Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

AHA or BHA for clear skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:35 am      Reply with quote
I have been reading all over the internet the raves from people who use either a BHA or/AHA for clear skin. So my question is this. Which is better? Is Benzoyl Peroxide a BHA or AHA and what is Salicylic Acid a BHA or AHA. Lastly since Asprin Masks are wonderful and asprin really is a Salicylic acid, could I crush them up and put them in my cleanser to get the "gritty" feel I so much desire but have a hard time finding?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:11 am      Reply with quote
Hey Berquis, hopefully a few threads I pasted below will help to clear up the confusion. I think they'll explain it better than I can Very Happy

One thing I DO know, is that benzoyl peroxide is extremely irritating to me. I do best with daily use of AHA/BHA and the occasional jot of sulphur for weekly and spot treatments. BTW, benzoyl peroxide is neither BHA or AHA, rather belonging to the chemical group peroxy.

AHA/BHA discussions from EDS forum:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=22245&highlight=bha+aha
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=21144&highlight=bha+aha
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=15681&highlight=benzoil+peroxide
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=12157&highlight=benzoil+peroxide

As far as aspirin masks go, aspirin is actually made up of acetylsalicylic acid; similar to salicylic acid, but not the same. I tried the aspirin masks for awhile, but found true salicylic acid treatments [BHA] to work best for me.

Here's another link to an article that compares BHA and AHA [beta and alpha hydroxy acids].

http://www.internationalrosaceafoundation.org/peels_retinoids.php4

HTH,

athena

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:31 pm      Reply with quote
This post explains the difference between AHAs and BHAs.
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=162128#162128
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:11 am      Reply with quote
My short answer is BHA.

BP isn't an acid (AHA or BHA).

You could certainly try the crushed aspirin route but why are you looking for a gritty feel? Perhaps a scrub thing? Not for daily use though.
my sushi secret
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:27 pm      Reply with quote
My short answer is both. =p

I used to use BHA by itself, and it was good. Now I use a 5% BHA/10% AHA combo, and it's great. I don't even use Retin A anymore because the AHA is enough.

I can't say this will be true for you, but I got better results using a liquid with both acids (2 in 1), than with using one after another. Whatever you decide to do, start with a lower %, or you may peel like mad.
charlibets
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:07 pm      Reply with quote
my sushi secret wrote:

I used to use BHA by itself, and it was good. Now I use a 5% BHA/10% AHA combo, and it's great. I don't even use Retin A anymore because the AHA is enough.

I can't say this will be true for you, but I got better results using a liquid with both acids (2 in 1), than with using one after another. Whatever you decide to do, start with a lower %, or you may peel like mad.

Do you make this yourself or is it something you buy?
Betsy
my sushi secret
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:02 am      Reply with quote
charlibets wrote:
my sushi secret wrote:

Betsy

I buy it online. I'll PM you the info if you're interested.
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:46 am      Reply with quote
I agree with Sushi that it's the bha/aha combo that works the best for cleaning out pores and refining skin. It has become a HG for me. My face now seems "normal".

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
athena123
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:02 am      Reply with quote
my sushi secret wrote:

Yep, the combo of BHA/AHA on a daily basis has worked best for me with weekly mud/sulfer masks and spot treatment.

44 – combo/oily skin with a tendency towards clogged pores. Thanks to EDS, tweaked my skincare routine and normalized skin… no more breakouts. PSF, silk powder, Janson Beckett, Cellbone, NIA24 are staples.
charlibets
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
my sushi secret wrote:
charlibets wrote:
my sushi secret wrote:

Betsy

I buy it online. I'll PM you the info if you're interested.

I'm interested!
Thanks,
Betsy
DiPhx
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone - Okay I overdid the aspirin masks -
I've been using for about a week and had a couple small breakouts on my forehaed next to my hairline - now I have "red spots" and
dimpled skin where the aspirin masks have been.
Help - how do I get rid of the red spots and get smooth skin again?? I still have the breakouts but think they may be better than
red spots and dimpled skin - help - any
ideas??? Thx DiPhx

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:33 am      Reply with quote
DiPhx wrote:
Hi everyone - Okay I overdid the aspirin masks -
I've been using for about a week and had a couple small breakouts on my forehaed next to my hairline - now I have "red spots" and
dimpled skin where the aspirin masks have been.
Help - how do I get rid of the red spots and get smooth skin again?? I still have the breakouts but think they may be better than
red spots and dimpled skin - help - any
ideas??? Thx DiPhx

Oh no, sounds like an allergic reaction di, have you ever used aspirin mask before? A few things that can be very soothing to irritated skin, only please try patch tests first!

1. lavendar oil - may want to dilute with water, although this is the ONLY EO I apply on my face without diluting - or try a lavendar hydrosol if you have any onhand.
2. witch hazel - preferably the kind without any alcohol in it, Thayer's is very nice and available in most health/natural food stores
3. squalene oil - this can be soothing and healing, but for some skintypes can cause breakouts. I have very oily skin and never apply this to my face, reserving it instead for the eye area, neck and chest
4. camellia oil - between this and jojoba oils, the only kind my face can tolerate without breakouts. Can be very soothing as well.

You do NOT want to apply any additional actives until this is clear.

BTW, I tried aspirin masks a few times until I realized that aspirin contains a form of salicylic acid, but it's not quite the same. [acetesalicylic acid] Since then, I stopped the aspirin masks and stick to SA instead.

Peace and don't worry, this too shall pass! Very Happy

DiPhx
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
Thx Athena - sounds like a plan and will try to
soothe and repair at this point! Appreciate your help - DiPhx

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:14 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone make their own? Please share if you do Very Happy
daydreamingda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:18 pm      Reply with quote
i do!!

i use one of the DIY recipe posted on the DIY thread and changed it into my own recipe which fits me most:

4 asprin tablets (Salicylic Acid => BHA)
1 tsp plain yogurt (lactic acid)
1 tsp honey (moisturizer)
1/2 tsp sugar (glycolic acid => AHA)
a few drops of lime juice (citric acid => AHA)

it feels great even only after the first time of use!! Cool
Mardy Bum
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:44 pm      Reply with quote
daydreamingda wrote:
i do!!

i use one of the DIY recipe posted on the DIY thread and changed it into my own recipe which fits me most:

Cool! Thanks for that. Running off to the kitchen to make it Very Happy I wonder what percent this would work out to be? I have white willow bark might try some of that after the asprin.
daydreamingda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:53 pm      Reply with quote
hmmmm... not sure abt the percentage.

But i saw from that DIY thread that some other people's recipes containing even 5-6 asprin. so i guess mine should be just mild...

I've also tried using 5 asprin a time thru trial & error. but i found there's no difference between using 3 or 5. the outcome is the same!
daydreamingda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:00 am      Reply with quote
btw, it must be PLAIN aspirin. Tylenol, Panadol etc will not work. The uncoated ones will be easiler to dissolve.
Mardy Bum
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:13 am      Reply with quote
Thank you Wink , I will work my way up to 4 asprin just to see how my skin tolerates it at first.
daydreamingda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:37 am      Reply with quote
Mardy Bum wrote:
Thank you Wink , I will work my way up to 4 asprin just to see how my skin tolerates it at first.

sure! good luck anf have fun!!! Cool
charlibets
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:15 am      Reply with quote
daydreamingda wrote:
i do!!

daydreamingda-

what is the consistency of your mask? I've made a similar one myself (also from a recipe I think I found here) but it remains gritty no matter how much I grind up the aspirin - is that typical? I think it works just fine, but the consistency is weird.

How long do you leave it on?

Thanks,
Betsy
Diana P
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:18 am      Reply with quote
charlibets wrote:
daydreamingda wrote:
i do!!

daydreamingda-

what is the consistency of your mask? I've made a similar one myself (also from a recipe I think I found here) but it remains gritty no matter how much I grind up the aspirin - is that typical? I think it works just fine, but the consistency is weird.

Thanks,
Betsy

My aspirin masks, no matter what I put in them, are always gritty. It sticks on my face OK, and then after I leave in on for about a half hour I wet it then scrub my face lightly.
daydreamingda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:10 am      Reply with quote
charlibets wrote:
daydreamingda wrote:
i do!!

daydreamingda-

Thanks,
Betsy

Hi Betsy,

The aspirin will never completely be melted so it's "normal" to be gritty. (fyi, you can put just a few drops of water on the asprin and it will dissolve much better without the need to "grind" it!)

my mixture is not too thick (i think the honey is the binding agent) and i usually apply a thin layer first and let it dry a bit (around 5 mins) before i apply another layer to make it a bit thicker on my face. i will usually apply it 2-3 times. let it dry for around 20-30 mins. and then i will wet my fingers and and gently rub my face (exfoliation) for around 30 seconds before i rinse everything off.

it works really well!!! Wink
Jira
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:36 am      Reply with quote
daydreamingda wrote:
i do!!

WOW!! Thanks daydreamingda for this recipe. Now I got the idea Wink
daydreamingda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:25 am      Reply with quote
my pleasure!!

and u can use the leftovers as hand scrub too! just rub ur hands for 30-60sec and rinse with water... ur hands will feel great immediately too!!!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:46 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |