Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

*~~~~~~~DIY skincare recipe & discussion thread~~~~~~~~*
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Mabsy

Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
As requested, I am starting a thread in which members can post their do-it-yourself skincare recipes. This way all the recipes will be in one place rather than distributed all over the skincare and product reviews forums.

Edited on 11th June 2005, to add:

Please note that the same warnings apply to these DIY recipies as to other products. If you are allergic to any of the ingredients then you should NOT be attempting to make/use the product. It also goes without saying that you may have different results from other people.

Edited 16 April 2009 to add updated: Direct index to recipes in this discussion thread and elsewhere on the forum
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:50 am      Reply with quote
Homemade Vitamin C Serum:

• 1/4 teaspoon of Lysorbic Acid (Vit-C) powder or crysals
• 5 ml distilled water
• 5 ml of propylene glycol (glycerin can be used instead, but I'd only recommend it for those with dry skin!)
• small amber or dark blue glass bottle

Put all of the ingredients in the little blue or amber bottle (need to wash it out thoroughly each time before mixing a new batch), replace cap/lid, and shake vigorously then let sit for a couple of hours, coming back to shake the bottle again every hour or so because it can take a little while for the Vit-C to solubulize.

If you really want to make your Vit-C serum with glycerin, you can usually find small bottles of it in the first-aid section of most pharmacies or supermarkets. Personally, I prefer using the propylene glycol – the consistency of my serum turned out even *better* than the CSRx version!!! When I made the serum using glycerin instead of PG, I found it to be too “greasy” for my liking (remember, I have hyper-oily skin!) and it caused me to have to blot my face even more often than usual, but this new batch has left me having to blot LESS often that usual, so I definitely think I’ve got a winner here!!

FYI - I ordered my propylene glycol from this website: http://www.thepersonalformulator.com/ and this is the link to the brand of Vit-C crystals that I bought at my local Whole Foods: http://amos.shop.com/cc.amos?main=catalog&prd=18010344&_x_=SouthNatural-NUTRICOLOGY-PURE-VITAMIN-C-ASCORBIC-POWDER-120-GM&ccsyn=260&pcd=11927518&ccsid=372971285-18619&_ccn_test=1.

Please note: You have to be careful when buying Vit-C though, because there's a 100 different types: unbuffered, Vit-C crystals with additional additives, Vit-C crystals that are sugared and flavored that you mix with water into a drink...basically you just need to read the label to be sure it's 100% pure lysorbic acid with no additional ingredients. They also have the Vit-C in powdered form, but apparently the crystals are more "soluable."
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:55 am      Reply with quote
Recipe for CareKate’s homemade ACV Super Toner:

What you’ll need:

• Apple Cider Vinegar • Clean, empty 8 ounce glass or plastic bottle
• Green Tea • Distilled water (tap water is okay, but distilled is better!)
• Ylang Ylang essential oil (or any other essential oil of your choice)
• Lemon essential oil

What you do:

• Fill bottle 1/3 full of ACV (may increase or decrease amount of vinegar to suit your own skin type, add more for oilier skin and less for dry skin.

• Heat 2/3 cup of distilled water and bring to boil, then add 3-4 green tea bags (you want to make the tea solution REALLY strong!!) and let it steep for 30 minutes or longer, then remove teabags. Once the green tea has cooled completely, pour into bottle with ACV (do not fill bottle completely full because you'll need room to add the Ylang Ylang and/or other EOs).

• Add 12 drops of Ylang Ylang essential oil to bottle (if your skin-type is not oily, simply add less Y-Y oil or leave it out altogether) and 12 drops of Lemon essential oil.

Twice daily, after cleansing face as normal, put some toner on a cotton pad and gently swipe over your face and neck (if you prefer, you can use a spray bottle and spray the toner directly onto your face). Followup with your regular serums and/or moisturizer.

I'm using simple, "grocery-store" ACV (look in the condiment/salad dressing aisle) which costs less than $1.00USD for 16 ounces, but you can buy more 'exotic' apple cider vinegars from health food stores such as Bragg’s Unfiltered ACV.

Likewise, I bought my green tea at the supermarket (make sure you get one that is 100% green tea with no additional ingredients/flavors added), a box of 20 tea bags for around $3.00USD. Distilled water is available at the supermarket in the bottled water aisle for around 75¢ per gallon. Ylang Ylang essential oil is available at health food stores (I got mine at Whole Foods for about $7.99 for an 8- ounce bottle).

Hint: If you're hoping to find it cheaper on Ebay or something, make sure that the Y-Y oil is stored in an amber or dark-blue glass bottle, because essential oils can be degraded by direct sunlight like from a clear glass bottle.

FYI: You can customize the above recipe to fit your skin’s specific needs simply by adding a couple of drops of the essential oils that are recommended for your skin type. Click on this link for a guide to essential oils and their use/benefits in skincare: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5922&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Here are some of the benefits of ACV toner:

• helps even out skin tone
• smoothes out your skin's texture
• helps minimizes the size and appearance of pores
• dries up and reduces redness from breakouts almost over night
• helps regulate oil production
• impart's to your skin "a radiant glow."

~~~ UPDATED 10.June.05 to add the following: ~~~

I apologize if I didn’t make it clear in my ACV toner recipe post that each person can customize the recipe to fit the needs of their own particular skin-type by using the essential oils of their choice. Ylang Ylang oil can be substituted for any other essential oil that you wish, or you don’t have to put any Y-Y oil in your toner at all. I chose to include Ylang Ylang oil and Lemon oil because A) I’ve got seriously oily skin, and B) They smell fantastic and help “cancel” out the (distinctive) smell of the vinegar itself. If you don’t know which essential oils are good for your skin type or skin challenges/problems, consult this link where I posted a brief outline of many of the most frequently used essential oils: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5922&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

The same goes for the green tea. They are not absolutely necessary to include in your toner. You can make a very basic ACV toner just using apple cider vinegar and water in the ratio that works for your skin (i.e.: drier skins would use more water and less ACV, oilier skins would use more ACV and less water, if your skin is normal, you might try half and half). You’re not going to get the ratio exactly right the first time you make it. You’ll have to pour out a smidge of vinegar and add more water, or vice versa, until you get it just right for your particular skin.

I hope this helps clear up the confusion....

UPDATED 06/21/05 to add:

For those of you who love the tingle of minty products, try adding 2-3 drops of peppermint essential oil to your next batch of toner (or Dr. H Cleansing Cream or Aspirin Mask). Not only does make your face feel all tingly and clean, but peppermint oil helps treat dull or congested skin and acne, but it also helps reduce inflammation and treat broken capillaries!! I just love it when I can multi-task.... Very Happy

UPDATED 10/21/05 to *delete* Vit-C crystals from list of ingredients Also, if you have sensitive skin, try brewing up a very strong batch of *chamomile* tea and use it in lieu of, or in addition to, the green tea. Chamomile is known for it’s soothing and calming properties and I have personally found using a 50-50 mix of green and chamomile tea in my toner helps calm redness and irritation!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:01 am      Reply with quote
Recipe for homemade version of Dr. Hauschka’s Cleansing Cream:

What you'll need:

• Fresh, whole almonds
• Coffee grinder, blender or food processor (to make almond meal)
• Small, airtight container
• Oil of your choice (grapeseed, olive, jojoba, castor, sweet almond, etc)
• Witch hazel (alcohol-free, if you can find it!)
• Ylang Ylang essential oil (optional)
• Lysorbic acid (aka: Vitamin C) powder or crystals

What you do:

To make a one-month supply (give or take), finely grind about 150 almonds* in your grinder/blender or food processor. Put the resulting almond meal in your airtight container and gradually drizzle in between 1-3 teaspoons of oil, and ½ teaspoon of Witch Hazel and stir/mix well. Keep adding additional oil until your mixture reaches the desired consistency -- you want it to be a nice, thick paste (remember, when you apply it, you add water to make it "spreadable" on your face). If you add too much oil (like I did the first time!), simply stir a bit more almond meal to thicken it back up. Likewise, if your mixture is too thick, then add a few more drops of oil. That's it! Put the lid on your container and you've now got your homemade Dr. H Cleansing Cream.

If desired, you can add additional ingredients that are beneficial for your particular skintype. I have hyper-oily skin, so I chose to add a few (7-10) drops of Ylang Ylang essential oil (not only good for helping to control regulate oil production, but makes my CC smell yummy!!) and a teaspoon of lysorbic acid crystals.

Other possible add-ins:
• Lavendar essential oil (calms redness)
• Teatree oil (antiseptic properties, good for break-out prone skin)
• Check-out the essential oil guide for more ideas: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5922&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

I'm sure there are dozens of other possibilities, but those are the ones that immediately come to mind. Research some of the various essential oils to find out what kind of properties they have in terms of skincare and just experiment. The great thing about this homemade cleansing cream is that if you mix up a batch with add-in ingredients that you don't like, it won't break the bank if you decide to dump it out and start over again!

You can use your homemade CC twice daily, if desired. But if you wear makeup, don't forget to remove your makeup with an actual cleanser/makeup remover *before* you apply the cleansing cream as it is not meant to remove makeup.

I keep my homemade cleansing cream on my bathroom counter...it does *not* have to be refrigerator, although Winnie said that after putting her homemade CC in the fridge, the next time she used it, it smelled exactly like the real Dr. Hauschka CC so if you're a fan of the yeasty smell, be my guest! I store mine in a little tupperware-type of container; I'm not sure how much the container actually holds, but it's about the size of a small baby-food jar, if that helps give you an idea....

*Note: my coffee-grinder only allows me to grind 12 almonds at a time, so it takes a little while to make the almond meal. Therefore, if you choose, you can grind up your entire batch of almonds at one time, and then just store the excess in an airtight container in your freezer until it's time to make a new batch of cleansing cream....
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:37 am      Reply with quote
Homemade Lip Scrub/Exfoliant:

I mix a little finely crushed, uncoated aspirin (salicyic acid) with a little white granulated sugar (glycolic acid), a bit of jojoba oil for moisture and a touch of glycerin for "slip." I mix it well and put it in a little jar, then added about 5 drops of Cinnamon Leaf oil (the active ingredient in "Lip Venom" which causes the blood to rush to the surface of your lips to impart that red, bee-stung look). I use this to exfoliate my lips once or twice daily and since I've been doing this, I've found that any lip product (i.e.: lip balm, lip liner, lipstick, lip gloss, etc) goes on much smoother and stays on longer.

Geez, am I the only one who makes my own skincare products?? Embarassed We need to at least get Diderot to post her homemade avocado oil lip balm recipe....
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:41 am      Reply with quote
Recipe for Homemade Decleor Ylang Ylang Aromessence Oil (holy grail product for controlling sebum production for those with super-oily skin):

• 1 Oz. Kukui Nut Oil
• 6 Drops Ylang Ylang Oil
• 3 Drops Lavendar or Geranium Oil
• 2 Drops Bay Leaf Oil
• 1 Drop Rosemary Oil

Mix it up in an Amber Glass Bottle and Make Sure to Shake it up Before Each Use!

For those of you who have had luck with Decleor Ylang Ylang Aromessence, I have found this to be a great cheap replacement. You can substitute the Kukui Nut Oil with Hazelnut Oil If you like, but it must be refrigerated and made in very small batches as the shelf life is not very long. I chose Kukui Nut Oil to replace it for preservative purposes, and find it works just as well. If you are pregnant or breast feeding, do not use the Rosemary Oil...it can be toxic to babies. I replace Geranium Oil with Lavendar Oil in this recipe when I make it simply because I have it on hand, but geranium oil may be used in place of the lavendar for a product more similar to Decleor.

Again, there are many other essential oils that are very good at helping to regulate sebum production, so don't forget to check out the essential oil guide at this link: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5922&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:12 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for setting it up Mabsy.... I think it's pretty cool....
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:21 am      Reply with quote
Recipe for homemade TendSkin (note: this recipe was originally posted by a member on MUA, although it has since disappeared...I don't know who the original author is, but it wasn't me!):

What you need:

Uncoated aspirin
70% alcohol
Witch Hazel
A measuring cup/bottle
2 bottles used to shake mixtures
1 8oz or more bottle/container to keep finished product

What you do:

1. Pour 5.5oz of 70% alcohol into one bottle.
2. Drop 18 uncoated aspirins into the alcohol. Cap bottle and shake.
3. Pour 2.5oz of witch hazel into the second bottle.
4. Drop 8 uncoated aspirins into the witch hazel. Cap bottle and shake.
5. Wait awhile (30 minutes to a whole day) for the aspirins to dissolve in the liquids. Shake periodically to help dissolve aspirin and mix. NOTE: not all of the aspirin will dissolve. That’s ok- some of it never will.
6. Now combine both the alcohol and witch hazel mixtures together into one bottle. Make sure you shake it up before you pour them out so you also get the aspirin residue into the new bottle.

This last bottle is your Tendskin! Use 1-2 a day. Reduce usage if you experience dryness or flaking or irritation. DO NOT USE IF YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO ASPIRIN. Make sure you shake it well before each use.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:55 am      Reply with quote
Homemade Hints for Hair Care:

Itchy/flaky scalp: Add 25 drops of 100% pure Tea Tree Oil and 15 drops of Peppermint essential oil and 5 drops of Rosemary essential oil to a bottle of your fave shampoo and shake well to make a homemade version of Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree Special Shampoo at a fraction of the cost. You can also add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, which helps kill the yeast that causes some forms of dandruff.

To remove styling product buildup: you can create your own clarifying shampoo by adding a couple tablespoons of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice (this will also help enhance any blond highlights in your hair!) to any bottle of shampoo. The result: super-shiny, squeaky clean hair with no more product buildup! Note: you can also add the ACV or lemon juice to your fave conditioner, as well.

To prevent hair color from fading: you can create your own "color-safe" shampoo and/or conditioner by adding a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to any bottle of shampoo or conditioner to prevent your expensive, salon-color from fading too fast (especially hair that is dyed red!). It prevents hair dye from fading because hair dyes are alkaline and the ACV is acidic, so it helps seal the cuticle by normalizing the PH balance of your hair!

And if you're hesitant to try adding ACV to your shampoo or conditioner because you worry about the smell, I promise that your hair is *not* going to smell like a salad -- you can actually hardly smell the ACV in your shampoo because it's usually masked the the fragrance in most typical shampoos, and even then, once you rinse the shampoo from your hair, the smell is gone anyway.

To add body & shine: Mix a tablespoon (may need more for longer hair) of your fave deep conditioner with an equal amount of pure honey (scoop out the amount of conditioner you need, then add a squeeze of honey and rub it between your palms to "emulsify" it) and apply it evenly to your hair, and leave in for the desired amount of time, then rinse with cool or lukewarm water and style as usual. Honey is a natural moisturizer and humectant, so when it's mixed with a deep conditioner, somehow it makes it even more effective and nourishing for your hair, and it also helps impart an incredible glossy shine (even before I apply my beloved Aveda Brilliant Universial Styling Creme!) and during styling, somehow it pumps up the hair shaft to give you incredible volume and body....

Deep Conditioning Treatment: Mix a couple tablespoons of olive oil (for super-long hair, you might need as much as a 1/4 cup) with an equal amount of honey and work it through your hair. Put on your "moist heat" cap or the shower cap/heated towel trick and leave it on for at least 60 minutes (over night is even better!) then wash the mixture out of your hair with a gentle shampoo.

Prevent Oily Hair and Scalp: Add 30 drops of Clary Sage oil to your fave bottle of shampoo and/or conditioner to help control the production of sebum (oil), and to help fight dandruff.

Promote Hair Growth: Add 30 drops of Rosemary essential oil to your fave bottle of shampoo and/or conditioner to help stimulate the scalp, promote hair growth and/or help fight dandruff or seborrhea.
diderot
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:16 am      Reply with quote
Carakate, thanks for taking the time to type out all the great recipes, here is my contribution, but my recipes are not that precisely measured, I improvise a lot....

Homemade recipe for avocado lip balm, here is what you need :
Pure avocado oil
Beeswax or Candelilla wax (vegatable wax)
Essential oil (not a must), but I like putting sweet orange oil and lavender oil in, these 2 scent mix well and calms me down. If you like minty taste, you can of course put peppermint oil.

Boil ABOUT 1 tablespoon of avocado oil and 1 small teaspoon of wax, once they are melt together, you can let it cool, I usually gently TOUCH the slightly cooled mixture with my finger tip, it will solidify in a few secs on your finger tip, see if you like the consistency, try it on your lip. Then, I add my essential oil to lukewarm mixture, stirr well, pour into an empty lipbalm tube.

** More wax in the mixture will make the lipbalm stays on your lips better.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:26 am      Reply with quote
Homemade recipe for Oil Treatment/Mask for Chemically-Processed/Ridiculously Dry and Frizzy Hair

You need :
100% Shea butter (almost solid)
100% Wheat germ oil (smells really bad, at least to me, but hey, it works Wink )
Essential oil (again, not a must), but I like to put in Sandalwood oil for it's good for the hair too and it kinda help covering the wheat germ smell.

Boil them together half and half, always add the essential oil AFTER the mixture is cooled down a bit, pour them into a pump bottle, put it on DRY and shampooed/unshampooed hair(for lazy people like me). Leave it on for as long as you can, I usually leave it on and put my hair up in a pony for the whole day. Wash your hair(DON'T use clarifying shampoo that day), condition as usual.

You should be able to see the difference, It HEALS my damaged hair, I could exfoliate my feet with my hair last month, NOT ANYMORE.

Also, it's great and hands and feet too.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:39 am      Reply with quote
Homemade Sleeping Potion for insomniac like me.

You need :
100% pure lavender essential oil
100% pure majoram wild essential oil

Mix them together (half and half), put it in a dropper glass bottle.

Put 5 drops of the mixture on the top of your head, massage in slightly, you will want to hit the bed sooner than you think.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:46 am      Reply with quote
Homemade DETOX Ocean Bath for imperfections on your body.

what you need :
Non-iodized natural sea salt
Essential oil (not a must)

Get some pure "sea salt", you can find them in any supermarket or natural food stores, get the non-iodized one, which means it's made from vaporized sea water, nothing added. I got one of those paper cylindrical box 26oz for $1-2. Pour HALF of the it into your tub of warm-to-hot water, not too hot, so you can stay in longer. Half the box of salt may sound too much, but I lick my wet hand, they are not even as salty as ocean water. I usually add my own essential oil, lemon for cleansing and Juniper Berry for draining my lymphatic system, but they are not a must for this problem.

Soak for about 30 mins, I can't promise you all the bumps will be gone immediately, but you should be able to FEEL the difference. For me, either they are gone or they are significantly flatten immediately after one sea salt bath.

I guess this lighter version of ocean water minus all the pollution, either detox, decongest or re-mineralize my skin, whatever it was, it took away ALL the imperfections on my body after 3 baths, it even took care of the annoying tiny flesh bump on my neck (told by my friend it was due to hormonal change and many people have it).

**Dry brushing is not recommended before this ocean bath and don't do this if you have OPEN WOUNDS, it might burn.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:57 am      Reply with quote
You girls rock!!!

I hope we can get this thread going so Mabsy can make it a sticky so it's easy to find.

Thanks so much!!!!

Blue
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:36 am      Reply with quote
Carekate -- those hair recipes look fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing.
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:37 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you so much for the time taken to share all these great recipes with us!!! AWESOME

Winnie
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:54 am      Reply with quote
Yes, thanks Carekate Very Happy . I'd already saved half of these for later reference, but this is useful.
Maybe we could do some FAQs too on regular questions; like which Vit C. and How to deal with oily skin, etc.
kayanl
5% products discount

Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, I've been a long time lurker and I've noticed that many people have had problems with breakouts with the homemade DHCC. I've figured out that this is due to the carrier oil because a carrier oil should not be necessary! The problem is that just using a coffee grinder to grind the almonds is not enough to release the oils in the almonds which forms an emulsion with water (this is the secret cleansing agent). After grinding the almonds mechanically, they need to be grounded further with a mortar and pestle until the almond solids form a " slightly dehydrated mashed potatoes" like paste with it's own oils. You should be able to sculpt with the paste (much like mashed potatoes). Smile Once you reach this stage, add water and any other essential oils that you desire. Smoosh everything together REALLY well and scoop the mixture out into whatever container you're using. The consistency should be like DHCC and the "yeasty" smell should develop as soon as water is added.

Here's the basic almonds:water ratio:
12 almonds: 5-9 mL of water

I just made a batch today and took some pictures to help describe what I've been babbling about. I'll have them posted later tonight.
kayanl
5% products discount

Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
Here's a recipe for Dr. H's Lip Balm
(please note that all percentages are given by weight)
Castor Oil - 25%
Jojoba Oil - 20%
Beeswax - 10%
Shea Butter - 15%
Candelilla Wax - 10%
Sweet Almond Oil 15%
Apricot Kernel Oil - 5%
Essential oils, flavorings, and other additives
1. Heat everything except the optional additives until the waxes melt (about 90 degrees C).

2. Remove from heat and quickly add your essential oils and other stuff, stir rapidly to disperse the ingredients.

3. Pour into containers quickly before the mixture starts to solidify. Refrigerate.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:25 am      Reply with quote
I like the ACV toner I make it with Bigalow mint green tea (10 tea bags per cup of water) feels refreshing.

Face Prep:

Linoleic Acid or linoleic acid plus ethanol applied to the face 20 minutes before your skin cream will increase the penetration of the active ingredients (this is used in many studies as a standard in comparing the efficacy of liposomes). Grapeseed oil is over 70% linoleic acid. It is also useful for cooking at high temps as it is stable above 400F.

Take 1T grapeseed oil warm in micro (15 sec)
Add 1teasp high proof clear alcohol(or 70% ethanol from the drug store.

Whip with a fork into a nice emulsion.

Best used before a nighttime warm bath. Apply with your finger tips should be warm not hot, use the leftover to rub into your hands. After 20 minutes whip your face clean and apply your nightime preparations. If you have oily skin wash it off with a normal cleanser if you have dry skin I'd just put in an emulsifier (lecithin or a combo see the Personal Formulator)and wipe it off.

That Biochemistry of Beauty site is fabulous it gives the physical properties of all sorts of ingredients and where to ge them cheapest along with many, many recipes.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:46 am      Reply with quote
kayanl wrote:
Hi, I've been a long time lurker and I've noticed that many people have had problems with breakouts with the homemade DHCC. I've figured out that this is due to the carrier oil because a carrier oil should not be necessary! The problem is that just using a coffee grinder to grind the almonds is not enough to release the oils in the almonds which forms an emulsion with water (this is the secret cleansing agent). After grinding the almonds mechanically, they need to be grounded further with a mortar and pestle until the almond solids form a " slightly dehydrated mashed potatoes" like paste with it's own oils. You should be able to sculpt with the paste (much like mashed potatoes). Smile Once you reach this stage, add water and any other essential oils that you desire. Smoosh everything together REALLY well and scoop the mixture out into whatever container you're using. The consistency should be like DHCC and the "yeasty" smell should develop as soon as water is added.

12 almonds: 9 mL of water

I just made a batch today and took some pictures to help describe what I've been babbling about. I'll have them posted later tonight.
You know, I actually noticed that if I ground my almond in the coffee grinder too long, that they would start to get kinda mushy/oily, but it didn’t dawn on me that it was the nuts natural oils coming out! But then again, I haven’t had any of the breakout problems that some of the others have reported so I would guess that the usage of a carrier oil doesn’t bother my skin – but maybe it’s because I add the Ylang Ylang oil to mine? Could that ‘cancel out’ the problems caused by the carrier oil?

Anyway, when I make my next batch, I’m going to incorporate your suggestion and leave out the grapeseed oil and just use the almonds’ natural oils to ‘bind’ the mixture instead – although I *do* want to add a couple drops of lemon essential oil, as not only is it good to help regulate oil production, but it also acts as a gentle exfoliant. *Rubs hands together* I can hardly wait to get started!!

BTW, for any of you interested in assembling a collection of essential oils, I’ve been browsing online and have found that there is a SIGNIFICANT difference in prices for the exact same brand/product. So far, the best prices of found overall (i.e.: buying several different oils from the same place, rather than buying one oil here and another over there) is on this site: http://www.aroma-pure.com/ (and they’re w-a-y cheaper than buying from Whole Foods, even when you tack on the price for postage!!). I’ve already compiled my must-have list of essential oils and come payday, I’ll be buying everything and then I’ll *really* be ready to get down to the business of DIY skincare!!

Thanks for the advice!
Carrie

P.S. What about the witch hazel? I believe it was Edenfield who said that the real Dr H CC has witch hazel in it, so would we still add that or should the WH be used in lieu of the water?
kayanl
5% products discount

Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:28 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
kayanl wrote:

12 almonds: 9 mL of water

You know, I actually noticed that if I ground my almond in the coffee grinder too long, that they would start to get kinda mushy/oily, but it didn’t dawn on me that it was the nuts natural oils coming out! But then again, I haven’t had any of the breakout problems that some of the others have reported so I would guess that the usage of a carrier oil doesn’t bother my skin – but maybe it’s because I add the Ylang Ylang oil to mine? Could that ‘cancel out’ the problems caused by the carrier oil?

Anyway, when I make my next batch, I’m going to incorporate your suggestion and leave out the grapeseed oil and just use the almonds’ natural oils to ‘bind’ the mixture instead – although I *do* want to add a couple drops of lemon essential oil, as not only is it good to help regulate oil production, but it also acts as a gentle exfoliant. *Rubs hands together* I can hardly wait to get started!!

BTW, for any of you interested in assembling a collection of essential oils, I’ve been browsing online and have found that there is a SIGNIFICANT difference in prices for the exact same brand/product. So far, the best prices of found overall (i.e.: buying several different oils from the same place, rather than buying one oil here and another over there) is on this site: http://www.aroma-pure.com/ (and they’re w-a-y cheaper than buying from Whole Foods, even when you tack on the price for postage!!). I’ve already compiled my must-have list of essential oils and come payday, I’ll be buying everything and then I’ll *really* be ready to get down to the business of DIY skincare!!

Thanks for the advice!
Carrie

P.S. What about the witch hazel? I believe it was Edenfield who said that the real Dr H CC has witch hazel in it, so would we still add that or should the WH be used in lieu of the water?

Depending on your personal needs, you should incorporate witch hazel in your recipe. You could replace all of the water or just a portion. I myself omit the witch hazel because it makes my skin feel too dry. What I posted was just a basic recipe for the cream "base", people should feel free to load their recipe up with whatever essential oils they want.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:16 am      Reply with quote
What is the difference in the Ylang Ylang essential oils? The Personal Formulator sells
the oil for significantly cheaper than the site listed above but it is probably not the #1
from only certain parts? How much of a difference does this make?
coosi
5% products discount

Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:00 pm      Reply with quote
Great thread, thanks Very Happy
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:55 am      Reply with quote
sharky wrote:
What is the difference in the Ylang Ylang essential oils? The Personal Formulator sells the oil for significantly cheaper than the site listed above but it is probably not the #1 from only certain parts? How much of a difference does this make?
There’s probably not any difference – as I said, you can find huge price variations on the different sites that sell essential oils. If you’re only interested in buying one or two oils, then buy it from whomever has the best price on those oils that you’re interested in! But if you’re wanting to buy almost an entire collection of all the oils, then thewww.aroma-pure.com appears to have the best price for “bulk” buying. But I have bought from “The Personal Formulator” before and they’re stuff is extremely high quality...although they charge an arm and a leg ($8 minimum!) for shipping, so unless you’re going to buy a bunch of other stuff from them, it may not be worth it....

Just my humble opinion!
Carrie
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:08 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |