Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

My Milk of Magnesia Adventure!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
cheezwiz
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:02 pm      Reply with quote
O.K.,

I've been dying to mess around with Milk of Magnesia after reading everyone's comments on it. So I ran to the drugstore and got myself a big bottle of it. I have super oily skin and after only a few hours my makeup starts to slide off (especially on my eyelids). I'm desperate I tell you!!

Once upon a time I bought the smashbox mattifier after being wowed by an in-store makeover. However I fell out of love with it pretty quickly. I haven't bothered with mattifiers since, figuring it was my lot in life to be a shiny refective surface. Cool

I tried a full-face mask of the Magnesia, and it was great! sopped up my oilies, but left my skin nice a soft when rinsed off. I've found that I can't wear a full face of it under my makeup as it leaves chalky white streaks everywhere and flakes off when I apply anything over top.

However, I can get away with spot-applying a very thin layer to my most troublesome spots: bridge of my nose, forehead, chin & eyelids.

It really works, and I prefer not to have a completely matte face anyway. I still have a bit of oily break-through after a few hours, but my makeup seems to last much longer. Best of all my shadows don't slide into my eye-creases. You can also do a sort of "sandwich" and apply a tiny bit more over top of your makeup.

It's been very effective for me, and I will not waste any more $$ on primers or mattifiers!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:30 am      Reply with quote
cheezwiz wrote:
I've found that I can't wear a full face of it under my makeup as it leaves chalky white streaks everywhere and flakes off when I apply anything over top.
I'm glad the MoM worked for you! But you CAN wear it under your makeup, I promise! You just have to apply the thinnest, most sheer layer of it that you can possibly imagine. If that doesn't work, try mixing MoM with a bit of water (1:1 ratio), and apply a thin layer that way. When I say "thin," I mean that you shouldn't even be able to see it on your skin -- it should look like you're rubbing pure water on your face! I do this every morning and after the MoM layer dries, I sweep on a bit of Jurlique Rose Silk Dust, then apply Jane Iredale pressed powder foundation and the rest of my makeup, then sweep on a final layer of Rose Silk Dust and I'm set for the day! So far, I haven't even had to blot once -- although it's not yet "high" summer here in TX. But gave the MoM under your makeup another try....
captain lola
5% products discount

Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:49 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
cheezwiz wrote:
I've found that I can't wear a full face of it under my makeup as it leaves chalky white streaks everywhere and flakes off when I apply anything over top.
I'm glad the MoM worked for you! But you CAN wear it under your makeup, I promise! You just have to apply the thinnest, most sheer layer of it that you can possibly imagine. If that doesn't work, try mixing MoM with a bit of water (1:1 ratio), and apply a thin layer that way. When I say "thin," I mean that you shouldn't even be able to see it on your skin -- it should look like you're rubbing pure water on your face! I do this every morning and after the MoM layer dries, I sweep on a bit of Jurlique Rose Silk Dust, then apply Jane Iredale pressed powder foundation and the rest of my makeup, then sweep on a final layer of Rose Silk Dust and I'm set for the day! So far, I haven't even had to blot once -- although it's not yet "high" summer here in TX. But gave the MoM under your makeup another try....

I'm so happy this is working for you. Shout out to all my sisters in oily skin Very Happy
muzzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:35 am      Reply with quote
That sounds great!! Very Happy
Oh rats, I just order the Smashbox Antishine compact on the weekend, as we have only just had it launched here in Australia and it looked terrific on the TV. I spend all day powdering shine away. Rolling Eyes I havent got it yet, maybe by the end of the week I hope!

What made you fall out of love with it Cheezwhiz? Was it just not as effective as you expected or ( please dont say this!) did it make you break out or something?
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:54 am      Reply with quote
I used to use the Smashbox Antishine (I had both the compact and the stuff in the tube), and wasn’t real thrilled with it. It’s a silicone based product, similar to Jane Iredale’s “Absence,” and I’ve since discovered that silicone products really don’t help much with my particular brand of shine....

To date, in addition to using Decleor Ylang Ylang oil religiously to help regulate the sebum/oil production on my face, I’ve found that applying a thin layer of Milk of Magnesia, then dusting a layer of Jurlique Rose Silk Dust on my face after the Mom dries, before applying my Jane Iredale foundation has worked the best for at controlling shine. Now, most days I don’t need to blot my face until around 3pm in the afternoon – compare that with having to blot by 9am and you can see why I’m satisfied!!
muzzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:37 am      Reply with quote
Wow Carekate, 3pm sounds like a dream come true! I must give Janet Iredale a try too, it seems like a good combination.
Ive got Jurlique's Rose silk dust ( ummm and the lavender one!) and love that too...
Oiliness is so annoying isnt it? Rolling Eyes I always feel like I am grubby or something! ( not though!!)
I dont think we have Philips brand here in Aust but I am sure there would be another equivalent. ( maybe Mylanta? Must look at the ingredient list)
Thanks for that... I'll let you know how I find that Smashbox antishine compact too when it gets here! I must say I didnt realise it was mostly silicone when I picked up that phone and ordered! I cant visualise how that will absorb oil.. we'll see! Smile
cheezwiz
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:06 am      Reply with quote
muzzie wrote:

What made you fall out of love with it Cheezwhiz? Was it just not as effective as you expected or ( please dont say this!) did it make you break out or something?

Muzzie, it seemed to work great during the demo (of course!). But once I got it home and started using it, it just didn't look as nice somehow. No matter how thinly I applied it, it would just sit on top of my skin (and sometimes flake off later in the day).

Maybe you will have more success with it. Milk of Magnesia has the same effect, and can be applied more sheerly. On that note though, I think I need to lay off of it for awhile. I got a little overenthused and sucked my face dry!!! Embarassed
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:16 am      Reply with quote
cheezwiz wrote:
Milk of Magnesia has the same effect, and can be applied more sheerly. On that note though, I think I need to lay off of it for awhile. I got a little overenthused and sucked my face dry!!! Embarassed
Yeah, I found that if I used the MoM as a mask too often, it would – as you so eloquently put it – “suck my face dry” (which then kicked the oil glands back into overdrive) so I stopped using the MoM as a mask and now only apply it as a super-thin layer under my makeup....
cheezwiz
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:12 pm      Reply with quote
Carekate,

Do you find you have any problems with dryness or flaking during the day when you apply a thin layer under makeup?

I'm thinking of diluting MoM with some water and trying that. Full strength it works darn good at warding off shiny oilies, but I was looking like an inflamed raisin after a couple of days!
Wink
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:57 am      Reply with quote
No, no problems with dryness or flaking at all, and – like you – even though my skin is super oily, it can also be really sensitive and get red and flaky, especially the area right around my nose, but I haven’t had any problems with mixing half MoM with half water (I use distilled water, but tap water will do!) and applying it in a thin layer as my makeup “primer/mattifier” – it works better than all of the other high dollar products that I’ve tried!!

My suggestion: cut back on using the MoM as a mask (i.e.: applying thick layer and letting it dry before rinsing) to maybe 2-3 times per week or less, and instead use the thin layer of diluted MoM under your makeup on a daily basis. This will give you all the benefits without all the dryness!
System
Automatic Message
Mon May 13, 2024 8:08 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Omega 3+ and Amalaki Night Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |