Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

*~~~~~~~DIY skincare recipe & discussion thread~~~~~~~~*
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
batwhirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:20 am      Reply with quote
pinkheart_5 wrote:
AJ76 wrote:
Hi!

Does anyone have any good recipes for lightening dark spots (hyperpigmentation)? I have dark skin and every time I get a pimple it leaves behind a dark spot on my face that stays anywhere from 6 months to a year Sad . It's really upsetting.

AJ76,I hope this helps. For my knowledge goes all you would need for hyperpigmentation is any or many of the following ingrediants...
Niacinamide,Kinetin,Arbutin, licorice extract, viniferine(one of the components of grape seed extract).

If anyone knows any better ingrediants please comment.

kojic acid Smile
averygsmom
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:55 pm      Reply with quote
I am about to order supplies to make Caretake's C serum and was wondering if certain hydrosols could be used in place of the distilled water, I was especially interested in the Melissa hydrosol. If anyone has any info I was appreciate it.
bciw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
I can't find the post(s) that calls for the oil soluble vit c recipe. I dont have the time to go thru the whole thread If its not within the first 2 pages. could someone care to tell me which pags? TIA
milk&honey

Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:37 am      Reply with quote
I have to say this topic is very interesting, can't wait to try the cleansing cream Very Happy

I also wanted to ask if it would be possible to make the Egyptian magic all purpose cream myself? Since i find 30 dollars a lot of money, eventhough it's such a big jar. And the ingredients are plain simple so i figured if i made it myself it would be a lot cheaper.

Ingredients are : olive oil, bees wax, honey, bee pollen, royal jelly and bee propolis.

i don't know about the olive oil though, i tried OCM with it a few months ago and it turned into a disaster...
bciw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
has anyone ever had any customs issues with bringing the DIY stuff into a non-usa/canada country?. need a heads up on what i should expect cos i dont want my pkgs to be retained as hazmat or whatnot. Thanx
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:57 am      Reply with quote
bciw wrote:
I can't find the post(s) that calls for the oil soluble vit c recipe. I dont have the time to go thru the whole thread If its not within the first 2 pages. could someone care to tell me which pags? TIA

I'm not quite sure what you mean by oil soluble vit c recipe - but you can purchase oil soluble vit c from Bulkactives - its called Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate. You can mix it with a carrier oil - I use Pomegranate, but you can use any oil you like.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:58 am      Reply with quote
bciw wrote:
has anyone ever had any customs issues with bringing the DIY stuff into a non-usa/canada country?. need a heads up on what i should expect cos i dont want my pkgs to be retained as hazmat or whatnot. Thanx

I live in Australia and, so far, have never had a problem with bringing ingredients into the country.

5% products discount

Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:19 am      Reply with quote
havana8 wrote:
ran across this today....

Basic Cold Cream

Cold cream is a woman's best friend… What follows is a basic recipe and yields about six ounces.

ฝ cup olive oil
ฝ cup water or hydrosol
2 tsp beeswax
1/8 sodium borate (cosmetic grade)

• Combine the beeswax and olive oil in double boiler and warm until mixture is completely melted
• While the wax mixture is heating, warm the water in another pot. When water is warm NOT BOILING slowly add the 1/8 tsp of borax into the water and stir until dissolved. Add this slowly because if the water is too hot, the mixture will erupt
• Once the wax mixture is melted, pour into the mixing bowl.
• Stir mixture on low to medium speed and gradually add the water/borax
• Blend until smooth and creamy. As the mixture thickens, you will see a trace on the top (like whipping up frosting.)
• Once the mixture has thickened and cooled, store in containers

You can add up to six drops of eucalyptus essential oil, tea tree oil and/or melted menthol crystals.

http://theorganicbeautyexpert.typepad.com/the_organic_beauty_expert/2008/06/recession-pro-1.html

I'm very interested in this one, can't wait to try it! As I'm new to DIY, I'm just wondering in which step should I add the essential oils? and can I use other essential oils such as lavender instead of eucalyptus/tea tree? I don't like the smell of eucalyptus...and don't have tea tree essential oils.
Teabags
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:09 am      Reply with quote
Hi looco

Firstly, essential oils should always be added last when you heat ingredients this way. If you add them whilst the mixture is heating/melting, the essential oils will just evaporate and disappear. I would tend to do it towards the end, just as it's all cooling but whilst it's still "sloppy" enough to mix the essential oils in thoroughly before it all hardens.

Secondly, you can use whatever essential oils you like. You can chose whatever you've got in the house already, or maybe chose your own personal favourite smells, or maybe tailor-make it to suit your own skin, for example tea-tree oil for greasy skin or something else for dry skin or ageing skin or whatever.

That's the beauty of DIY - you can just change it around to suit your own needs

HTH

Don't worry what people think - they don't do it very often. 36 year old light brunette with oily/congested skin - but no wrinkles yet though! Tan quite easily and like natural organic stuff on my skin - even better if it's homemade - and i'm a firm believer that beauty comes from within.
jules2202
5% products discount

Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hi there Very Happy

I'm a newbie and just wanted to say thank you so much for inspiring me to make my own skincare products. I have extremely dry skin which is prone to eczema across my eyes (yuck). anyway after getting fed up of steroid cream destroying my skin i decided to stop using chemicals and use natural products only.

I found this site a god send and my skin is looking better than ever, and most importantly eczema free!

Things I've used are:

Asprin mask with aloe vera, honey and creme fraiche

Green Tea Toner

Face oil with almond oil, lavender, palma rosa, chamomile

I've also done a soothing eye gel for my eczema which is working well - aloe vera gel with vitamin e and evening primrose oil (just a tiny drop of each) and kept it in the fridge which is great for when my eye flares up.

Trying next -
Carekate Dr H CC
Carekate lipscrub and venom

Basically I'm just experimenting with whatever is in the house at the moment!!!

So once again thank you everyone for sharing so much!

By the way, any UK based people - do you have any suggestions for good websites for supplies?

Jules
xx
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
Jules2202 - do you just make the green tea toner by seeping a green teabag in boiling water or do you add anything else?

Welcome to the Forum BTW!

5% products discount

Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:16 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the welcome!

I made it as you said with boiling water, then added a pinch of crushed asprin, 15 drops of lavender oil and a tiny bit of aloe vera gel(i'm a bit obsessed with aloe as I've got v dry skin and it's my HG!)

I left the water to cool and then put it in the fridge. I used the tea bags as a kind of exfoliator - just rubbed them over my face! When the tea was nice and cool I added the other ingredients, put them into a spray bottle and gave it a shake.

I think I may have got the recipe from somewhere in the thread and it worked a treat. I know that some recipes include witchhazel but that's a bit too drying for my skin.

HTH
Teabags
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:52 am      Reply with quote
jules2202 wrote:

By the way, any UK based people - do you have any suggestions for good websites for supplies?

Jules
xx

Hi Jules

I am in the UK (Wales) and have used several UK websites plus know of a few more. I have also used a couple of american ones - they do seem to have a much better variety in USA but the shipping costs can make it expensive.

Here's my favourites:-

• www.justasoap.co.uk/catalog/index.php
• www.thesoapkitchen.co.uk
• www.aromantic.co.uk
• www.sensoryperfection.co.uk
• www.akuawood.co.uk
• www.gracefruit.co.uk
• www.essentialoilsonline.co.uk
• www.dennycraftmoulds.co.uk
• www.baldwins.co.uk
• www.soapbasics.co.uk
• www.soaposh.co.uk
• www.fresholi.co.uk
• http://www.newdirectionsuk.com/shop/index.php

These are the main UK ones that i know about. I've used justasoap, aromantics, fresholi and would buy from them again.

HTH Smile

Don't worry what people think - they don't do it very often. 36 year old light brunette with oily/congested skin - but no wrinkles yet though! Tan quite easily and like natural organic stuff on my skin - even better if it's homemade - and i'm a firm believer that beauty comes from within.
mummytoaprinceandprincess
5% products discount

Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:21 am      Reply with quote
Hello everyone

I am a newbie to diy and have found some great recipes here that i will try out Very Happy

I was wondering if anyone knows of anything to help broken capillaries? I have had a lot of these around my nose for as long as i can remember and don't fancy electrolysis.
deegadoo

Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:07 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
Homemade Vitamin C Serum:

• 1/4 teaspoon of Lysorbic Acid (Vit-C) powder or crysals
• 5 ml distilled water
• 5 ml of propylene glycol (glycerin can be used instead, but I'd only recommend it for those with dry skin!)
• small amber or dark blue glass bottle

Many of these recipes from The Personal Formulator and Bulk Additives have:

Increased risk to developing cancer
Rashes, immune system problems
Causing hormonal related problems
Breaking down and altering skin tissues and structures which allows the penetration of chemicals into your skin.

Propylene Glycol
Stearic Acid
Triethanolamine
Germaben II
Soy Isoflavones
Polysorbate 20 BA - Gel Maker Plus (Lamellar maker looks okay)
Phenoxyethanol Methylparaben, Propylparaben (Skin Actives Canvas Base Cream and otheproducts)

You can look up ingredients at Cosmetic Database.

Does anyone have any recipes that don't contain toxic ingredients?
havana8

Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:13 am      Reply with quote
deegadoo wrote:
Does anyone have any recipes that don't contain toxic ingredients?

If you are able, try searching on EDS or using the Recipe Index as there are loads posted. Welcome to EDS. Smile
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902
jules2202
5% products discount

Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Teabags for that. I've ordered from SAS as their shipping was only $10 but will def try the others.

Cheers!
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:15 pm      Reply with quote
havana8 wrote:

If you are able, try searching on EDS or using the Recipe Index as there are loads posted. Welcome to EDS. Smile

Thank you Havana8 for fixing the index links!! I've been driving me crazy looking for individual recipes high and low!
photoqueen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:22 pm      Reply with quote
You are ALL amazing people - these recipes are just fantastic.

Thank you for sharing.

PQ.
mummytoaprinceandprincess
5% products discount

Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:54 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone

I have just made carekates basic vit c serum and its making my face feel a little clammy. I doubled up the ingredients to make a larger quantity so this is it:

3/4 tsp vit c
15ml water
15ml glycerin

Would using propylene glycol stop it feeling like this? Or am i using the wrong quantity?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:35 am      Reply with quote
havana8 wrote:

OMG! havana, you are amazing... I was having the hardest time finding some of my recipe's, and there they are in the index.. You never cease to amaze me! You must have the patience of a Saint woman .. Very Happy Thank you!

Anyway, I was looking for Carekate's C recipe to post here in full, because some wonderful tips and info are in it;.. So, without further ado .. Very Happy

Homemade Vitamin C Serum: (Courtesy of Carekate)

• 1/4 teaspoon of Lysorbic Acid (Vit-C) powder or crysals
• 5 ml distilled water
• 5 ml of propylene glycol (glycerin can be used instead, but I'd only recommend it for those with dry skin!) • small amber or dark blue glass bottle

Put all of the ingredients in the little blue or amber bottle (need to wash it out thoroughly each time before mixing a new batch), replace cap/lid, and shake vigorously then let sit for a couple of hours, coming back to shake the bottle again every hour or so because it can take a little while for the Vit-C to solubulize.

If you really want to make your Vit-C serum with glycerin, you can usually find small bottles of it in the first-aid section of most pharmacies or supermarkets. Personally, I prefer using the propylene glycol – the consistency of my serum turned out even *better* than the CSRx version!!! When I made the serum using glycerin instead of PG, I found it to be too “greasy” for my liking (remember, I have hyper-oily skin!) and it caused me to have to blot my face even more often than usual, but this new batch has left me having to blot LESS often that usual, so I definitely think I’ve got a winner here!!

FYI - I ordered my propylene glycol from this website: http://www.thepersonalformulator.com/ and this is the link to the brand of Vit-C crystals that I bought at my local Whole Foods: http://amos.shop.com/cc.amos?main=catalog&prd=18010344&_x_=SouthNatural-NUTRICOLOGY-PURE-VITAMIN-C-ASCORBIC-POWDER-120-GM&ccsyn=260&pcd=11927518&ccsid=372971285-18619&_ccn_test=1.

Please note: You have to be careful when buying Vit-C though, because there's a 100 different types: unbuffered, Vit-C crystals with additional additives, Vit-C crystals that are sugared and flavored that you mix with water into a drink...basically you just need to read the label to be sure it's 100% pure lysorbic acid with no additional ingredients. They also have the Vit-C in powdered form, but apparently the crystals are more "soluable."

And my 2 cents on the glycerin question;

Mummy if you reduce the glycerin to 1 tsp (5ml), and make up the other 2 tsp (10ml) with any combination of the following, you'll have a nicer serum I believe; SKB, propylene glycol, more distilled water.. Even a few drops of alcohol (vodka will do) will cut down the slime factor.. Laughing

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
Here's my latest foray into DIY. I've been using two different serums lately, one containing DMAE and one with Matrixyl but in an effort to simplify my routine (too many serums) I've decided to add the DMAE and Matrixyl to my toner. With the help of the Skinactives Forum, this is what I've come up with:

Toner Plus

240ml Rose Water
10g Coconut Endosperm (4%)
10g DMAE (4%)
10ml Dermagen (Skinactives' form of Matrixyl) (4%)
2 drops Skinactives Anti-Oxidant Booster

Add all ingredients to Rose Water and shake.

To use - wipe over face with cotton pad immediately after cleansing or put in spray bottle and spritz onto face.

Any comments welcome.

5% products discount

Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:18 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Kassy. Ive just ordered some SKB and Ferulic acid from skinactives so im going to have a go at one of your serums (15% C,E, Ferulic) Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
misspointy
5% products discount

Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:27 am      Reply with quote
I recently bought a copy of the skinceuticals vitamin c serum of ebay and it was really nice. Im now going to have a go at Kassy's recipe but I cant seem to find distilled water. Im in the UK. What do you suggest instead of the distilled water? Would a home filtered water be as sucessful?

Thank you
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:17 am      Reply with quote
misspointy wrote:
I recently bought a copy of the skinceuticals vitamin c serum of ebay and it was really nice. Im now going to have a go at Kassy's recipe but I cant seem to find distilled water. Im in the UK. What do you suggest instead of the distilled water? Would a home filtered water be as sucessful?

Thank you

I'm in the US and buy my distilled water by the gallon in the supermarket for about $1.29.. Check the local supermarkets in your area..

It's the only one that will do for C serum, IMHO.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:25 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skinยฎ |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |