Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

*~~~~~~~DIY skincare recipe & discussion thread~~~~~~~~*
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:38 pm      Reply with quote
I need help too! I am trying to determine what preservatives to use in my (newbie) DIY efforts and this site has quite a few: http://www.newdirections.com.au/shop/search.php?k=preservative&s.x=0&s.y=0

I have read the mix news on germanen and parabens, so I would like to skip that is possible. I am currently planning to add it to CareKate's Lash Gloss (since I forgot to order it from her). Could anyone recommend me a preservative to use?

TIA!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:29 am      Reply with quote
cuppre wrote:
I need help too! I am trying to determine what preservatives to use in my (newbie) DIY efforts and this site has quite a few: http://www.newdirections.com.au/shop/search.php?k=preservative&s.x=0&s.y=0

I have read the mix news on germanen and parabens, so I would like to skip that is possible. I am currently planning to add it to CareKate's Lash Gloss (since I forgot to order it from her). Could anyone recommend me a preservative to use?

TIA!
Somewhere earlier in this thread, someone posted a good alternative to use instead of Germaben, but I don't remember the name (and don't have time to spare to go hunt it down)...if anyone can track it down, I'd love to know what it's called too because I'm not overly fond of Germaben and I want to stay away from parabens, as well....

BTW, Cuppre, for the lash gloss, you could use something really simple like Grapefruit Seed Extract as a preservative since it is such a simple formulation and you're only making it for your own use.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:27 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for the suggestion CareKate!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:53 am      Reply with quote
I wanted to create a separate version of my Rosemary Hair Growth Accelerator Oil that AgentOOCat and Rjez have been using lately for those of us who don't have thinning hair or hair loss issues to deal with, but which still provides the same sort of nourishment and moisturization to help keep our hair and scalps healthy.

To minimize the mess of traditional "hot oil treatments," I wanted to create a treatment that had more of a solid or semi-solid texture to it (think Ojon Hair Treatment) so I elected to use more carrier oils/butters with a more solid consistency, however if you prefer you can use carrier oils that are more liquid in texture for a treatment with a thinner consistency.

I made this in one of those quart, glass Mason jars with a lid so I could create a huge batch of it so I'd have enough to give out as samples or offer for sale so you'll need to cut the recipe in half (or more!) to make individual servings...Note: we're not baking a cake here, so the measurements don't have to be exactly exact -- they're just a ball-park amount to shoot for!

With that in mind, I give you:

CareKate's Rosemary Healthy Hair & Scalp Balm

What you need:
-------------------------------------------
. 1 quart-sized Mason jar with lid (or similar, microwave-safe container);
. 1/2 cup Coconut oil;
. 1/3 cup Cocoa butter;
. 1/4 cup Shea Butter;
. 1/4 cup Aloe Vera Butter (may substitute 2 Tbs of Aloe Vera Oil Extract instead);
. 1/4 cup Avocado Butter (may substitute avocado oil instead);
. 1/4 Macademia Butter (may substitute Macademia Nut Oil instead);
. 1/4 Olive Oil Butter (may substitute 2 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil instead);
. 2 Tbs Mango butter;
. 2 Tbs Kokum Butter;
. 2 Tbs Illipe Butter;
. 1 Tbs Hemp Seed Butter;
. 2 Tbs Virgin de Cocoa Oil;
. 1/3 cup Rosemary-infused Jojoba oil;
. 1 Tbs Babassu oil;
. 1 Tbs Meadowfoam oil;
. 1 Tbs Rosehip oil;
. 1 Tbs Wheat Germ oil;
. 1 1/2 Tbs Germaben II or similar preservative ingredient;
. 1 1/2 Tbs Lecithin;
. 1/4 cup Honey;
. 1 1/2 Tbs Cetyl Alcohol, optional;
. 1 Tbs Panthenol, optional -- do NOT microwave;
. 1/2 tsp Hydrolized Soy Protein, optional -- do NOT microwave;
. 1/2 tsp Hydrolized Keratin, optional -- do NOT microwave;
. 1/2 tsp Hydrolized Wheat Protein, optional -- do NOT microwave;
. 1/2 tsp Marine sea-kelp extract, optional -- do NOT microwave;
. 1 1/2 tsp Grape Seed Proanthocyanidins, optional -- do NOT microwave;
. 50 drops Rosemary essential oil -- do NOT microwave
. 30-50 drops Peppermint essential oil (depending upon how "tingly" and invigorating you want it to feel!) -- do NOT microwave

What to do:
Combine all ingredients, except those specifically noted, in the microwave-safe jar and nuke on medium-to-low heat in 1 minute intervals until all butters/oils have become soft and semi-liquid-y enough to be easily stirrable. You don't want to get the oils so hot that they are boiling, just enough so that you can easy mix them together with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula!

After you've (semi-)melted the other oils/butters together, remove jar from microwave and stir in remaining ingredients, ensuring everything mixes and disperses evenly. Place the lid on the jar and allow mixture to set (you may put it in the freezer for a few minutes to "flash freeze," if you're impatient like me and can't wait for the mixture to completely cool before trying it out!!)

Note: use care when getting the jar in and out of the microwave because it's going to get extremely hot ("no duh, CareKate!" Shut up, y'all -- I burned the hell out of my thumb last night!! Embarassed ).

How to use it:
Once per week, apply Balm to freshly washed, towel-dried hair (may apply to dry hair, so long as it is completely clean and free of product!) and massage into scalp for at least 15 minutes, working oils through to the ends of your hair. Leave balm on for at least 15 minutes or as long as overnight (if desired, sleep in a plastic shower-cap to protect your pillow-case), then shampoo it out and condition as usual.

Apply balm a little bit of at a time (i.e.: start with a tablespoon of balm in the palm of your hand then work it onto your scalp then another tablespoon and another tablespoon until you've covered your entire scalp thoroughly and worked excess oil through to the ends of your hair.

Because I am the impatient sort, I immediately HAD to try this out last night before bed so I applied to freshly shampooed, towel-dried hair and then got my boyfriend to massage it into my scalp for a few minutes (he didn't last the entire 15 minutes, but it was BLISS while it lasted!) and then I went to bed (personally, I didn't find it oily/greasy-enough to be problematic but this could be because my hair is very short in the first place). I shampooed it out this morning (only had to suds up once to get all the oil out) and then conditioned with my trusty Biolage Conditioning Balm w/ added ACV and honey and then blow-dried without using any styling products and all I can say is "Wow!" My hair hasn't looked this shiny and healthy (without coating it with a shine serum first) since before it lost its virginity (i.e.: I colored it for the first time with that horrible "Sun-In" spray-in hair highlightener that turned my hair ORANGE!). I'm going to be sure to start using this weekly and I'm probably going to use it -- in lieu of my normal pre-color oil treatment -- before I dye my hair the next time....

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:35 am      Reply with quote
oh wow, carekate, that looks really great. I was just planning to make one like it, only I don't have the lecithin and a few of the oils. I've been looking for something like this -- my hair is fried!
rainbowcheng
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:53 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for the suggestion
whitedewy
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:54 pm      Reply with quote
I like DIY, thank you so much!!!
nomoreneckpain
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:10 am      Reply with quote
Carrie, Sounds wonderful.I especially like the BF massage part, could get kinda messy, if you know what I mean, ha ha. Did you get all the butters from TPF or elsewhere? Thanks, Janet.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:18 am      Reply with quote
nomoreneckpain wrote:
Carrie, Sounds wonderful.I especially like the BF massage part, could get kinda messy, if you know what I mean, ha ha. Did you get all the butters from TPF or elsewhere? Thanks, Janet.
Actually, the more "exotic" butters came from Majestic Mountain Sage http://www.thesage.com/catalog/FixedOil.html as well as another source that I am loathe to promote because I'm currently awaiting the delivery of my 2nd order (placed on 11/11/06) and have not received responses to 3 email inquiries about it so I'm not going to give this company a free 'endorsement' (and possibly end up having someone else get screwed) so I'm going to have to find another (reputable!) source for stuff like the kokum and illipe butters.... Confused If you find any place other thanwww.wellnaturally.com (DO NOT ORDER FROM THEM!!!!!!!) to get "exotic" butters/oils, PLMK!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:07 am      Reply with quote
Gawds Carrie your new hair balm sounds divine! I hope the testing for the eye lash serum goes well because I want to order these two and some other things soon.

*tries to sooth the lemmings* Laughing

Mid-20s Asian female (since I am not mature enough to be called a woman Very Happy). Skin is combination with tendency to dryness around the cheeks and prone to blemishes. Naturally coarse black hair Sad. Lastly but most importantly, you need something purchased in Australia I will be happy to CP :.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:05 am      Reply with quote
I posted this SOS in one of the lip balm threads, but thought I should also post it here to see if any of my fellow DIYers can help me out:

I’m desperately trying to find a source from which to purchase those plastic, squeeze tube containers that some lip balms (i.e.: Juice Beauty Lip Plumper, Gatineau Electelle LipCare, Babor B-Young Lip Balm, Carmex lip balm – NOT the twist-up lip balm stick containers!) and lip glosses (i.e.: Lancome “Juicy Tubes,” L’oreal “Colour Juice”) are packaged in. MermaidGirl was able to find me a single website that sells them, but I want to see if there are any more companies out there because MG’s source only sells them in person and they’re located in Southern Calif, and I can’t afford a plane ticket to L.A. at the moment!!

Does anyone know of an online source that sells these squeezy tubes? I can find literally DOZENS of sources from which to order lip balm pots or lip balm twist-up stick tubes, but nobody that has the other kind. I already use lip balm pots to package my homemade lip products, but some have asked for more “sanitary” solutions because they dislike sticking their finger in the pot each time to apply the lip balm but I REFUSE to use the twist-up stick tubes because it would mean that I’d have to change my (winning, it seems!) lip balm formulation to add more wax to it (and thus ruin the texture and everything that makes it “special”) in order for my lip balms to adhere to the “stick format” (which is why there are significant differences in the moisturizing abilities of Dr. Hauschka’s Lip Balm in the pot vs. the same lip balm in the stick formula).

Unfortunately, I’m still laboring under the severe computer/internet access time constraints (i.e.: only 30 minutes per day from work, M-F) which is hampering my ability to perform an exhaustive search to locate a source that sells these containers.

To that end, I am hereby offering a “reward” of one free, full-size CareKate “Lush Lips” product of your choice to the first person that can help me find a website that sells these (empty/new, obviously!) lip balm squeeze-y tube containers. If you find any sources, please PM me the details and claim your prize.

To help you understand exactly what I’m searching for, here’s the pic that MermaidGirl found of the type of lip product squeeze-tube containers:
MermaidGirl wrote:
Carrie, is THIS what you're looking for?:

The first one looks like the squeezy tube that my C.O. Bigelow Lip Shines come in - you just dispense a bead on the top of the applicator (which is just the angled plastic portion of the container) and smear it on with the top part of the container/tube - BUT this one sort of looks like it might have a sponge tip on it as well? Can't tell for sure.
(Note: I don’t give a flying figleaf if it has a sponge-tipped applicator or not – the important part is the squeezy-tube!!)

TIA,
Carrie

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:26 am      Reply with quote
Hi Carrie,

Directory: http://www.globalsources.com/manufacturers/Cosmetic-Plastic-Packaging.html

Some possible links: http://www.sks-bottle.com/340c/fin109.html

http://glamorous.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008824046109/ProductDetail/Cosmetic-packaging/product_id-1002500305/action-GetProduct.htm

http://topfashn.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6007000510003/Showroom/Cosmetic-packaging/point_id-3000000179052/catalog_id-2000000003844/prod_id-10727/page_num-1.htm

Mid-20s Asian female (since I am not mature enough to be called a woman Very Happy). Skin is combination with tendency to dryness around the cheeks and prone to blemishes. Naturally coarse black hair Sad. Lastly but most importantly, you need something purchased in Australia I will be happy to CP :.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:56 am      Reply with quote
I'm new to the oil on very oily skin treatment but decided to purchase all the ingredients to make the DIY Decleor YY oil [thank you carekate]

1. How do I use this? I checked Decleor website for instructions and it mentions to apply the oil using some kind of technique? What technique? Confused I've been applying 3 drops to my face every morning and evening in place of my moisturizer for the last several days. Is this correct? Has anyone else noticed that their skin is even shinier after using this?

2. I spent more $$ on the ingredients than I would have on a single bottle of this oil from EDS Laughing - Other than using these wonderful rosemary, lavendar, YY and bay oils to mix up after bath body and hair oil, what else can I do with these essential oils? Assuming I'm storing them in a cool dark place, how long will they keep?

Sorry to sound so clueless, but... I am! Rolling Eyes
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:28 am      Reply with quote
athena123 wrote:
1. How do I use this? I checked Decleor website for instructions and it mentions to apply the oil using some kind of technique? What technique? Confused I've been applying 3 drops to my face every morning and evening in place of my moisturizer for the last several days. Is this correct? Has anyone else noticed that their skin is even shinier after using this?
You’re on the right track! Here’s the instructions that I put on my labels when folks buy a bottle of homemade Decleor Y-Y oil from me:

Directions: Cleanse/tone face as usual, apply any treatment serums (if desired). Dispense 2-3 drops of Y-Y Fluid on fingertips then rub together to “emulsify” the oils, then apply lightly over entire face, avoiding eye area. Let penetrate for 3-5 minutes then apply moisturizer/sunscreen/makeup. If desired, you may blot face lightly with a clean tissue to remove excess residue after penetration time has elapsed.

Remember: less is more so do not overapply!

athena123 wrote:
2. I spent more $$ on the ingredients than I would have on a single bottle of this oil from EDS Laughing - Other than using these wonderful rosemary, lavendar, YY and bay oils to mix up after bath body and hair oil, what else can I do with these essential oils? Assuming I'm storing them in a cool dark place, how long will they keep?
Initially, you spent more on the oils, but you’ll be able to get the equivilent of a few dozen bottles of Decleor Y-Y oil out of those ingredients! With the exception of the Kukui oil (you’ll need to replace it after a year, in the meantime keep it tightly closed and stored in the fridge), the EOs will last indefinitely so long as keep the lids tightly closed and store them in a cool, dry place.

Other than making various DIY bath/body/hair products with the ingredients, essential oils are also used for aromatherapy and alternative healing. Lavender EO can be used as an all-purpose first aid product for cuts, burns, scrapes, scratches, bug bites, minor rashes – apply it directly to the wound in lieu of “Bactine” or “Neosporin” (note: Lavender can safely be applied directly to the skin WITHOUT diluting in a carrier oil), I swear you’ll be amazed at how quickly the “boo-boo” heals and the pain subsides!

Research the other EOs to find out how each one is used to heal mind, body and spirit. If nothing else, you can use them to make a homemade potpouri fragrance oil or scented candles!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:50 am      Reply with quote
Carekate, thanks for a quick reply and letting me know I be on the right track!

Yep, I discovered the wonders of lavendar oil just didn't know what to do with the rest! Smile

I had a couple of awful cysts around my nose last month - that hasn't happened in years. I think it was caused by EM's cornstarch finishing dust[switching to silk]. After draining it as gently as possible was left with horrible red marks. Been adding a couple drops of lavendar oil twice a day and the REDNESS IS ACTUALLY FADING!

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
elorend

Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:33 pm      Reply with quote
HI there... I'm new to this site and love it already. I keep seeing something about an aspirin mask? can anyone share?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:00 am      Reply with quote
Hi there elorend and welcome to eds....

If you look at the top of the forum, there's a semi complete index of diy recipes. You'll find the recipe with variations of the aspirin mask that alot of board users rave about...

Here's the link to the original one to get you started:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5981&start=33
rgw0125w
5% products discount

Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:21 am      Reply with quote
Carrie, let me know where in S. California your vendor for lip tubes are. I have alot of friends/family throughout and if you still can not find another supplier its possible depending on location i can get someone to pick them up and send them to you.
pbsadhaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:55 am      Reply with quote
Carrie,
I have the vendor of that squeeze tube for you. Please PM me for the details. The only drawback (possibly, depending on how much you want to invest), is that you must by a sealing machine to crimp the tubes shut. These run several thousand dollars, but are the only way to seal tubes such as these.
-Darren
Smile
carekate wrote:
I posted this SOS in one of the lip balm threads, but thought I should also post it here to see if any of my fellow DIYers can help me out:

I’m desperately trying to find a source from which to purchase those plastic, squeeze tube containers that some lip balms (i.e.: Juice Beauty Lip Plumper, Gatineau Electelle LipCare, Babor B-Young Lip Balm, Carmex lip balm – NOT the twist-up lip balm stick containers!) and lip glosses (i.e.: Lancome “Juicy Tubes,” L’oreal “Colour Juice”) are packaged in. MermaidGirl was able to find me a single website that sells them, but I want to see if there are any more companies out there because MG’s source only sells them in person and they’re located in Southern Calif, and I can’t afford a plane ticket to L.A. at the moment!!

Does anyone know of an online source that sells these squeezy tubes? I can find literally DOZENS of sources from which to order lip balm pots or lip balm twist-up stick tubes, but nobody that has the other kind. I already use lip balm pots to package my homemade lip products, but some have asked for more “sanitary” solutions because they dislike sticking their finger in the pot each time to apply the lip balm but I REFUSE to use the twist-up stick tubes because it would mean that I’d have to change my (winning, it seems!) lip balm formulation to add more wax to it (and thus ruin the texture and everything that makes it “special”) in order for my lip balms to adhere to the “stick format” (which is why there are significant differences in the moisturizing abilities of Dr. Hauschka’s Lip Balm in the pot vs. the same lip balm in the stick formula).

Unfortunately, I’m still laboring under the severe computer/internet access time constraints (i.e.: only 30 minutes per day from work, M-F) which is hampering my ability to perform an exhaustive search to locate a source that sells these containers.

To that end, I am hereby offering a “reward” of one free, full-size CareKate “Lush Lips” product of your choice to the first person that can help me find a website that sells these (empty/new, obviously!) lip balm squeeze-y tube containers. If you find any sources, please PM me the details and claim your prize.

To help you understand exactly what I’m searching for, here’s the pic that MermaidGirl found of the type of lip product squeeze-tube containers:
MermaidGirl wrote:
Carrie, is THIS what you're looking for?:

The first one looks like the squeezy tube that my C.O. Bigelow Lip Shines come in - you just dispense a bead on the top of the applicator (which is just the angled plastic portion of the container) and smear it on with the top part of the container/tube - BUT this one sort of looks like it might have a sponge tip on it as well? Can't tell for sure.
(Note: I don’t give a flying figleaf if it has a sponge-tipped applicator or not – the important part is the squeezy-tube!!)

TIA,
Carrie

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:16 am      Reply with quote
Clarifying Cleansing Oil

This cleansing oil contains antiseptic essential oils to eliminate blackheads. The vegetal oil base is perfect for removing oil-based makeup.

1½ ounces apricot kernel oil
10 drops rosemary (Rosemarinus officinalis) essential oil
6 drops lavender (Lavandula vera) essential oil
4 drops cypress (Cupressus sempervirens) essential oil
½ ounce jojoba oil

2-oune glass bottle

Fill bottle with apricot kernel oil. Add essential oils, close bottle, and roll between hands to disperse oils. Top off with jojoba oil. Close bottle and agitate a second time.

Rinse face with warm water. Apply a small amount of cleansing oil to pads of fingers or cotton pad and wipe over the face and throat area, gently loosening any makeup or grime. Rinse off with cool water.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
I simply apply a thick layer Aloe Vera and Seaweed Gel after cleansing, and then put on a mask with lavender water

this helps to brighten the acne scar

also, if i use rose water, it helps hydrating~~~
steffers
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:31 am      Reply with quote
Hi diy'ers,
Here's a question for you about lyscorbic acid. I've done several searches, but can't seem to find the answer. I'm making carekate's vit c serum, and I'm not sure i've done it correctly. I've PM'ed her, but i know her internet access is limited and she probably gets flooded with msg's, so thought I'd ask all you gals too. Very Happy

First, of smaller concern is that I think the bottles i'm using (although still small) are bigger than what is intended for the recipe, and I've had to triple the amounts, which is making me nervous as i hope i'm not botching the recipe in the process.

My bigger problem is that I'm finding that the lyscorbic acid crystals are not dissolving, even after vigorous shaking and letting it sit, again and again. Also, i'm finding the mixture too liquid-y. I used PG instead of glycerin.

EEEkkk....this was part of my xmas present to my mum and best girlfriend. I hope i haven't ruined it!
Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!
xo

SKIN: 33,fair.My work env't is skin hell! (flight attend. = dryness&eye circles!) AM: Lavantine Cleansing Oil, squalane, ISOMERS carnosine complex (250x more pow'ful than Idebenone), eye cream varies, JuiceBeauty Antiox Serum, Anthelios SS. PM: Lavantine, squalane, Remergent DNA Repair. Want: Silk Dust
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:55 am      Reply with quote
steffers wrote:
Hi diy'ers,
Here's a question for you about lyscorbic acid. I've done several searches, but can't seem to find the answer. I'm making carekate's vit c serum, and I'm not sure i've done it correctly. I've PM'ed her, but i know her internet access is limited and she probably gets flooded with msg's, so thought I'd ask all you gals too. Very Happy

First, of smaller concern is that I think the bottles i'm using (although still small) are bigger than what is intended for the recipe, and I've had to triple the amounts, which is making me nervous as i hope i'm not botching the recipe in the process.

My bigger problem is that I'm finding that the lyscorbic acid crystals are not dissolving, even after vigorous shaking and letting it sit, again and again. Also, i'm finding the mixture too liquid-y. I used PG instead of glycerin.

EEEkkk....this was part of my xmas present to my mum and best girlfriend. I hope i haven't ruined it!
Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!
xo

Okay, first things first: the serum is supposed to be runny – I mean, it’s basically “water-like” in texture so you haven’t done anything wrong there! I often double- or triple- the recipe when I make it, too, because it’s hard to find 1-oz cobalt/amber glass bottles and when I send someone a 2-oz bottle of serum that is only half-full, it looks like I’m ripping them off Confused so there's nothing wrong with what you're doing there....

Now, for the crystals that won’t dissolve, two things: 1) I’ve learned by trial and error that it’s better to dissolve the crystals in the distilled water first, before adding the PG or glycerin; and 2) I’ve been told by reliable sources (i.e.: people who know more about chemistry than I do!) that it is okay to nuke the water+crystals in the microwave for a couple seconds to heat the water just enough to facilitate the dissolution of the crystals. DON’T BOIL IT!!! You want to get the water just barely hot. Assuming you’ve got about 2 total ounces of liquid in your bottle, nuke it for about 6 seconds on high heat and then take the bottle out, put the lid back on and shake it and check to see if the crystals have dissolved. If not, nuke it again for another 3 seconds and check it again. So long as you don’t end up getting it so hot that the liquid boils, I’m told that this “gentle heating” won’t disturb the efficacy of the Vit-C.

HTH,
Carrie

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:24 am      Reply with quote
Someone – I think it was one of our new members – recently mentioned in a thread that she had made her own facial cleanser for oily skin using biofermented seakelp as a base. Unfortunately, I didn’t make a note which thread this was posted in and now I’ve lost track of it. Sad

Since I’m nearing the bottom of my current bottle of my beloved Jurlique Foaming Cleanser and I just – coincidentally – ordered a huge jar of Bio-SK, I’m VERY INTERESTED in finding a recipe to make my own facial cleanser so I am BESEECHING this member to share with us the formula she used to make her sea-kelp cleanser. Otherwise, I guess I’ll be hitting Dr. CareKate’s lab this weekend and flying by the seat of my pants in order to create a DIY version of the aforementioned Jurlique cleanser....

If ANYONE has a recipe for a homemade cleanser like my Jurlique or Yonka Nettoyant Gel, please share!

TIA,
Carrie

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Carekate - happy holidays! I'm quite excited to try out this aspirin mask and was wondering what you thought about adding some kaolin and white clay to it to amp up the pore declogging properties. How much clay do you think I should add, and should I increase any of the liquids (yogurt/milk, aloe, etc.) to account for the extra powder? Thanks Smile

carekate wrote:
I alluded to this formula in a previous post here last month, but a couple of members have requested the actual recipe in another thread so I figured it would be a good idea to post it in the official DIY thread so that it was there with everything else so here it is, copied verbatim from one of my post's over on MUA:

Okay, I know a lot of you have discovered the wonders of the original aspirin mask, which I happened to learn about when I stumbled across reviews of it over in MUA Productville. Like nearly everyone who has tried it, I was completely astonished by the immediate results I saw and it has been a regular part of my skincare routine since that time. My personal version featured crushed aspirin mixed with a little water and some honey to “bind” it so the flakes wouldn’t rain down from my face while the mask was beginning to dry.

However, I was noticing that even after I used the aspirin mask, I had this stubborn patch of flaky skin near the top of my nose at the inner corner of my eye that for some reason just wasn’t coming off from the exfoliating action of the mask. I went into to research mode – hence the primer above on AHAs and BHAs – and discovered that while salicylic acid (aspirin) penetrates down into pores to de-gunk them, it didn’t really provide much in the way of removing the very top layer of dead cells in the skin’s surface. What I needed was either glycolic or lactic acid, which work to dissolve the “glue” that binds the skin cells together and that’s when inspiration struck!

Why not create a something that combined the benefits of both AHAs and BHAs into one mask or treatment? And – behold – my newest creation was born! If you love what the ordinary aspirin mask does for your skin, this new one will absolutely blow your bloody mind....

Recipe for Dr. Holland’s Super Brightening Super-Sonic Facial Mask

What you’ll need:

• Large bottle of plain/generic, uncoated aspirin
• Clean, empty small jar or other similar container
• Granulated (i.e.: white) or brown sugar
• Lactic Acid Concentrate
• Aloe Vera juice (may substitute plain distilled water, or strongly-brewed green and/or chamomile tea *made* with distilled water)
• Aloe Vera Extract (may substitute Jojoba or any other oil of your choice)
• French Green Clay (optional)
• Honey (optional)

What you do:

• Fill jar with approximately 50 aspirin tablets;
• Add just enough aloe vera juice/water/tea to completely dissolve the aspirin tablets into a smooth powder;
• Stir in two teaspoons of sugar;
• Add one-eighth teaspoon of Lactic Acid Concentrate (available from the Personal Formulator website);
• Stir in one-fourth teaspoon of Aloe Vera Extract or oil and a splash of honey (if desired);
• If desired, gradually add a portion of French Green Clay to mixture. I like to include the clay in my version simply because I have serious oil control issues so I need all the oil-absorbing help I can get!
• Blend all ingredients by stirring thoroughly. If necessary, drizzle in a bit more oil or other liquid until your mask has reached your desired consistency.

Note: the above-recipe yields approximately enough mask for a one month supply, however you *can* make a ‘single-serving’ size of the mask fresh each day by doing the following:

Use only 2-3 aspirin, a pinch of sugar, a couple of drops of *whole milk* (this replaces the lactic acid concentrate above) in which to dissolve the aspirin, and one drop each of aloe vera extract or oil and honey. Mix it altogether in a small dish or the palm of your hand.

How you do it:

• Two to three times per week, apply thin layer of mask to entire face and neck, avoiding the eye contour area.
• Leave mask on for 10-15 minutes, then moisten fingertips and gently massage mask into skin, rewetting your fingers often.
• Rinse with lukewarn water, pat dry.
• Followup with ACV Toner, then any serums or moisturizers as desired.

Important Note: This mask can be drying for some users, so do not use more often than recommended, no matter how much you may be tempted by the miraculous reduction in red marks from previous breakouts!

Also, it is a good idea to followup this mask by applying a nice, rich facial moisturizer after rinsing mask off and applying ACV toner.

For extremely sensitive skin, you do not need to leave it on for as long as directed, or else you may cut back and use mask only 1-2 per week.

I now use my Super-Sonic mask to exfoliate my face every morning. However, I’ve got very-thick, very oily skin that is only sensitive to certain products or ingredients very infrequently, so if you’re skin is more reactive or sensitive, I would only use this mask 1-2 per week, or about as often is you are able to tolerate using the plain “vanilla” aspirin mask.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:07 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |