Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Home made Skinceuticals
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Michele

Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:15 am      Reply with quote
I was reading chat from November and someone said they knew how to make the C + E Serum that SkinCeuticals sells for $122. Does anyone know how to make it?

5% products discount

Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:58 am      Reply with quote
i would be interested too.... better yet, is there any way to make the C+E Ferulic ? I noticed that you can order "trans ferulic acid" as supplements... is that the same thing?
labbate

Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:23 am      Reply with quote
I keep trying to find a recipe that makes the same serum as skinceuticals ferulic acid C&E. Can't someone please tell me how to make that serum or something similar. I allready know how to make an L-ascorbic acid serum by itself, but I need the other recipe with ferulic and vitamin E !!???[/b]
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
Not sure if its right but I jusr add ferulic acid to my homemeade vit c serum, off the top of mt head I'd jusr add the vit e also if its available in powder form.

Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
Really? I heard the ferulic acid doesn't dissolve in glycol or water? Exacly how do you make it?

Thanks
I'm Kiki
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:03 am      Reply with quote
Hmmm, I just add a vit E cap.. Prick a hole and squeez it in.. Is this not good?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:05 am      Reply with quote
Kiki--wouldn't you need an emulsifier so the vitamin E can mix with the water or aloe base?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:45 am      Reply with quote
Kiki

With the ferulic acid, it did take a while for it to dissolve, but so does the l'asorbic acid powder that I use, it might have taken a day or two of shaking it but it did eventually dissolve. There may be a better way of doing this, so I hope someone more experienced or more knowledgable can chime in.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:19 am      Reply with quote
I found that adding a little HA helps the dissolving process in this.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:22 am      Reply with quote
How do you control the ph of your serums knowing that a low ph is required to make an effective c serum?
salli
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:57 am      Reply with quote
Marina, I copied this out of another post. The post was by Tangal. Hopefully, it will be helpful.

The pH Scale

The pH scale goes from 0-14, this covers most wet substances, though some substances can be extreamly acid or base, and go beyond this scale. But for skincare products, you will not be using these.

-Acids have pH values under 7 - they are more acidic then water (acid)
-alkalis have pH values over 7 - they are more alkaline then water (base)
-If a substance has a pH value of 7 - it is neutral, like water, (neither acid nor base)

The difference between one pH, is one unit of measure, and represents tenfold, or ten times the change.
Each whole number below 7 is ten times more acidic then the next higher number. (6.0 to 7.0 for example) Each whole number above is ten times more alkaline.

The segments between each whole value are divided into increments of 10ths. Not increments of one. Similar to the way a ruler has both inches, and 16ths of inches divisions between each inch marker ( 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, 5.3 …)

For example, a cleanser with a pH of 6 is ten times more alkaline than a cleanser with a pH of 5.
A cleanser with a pH of 7 is 100 times more alkaline then one of 5.
Skin pH is 4.5 to 5.5, which is a recommended cleanser range, for best skin health.

Because of this, only a few units of pH can make a big difference in how a product or your skin reacts.
(A pH scale tells you if a product is more acid or alkaline/base. 7 is neutral - it is equally acid and base. Any number less then 7 is acidic, any number higher then 7 is alkaline)

pH Examples

Some pH examples:

pH 1 battery acid - (acid extreme)
pH 1.5 -2 = Gastric (stomach) acid
pH 2.5 = Cola soft drinks
pH 2 = lemon juice
pH 3 = vinegar
ph = 3.5 Orange Juice
pH 4.6-5.5 = healthy skin
pH 5.5 = rain, (pure water, when exposed to the atmosphere, will take in carbon dioxide, changing its pH)
pH 6.5 = milk
pH 6.5 – 7.4 = Healthy Saliva
pH 7 = pure distilled water - (this is Neutral pH, neither acid or base)[/color]
pH 7.35 – 7.45 = human blood
pH 8.5 = baking soda
pH 9 = Sea Water
pH 9.0-10.0 = Hand Soap, detergents
pH 10.5 = Milk of Magnesia
pH 11.5 = household ammonia
pH 12.5 = household bleach
pH 13 = lye (sodium hydroxide, or Draino)(Alkaline or Base extreme)

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
ariesxtreme wrote:
Kiki

With the ferulic acid, it did take a while for it to dissolve, but so does the l'asorbic acid powder that I use, it might have taken a day or two of shaking it but it did eventually dissolve. There may be a better way of doing this, so I hope someone more experienced or more knowledgable can chime in.

Oh heck, I have NO idea...LOL I'm trying to hard to learn things, and in the process getting myself so much more confussed...

I just give the bottle a shake before I use it, figuring the oil and water will have seperated... I know that's probably not the best thing to do either...

Soooo, am I just wasting my time here? Really, I want to know!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:29 pm      Reply with quote
OH,really?I'm interested to hear this news.But actually i don't confident that i can DIY "SkinCeuticals C+E serum"? Rolling Eyes

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:23 am      Reply with quote
Hello, I am new to EDS and this is my very first post.

The following is my recipe for C&E Ferulic, which I first posted on the SAS forum. Hope it is helpful, but you will need a digital scale, which is not at all expensive if you get it off Ebay like I did.

I have not included a preservative in it - because it was so cheap to make, I kept it in the fridge, and used the lot within 10 days on my face, neck, decolletage and forearms (basically slapped it on very liberally after my morning shower, before sealing it in with body lotion).

You will need a digital scale for the level of precision I am prescribing below:

Aloe vera juice 25% 12.5g
Seakelp 25% 12.5g
Distilled water 30% 15.0g
Ascorbic Acid 15% 7.5g
Glycerin 3% 1.5g
Vitamin E 1% 0.5g
Ferulic acid 0.5% 0.25g
Polysorbate 20 0.5% 0.25g

Phase A: Dissolve L-Ascorbic Acid in distilled water via agitation and gentle heating (warm, never hot or you will denature the ascorbic acid).

Phase B: Dissolve the ferulic acid in the glycerin - some "spirited" stirring may be necessary. (Besides being quite an effective solvent, glycerin is also a humectant).

Phase C: Mix together Phase A, Phase B, aloe vera juice, seakelp, Vit.E and Polysorbate 20 (PS20 is necessary to emulsify the anti-ox booster) and stir/agitate until homogenized.
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:39 am      Reply with quote
Thank you & welcome. Michele, I think you've got your answer.
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:07 am      Reply with quote
nyonyakay,

Thank you so much for the recipe! Much appreciated Very Happy .

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:01 pm      Reply with quote
My pleasure. I have been looking for a more impartial skin forum to discuss issues and raw ingredients. Since discovering Skin Actives, Bulk Actives, Garden of Wisdom, Beyond-A-Century, etc., over the past six months, formulating for family and friends has become a hobby.

I have purchased a digital thermometer, digital scale, spatulas, jars, dropper bottles, syringes, etc. and raw materials galore. I read ingredients lists voraciously, and find Wikipedia a very useful bio-chemistry resource.

Skin Actives was a wonderful start, but the heavy censorship I have seen (and been subject to) in the past few months have caused me to withdraw to the sidelines there and just watch some of the borderline sycophantic postings.

I like the feel of this forum very much, and look forward to participating and contributing further.

Thank you for the warm welcome!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
nyonyakay - I agree SAS way too censored! This is a great forum!

Sorry, meant to add where did you find the ferulic at? Thanks in advance!
nyonyakay
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
bulkactives dot com. They are very reasonably priced, and very reliable.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you! I'll check them out.
MermaidGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:33 pm      Reply with quote
nyonyakay wrote:
... I have been looking for a more impartial skin forum to discuss issues and raw ingredients. ...
Skin Actives was a wonderful start, but the heavy censorship I have seen (and been subject to) in the past few months have caused me to withdraw to the sidelines there and just watch some of the borderline sycophantic postings.

I like the feel of this forum very much, and look forward to participating and contributing further.

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Nyonyakay, welcome! You'll love it here!

Have you tried going over to Skin Interactive's site? It seems to me its a break off group from SAS. I just registered there in the last couple days and looked briefly at the site and it seems to be nice as do the people there. You might like it better than SAS's forum.
labbate

Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Nyonyakay for your recipe!!! This forum does seem to be more open and friendly. Thanks a lot!!!
labbate

Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Nyonyakay what kind of digital scale did you buy on ebay a postal scale. I'm not sure which kind of scale to buy?
nyonyakay
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:21 pm      Reply with quote
Labbate,

I bought the Triton-550t/0.1g, which is the second digital scale on the right on this webpage - it has an umpteen year guarantee, but for the price, if it broke, I'd just get another one anyway and not go through the hassle of claiming it.

http://stores.ebay.com.au/BELLOSPORT/DIGITAL-POCKET-SCALES.html

So far, no issues with it (I think I have been using it for 4 months) and the postage and shipping charges from this Ebay trader was reasonable. Also, quick shipment from the trader.

It has made a HUGE difference to tweaking my formulations. Very Happy Very Happy
labbate

Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:31 pm      Reply with quote
Thankyou so much for your help!!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:05 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |