Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Success - perfect skin!!!, Luckylouie's Recipes
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
luckylouie
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:18 am      Reply with quote
Okay, not quite perfect but really really good, and I got your attention right?

I became seriously interested in DIY skincare in December of last year after developing an allergy to chemical sunscreens, which resulted in an increase in age spots, broken capillaries, and the skin on my neck and backs of hands going very crepey and dry. I experimented and posted various results, and now after just over six months I can report that the age spots have faded by at least 50%, the broken thread veins are 90% gone and the dry crepey skin on my neck is back to normal and much improved on the back of my hands. I am posting below my day and evening routine. I am not giving exact recipes because I am slack. I tend to put in as much of the active ingredients as feels right to me at the time. All actives are from Bulk Actives.

AM - wash face with Pears soap (yes I know soap is supposed to be bad but it works for me). Apply a serum made from the following: DMAE, yeast beta glucans, milk thistle, msm, niacinamide and glucosamine which are dissolved in glycerin and then added to Fruit of the Earth aloe vera gel. The dmae turns the mixture runny, but that's fine by me. I use however much glycerin is necessary to dissolve the actives I am using. Although I am not giving exact amounts I use roughly 1/4 tsp of each active dissolved in about a desertspoon of glycerin and added to 50 mls of the aloe vera gel. After this I apply Ambre Solaire sunscreen which is free of cinnimates. I have discovered I am okay with other chemical sunscreens and because I have large pores the mineral sunscreens tend to give me blackheads in hot weather. Lastly Innoxa firming eye cream.

PM - wash face with pears soap or use sorbolene if I wore makeup. Apply my own homemade acv toner. This consists of apple cider vinegar in which I have soaked a chopped onion for a week. I then dilute this 50/50 with rose water. Yes I know it sounds disgusting but onion juice is supposed to help fade age spots. The result is something that smells like pickle juice but the smell fades really fast (and the age spots have too). Apply a small amount of the same serum I used AM, wait a minute until absorbed and then top with a mixture of oils instead of moisturiser. I use a mixture of emu oil, olive oil, sesame oil, a couple of drops of essential oil of lavender and rosemary plus the contents of several vitamin e capsules squeezed into it. I don't bother with eye cream at night as I feel the serum with all the actives in it is enough, and the oil will migrate up towards the eyes anyway.

Once a week I use bicarb mixed with sorbolene as a very gentle scrub, however the toner I use at night would also be acting as an exfoliant due to the acid content (that's why I only use it at night).

During the six months I didn't change my diet or exercise routine. The only other thing I have done differently is the acupressure face massage, but that has only been in the last month. My skin now looks better than it did before I had the bad reaction to the chemical sunscreens.

For reference I am 43 with normal/combination skin, largeish pores and have had broken thread veins since I was a teenager and a couple of small age spots for nearly 10 years. Apart from the reaction to chemical sunscreens, my skin doesn't react to any products. The combination of niacinamide and rosemary oil (night only) has brought my slightly oily skin under control so I no longer look like a grease slick in summer, and my pores are not as noticable.
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:04 am      Reply with quote
Good for you!

I have to admit I'd NEVER be able to use the ACV and chopped onions myself, but hey, if it works for YOU, that's all that counts...
iaimei
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:47 pm      Reply with quote
luckylouie wrote:
... and now after just over six months I can report that the age spots have faded by at least 50%, the broken thread veins are 90% gone and the dry crepey skin on my neck is back to normal and much improved on the back of my hands.

That sounds huge improvement you have achieved trough your DIYs. Which ingredient you think really helped with the broken veins? TIA.
luckylouie
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:59 pm      Reply with quote
The msm and milk thistle have helped most with the broken thread veins. When I first started diy I tried a combination of horsetail and vitamin k which did nothing. The thread veins started fading after I changed to msm and milk thistle instead.
rebelgirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:08 am      Reply with quote
luckylouie wrote:
The msm and milk thistle have helped most with the broken thread veins. When I first started diy I tried a combination of horsetail and vitamin k which did nothing. The thread veins started fading after I changed to msm and milk thistle instead.

I'm really interested too Smile How much msm and milk thistle did you take? and what brand.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:50 am      Reply with quote
wow that sounds like a lot of work. Im lazy to diy so I rather buy the stuff. Haha

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:25 am      Reply with quote
Rebelgirl I didn't take them internally I used them on my face. Bulk actives for the milk thistle and plain msm powder bought from the local health food store.

Faeriedust I guess if it sounds like too much work then you must already have pretty good skin.
rebelgirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:08 am      Reply with quote
luckylouie wrote:
Rebelgirl I didn't take them internally I used them on my face. Bulk actives for the milk thistle and plain msm powder bought from the local health food store.

How did you use these?

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:56 am      Reply with quote
luckylouie, thanks for the update! Based on your home-made "Rosacure" recommendation in the other thread, I've added MSM and milk thistle extract to my HA.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
Luckylouie, which milk thistle are you using? I could not find anyhting on bulkactives site. Is it powder or liquid?

TIA,
Lucy.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
Rebelgirl read my first post. I dissolved them in glycerin and added that to aloe vera gel to make a serum.

Sigma, bulk actives sell milk thistle under its botanic name silymarin in powder form. Sorry I didn't realise they only listed it under its botanic name.
iaimei
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:49 pm      Reply with quote
rebelgirl wrote:
luckylouie wrote:

How did you use these?

Could I add those 2 ingredients into my regular night cream, without staring everything from scratch. What are the portions would be if added to 1 oz face lotion? TIA
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
nadjazz wrote:
luckylouie, thanks for the update! Based on your home-made "Rosacure" recommendation in the other thread, I've added MSM and milk thistle extract to my HA.

Could you please post the link to the thread you are referring to?
Smile Thanks.

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
luckylouie
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
You could easily add these ingredients to a ready made cream, just dissolve them first and then stir them in. MSM dissolves really easily in water and would probably dissolve straight into almost any cream. Milk thistle is supposed to dissolve in warm water, but I found that it tended to clump and that I had to use glycerin instead, so just dissolve it in a small amount of glycerin and stir that into your cream. The small amount shouldn't alter the texture of your cream. Use around 1/4 tsp of each dissolved into about 1 tsp of glycerin for 1 oz of cream. Both ingredients are fairly harmless, you could easily use 1/2 tsp of each, no problem.

amnis - the info I have put in the first post here is all you need. The two active ingredients in Rosacure are milk thistle and msm which is why I started using them. Just dissolve the two ingredients in a small amount of glycerin and add to your regular night cream, or to aloe vera gel to use as a serum under sunscreen for daytime use. Consistent use is the key. If you stop using the active ingredients the broken thread veins will reappear, however the ingredients are fairly inexpensive so it's easy to keep using them. I wanted to make my own version of Rosacure because it is fairly expensive in Australia, around $40 for a 50 ml tube. Bulk Actives sells 30gms of milk thistle powder for $3.60 plus postage and msm powder is available at most health food stores as well as online starting at around $10 depending on the quantity.
Lorena
5% products discount

Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:17 am      Reply with quote
I can confirm that Luckylouise's recipe really works. I've been following her advice for about a couple of weeks now and my spider veins are much, MUCH lighter. I use Gow's scar cream as a base, and these are the %:
20 gr cream
3 gr MSM dissolved in 2.5 gr water (work fast, as these re-crystallize in such a little water)
3.5 gr silymarin in a little glycerine

I've recently added 4 drops helichrysum EO and 4 drops cypress EO.

I think she's a very nice lady and I really appreciate her sharing her experience/recipes. I'll follow her posts religiously…
faeriedust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:21 am      Reply with quote
luckylouie wrote:

Faeriedust I guess if it sounds like too much work then you must already have pretty good skin.

no I dont have good skin at all. My routine is not the normal cleanse tone moisturise. I just dont really diy a lot. My diy is just buying GOW stuff and making my own serum. Im afraid of things going wrong. So I do easy stuff. haha.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
luckylouie wrote:
This consists of apple cider vinegar in which I have soaked a chopped onion for a week. I then dilute this 50/50 with rose water. Yes I know it sounds disgusting but onion juice is supposed to help fade age spots.

Actually, that makes total sense; onion extract (called Cepa or something) is one of the main ingredients in Mederma.
melanie haber
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
Onion, I believe, also contains sulfur, and quercetin. I didn't know about the lightening property.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
I'll have to try the msm. I asked about it on skinactives but hannah was sceptical about it saying she's never heard of msm helping cappillaries but I trust the word of someone who's actually used it Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:43 am      Reply with quote
Hi Luckylouie

you did get my attention
wow
Smile Bad Grin Laughing Razz
skim
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:27 am      Reply with quote
Onion in ACV?? I've never heard of that. Sounds stinky Razz

The things we do for good skin. Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:19 pm      Reply with quote
luckylouie wrote:
Rebelgirl read my first post. I dissolved them in glycerin and added that to aloe vera gel to make a serum.

I see I thought that was a different serum. I did find another thread of yours about this and noted down the quantities.

I bought some milk thistle liquid extract which I hope will work. It's just glycerine, milk thistle, water and caramel. I'm not sure of the caramel but I'm hoping it will still be fine.

I'm going to have to get the MSM online.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:42 am      Reply with quote
I tried to make the serum yesterday (since I finally had gotten all the ingredients). The result - it has earthy color, runny and grainy.
It is definitely effective, but I think I did something wrong.

I put 1/4 tsp of DMAE, yeast beta glucans, milk thistle, msm, niacinamide and glucosamine into 1 tsp of glycerine, dissolved and then added aloe vera to it.

Luckylouie, how does your serum look and what do you think I did wrong?

TIA,
Lucy.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:40 am      Reply with quote
Sigma

This is what I do so the only thing I can think of is either use a little more glycerin, or leave the actives/glycerin mixture for a while before adding it to the aloe vera gel. I find glycerin dissolves all the actives without leaving any grainy bits, so that is really the only thing I can suggest. I usually mix the actives/glycerin for about a minute and then leave it to sit for a few minutes before adding it to the gel. I actually made a new batch last night and had no problems. The colour is mustard, because of the milk thistle. The runny texture is because of the dmae. It reacts with the carbomer which is used to thicken the aloe vera. If you want a gel like texture, leave out the dmae and add it to a cream that is free of carbomer. I am happy having a runny texture.
Faithfully10

Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
luckylouie wrote:
Okay, not quite perfect but really really good, and I got your attention right?

I became seriously interested in DIY skincare in December of last year after developing an allergy to chemical sunscreens, which resulted in an increase in age spots, broken capillaries, and the skin on my neck and backs of hands going very crepey and dry. I experimented and posted various results, and now after just over six months I can report that the age spots have faded by at least 50%, the broken thread veins are 90% gone and the dry crepey skin on my neck is back to normal and much improved on the back of my hands. I am posting below my day and evening routine. I am not giving exact recipes because I am slack. I tend to put in as much of the active ingredients as feels right to me at the time. All actives are from Bulk Actives.

AM - wash face with Pears soap (yes I know soap is supposed to be bad but it works for me). Apply a serum made from the following: DMAE, yeast beta glucans, milk thistle, msm, niacinamide and glucosamine which are dissolved in glycerin and then added to Fruit of the Earth aloe vera gel. The dmae turns the mixture runny, but that's fine by me. I use however much glycerin is necessary to dissolve the actives I am using. Although I am not giving exact amounts I use roughly 1/4 tsp of each active dissolved in about a desertspoon of glycerin and added to 50 mls of the aloe vera gel. After this I apply Ambre Solaire sunscreen which is free of cinnimates. I have discovered I am okay with other chemical sunscreens and because I have large pores the mineral sunscreens tend to give me blackheads in hot weather. Lastly Innoxa firming eye cream.

PM - wash face with pears soap or use sorbolene if I wore makeup. Apply my own homemade acv toner. This consists of apple cider vinegar in which I have soaked a chopped onion for a week. I then dilute this 50/50 with rose water. Yes I know it sounds disgusting but onion juice is supposed to help fade age spots. The result is something that smells like pickle juice but the smell fades really fast (and the age spots have too). Apply a small amount of the same serum I used AM, wait a minute until absorbed and then top with a mixture of oils instead of moisturiser. I use a mixture of emu oil, olive oil, sesame oil, a couple of drops of essential oil of lavender and rosemary plus the contents of several vitamin e capsules squeezed into it. I don't bother with eye cream at night as I feel the serum with all the actives in it is enough, and the oil will migrate up towards the eyes anyway.

Once a week I use bicarb mixed with sorbolene as a very gentle scrub, however the toner I use at night would also be acting as an exfoliant due to the acid content (that's why I only use it at night).

During the six months I didn't change my diet or exercise routine. The only other thing I have done differently is the acupressure face massage, but that has only been in the last month. My skin now looks better than it did before I had the bad reaction to the chemical sunscreens.

For reference I am 43 with normal/combination skin, largeish pores and have had broken thread veins since I was a teenager and a couple of small age spots for nearly 10 years. Apart from the reaction to chemical sunscreens, my skin doesn't react to any products. The combination of niacinamide and rosemary oil (night only) has brought my slightly oily skin under control so I no longer look like a grease slick in summer, and my pores are not as noticable.

Luckylouie,

Do you keep the ACV and onion in the refrigerator or out for the week it is soaking?

Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:54 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |