Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
DIY Hair Loss Treatment Study, Recipe included
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
faythem1997

Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
Found this today, and am having hubby test this out soon:

Patients were enrolled in a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. One group received the following recipe:

Thyme vulgaris (2 drops, 88 mg), Lavandula angustifolia (3 drops, 108 mg), Rosmarinus officinalis (3 drops, 114 mg), and Cedrus atlantica (2 drops, 94 mg).

These oils were mixed in a carrier oil, which was a combination of jojoba, 3 ml, and grapeseed, 20 ml, oils ... The oils were massaged into the scalp for a minimum of 2 minutes.

Patients were taught to massage the oil into the bare areas of their scalp for two minutes each evening and then wrap a warm towel around their head to enhance absorption. The placebo group used just the carrier oils. The results were impressive. Of those who applied aromatherapeutic oils, 44 percent had improvement after seven months, compared to 15 percent in the control group. At the beginning of the study, and again after three and seven months, professional photographs were taken of each patient’s scalp. Changes as seen in the photographs served as the primary outcome measure. Mapping and measuring of the bald patches was also done to determine results.
An impressive 44 percent of the group using the essential oils significantly improved. The average area of hair regrowth with the essential oils was 104 square centimeters, compared with nearly zero for those using the placebo. According to one intriguing photograph provided by the researchers, considerable hair regrowth occurred with one male patient who had both alopecia areata and severe male pattern hair loss.

These results show aromatherapy to be a safe and effective treatment for alopecia areata. The researchers were proud to have successfully applied an evidence-based method to an alternative therapy. Evidently, one or more of the essential oils is able to promote hair regrowth. And unlike standard medical therapies, the essential oils have a very low risk of side effects and are not nearly as costly.

How To Use Essential Oils for Hair Loss:

Add 2 drops of the essential oil either to the rinse water or to a good vegetable oil. Massage it well into the scalp. Wrap the hair in plastic wrap; place a warm towel around it. Leave it for 2 to 3 hours, or overnight. Shampoo the hair as usual, using a mild shampoo (avoid medicated shampoo), so that you do not damage the sebum balance.

Essential Oils for Stimulating Circulation and Improving the Hair Health

A blend of bay and lavender essential oils stimulates the scalp and helps hair health. Add six drops of each oil to four ounces of a warm carrier oil such as almond, soybean or sesame oil. Massage the mixture into the scalp and allow it to absorb for 20 minutes. Add three drops of bay essential oil to the shampoo you regularly uses and wash the hair with this shampoo.

Essential Oil Blend for Hair Growth - As described above.

1. Thyme essential oil - 2 drops
2. Atlas cedarwood essential oil - 2 drops
3. Lavender essential oil -3 drops
4. Rosemary essential oil -3 drops
5. Jojoba oil - ˝ teaspoon
6. Grapeseed oil - 4 teaspoons

Add the first four ingredients into a small glass jar. Mix well. Now add the remaining two ingredients. Mix thoroughly.

Massage this mixture into your scalp for at least two minutes every night. Wrap your head in a warm towel after treatment.

Oils of arnica, lavender, rosemary or calamus stimulate healthy hair growth. Rub into hair before washing.

Caution: Avoid rosemary oil if you have high blood pressure. Keep lemon and grapefruit doses low if you have sensitive skin, as they may be slightly irritating.
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing.
I might have to get my cauldron out and brew up a batch for my follicly challenged hubby.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:38 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks! I will definitely do this. Off to Whole Foods this weekend.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for sharing this - I sent my Mum CareKate's Rosemary Hair scalp treatment - I'll make sure my Dad doesn't use it as he has high BP.
doba
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing this. I have all of ingredients, and after I will finish CareKate's Rosemary Hair scalp treatment, I'll make my own using this recipe.
LotteGolightly

Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:49 am      Reply with quote
I've been using a mixture of the essential oils in the above study, except the thyme, for my eyelashes and brows. I mix it with jojoba and ricinus oil (castor oil, I think it is in english?).

I've been using it for three weeks now, morning and evening, and though it seems that the individual lash (and brow hair) is getting a bit longer, it hasn't helped with any new growth. Confused

So far, I think it just prolongs the lifespan of the individual hair, but it might be able to spur new growth, if I had the same seven-month-patience as the patients in the study.

So after reading reviews here on EDS, I've bought the Ardell brow & lash accelerator as a supplement, to see if this will do any good in that departement.

If you want to try it out for yourself, be aware that the concoction has a strong (but not unpleasant)odour. Even though I only apply the tiniest amount along my eyelash line, I can still smell it for a long time.

I must admit, though, that I was being very generous with the essential oils, compared to the carrier oils Embarassed

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:19 am      Reply with quote
Thanx for the great recipees Faythem! Will def be trying these out on my miserable scalp Crying or Very sad Very Happy

LotteGoLightly - be careful with your dosage of EO's, you'll get more use of them with an "under-dose" than an over-dose.

Oh, and welcome to the forums - both of you! Very Happy

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
sark
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
i want to try out a hair growth recipe that i found on the long hair community forums. it's based on this one, but with a bunch more e.o.s:

4 oz. jojoba
4 drops each of:
Clary Sage
Cypress
Lemon
Basil, Sweet
Bay
Geranium
Rosemary - Cineole
Cedarwood: Himalayan, texas or atlas
Patchouli
Thyme
Sage, Dalmation type
Grapefruit
and 8 drops of Lavender

my question is, what's the best way to mix these all together so that you know everything is dispersed evenly?

thanks!
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
You want have any problem at all. Just add the e.o.s to your carrier oil and shake it gently to disperse evenly.

I'd say two things though - (1)it would be best if your container was amber or cobalt (as opposed to clear) glass; and (2) it is also best to let the blend sit for a couple of days before you use it.
Dora
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:12 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for sharing. I will try it.
dreamskin
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:10 am      Reply with quote
I think that small an amount of rosemary oil would not have too much of an effect on high blood pressure.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:13 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |