Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Serum 16 (30 ml / 1 floz)
spirulina
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
annachan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:28 am      Reply with quote
not sure if this is the right forum....but I have a question...I have always taken spirulina tablets or caps...but recently bought the powder...
how the hell are you supposed to take it? it becomes sticky/oily and sticks to the inside of your mouth...it wont mix in liquid....HELP!!! Brick wall
John C. Hill
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:26 am      Reply with quote
Just curious annachan, but why do you take Spirulina? Way, way back, in 1985 when I was first starting bodybuilding, I 'heard' rumour of this stuff being the next big supplement. Seems like everyone jumped on the bandwagon. Then, almost as quickly, several articles came out stating that it doesn't do much of anything for the body, and surely nothing for muscle enhancement or performance. Virtually everyone I know dropped it and I've never heard of anybody taking it since. I don't mean to be mean or anything, but I thought this "supplement" died an easy and quiet death more than 22 years ago....

John

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:20 pm      Reply with quote
It's a main ingredient in my favorite protein shakes - Spirutein (soy protein). It's by FAR the best tasting protein drink I've had. It comes in about 10 different yummy flavors. I used it as a midafternoon snack.

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
annachan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
have been taking it for ages...when I stopped I put on weight (without having changed anything else in my diet or life) and caught colds easier...thats happened every time I have stopped......I take it also because it has iron and b12.... I dont eat meat so that is an extra way to get that in my system. I stopped taking multi vitamins ages ago and found that nothing at all changed ..I would rather take nutritious power food supplements (natural and organic) and eat lots of veggies and fruit etc than take a multi that really doesnt contain enough of anything.....so maybe I should make a shake with it in ? seriously it tastes SO BAD in straight powder form.....
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:57 am      Reply with quote
Definitely try making a shake with it! Maybe add it to some yogurt with some fruit?
Dahli
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
I love it and use it in my shakes too, also like to use a lot of cereal grasses, and chlorella, it almost needs to be shaken well (beat like crazy) to become palatable.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
I used to take spirulina and chlorella everyday, around 12 tablets a day and went through several of those 1000 tablet bottles. It did NOTHING for me. In fact I was taking it during a time when my diet was rather poor and it did not help boost my energy or nutrition levels.

It is touted to be rich in all vitamins and amino acids, but after being freeze dried and processed I don't think it can be a rich source of anything but chlorophyll.

I now invest my $$ in quality protein and vitamins and have found my immune system to be in the best condition ever.
annachan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:07 pm      Reply with quote
thats too bad miranets...I have found the opposite to be true for me........I was using great quality multis and nothing! which brand are you taking? have you found one to be best? ...when I stop with the spirulina about a week later I feel horrible.....but there is no substitute for a good healthy diet! and I guess we should never expect anything to really work wonders if we are not eating properly all the time.(which I know is so hard!)...anything else we take (like spirulina) should be just an extra......
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:30 pm      Reply with quote
annachan wrote:
thats too bad miranets...I have found the opposite to be true for me........I was using great quality multis and nothing! which brand are you taking? have you found one to be best? ...when I stop with the spirulina about a week later I feel horrible.....but there is no substitute for a good healthy diet! and I guess we should never expect anything to really work wonders if we are not eating properly all the time.(which I know is so hard!)...anything else we take (like spirulina) should be just an extra......

I used to take a "quality" multi too, the brand Swisse - it cost a fortune and made my pee turn green. WHen I stopped it did not change the way I felt physically at all.

I no longer take multis because I prefer to not take minerals in synthetic forms, so I use concentrated mineral drops instead fortified with whatever mineral I might be lacking (in most instances it is zinc!)

I take a quality high absorption yield protein powder, along with b-complex, vitamin c and some bitters to stimulate bile production - again I prefer to take supplements which are condensed from food sources rather than synthetics.
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Anna,

I bought 1 pound of spirulina powder from my regular supplement provider a few weeks ago. i usually go with capsules since tablets don't break down completely in the body, but my supplier for some reason only carried the powder or the tablets.

I mixed it with water pretty well, but it tasted soooo bad that i knew i couldn't drink it straight like that again. i didn't want to just throw the spirulina away so i ended up doing a bit of research and bought a capsule making machine and some empty gel capsules. i made some capsules yesterday and it's actually kinda fun. and saves tons of money in the long run. the capsule machine was cheap, about $12 dollars.

HTH, Kris

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:42 am      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
Hi Anna,

I bought 1 pound of spirulina powder from my regular supplement provider a few weeks ago. i usually go with capsules since tablets don't break down completely in the body, but my supplier for some reason only carried the powder or the tablets.

I mixed it with water pretty well, but it tasted soooo bad that i knew i couldn't drink it straight like that again. i didn't want to just throw the spirulina away so i ended up doing a bit of research and bought a capsule making machine and some empty gel capsules. i made some capsules yesterday and it's actually kinda fun. and saves tons of money in the long run. the capsule machine was cheap, about $12 dollars.

HTH, Kris

ooh thats a good idea!
I now put some in a jar (an old vitamin jar) with a small amount of soy milk...close the lid and shake it up....it mixed perfectly and I can drink it down ok...it just doesnt mix if you try and stir! (as you found out)
and I TOTALLY agree with miranets ...its so much better to take separate minerals....multis dont really have enough of anything to be of any real benefit........
also wanted to add...when I take spirulina I find I dont crave sweets at all......curious....
Dahli
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:17 pm      Reply with quote
I am so in agreement with avoiding the synthetic forms of supplements, it's so hard to know what is worthwhile sometimes. Right now I'm on the hunt for a quality whole food based product and am even finding the whole (Schussler theory on )tissue salts to be fascinating and is my current pet project.
System
Automatic Message
Thu May 16, 2024 9:29 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Serum 16 (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Institut Esthederm Intensive Propolis+ Kaolin Purifying Mask (75 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |