Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Diagnosis Skincare
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
callalily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:00 am      Reply with quote
I am trying to figure out if I have rosacea. These are my symptoms/evidence:

I flush when I eat spicy foods or drink alcohol in basically any quantity. (this is recent)
I flush when I'm in the cold or embarassed. (i've always blushed at the drop of a hat)
I think I'm getting little broken capillaries.

Lately I get these weird red dots on my cheeks. I can't decide if they are little pimples or rosacea pimples. I squeeze them and a little bit of white material comes out. Keeping in mind I never usually get pimples on my cheek (only chin and nose). Skin is a but rough to the touch. I am very very fair and therefor prone to rosacea. Background is german/icelandic and probably irish or scottish.

If any of you would like to play Dr.House and give me a diagnosis and maybe an Rx I would very much appreciate it. Wink
I know some members of this board have Rosacea. When did yours start? Who diagnosed you? What treatment do you use?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:14 pm      Reply with quote
Hi.
Your skin sounds somewhat like mine. I blush and flush easily when getting embarrassed or eating spicy foods. If it gets really bad, I get "chronic" redness, extremely dry skin and pustules.

I have never bothered to figure out whether I suffer from mild rosacea or eczema or whatever though because I now manage to keep it under control.

I find vitamin C serum to be quite helpful. It's a potent antioxidant that is known to strengthen capillaries and cell walls, hence reducing flushing and decreasing the risk of broken capillaries (along with providing antioxidant protection against UV-rays and stimulating collagen synthesis.)

Another great ingredient is caffeine. In Dr Baumann's latest post onwww.skinguru.com (Thanks to GirlieGirl who posted it on another thread!), she speaks warmly of caffeine's ability to constrict blood vessels and minimize facial flushing (see above).

I think that coffee berry might have some of the same abilities. For the last couple of months I have been using Revaleskin Coffee Berry Cream on top of my vitamin C serum. When I came to think of it, my face has been very calm and "flush-free" during that time.

Quote:

For years caffeine's ability to quickly and effectively constrict blood vessels has made it a valued topical ingredient, particularly in products designed to minimize facial flushing. For that reason, caffeine can be a tremendous boon to those who suffer from rosacea, which is essentially caused by frequently dilated blood vessels that lose their ability to contract. La Roche Posay Rosaliac products, for example, are a great anti-inflammatory option for anyone who suffer from rosacea or facial redness. Topix Replenix CF Anti-Photoaging Complex SPF 45 is another excellent, well-rounded product that offers a blend of powerful antioxidants, caffeine, and sunscreen.

http://health.yahoo.com/experts/skintype/14890/caffeine-prevents-skin-cancer/;_ylt=AivPsI8rN1j5TkO0k7vkZZvd1IZ4

Best,
Dr House. Smile

PS. I am sure there are other "docs" on here with more experience on treating rosacea.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:28 pm      Reply with quote
My sister has it, from my observations; she has thin & pale skin which obviously makes it more noticeable. I guess people with visible red tiny veins in their face are prone to rosacea. She once used to have clear pearly white skin until she got chicken pox or varicella, and after that, came rosacea. She blames the chickenpox for her rosacea.
harriet
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
I was diagnosed with rosacea by a dermatologist. I also have the English Scottish background. I am 57 and have some broken capillaries, called tengeldia (not sure how to spell it on my cheeks under my eyes, nose and chin. I get some swelling on the sides of my nostrils when I drink alcohol or eat sweets but it goes away when I don't. I don't get the pustules, thankfully. She told me it is largely genetic but it can be aggravated by alcohol, spicy food, saunas etc. I am going to try Dr H. rhythmic balancing for sensitive skin. I know when I use very mild products it is much better. When I saw her I had been using a glycolic lotion and she said it had thinned the skin and brought the veins more to the surface. This has improved since I stopped. Can share more if you are interested.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
I am interested in hearing more, harriet. Please share!
callalily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
That makes sense actually. Your symptoms are concurrent with mine. I think I may have thinned the skin using alpha beta peels. Embarassed I agree that my skin can't usually tolerate more agressive treatment. I'd love to hear more of your experience Harriet:!: If I may ask what did the derm give you as far as Rx Question
and thanks for the input everyone, much appreciated.
Right now I think I might be best going to see a derm in the next month and treat it as recommended.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:01 pm      Reply with quote
Baumann says to stay away from C

"Vitamin C in its topical form may also cause redness. Consume this excellent antioxidant orally instead, and stick to topical antioxidants like green tea and coenzyme Q10."

I think I'll still use it despite this. I'll be a little more gentle with my exfoliant however.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:26 am      Reply with quote
Does sound like it could be rosacea. But you could have also developed an allergic reaction to a product you are using. I had some symptoms similar to yours and it turn out I was allergic to a product I had been using.
sbb820
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
I think you might be in the endocrine disorders, should eat more fruits and vegetables
bciw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:31 pm      Reply with quote
Septembergirl wrote:

I think that coffee berry might have some of the same abilities. For the last couple of months I have been using Revaleskin Coffee Berry Cream on top of my vitamin C serum. When I came to think of it, my face has been very calm and "flush-free" during that time.

Coincidentally, there's a topic on coffeberrys:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=29597
callalily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:39 am      Reply with quote
One of my aunts has thyroid problems. I'll bring it up with my doctor at my next visit. Just curious - do thyroid symptoms present themselves as flushing? I'm guessing through that logic I would have hypo-thyroidism. Over active thyroid, I'm not particularly skinny though.
I agree I should eat more veg and fruit, if I look at my health holistically. I do take anti-depressants. I do believe these can affect the skins function...Some people report greater incidence of acne on certain anti-depressants. Anyway, thank everyone for piping in. Much appreciated.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
I've had rosacea for 15 years or so. The derm prescribed Metrocream for me. It really helped with the pustules. I never had a lot of redness just around my nose. The derm said I thinned my skin with retin-a, and harsh products. I now use sunscreen and very gentle products. Over the years I've become sensitive to many products, and have a hard time trying different things. It's just a pain.
harriet
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
Hi. Thanks for your responses Rileygirl and Callalily. Sorry to take a bit to reply. I had been using Dr Denese products which each contain quite a few ingredients, glycolic acid (I think 10%), peptides, alpha lipoic acid etc. The determatologist said the glycolic acid had brought the veins to the surface...at least that is how I understood what she said. So I now had more spider veins on my cheeks, not what I had wanted. Re treatment she suggested a laser, not sure but think it was the IPL one, a series of treatments done by one of her nurses, over a period of several weeks and then maintenance. She said she has it done herself. At that time I had to have a second dental procedure to correct a poor job done by my dentist of many years. The whole thing cost several thousand dollars and was very painful. So this made me think about how invasive I wanted to be and I decided to just try milder products and creams. I got scared about the laser and possible negative outcomes after the first bad dental procedure. I am thinking I'd like to have a thread on the topic of how far people are willing to go and how they make their decisions. I have read many people's posts and they often involve deciding what to do, which actives, organic, etc. and avoiding negative effects like sagging, pigmentation, inflammation.
callalily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
I think that's a good idea Harriet! I've seen some good results from IPL. If you read online you can see some really positive reviews and also some very negative ones. I think anything can go wrong in the hands of a poor practition. There is a doctor where I live who's results look awesome!
Check out Joanna Day on a google search. Her before and afters morph and it looks cool.
I guess I better cool it with my beloved Alpha Beta Peels. I guess it's good I'm on Diane to control my acne if glycolic and BHA are out of the question... Durnn. I'd love to hear more Rosacea experiences as I maybe have a chance to circumvent some of the damage.

Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:26 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |