: baking soda is as alkaline as hair dye? I don’t know about the rest of you ladies, but I sure as hell wouldn’t knowingly apply any product that strong to my face!!!

So use that box of baking soda to kill the odors in your cat’s litterbox or keep your refrigerator/freezer smelling fresh and/or to dissolve the gunk in pipes of your kitchen sink, but – FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY – please don’t use it anywhere near your skin!!

Hmmm, I wonder if I should seize this opportunity to also cluck over the dangers of St. Ive’s Apricot Scrub?! That stuff should come with a warning label and everyone who suffered microscopic tears to the skin on their faces (like me, when I was a wee young pollywag and didn’t know any better) should ban together in a class-lawsuit and sue those Swiss for every last watch, cuckoo clock and bit of chocolate in their entire country!! Wink

Seriously, though: avoid apricot scrubs the same way as you should baking soda when it comes to caring for your precious, beautiful faces. Please.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:55 am      Reply with quote
P.S.
Angyl wrote:
I'm not sure what is up with the mealy one. It's more that the paste feels grainy, like the pearl powder hasn't really dissolved, but I think that's a result of the "pearl rock" situation I had earlier.
I had the same problem with my first batch of Pearl Paste (i.e.: pearl "rocks" resulted in grainy-feeling paste) -- which was a result of hand-mixing and not including enough "liquid." My 2nd batch didn't have this problem is a used plenty of liquid and used a cake mixer to blend everything together from the start....

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:31 am      Reply with quote
It was YOU that I was thinnking of. I knew there was something about that recipe that seemed off. But it loks like they dissolve the baking soda. And what about borax? I've seen it used in a lot of recipes. ANy idea what that is for or how I can replace either with something safer?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:36 am      Reply with quote
I'm going to jump in on the "what is borax" question (no, its not the star of that new movie!) ... but when I moved in to my first apartment, a friend of mine suggested sprinkling borax powder under the kitchen sink to prevent cockroaches from moving in (I guess a lot of high-density housing buildings have roaches - ewwww!).

So, its good to use against bugs!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:38 am      Reply with quote
Click here to read about the use of Borax for cosmetic purposes: http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/learn/borax_powder.php

In addition to getting rid of bugs (works great to discourage "sugar ants" in the kitchen, too!), my great-grandmother used a borax+water solution to treat kittens/puppies with eye infections (you know, the "goopy," running eyes)....

I'd feel better using borax in that recipe than baking soda.

BTW, you can find borax in the laundry detergent aisle at the grocery store (it's a detergent "booster").

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:44 am      Reply with quote
ha. I used borax to rid my kitty of a bad attack of fleas a few months ago.

I'll remember to use that instead of baking soda. My guess is in that recipe she uses it as a preservative?

You're fantastic Carrie. Thanks.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
Angyl wrote:
ha. I used borax to rid my kitty of a bad attack of fleas a few months ago.
Please share! How'd you manage this, what'd you do?

I've got 8 housecats (and anywhere from 5-20 feral/outside cats at any given time) so I'm always on the lookout for "natural" flea control (because you can't use any essential blends on cats for flea control like you can on dogs)....

TIA!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
It's a bit of a tiring approach, but i was really afraid of the chemicals in other flea killers.

You put borax pretty much everywhere, especially in the carpet, where fleas like to hide. Leave it there for a few days to a week and vacuum it up. Supposedly the fleas eat the borax and then die becuase it sucks up all the moisture. I did it every three days or so and within a month or so, the fleas were gone. I had to be diligent about the flea comb and kitty as well. I made sure to put in between my mattess and boxspring, and on the couch where my cat likes to hang out. Works like a charm!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
Angyl wrote:
Supposedly the fleas eat the borax and then die becuase it sucks up all the moisture.

that's pretty much how it works on the cockroaches too, one of the few ways to really kill them. even if you decapitate them, they can still run around for days (headless) until they finally die of dehydration.
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
la vie en rose wrote:
Angyl wrote:
Supposedly the fleas eat the borax and then die becuase it sucks up all the moisture.

that's pretty much how it works on the cockroaches too, one of the few ways to really kill them. even if you decapitate them, they can still run around for days (headless) until they finally die of dehydration.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little! That is the stuff of nightmares! Mad *shivers*
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:28 pm      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
...because you can't use any essential blends on cats for flea control like you can on dogs)....
Grrr, that's essential OIL blends (that can't be used on cats).

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
MermaidGirl wrote:
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little! That is the stuff of nightmares! Mad *shivers*

cool!!! that's exactly the reaction i was looking for back when i actually used that fact to gross kids out with on an allergy/asthma education site i worked on. had to make guillotine to spec and was mighty proud of it. to soften the blow, though, the cockroach was kind of cute (i kept it's eyes blinking whilst the body was running around the page). sick, i know.... of all the facts i learned -- that one stuck with me. the critters died of thirst after a week cause they didn't have their little mouthies anymore....
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:07 pm      Reply with quote
la vie en rose wrote:
MermaidGirl wrote:

cool!!! that's exactly the reaction i was looking for back when i actually used that fact to gross kids out with on an allergy/asthma education site i worked on. had to make guillotine to spec and was mighty proud of it. to soften the blow, though, the cockroach was kind of cute (i kept it's eyes blinking whilst the body was running around the page). sick, i know.... of all the facts i learned -- that one stuck with me. the critters died of thirst after a week cause they didn't have their little mouthies anymore....

Wow, la vie ... the site sounds cool, though I think it would've been cute to have giant red "X"s for the eyes! I know, I'm a bit sick! I do think it was nice of you for trying not to traumatize the little kiddies!

Jeez, no wonder that fact stuck with you! *shivers again!* Ack!
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
You don't need Borax to kill fleas ... ordinary table salt will do! Laughing

A friend gave me this recipe and I kept it on file because ... well ... I have a lot of dogs [we're down to 14 at the moment] ... but while I've never had to use it personally [we have ceramic tile rather than carpets ... and that helps] ... I've provided it to a lot of people who swear by it. Very Happy

Here's the salt flea control method. This is actually kind of fun, very easy, and has worked for me in three different apartments. One treatment has always been enough, but maybe for people in subtropical and tropical areas you might have to do it every year.

Put all animals in crates or carriers. Tell all friends you'll be out of town, don't come over.

Take a container of ordinary table salt, Morton's 26 oz. is fine, and run gleefully around
sprinkling and spreading it liberally on everything: floors, rugs, under beds and other furniture, on all upholstery, soft chairs, under sofa pillows, everywhere a flea larva could be. (This will cost about fifty cents per room or less.) Then rub it in to everything (except maybe the black leather sofa!) Just let it sit on any surfaces you can't rub it into.

Leave it overnight, then vacuum it up the next day. You don't have to do all your rooms on the same day. Fleas will get the idea.

Hope this helps someone!

Mary

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
what happens when fleas eat salt?

I'm glad i moved, b/c there's much fewer fleas in CA than in the Midwest, and I'm probably the one to blame for hte flea outbreak, what with my tromping around in the great outdoors.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:51 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
what happens when fleas eat salt?

Um ... I don't know ... Laughing Frankly ... I don't care either! Laughing

Since I've never personally had to use this remedy ... I don't know ... but it could be that it's drying ... or it could just drive the little blighters out into the great outdoors! Very Happy

It never occurred to me to wonder before. Perhaps it just kills them?

Mary

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:47 am      Reply with quote
Can I just add pearl powder in Emu oil? I just want to use it together as moisturizer. How much powder I should put in for a 1 oz bottle?

Thanks
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:15 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Suk Han,

It wouldn't work.

The Pearl Powder that I use would not dissolve in Emu Oil.

The Pearl Powder needs water to dissolve ... so it wouldn't work. HOWEVER if you made the Pearl Paste you could then add a small amount of Emu Oil to it and it would blend.

However adding Pearl Powder to the Emu Oil would give you gritting Emu Oil.

Sorry

Mary

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Mary!

Would you please tell me the receipe to make totally 1 oz bottle with the powder dilute in water then add in emu oil. How much emu oil I should add in. Should I just use distill water?

Thanks
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Suk Han,

The following recipe should make about an ounce ...

1 tbls + 2 tsp boiled distilled water
1 tbls + 2 tsp aloe vera gel [food grade ... found in Health Food stores]
2.5 tsp pearl powder
2 capsules Vitamin E
30 drops HA
1/4 tsp PG
1/4 tsp alcohol [preservative]

Mix the distilled water and aloe vera gel.

Add the pearl powder and using an electric mixer or blender, mix until all the pearl powder is dissolved.

Add the Vitamin E, and HA and PG [if using]

Add the alcohol.

Mix this well ... and decant into a jar [preferrably an amber glass jar] ... and let it sit.

Once it's thickened [this will just take time] add, drop by drop, the emu oil [or any other oil you want to use] and mix well. [5-8 drops is what I use of Rose Hip Seed Oil]

If you want it more moisturizing, add more Emu oil ...

That should work.

Good luck

Mary

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
Mary,
Thank you! I will let you know the result after I make the Pearl Powder paste moisturizer. But I need time to gather the ingredient.

Thanks again. Smile
LaLa
5% products discount

Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
I won't put baking soda on my face. I use baking soda plus distilled vinegar to clean my toilet bowls. That is so effective and much less toxic, save you money on buying those toilet bowl cleanser.
jzainoun
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
a link...

http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/pearl-skin-care.htm
jzainoun
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:03 pm      Reply with quote
http://www.thejamushop.com/Beauty_pearl.htm

Here, they suggest mixing the pearl in oil...? Confused
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:06 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |