Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
zyggy
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:16 am      Reply with quote
Thank you Kassy for posted your recipe. I'm wondering if adding the ferulic acid will stablize the L Ascorbic acid, at least that is what I've been reading since I saw your recipe posted.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:39 am      Reply with quote
Yes it definitely will stabilize the LAA, and it's a great anti-oxidant to boot.
cawl
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
I am curious about skinactives, so many people have mentioned this website. I checked it out and there are a few ready made products I would like to try. Can anyone comment on their ready made products? I tend to stay with more natural ingredients in my routine but need something to fight those darn nose to mouth lines, maybe the 'lets make collagen' serum? Thanks for any comments.
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
I love skinactives and would highly recommend DMAE(it tightens) and Let's Make collagen. Everything I have gotten from skinactives has been great for my skin. My only regret is that I am just now finding out about it.
Toby

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:41 pm      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
I love skinactives and would highly recommend DMAE(it tightens) and Let's Make collagen. Everything I have gotten from skinactives has been great for my skin. My only regret is that I am just now finding out about it.
Toby

Can you use DMAE aloe or is there a recipe to tighten skin?
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:25 pm      Reply with quote
Blesstd,

My recipe is reaaally simple, that's why I like it! It's just the tetra (long name) vitamin C and rice bran oil. It's 10% of the tetra vitamin C. I also recently added some argan oil to it. You can use any carrier oil that your skin likes. Argan oil is supposed to be great for acne prone skin, it's the latest thing. Rice bran oil is also supposed to be good for acne prone skin, it's rich in vitamin E and highly stable and it's cheap, so that's why I started with rice bran oil.

I don't really recommend using it in the morning. It is an oil, after all. All I use in the morning after cleansing is sunscreen.

blesstd wrote:
KassyA, THANK YOU for this very thorough post on your serum. This is just what I was hoping to learn being that Carekate's recipe was quite some time ago. It's creative that you thought to add the Remergent DNA cream! I am just starting to read-up on the Remergent DNA serum and Barrier cream after seeing it mentioned in that skincare book (I can't remember the name and already returned it to the library but it was discussed on the skincare board.)

Nimue, would you mind sharing your recipe too? When using the tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate in an oil base, do you find it absorbs easily or does it feel oily? I'm just wondering about using it in the morning under my make up.

And then I came across a thread on the Skin Medica Vit C Complex. I guess depending on our individual preferences - cost, convenience, etc. - determines the method we try.

I think I'm on "information overload" Embarassed at the moment.

Many thanks again for sharing your expertise!

5% products discount

Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
thank you ladies! you are all so smart and knowledgeable. i appreciate the helpful info
PinkLyfe
5% products discount

Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
i was a lurker-reader for several years before i made my first post just days ago..... i used to follow carekates postings.

what ever happened to carekate?
last i read, she had a family issue and was busy with that but, she's never returned. how come?

i've always wondered
Thyckecutie
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:43 am      Reply with quote
Can you get all ingredients for Vit C serum from skinactives? Im having trouble finding the amber jars and the propylene glycol from there. Is there any one website that has everything?? I just want to save on shipping. Im just doing the simple serum Pure Vit C, Propylene and distilled water(which I can get from the grocery store of course)
sherryf13500
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
15% Vitamin C Serum, 1oz

1 teaspoon L-Ascorbic Acid
3 teaspoons Distilled Water
1 teaspoon SKB (Sea Kelp Bioferment)
1 teaspoon Remergent DNA cream (You 302 girls, can substitute with your THDA product!)
1/2 vial Ferulic Acid
1/2 capsule of MSM supplement (be sure it's one with NO fillers!)
6 drops of Vitamin E oil

My question is: is this the vitamin c that is oil soluble and is much more stable?
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
No. L-ascorbic acid is the water soluble vitamin C. Most vitamin C serums use this kind of vitamin C. The THDA (Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate) is oil soluble and very stable.

Not to say thatl-ascorbic acid is bad exactly-it's up to you to weigh the pros and cons. HTH!

sherryf13500 wrote:
KASSY WROTE:

"15% Vitamin C Serum, 1oz

1 teaspoon L-Ascorbic Acid
3 teaspoons Distilled Water
1 teaspoon SKB (Sea Kelp Bioferment)
1 teaspoon Remergent DNA cream (You 302 girls, can substitute with your THDA product!)
1/2 vial Ferulic Acid
1/2 capsule of MSM supplement (be sure it's one with NO fillers!)
6 drops of Vitamin E oil"

My question is: is this the vitamin c that is oil soluble and is much more stable?

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:50 am      Reply with quote
Nimue wrote:
Not to say thatl-ascorbic acid is bad exactly

Nimue, just curious - why ascorbic acid is bad?

Here is info from SmartSkincare web site:
"Vitamin C (L-ascorbic acid) is one of the relatively few topical agents whose effectiveness against wrinkles and fine lines is backed by a fair amount of reliable scientific evidence"

http://www.smartskincare.com/treatments/topical/vitamin-c-vitamin-e-ferulic-acid.html

Is it wrong Shock ?

TIA

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:39 pm      Reply with quote
sherry; The recipe I provided has LAA + a small amount of THDAA compliments of the Remergent DNA OR the 303 serum. In my opinion they are more powerful when used together.

Nimue; You are correct about the THDAA being more 'stable'. Unfortunately the stability is what keeps it from penetrating well into the cells where it's needed.

L-Ascorbic Acid is most definitely the most effective form of vitamin C your skin can get. (Just check the studies on PubMed etc.)Combining the two forms, while keeping the PH under 3.5, is the best of both worlds in my opinion.

For those of you making your own serum, just try the recipe I posted. I promise you won't be disappointed. (Just be sure your MSM passes the no filler test though, or leave it out.)
lipstick100
5% products discount

Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:50 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for the recipe. Fantastic thread!

40-something, oily skin, occasional adult acne outbreaks, using tretinoin 0.5%, advocate of facial exercise and sunscreen is my essential #1 product
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:27 pm      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
I love skinactives and would highly recommend DMAE(it tightens) and Let's Make collagen. Everything I have gotten from skinactives has been great for my skin. My only regret is that I am just now finding out about it.Toby

You said it!

Where was all this good stuff and info 20 years ago, when we were basking in the sun, and considered "Noxema" our holy grail.. Bad Grin Bad Grin Bad Grin
Nimue
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:22 pm      Reply with quote
But I didn't say that it's bad! Smile I just said that it's less stable than oil soluble vitamin C, which is true. The relative unstability is a negative though... I've never even tried a vitamin C serum with l-ascorbic acid so I'm just going by what I've read. It's also true that l-ascorbic acid has been documented as an effective anti-ager.

TanyaB wrote:
Nimue wrote:
Not to say thatl-ascorbic acid is bad exactly

Nimue, just curious - why ascorbic acid is bad?

Here is info from SmartSkincare web site:
"Vitamin C (L-ascorbic acid) is one of the relatively few topical agents whose effectiveness against wrinkles and fine lines is backed by a fair amount of reliable scientific evidence"

http://www.smartskincare.com/treatments/topical/vitamin-c-vitamin-e-ferulic-acid.html

Is it wrong Shock ?

TIA

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:49 pm      Reply with quote
So basically its better to use Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate(in place of L-absorbic acid), Propleyne and distilled water for a basic Vit C serum?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
Thyckecutie wrote:
So basically its better to use Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate(in place of L-absorbic acid), Propleyne and distilled water for a basic Vit C serum?

You might want to re read this thread....
Confused

It's "best" to use a combination of the two I believe.........I also believe that if it comes down to a choice of the two, L-Ascorbic Acid is the best choice for really making the most impact on our skin.

L-AA:
Highly degradable ..... Yes
Highly effective and absorbable....... Yes

THDAA:
Highly degradable......NO
Highly effective and absobable ... NO

So now you just have to find a serum that incorporates both LAA + THDAA, in a base that will allow it to penetrate and also keep it more stable.....

HELLO.........I gave you guys the perfect recipe, and it didn't cost you a small fortune..

One of these days you guys will believe "something" I have to say.... Laughing Laughing Laughing ...In the meantime I'll continue to chant my....

HUUUU YAAAAH without ya'll..... Laughing Laughing Laughing
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:36 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:

It's "best" to use a combination of the two I believe.........I also believe that if it comes down to a choice of the two, L-Ascorbic Acid is the best choice for really making the most impact on our skin.

L-AA:

THDAA:

I agree that l-ascorbic is the best choice for anti-aging benefits. It's a problem for manufacturers to make good and stable C serums with L-AA because it oxidizes easily, but I think it's a great choice in DYI-ing because you can make small batches frequently and avoid oxidation.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:48 am      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:
Kassy_A wrote:

L-AA:

THDAA:

I agree that l-ascorbic is the best choice for anti-aging benefits. It's a problem for manufacturers to make good and stable C serums with L-AA because it oxidizes easily, but I think it's a great choice in DYI-ing because you can make small batches frequently and avoid oxidation.

Ok thanks. Thats what I think I will do. I was just a little confused even though I did read the entire thread
mirar07
5% products discount

Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
is it possible to use too much vitamin c?
at first i saw great results but now i'm forming lines in places i've never seen lines before on my face... Confused
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
mirar07 wrote:
is it possible to use too much vitamin c?
at first i saw great results but now i'm forming lines in places i've never seen lines before on my face... Confused

I believe the ideal routine is to apply a serum with 10-15 % vitamin C once a day. If you apply it more often, cut back on the frequency. If the concentration of vitamin C in your serum is stronger, reduce the percentage.

This should not cause lines, but prevent the formation of new lines. HTH. Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:05 am      Reply with quote
Can Vit C benefit from putting it on the body as well?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:30 am      Reply with quote
Thyckecutie wrote:
Can Vit C benefit from putting it on the body as well?

YEP!

VITAMIN C SPRAY FOR BODY

Put 1 tsp of LAA into 2 oz (yields about 8%) of distilled water in a spritz bottle, add a few drops of witch hazel and shake till dissolved... Keep refrigerated, and make a new one once a week.

A little goes a long way so use sparingly. When fully absorbed, apply your moisturizer or sunscreen.

You can add more LAA if you want it stronger, I find the above sufficient without drying me out.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:39 am      Reply with quote
Thyckecutie wrote:

Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate is 'oil' soluble, so somewhere in your formulation you have to have an oil, silicone or emulsifier.

If you want to keep it really simple, you can use "KY Chafing Powder Gel" as the base. I'd also suggest adding the contents of 2 vitamin E gel tabs to it.

Please don't be afraid of L-Ascorbic Acid.. It really is a power house for the skin. You can also use both forms of C together for a very nice 'more' stable formulation.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:20 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |