Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)
Home Spa Recipes
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Remy
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:41 pm      Reply with quote
I found an article some may find useful. Time Out New York challenged three upscale spas to re-create a treatment with cheap ingredients you could find in any grocery store. Below is the link.

http://dev.timeoutny.com/newyork/articles/spas-sport/71305/home-economical

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
I love this stuff!

I could never understand why people fork over hundreds of bucks on jars full of chemicals, when everything yummy and wonderful is right there in the kitchen.. (Oh, the masks to be had, for every skin type, it's mind boggling I tell ya!)

Ducking now to avoid the rocks being thrown.. Laughing

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
callalily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:53 pm      Reply with quote
I'm worried if i do the Herbal Poultice I'll feel too much like Hansel and Gretel waiting to go in the oven.
When I was younger I always did DYI beauty treatments because I couldn't afford fancy masks. I have funny/embarassing memories of slathering my face with a melon rind and using too much mayonnaise "mask" in my hair. If you're skilled in the art of DYI, god bless, you are a lucky one. For me I'm almost afraid of what I could do. For now I don't think I'll venture past mixing lip glosses, sad as it may be.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:11 am      Reply with quote
Kassy: Would you have a "shopping list" of DYI staples posted anywhere?
Remy
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:34 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
I love this stuff!

I could never understand why people fork over hundreds of bucks on jars full of chemicals, when everything yummy and wonderful is right there in the kitchen.. (Oh, the masks to be had, for every skin type, it's mind boggling I tell ya!)

Ducking now to avoid the rocks being thrown.. Laughing

No rocks being thrown here. I just wish there was more time in the day to make DIY treatments. I would make them all the time!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:05 am      Reply with quote
callalily wrote:
I'm worried if i do the Herbal Poultice I'll feel too much like Hansel and Gretel waiting to go in the oven.
When I was younger I always did DYI beauty treatments because I couldn't afford fancy masks. I have funny/embarassing memories of slathering my face with a melon rind and using too much mayonnaise "mask" in my hair. If you're skilled in the art of DYI, god bless, you are a lucky one. For me I'm almost afraid of what I could do. For now I don't think I'll venture past mixing lip glosses, sad as it may be.

Hansel and Gretal that's too funny Laughing. I was thinking of feeling like a salad, but that's even better.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:23 am      Reply with quote
milbader wrote:
Kassy: Would you have a "shopping list" of DYI staples posted anywhere?

Are you asking for staples for food ingredients to use for masks, or for everything DIY..

For 'food' stuff, it will help if you tell me your skin type.. (If enough folks are interested, I'll make a list to cover all, but it's time consuming, so let's see how many ask!)

I have tons of info regarding actives, staples and recipe's for serums and creams here;

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=30621

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Bellezza
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:54 am      Reply with quote
Kassy, I would love to have your list. I'm becoming really interested in DIY and it's so much fun. Besides I think it's healthier and cheaper to use natural ingredients.

BTW, I bought Avocado oil, like you recommended, and I'm using it by itself, no other cream or your E,C, Ferulic (I made it for my daughters also). I would be interested in pumpkins and/or papaya masks and the like.
So, I'm looking forward to your list.
Thank you for all your help and your boundless knowledge.
milbader
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:11 pm      Reply with quote
Something like a cook book?

I am thinking of staples for DIY skin care products just like a pantry for groceries. What basics should be kept on hand (think flour, sugar, salt, etc) and what should be purchased often in smaller amounts (think spices, dairy, herbs).
Also, what basic equipment is necessary and which is just nice to have for convenience? I prefer tools to make things easier even if they are a bit more expensive.
mummytoaprinceandprincess
5% products discount

Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:23 am      Reply with quote
Kassy i would love your list aswell. Im just getting into the whole DIY thing and it would really help me to get going. My skin is awful at the moment so i would really like to try some products to sort it out Very Happy
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
Okay, for all you other kitchen houdini's out there, I'll start you off with a couple of nice mask recipe's to get rid of the dull, tired, winter blue's.

If you try and like these, then I'll add some more as we go along..

And away we go!

Always apply to a clean face, that is left a bit moist from a final pore opening with application of hot cloth to face, neck + decollette... If time permits, treat your hands as well!

PINEAPPLE + CARROT MASK

Very sensitive skin girls might want to avoid this one, or use for only half the suggested time, or add 1/4 cup of water to the recipe.. This one is loaded with enzymes, and will literally dissolve the dead cells from the top layer of your skin. Avoid the upper eyelid with this, but you can try a dab on the brow bone.

1/4 cup fresh pineapple (may substitute pure non-sweetened fruit or juice, but it's not as good.)
1/4 cup fresh grated carrot (may substitute pure carrot juice, but again, not as good.)

Whoosh it all up in a blender, dab on mixture to any areas you want to treat liberally, + saturate either a cotton hanky, or large piece of gauze with the rest. Now lie down, cover face and neck with the fabric and relax for 20 minutes (10 or till you feel a tingle for sensitive gals.)

Rinse well with warm water. If you are a rhino hyde like me, you can now use your microfiber cloth or clarisonic or face brush, to finish the job!

HONEY, EGG YOLK + YOGURT

This one will feed your skin with vitamins, protein, lactic acid, lecithin and more.. It will exfoliate a bit of the dead cells, and give you lots of moisture as well.. Some will note a pleasant tightening feeling as well. Safe for all around the eye area.

(Save the egg white to be used the next day in the a.m. for a great tightening treatment.. Whisk, apply to face, let dry, (you'll look 20 for a few minutes.. Laughing , and rinse.) Oh yeah, and if you can master just the right, delicate touch, a tiny dab of egg white applied under the eye, can get rid of the dreaded bags for a few hours.. But, the least amount possible, is what works!

2 TBS raw, natural honey (from health food store or natural section)
1 egg yolk
2 TBS plain yogurt

Whisk it all together, apply, and lay down and relax for 30 minutes.. Rinse well with lots of warm water, and enjoy the lovely glow.. Cool

SKIN FIRMER UPPER

This is a nice little mask that is great to use before a nice night out on the town.. It will tighten a bit, and give you a nice little healthy glow.

1 TBS of powdered milk
1 TBS of raw, natural honey
1 egg white

Whisk the egg white till frothy, whisk in other ingredients, and apply to face + neck. Can and should be used all around the eyes.. Rinse with warm water when dry.. 30 to 40ish minutes is about right for this one..

Okay, so lets see how these work out, and we can take it from there. Very Happy
Bellezza
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
I tried the pineapple + carrot mask. I chopped both in small pcs. & put it the blender. Being a small quantity it was pushed to the sides of the blender. I didn't think I was getting a good consistency so I added a Tsp. of lemon juice. When I thought it looked right I put it on my face, neck & decollete then I took a Detox Salt Bath & relaxed there for some 20 min. Some pcs. of carrot & pineapple got in the water. I felt a little tingles but nothing major. I have thick skin.

My face feels very smooth & I have a nice glow. The pores were really opened up, my skin absorbed moisture cream completely! Usually I can feel my moisture cream and it probably ends up on my pillow. I can feel a big difference.

Next I'm going to try Skin Firmer Upper. Thank you Kassy!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:19 am      Reply with quote
Glad you liked it Bellezza.. Next time "grate" the carrot as I mentioned in the recipe. It will give you that extra moistness when blended..

The bit of lemon juice you added was awesome.. Very Happy You are definitely my kind of girl!

Bellezza
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:15 pm      Reply with quote
For my next DIY MASK I got a bit imaginative. I don't use powdered milk and it doesn't come in small boxes so I substituted a TBSP. of yogurt. I covered my face with two warm face cloths leaving the nose free to breath, then I just took the face cloths off and did some work around the house. I didn't time it but I kept it on for quite a while.

I thought it was an awesome mask. I don't really see firmness but a nice glow and clean complexion.

Another winner!
mummytoaprinceandprincess
5% products discount

Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
I tried the honey egg yoke and yoghurt mask last night. After 30 mins i washed it off and my skin was glowing and silky soft Very Happy It dried out my problem forehead without drying out my skin if that makes sense. Thank you xx
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
AFTER CLEANSING TREATMENT FOR CONGESTION, BLACKHEADS + OILY SKIN

This used twice daily in place of toner will calm skin down, help to unclog pores/blckheads + help calm the redness of inflamed skin a little. It also has natural antiseptic qualities. Because it is gentle, without harsh chemicals, it will not cause overproduction of the sebaceous glands, as so many alcohol containing toners do.. (You know, the ones that make oily skin even oilier, yet leave the top layer of skin parched. Crying or Very sad )

1 bunch of parsley (flat leaf preferably)
8oz of non-carbonated mineral water (the minerals are a good thing for this toner!)

Cut the bunch of parsley into thirds, put in small saucepan, pour in the 8oz of mineral water, cover and leave for 24 hours.. (No heating, just soaking!)

Next day pour into clean bottle (water bottles are perfect). You can decant a couple of oz at a time to leave at your sink, and leave the rest in the fridge. Apply to cleansed skin with cotton ball, let soak in, and proceed with normal routine..
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
HAIR GLOSS + DEEP CONDITIONER

This is a nice once a week treat for anybody's hair, but is especially nice for dry or over processed hair.. Brunettes + deep reds will really see a nice shine with this one.

1 Mason jar (or any glass jar with lid you have on hand)
2 TBS lemon juice (fresh is best!)
1 cup of honey (raw from health food or Whole Foods store is best!)
1/3 to 1/2 cup olive oil (very dry or overprocessed, use 1/2!)

Put all in jar and stir/shake well. It will get better as it sits, so make a day or so in advance.. Storing at room temp is fine. If you want to keep it in fridge, just decant what you need about an hour prior to use.

Scoop out enough to coat all of hair from root to tips. Comb through all of hair with a wide tooth comb or hair pick, pile hair on top of head, cover with a plastic shower cap or Saran Wrap, leave on at least 30 minutes (an hour is great!), and shampoo as usual.

For a more intense treatment apply heat with your blow dryer once you've put the plastic on, for 5 minutes.
Bellezza
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:56 pm      Reply with quote
In ref. to AFTER CLEANSING TREATMENT

I have a bottle of Perrier Sparkling Natural Mineral Water that's been in my fridge for 2 years. Yes, two years, I had bought it for a particular dinner guest and forgot to serve it.
I don't drink mineral water so it's till there.

If I opened it and let it go flat can I use it for this toner? It's probably flat now but I don't know what 'carbonated' entails. Are there substances that would make it bad for skin?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
That's a good question, but I'm not sure what to tell you..

What I do know, is these are the "minerals" found in regular non-carbonated mineral water;

Magnesium
Calcium
Sodium
Sulfate
Potassium
Silica
Bicarbonate
Iron, Iodine, Copper + Zinc (in trace amounts)

I'd suggest googling the Perrier, to see if the carbonation process removed these elements, or left them intact. I suppose it's fine as long as the minerals remain..

To lessen the 'carbonation' factor just pour some into a glass, stir a little, and let it sit a while uncovered.. That ought to get rid of any of the fizz that's in it.

Bellezza
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:17 pm      Reply with quote
These are the minerals in Perrier:

Mineral Analysis of Perrier Water
milligrams per liter (mg/l)*
Calcium 147.3 Nitrates 0
Magnesium 3.4 Fluoride 0.1
Sodium 9.0 Silica 9.9
Potassium 0.40 Sulphates 33
Chlorides 21.5 Bicarbonates 390
Source: Bottled Water Web1

I don't know if carbonation affects any of them. Anybody?
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:34 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
For 'food' stuff, it will help if you tell me your skin type.. (If enough folks are interested, I'll make a list to cover all, but it's time consuming, so let's see how many ask!)

Oooh I'm interested too please! My skin type is borderline OSPW/DSPW. Thank you again Dr Kassy!!! I'm going to the grocery store tomorrow for ingredients to try out the papya enzyme mask, and the honey/yogurt mask Very Happy
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:42 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
HAIR GLOSS + DEEP CONDITIONER

This is a nice once a week treat for anybody's hair, but is especially nice for dry or over processed hair.. Brunettes + deep reds will really see a nice shine with this one.

1 Mason jar (or any glass jar with lid you have on hand)
2 TBS lemon juice (fresh is best!)
1 cup of honey (raw from health food or Whole Foods store is best!)
1/3 to 1/2 cup olive oil (very dry or overprocessed, use 1/2!)

Put all in jar and stir/shake well. It will get better as it sits, so make a day or so in advance.. Storing at room temp is fine. If you want to keep it in fridge, just decant what you need about an hour prior to use.

Scoop out enough to coat all of hair from root to tips. Comb through all of hair with a wide tooth comb or hair pick, pile hair on top of head, cover with a plastic shower cap or Saran Wrap, leave on at least 30 minutes (an hour is great!), and shampoo as usual.

For a more intense treatment apply heat with your blow dryer once you've put the plastic on, for 5 minutes.

I have been searching the threads for a full week trying to find this!!! You must have posted this ages ago on another thread, I read it once then forgot to mark the thread but this morning I see voila here it is. This is going to be my weekend project!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:53 am      Reply with quote
havana8 is right Alley.. This is the 1st post of any hair recipe for me..

Carekate has many, many hair care recipe's.. Perhaps that's what you saw..

Thanks again havana8 for working so hard to keep all of the DIY recipe's in order.. You're my hero.. Very Happy

Swan, could you clarify what "borderline OSPW/DSPW" is?

ETA: Am I nuts, or did Havana8's post just disappear? Confused

Bellezza
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
O=Oily
S=Sensitive
P=Pigmented
W=Wringled

D=Dry
S=Sensitive
P=Pigmented
W=Wringles

This comes from the book "The Skin Type Solution" by Dr. Baumann
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:11 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Swan, could you clarify what "borderline OSPW/DSPW" is?

Bellezza wrote:
O=Oily
S=Sensitive
P=Pigmented
W=Wringled

D=Dry
S=Sensitive
P=Pigmented
W=Wringles

This comes from the book "The Skin Type Solution" by Dr. Baumann

Yep, thanks Bellezza! Sorry Kassy, Embarassed I just assumed most of the people here are familiar with the Baumann method of skin typing (although I don't necessarily agree with everything in her book)

Anyways, OSPW/DSPW means I have combination skin, oily on nose and chin, dry and peeling everywhere else. Sensitive, prone to pigmentation, genetically predisposed to early wrinkling. Does this make sense? HTH, and thank you!!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:30 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |