Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Questions about Heliocare Supplement...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Ocean14
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Does Heliocare's protection work only at the cellular level or does it actually prevent your skin from tanning too???

Hi Shelley...

Yes Heliocare helps prevent tanning. The supplement is particularly effective against the UVA rays (ie. the tanning rays) and provides an spf 3 against the UVB rays...but everywhere on your body. It protects both externally and internally. It essentially protects against any of the rays that get past the topical sunscreen, so its a great investment for skin care!
Ocean14
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:29 pm      Reply with quote
Here are two really good studies on the extract in Heliocare: Polypodium Leucotomos, and the protection/benefits the supplement provides. For quick answers just look at the results/conclusions....

Predominant effects of Polypodium leucotomos on membrane integrity, lipid peroxidation, and expression of elastin and matrixmetalloproteinase-1 in ultraviolet radiation exposed fibroblasts, and keratinocytes.
Philips N, Smith J, Keller T, Gonzalez S.
Departments of Biology and Chemistry/Biochemistry, Georgian Court College, Lakewood, NJ, USA. philips@georgian.edu

BACKGROUND: Polypodium leucotomos has been reported to have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and photoprotective properties. Exposure of skin to ultraviolet (UV) radiation can lead to deposition of excessive elastotic material, reduction in collagen, and increased expression of matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs). OBJECTIVE: The goal of this research was to determine the effects of P. leucotomos in the absence or presence of UVA or UVB radiation on membrane damage, lipid peroxidation, and expression of elastin and MMP-1 in fibroblasts and keratinocytes, respectively. METHODS: Fibroblasts and keratinocytes, respectively, were irradiated by a single exposure to UVA (0.6, 1.8 or 3.6 J) or UVB radiation (0.75, 2.5 or 7.5 mJ), and then incubated with, or without, P. leucotomos (0.01, 0.1 and 1%) and examined for membrane damage, lipid peroxidation, expression of elastin (protein levels) and MMP-1 (protein levels or MMP-1 promoter activity). RESULTS: UV radiation did not significantly alter membrane integrity, lipid peroxidation or MMP-1 expression, but increased elastin expression. P. leucotomos significantly improved membrane integrity, inhibited lipid peroxidation, increased elastin expression, and inhibited MMP-1 expression in both fibroblasts, and keratinocytes. The effects of P. leucotomos predominated in the presence of UVA or UVB in both fibroblasts and keratinocytes, respectively, with the exception of inhibition of MMP-1 protein levels in fibroblasts only in combination with UV radiation. CONCLUSION: Lower concentration of P. leucotomos (lower than 0.1%), may be beneficial in preventing photoaging by improving membrane integrity and inhibiting MMP-1, without increasing elastin expression. Higher concentration (greater than 0.1%) of P. leucotomos may reverse the loss of normal elastic fibers associated with intrinsic aging.

Polypodium leucotomos extract: a nutraceutical with photoprotective properties.
Gonzalez S, Alonso-Lebrero JL, Del Rio R, Jaen P.Dermatology Service, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10022, USA.

Ultraviolet (UV) irradiation causes multifaceted damage to the skin and adjacent tissue layers, and is one of the leading causes of premature skin aging, immunosuppression and carcinogenesis. Photoprotection can be achieved by the use of sunscreens and also by systemically administered compounds that fight the deleterious biological effects of UV exposure, or preferably both. In this review, we summarize the current knowledge on the tissue, cellular and molecular mechanisms underlying the photoprotective effect of Polypodium leucotomos fern extract. P. leucotomos blocked the deleterious effect of UV irradiation both in vivo and in vitro. The molecular basis of photoprotection relies on its ability to inhibit free radical generation, prevent photodecomposition of both endogenous photoprotective molecules and DNA, and prevent UV-induced cell death. Its complete loss of toxicity combined with its multifactor protection makes it a valuable tool not only for direct photoprotection, but also as an efficacious adjuvant to phototherapy of various skin diseases.
Ocean14
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
Also want to add...

There seems to be a new version of the supplement..Heliocare Ultra. I only saw it on Spanish websites so maybe available in Spain? It has 480 mg of PLE (I think...the description says one pill= 2 pills of the original heliocare) and Vit C, E, Lutein and lycopene. I think if we wait a little longer it might be more easily available. It was kind of hard to find.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:11 pm      Reply with quote
Ocean, thanks for the scoop...I always love to see the studies behind products.

So what are the negatives to taking this every day? I live in FL, and we have pretty strong sun year round!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:50 pm      Reply with quote
Do u ladies take this everyday or only on bright sunny days? Since the Heliocare protects mostly from the UVA, cloudy days need to be protected too right?

For example, if u go out to work around 8am and then go out for lunch at noon, then off work home at 5pm... will u take it or mostly for days when u'll be out in the sun for long hrs? Confused
Ocean14
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:55 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
So what are the negatives to taking this every day? I live in FL, and we have pretty strong sun year round!

Hey Bethany!

There really isn't a negative for the supplement. The only real concern for taking daily would be vitamin D deficiency, but IMO this supplement will not have that much effect. Vitamin D is synthesized in our skin from UVB rays and this supplement gives an SPF of around 3. Our body only needs around 400 IU (some say optimal 800 IU but depends on person) of vitamin D and if you already get that from multivitamin or vit D supplement, then I dont see any problem. Also your body can make enough vitamin D from 10-15 min in sun (sunscreen doesnt screen out all the UV rays) just two times a week so just depends on where you get your vitamin D from.

If taken as a daily supplement most online places say one pill per day every morning is sufficient to protect from the hours of the day with the most dangerous UV rays. Personally, I only take the supplement when I'm going to be in the sun all day, but I've actually been thinking about taking it everyday over the summer/spring and not during the winter to save some money and get more protection. I dont live in Florida (lucky you), but the UV index is usu lower there in the winter too.

Another thing about antioxidants is that I don't really like the whole over supplementing with antioxidants. IMO there should be a balance between antioxidants and oxidants in the body, so if say I didn't exercise, go out in the sun, or do any other thing that causes over production of free radicals I usually don't worry about using heliocare or any other antiox supplement (except Dr. Brandt Water Boosters, which I love) I just get them from my diet. But again that is just my opinion. There has just been some strange reports lately that too much antioxidants can potentially produce oxidants in itself. This only concerns with OVER supplementing antioxidants and a daily heliocare would def not fit in that category.

Checking the UV index online is another good way to determine if you would need to take heliocare for that day or not.

So lots of options for taking the supplement, it just depends on what you want. I think its a great idea esp. since you live in Florida.
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:51 am      Reply with quote
I've heard that about Vitamin D too, but as of now I'm not sure about it at all. To be on the safe side (and save money) I think it would be best to wear sunscreen all the time, but in addition to that identify the days where you spend more time in the sun, so that you don't take it every single day, 365 days a year. I don't like in Florida, I'm in the northeast, and my regimen will probably be to take it 4-6 days a week in the late spring, summer, and early fall months. In the summer it (vitamin D deficiency) shouldn't be a problem, but I still wouldn't want to take it 7 days a week, because (as we recently learned Smile ) you shouldn't take any vitamin 7 days a week.

I think that it's only in the winter in the northern climates that vitamin D deficiency is an issue, so I don't think it'll be a great issue for you, assuming you take a standard multivitamin. If you're really concerned about it, the best thing I think to do would be to get tested for vitamin D deficiency in the winter after taking Heliocare regularly and find out.

About the vitamin supplements, I have thought about them, but as of now all I do is take the Women's One a Day multivitamin, and even that I don't take every day. Heliocare will be my first high end supplement. I just try to eat healthy and get enough vitamins and antioxidants in my diet, since that's the healthiest way to do it.
Stardustdy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:37 pm      Reply with quote
I finally purchased a bottle of Heliocare from the New Zealand site. Like Nimue, I'm afraid to purchase 3 bottles cuz I'm not sure how I'll react to it. If all goes well, I'll order 3 bottles next time.

So guess I'll wait patiently for two weeks for it to arrive. Smile
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
Ocean14 wrote:
Quote:

Hey Bethany!

There really isn't a negative for the supplement. The only real concern for taking daily would be vitamin D deficiency, but IMO this supplement will not have that much effect. Vitamin D is synthesized in our skin from UVB rays and this supplement gives an SPF of around 3. Our body only needs around 400 IU (some say optimal 800 IU but depends on person) of vitamin D and if you already get that from multivitamin or vit D supplement, then I dont see any problem.

Ocean, I already have far lower than normal Vit D levels, and take 5,000ius a day (under doctor supervision)...but I am sure I will still be fine.

I think I'll take it in the summer when the sun is strongest, and then take a break from maybe October through April.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:52 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Ocean, I already have far lower than normal Vit D levels, and take 5,000ius a day (under doctor supervision)...but I am sure I will still be fine.

I think I'll take it in the summer when the sun is strongest, and then take a break from maybe October through April.

Yep that is exactly what I am going to do too!

Its great that you take a vitamin D supplement so you don't have to worry about getting Vit D through the sun. The amount of vitamin D a person requires is dependent on the person's need. The levels that I posted were just general minimal guidelines. In fact, our body can produce up to 15,000 IU with 30 min of sun exposure (in fair skin individuals). So most doctors recommend anywhere from 200 IU up to 10,000 IU.

Keep me posted on how everything goes and thanx again for that info on Remergent Smile
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
Ocean14 wrote:
There are two versions of the heliocare supplement. The U.S. version, the only ingredient is polypodium leucotomus. The other version available abroad has polypodium leucotomus, beta carotene, and green tea extract.

Hmmm...I just realized that version I got from NZ does NOT have all the other goodies in it, darn it. Their webpage said that it only contained the following, but I didn't exactly look at the ingredients before I ordered! Embarassed

Ingredients
P.Laucotomos, corn starch, gelatin, magnesium strearate. Colouring in gelatin coating: Titanium dioxide (E-171), Orange yellow S/Sunset yellow FCF (E-110)
http://www.netpharmacy.co.nz/65/group/842/page/1/style/helioOralCap60/Heliocare+Oral+60+Capsules

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Ocean for all the info. I have melasma and don't go in the sun much but for those times when I do, this might help "some"...

For those in the U.S., my neighbor is a pharmacist at CVS and he checked on whether they have Heliocare there. He said they have access to it..have to special order but can get in a day. Unfortunately, don't know if it's the "newer" formula or not.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
Shelly - Please post if CVS can get it, and at what price. Thanks!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:33 am      Reply with quote
Hey Bethany I got mine from CVS before...it was around 60 dollars. Sorry you didn't get the version you wanted, but personally I like it without the other ingredients. I remember reading somewhere that others didn't like that the abroad version had "synthetic" beta carotene in it so a lot of people order the U.S. version of just the polypodium leuctomus extract instead. Maybe I'll search a little on the internet and find out what concerns their are with synthetic beta carotene.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:51 am      Reply with quote
Heck, I'm just glad that you can even GET a product like this to begin with...any extra stuff in it would have been icing on the cake anyway! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:54 am      Reply with quote
My personal opinion is that it's safer to take beta carotene and other supplements derived from food sources than the synthetic ones. There have been some studies showing slightly increased health risks by taking beta carotene, but as far as I remember, the test persons were taking the synthetic form.

As long as the health authorities recommend eating carrots, broccoli and other vegetables that are rich in beta carotene, I find it hard to believe that it would be harmful to take dried carrot powder that's put into a capsule. Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:12 am      Reply with quote
What kind of health risks are there if taking synthetic beta carotene? What about those in the multivitamins? ...

I guess the Heliocare version without all those extra stuff like beta carotene, green tea, etc... doesn't really matter much. The main ingredient there for sun protection is P.Laucotomos so it's all good Very Happy

Btw, it says to use with sunscreen. Anything that gets past the ss, the Heliocare will take care of it. So I was thinking, if I'm to not apply ss, won't the Heliocare take care of whatever that penetrated thru my skin too? Confused
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:59 am      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
What kind of health risks are there if taking synthetic beta carotene? What about those in the multivitamins? ...

I guess the Heliocare version without all those extra stuff like beta carotene, green tea, etc... doesn't really matter much. The main ingredient there for sun protection is P.Laucotomos so it's all good Very Happy

Btw, it says to use with sunscreen. Anything that gets past the ss, the Heliocare will take care of it. So I was thinking, if I'm to not apply ss, won't the Heliocare take care of whatever that penetrated thru my skin too? Confused

There have been some studies showing that beta carotene increases the risk of lung cancer (and perhaps other forms of cancer) and earlier death among smokers. Smokers are advised not to take beta carotene pills.

Critics of these studies have pointed out that synthetic beta carotene was used in at least the largest study, where Finnish male smokers were followed for many years. You can read more in this link:

http://www.webmd.com/cancer/news/20030722/smoking-beta-carotene-pills-bad-combo

I don't know if there is evidence that beta carotene is harmful for non-smokers, but due to the results from the Finnish study, beta carotene has got a somewhat bad reputation.

Personally, I would not use the synthetic form, but I take green foods supplements that have high contents of beta carotene.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
Septembergirl, is it indicated on a package of supplement, what beta carotene is in - natural or synthetic one?
I`ve never taken these kinds of supplements so forgive my ignorance Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
Do u ladies take this everyday or only on bright sunny days? Since the Heliocare protects mostly from the UVA, cloudy days need to be protected too right?

For example, if u go out to work around 8am and then go out for lunch at noon, then off work home at 5pm... will u take it or mostly for days when u'll be out in the sun for long hrs? Confused

I have been taking Heliocare since last year. I do not spend much time in the sun, and have schedule similar to 8am - lunch - 5pm.

I take Heliocare in summer (not in winter), and usually one capsule in the morning. When I know that I am going to spend more time in the sun, I take two capsules in the morning. I feel that this supplement worth the money.
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
Aiva wrote:
Septembergirl, is it indicated on a package of supplement, what beta carotene is in - natural or synthetic one?
I`ve never taken these kinds of supplements so forgive my ignorance Rolling Eyes

Yes, Aiva, it should be said on the package. Most often the natural beta carotene supplements are derived from algae, broccoli, carrots etc. There should be a complete ingredients list. If not, I would stay away from them.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:28 pm      Reply with quote
mpstat wrote:
Stardustdy wrote:

I have been taking Heliocare since last year. I do not spend much time in the sun, and have schedule similar to 8am - lunch - 5pm.

I take Heliocare in summer (not in winter), and usually one capsule in the morning. When I know that I am going to spend more time in the sun, I take two capsules in the morning. I feel that this supplement worth the money.

Some forum member posted here previously that you take the # of capsules based on your body weight. So if you're under 50kg, 1cap a day is sufficient. If you weigh more than that, 2caps and so fourth... Smile
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:09 pm      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
Aiva wrote:

Yes, Aiva, it should be said on the package. Most often the natural beta carotene supplements are derived from algae, broccoli, carrots etc. There should be a complete ingredients list. If not, I would stay away from them.

thank you! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:46 pm      Reply with quote
Septembergirl, my multivitamin says beta carotene (pro vitamin A)...so is it synthetic or natural? Thanks!
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:58 am      Reply with quote
Stardustdy wrote:
Septembergirl, my multivitamin says beta carotene (pro vitamin A)...so is it synthetic or natural? Thanks!

Hi, Stardusty. It could very well be synthetic. I believe that many of the multi-vitamin complexes are synthetic. It's not necessarily bad if you are a non-smoker, and the dosage is probably low since it's a multi-vitamin complex. There is no clear answer to what is best for your health, but personally I would choose natural supplements.

Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:07 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |