Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

*~~~~~~~DIY skincare recipe & discussion thread~~~~~~~~*
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
elizchalifoux

Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hi yes you are right it smells mint-almond, the texture is not really thick almost like Ari's face cream. I don't need to keep the silicons as long as something works and is a good for me....and cheaper...I'm all for it. Thanks for your help
jgurlpunkrck
5% products discount

Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:56 pm      Reply with quote
Is there a difference between Lemon Peel and plain Lemon essential oil? I've been using the former and it seems to be working, but I was just curious.

(Sorry if this is the wrong place for this...I'm new... Embarassed )
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
jgurlpunkrck wrote:
Is there a difference between Lemon Peel and plain Lemon essential oil? I've been using the former and it seems to be working, but I was just curious.

(Sorry if this is the wrong place for this...I'm new... Embarassed )

No, they're the same: lemon EO is derived from the peel of the fruit, as is lemon peel EO.

I think the confusion derives from the fact that there is yet another EO called LemonGrass which comes from a completely different plant.

5% products discount

Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:32 pm      Reply with quote
Yea, I figured (well, more like hoped Laughing ).

Oh, and you're pretty much my hero right now since I went on a total DIY binge and made a ton of stuff. Your recipes are FANTASTIC. Keep 'em coming.

Just thought I'd let you know. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
jgurlpunkrck
5% products discount

Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:41 pm      Reply with quote
Another question:

I'm trying to make the DIY Lip Venom from Carekate's recipe, and have had a hard time finding liquid Niacin and B6. Are liquid capsule vitamins the best form? I couldn't find them at Whole Food's (they only had powder capsules), and, though I did find liquid Cayenne Pepper, it was $9.99. Is that the least expensive I'll find it?

Also, is it more effective than the *actual* Lip Venom (I've heard mixed reviews about the commercial product).

Thanks!!!
jgurlpunkrck
5% products discount

Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry to be a bother, but I was also curious as to whether you should get flush v no-flush Niacin. I imagine that the flush is what's making your lips pink, but I wondered if using one vs the other would make a difference topically. (I know from experience that it does when taken internally Shock )
fab50
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:22 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
Homemade Vitamin C Serum:

• 1/4 teaspoon of Lysorbic Acid (Vit-C) powder or crysals
• 5 ml distilled water
• 5 ml of propylene glycol (glycerin can be used instead, but I'd only recommend it for those with dry skin!)
• small amber or dark blue glass bottle

Put all of the ingredients in the little blue or amber bottle (need to wash it out thoroughly each time before mixing a new batch), replace cap/lid, and shake vigorously then let sit for a couple of hours, coming back to shake the bottle again every hour or so because it can take a little while for the Vit-C to solubulize.

If you really want to make your Vit-C serum with glycerin, you can usually find small bottles of it in the first-aid section of most pharmacies or supermarkets. Personally, I prefer using the propylene glycol – the consistency of my serum turned out even *better* than the CSRx version!!! When I made the serum using glycerin instead of PG, I found it to be too “greasy” for my liking (remember, I have hyper-oily skin!) and it caused me to have to blot my face even more often than usual, but this new batch has left me having to blot LESS often that usual, so I definitely think I’ve got a winner here!!

FYI - I ordered my propylene glycol from this website: http://www.thepersonalformulator.com/ and this is the link to the brand of Vit-C crystals that I bought at my local Whole Foods: http://amos.shop.com/cc.amos?main=catalog&prd=18010344&_x_=SouthNatural-NUTRICOLOGY-PURE-VITAMIN-C-ASCORBIC-POWDER-120-GM&ccsyn=260&pcd=11927518&ccsid=372971285-18619&_ccn_test=1.

Please note: You have to be careful when buying Vit-C though, because there's a 100 different types: unbuffered, Vit-C crystals with additional additives, Vit-C crystals that are sugared and flavored that you mix with water into a drink...basically you just need to read the label to be sure it's 100% pure lysorbic acid with no additional ingredients. They also have the Vit-C in powdered form, but apparently the crystals are more "soluable."

I'm pretty new here and just found this DIY link. I've just started using VitC serum and really like it so far (I'm using PSF's), so the idea of doing-it-myself is appealing. Just a couple of questions: Do you have to use the distilled water or is that just used for a little diluting? Also, in regards to which type of vitamin c to use, if I get the powdered form, which is more soluable, that is preferred? TIA

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:24 am      Reply with quote
oops, just realized I misread the original post: the crystals (not the powder) are more soluable, so that is preferred?

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:09 am      Reply with quote
one last question Wink do you know what the pH of this recipe turns out to be? Thanks!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:37 am      Reply with quote
Two things, real quick. This is a little late for folks in the northern hemisphere, but maybe our friends in the south will find this useful:

Numerous research studies have shown that Catnip essential oil is 10X more effective than Deet in repelling mosquitoes and other bothersome flying insects. Even though it’s officially fall, the temps in TX have still been in the 90s F and the skeeters are still biting so I ordered some Catnip EO from a wholesaler on Ebay and I have to agree with the researchers that the mosquitoes (and bees/wasps!) heartily dislike Catnip oil so if you’re looking for some relief, I recommend you try it. I posted a recipe for homemade insect repellant further up in this thread and I wish I could update it to include Catnip in the list of EOs to use.

The other thing I want to tell you all about is actually quite timely considering that the major news agencies have been buzzing about the dangers of antibiotic-resistant MRSA staph infection epidemics in hospitals and schools across the country, and I’ve seen that this is also a concern in Europe so I wanted to get the word out on how to protect yourself ASAP.

My mom has actually had a sore on her face that her dermatologist diagnosed as being a staph infection -- she got it around the same time as my grandmother passed away last March so I’m thinking my mom was exposed to staph while she was visiting with my grandmother in the hospital or nursing home because my mom has a compromised immune system and picks up all kinds of germs and is constantly fighting one type of infection or another.

Anyway, the derm prescribed a course of antibiotics for my mom that she’s been taking for the past five months. The Tetracycline wasn’t killing the infection, but the staph sore on my mom’s face hadn’t gotten any worse or spread so I guess the antibiotic was sorta maintaining the status quo. The sore was hideous looking and she couldn't cover it up with makeup so it was really obvious when you looked at her. I even started teasing her about it when, each morning, I'd ask "How's your leporosy today?" Embarassed I never got any better, but it never got any worse, either.

That is, until last Thursday when the staph sore on my mom’s face abruptly got worse: it was red, swollen, oozing and appeared to be “decaying” and just looked really scary and I was afraid it might actually be MRSA because her dermatologist never actually screened her to determine which strain of staph infection she actually had.

I immediately got online and started researching EOs that are known to treat staph infections so that I could make her a synergy-blend to use since the prescription meds obviously were not working. I discovered that a mix of Lemon Eucalyptus EO, Kunzea EO, Manuka EO, White Thyme EO, and Nerolina Australia EO had been shown to be effective in fighting/killing antibiotic-resistant staph infections, as well as the E-Coli bacteria.

I also found out that several unofficial studies had found out that a mixture of Lavender EO and Tea Tree EO killed 100% of the MRSA staph infection that hospitals are struggling to treat and control at the moment. The results of this research is so promising that currently there are numerous trials being conducted by universities and other medical research staff. If you google “MRSA staff” and “essential oil” you’ll find links to several abstracts discussing these successes.

So after I concluded my research on Friday, I created a synergy-blend for my mom to treat the staph sore on her face using the five EOs listed above, as well as French+Aussie+40/42 Lavender (those are three different varities -- I didn't want to take any chances!) plus Tea Tree diluted in a carrier oil (I chose Neem).

I told my mom to apply the oil blend to the staph sore every two hours for the next few days to see if there was any improvement.

This was on Friday morning, and my mom was afraid she wouldn’t be able to go to church on Sunday and then to the church social afterwards because the sore on her face was so horrible-looking and was probably contagious, but by Sunday morning the staph sore had improved so dramatically it’s almost like it was never there!

She spent MONTHS taking doctor-prescribed antibiotics that did absolutely nothing, but after using the EO-blend for a day and a half, it was almost completely cured.

Now I don’t know for certain that the strain of staph that my mom had was MRSA, but I wanted to share the info about Lavender + Tea Tree oil treatment for any EDS members that work in the medical field or spend a lot of time at schools or other crowded places where infections could be easily passed from one to another.

My suggestion for those members would be to add a few drops of Lavender + Tea Tree oils to your regular antibacterial hand-soap, body wash, hand sanitizer, etc. To prevent inhalation of the MRSA germs, I’d also suggest buying or making a saline solution nasal spray (½ cup boiling hot distilled water, ¼ tsp non-iodized salt, ¼ baking soda mixed together; let cool then pour into an empty nasal spray container and let cool), then adding 1 drop Lavender EO and 1 drop Tea Tree oil to the saline nose drops. Then use the resulting nasal wash to irrigate your nose at last twice per day.

If you’d like more info about MRSA and Lavender + Tea Tree oil, click on this link: http://www.naturesgift.com/aromatherapymassage.htm#MRSA

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
VERY interesting. I work in an elementary school...you would NOT believe the stuff we're exposed to. When you have aides that literally cannot touch a child without wearing rubber gloves, you know you need to be careful. Shock

Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
Well, hello, all... I have a question. For the ACV toner, how long can you use it? I have heard that bacteria can grow very quickly if you don't have a preservative. Will lemon juice preserve it? I don't want to have to make a new batch every 2 or 3 days- I want it to last at least a week. And do you need to refridgerate it? I would think so. And I don't have the money to go out and buy any fancy preservatives, so some ones you could find around the house would be nice.
By the way, you all sound so smart about your stuff- it's like chemistry class. It's good to know you know what your talking about. Very Happy
fab50
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:08 pm      Reply with quote
Welcome, Grace! I'm sorry I don't have an answer to your question, I just wanted to say hi. I love this place; and I agree with you, everyone here is so well informed (with the exception of me - hehe Laughing), but better than that, they're kind and nonjudgmental.

5% products discount

Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:14 pm      Reply with quote
Hi!
I am new to the forum and was wondering if anyone had a recipe to get rid of the kink in my neck from sitting here the last couple of days absorbing the information in these very l-o-n-g but wonderful threads! (c: (jk)

My question is - I have a 3.5 foot aloe vera plant outside my door and tons of babies springing up from it. Can I use the juice/gel from these plants in the recipes? And do I have to do anything special to preserve it?

So far I have made the Asprin Mask, the Lip Venom, and Honey and olive oil hair conditioner and I am now HOOKED Very Happy on DIY goodies!

Thank you sooo much for the time and sharing you put into this forum! (((hugz)))
Wendallzmom aka Victoria
myeyesuprise

Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:09 pm      Reply with quote
if you have really bad hallitosis ( bad breath) even though you use mouth wash and such, stop, and use hydrogen peroxide! i know gross... but it, gets rid of bad breath, really it does. only use a little bit because it gets really foam only use a half of cap full. or just follow the directions on the back of the bottle it won't taste too good, but no more bad breath!

Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:47 pm      Reply with quote
here is a good face mask for zits (hence the name)

zit attack mask

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon green clay
1 teaspoon liquid honey
1 teaspoon yogurt *or* sour cream
1 drop rose geranium essential oil

Blending Procedure:

Combine all ingredients to mix well. Add essential oil last and mix well.

To use, say your Zit-Away Prayers, and spread this fragrant, soothing, and deeply cleansing "Wonder Mask" on your skin. Lay down and relax for up to an hour. If anyone tries to bother you, don't worry; you're quite a frightful sight, all green and gloppy and such, Very Happy and obviously deserve your "Beauty Rest". When you feel ready, rinse off with warm water, finish with a splash of cool water. Continue with your day and enjoy your newfound beauty secret! Shhh Wink

5% products discount

Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:04 pm      Reply with quote
Interesting thread, I am ready to make my Vit C serum.. Thanks girls for so many wonderful DIY recipes Smile
Jouke
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:04 am      Reply with quote
graceh wrote:
Well, hello, all... I have a question. For the ACV toner, how long can you use it? I have heard that bacteria can grow very quickly if you don't have a preservative. Will lemon juice preserve it? I don't want to have to make a new batch every 2 or 3 days- I want it to last at least a week. And do you need to refridgerate it? I would think so. And I don't have the money to go out and buy any fancy preservatives, so some ones you could find around the house would be nice.
By the way, you all sound so smart about your stuff- it's like chemistry class. It's good to know you know what your talking about. Very Happy

I was just about to ask the same question!
Carekate, can you help us?
I have Optiphen at home.....is that a good preservative to use?
Thanx a lot!!!
Wendallzmom
5% products discount

Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
Jouke wrote:
graceh wrote:

I was just about to ask the same question!
Carekate, can you help us?
I have Optiphen at home.....is that a good preservative to use?
Thanx a lot!!!

Wondering the same thing here too!
Esmeralda

Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
Avelon wrote:
For when your complexion is out of control.

Here is a little recipe that works for pigmentation and large pores and redmarks. It’s a bit like the Lush warrior mask and is the most effective thing I have ever used, it goes with a warning though, you will smell like salad dressing.

1 egg white
Kaolin or clay
3 teaspoons of garlic juice
juice from half a lemon.

Prep, night before take a few tables spoons of crashed garlic and place in a jar add water, pop in fridge overnight.

Whisk egg white till nice and fluffy, add juice from half a lemon, and desired teaspoons of garlic. Whisk again till fluffy. From here add the powdered clay, or corn flour if you don’t have clay until you get the consistency you want. Personally I beat the egg white for a while, this way you don’t need to much clay.

I use this morning and night for about a week to bring my face back into line when I have let it get out of control.

How much water should I add to the garlic juice and how much kaolin should I use?
xtaski
5% products discount

Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:49 am      Reply with quote
Is there a recipe for this cleanser posted on this board? I searched but did not find it posted but some threads are so very long and recipes have been updated.
Wendallzmom
5% products discount

Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:14 pm      Reply with quote
I found this site...
mountainroseherbs dot com
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:17 am      Reply with quote
This thread has been edited to remove contents not accepted by EDS Guidelines. Member was notified. A few post were removed that started/reacted to the offensive post.

Quote:
Personal Attacks:
Personal attacks are comments that negatively reflect upon a person instead of their opinion. These are not allowed on the EDS Forum, which also extends to the use of the EDS Forum Private Messaging system.

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:57 pm      Reply with quote
http://www.nuskin.com/corp/science/glossary.shtml

Everything you ever wanted to know about ingredients from A to Z.

Also a couple of very good study's on treating acne, cellulite + anti-aging.

Kassy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
erikaj35
5% products discount

Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:36 am      Reply with quote
If any of you gals have a very big infected and painful pimple this is the trick to calm it:
1/3 cup of aloe vera juice
9 drops of lavender
5 drops of tea tree oil
You mix this together and apply it to the skin. Don't worry if it burns....it is supposed to!
Enjoy! This can be used on smaller pimples as well.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:05 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |