Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Dr. Kassy's face firming and eye cream
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:36 pm      Reply with quote
Just checking in to see what my DIY buddies are up to... Very Happy

I just know that some of you are cooking up a storm in your kitchens, and hope you share your recipe's here..

Don't be shy now, share the wealth... Laughing

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Bellezza
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 01, 2009 4:39 am      Reply with quote
Kassy, your pineapple/carrot mask is one of the best. This has been my favorite, I've used it numerous times with good results. After this mask my skin absorbs moisture cream completely, which tells me it removed whatever barrier I had.
I only make a small amount but it's always enough for several masks so I've wondered how long can I keep it in the fridge. Would the enzymes be weakened after a week?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 01, 2009 8:30 am      Reply with quote
Bellezza wrote:
Kassy, your pineapple/carrot mask is one of the best. This has been my favorite, I've used it numerous times with good results. After this mask my skin absorbs moisture cream completely, which tells me it removed whatever barrier I had.
I only make a small amount but it's always enough for several masks so I've wondered how long can I keep it in the fridge. Would the enzymes be weakened after a week?

Glad you like it Bellezza!

The recipe I posted is for 1/2 cup which is just perfect for one time.. (You want to really saturate the cloth.) Making it fresh is best, because you really don't want to use this one more than once per week.

It's loaded with enzymes that will literally dissolve the gluey, dead skin cells on your skins surface.

Copied from 'Home Spa Recipe's' thread;

PINEAPPLE + CARROT MASK

Very sensitive skin girls might want to avoid this one, or use for only half the suggested time, or add 1/4 cup of water to the recipe.. This one is loaded with enzymes, and will literally dissolve the dead cells from the top layer of your skin. Avoid the upper eyelid with this, but you can try a dab on the brow bone.

1/4 cup fresh pineapple (may substitute pure non-sweetened fruit or juice, but it's not as good.)
1/4 cup fresh grated carrot (may substitute pure carrot juice, but again, not as good.) Use the larger side of grater for grating the carrot.

Whoosh it all up in a blender, dab on mixture with cotton ball to any areas you want to treat liberally, + saturate either a cotton hanky, or large piece of gauze with the rest. Now lie down, cover face and neck with the fabric and relax for 20 minutes (10 or till you feel a tingle for sensitive gals.)

Rinse well with warm water. If you are a rhino hyde like me, you can now use your microfiber cloth or clarisonic or face brush, to finish the job!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 01, 2009 11:06 am      Reply with quote
Hey there Kassy I will be whipping up some fresh C-serum this weekend and an anti-aging serum. The anti-aging serum is really a fulling loaded base serum I add some extras to so to call it DIY would be cheating. Smile
For the c-serum I am planning on using the HA (1 drop at a time) instead of extra SKB to thicken the serum. I have a question for you, can I mix the MAP into glycerin instead of SKB?

I have some fresh pineapple in the fridge right now I think I will "treat" myself to a mask tomorrow. Would it be okay to use this mask to exfoliate followed by the AHA pre-treat before the AALS?

BTW - I used the hair treatment 2 weekends in a row I can't believe how soft my hair is another great concoction. You my dear are a rock star. Cool

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 01, 2009 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the kind words Alley... You never fail to make my day, and motivate me to plow onward.. Very Happy

The MAP is water soluble, so just put it in after the LAA has dissolved.

Yes, yes, yes... by all means use the enzyme mask before you use the LED.. (I always exfoliate prior, with either a mask or microfiber cloth.. Makes all the diff!!)

Just try not to overdue everything all at once, or you will cause too much inflammation, and compromise your skin barrier too much..

Speaking of the skin barrier (for what it's worth to anybody), I make it a practice a couple of times per week, to apply soothing, nourishing, anti-oxidant rich oils.. (My skin just drinks in what it wants, and I blot the excess with a hot cloth after a while.)

I love to switch things up, which keeps my skin the most responsive, but these are the oils I love, love, love..

- avocado
- palm
- coconut
- rosehip

The other products I highly recommend for restoring/protecting the barrier would be;

- AOB (Anti=Oxidant Booster from skinactives.com)
- ELS (Every Lipid Serum also from skinactives.)

I can't remember the last time I even thought about using a moisturizer, so I must be doing something right... Laughing I also believe very strongly that the least amount of chemicals we put on our face the better.

sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 02, 2009 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
Just need a tad bit of clarification:

For the C & E Ferulic (similar to Skinceuticals)

1. Is this made with JUST LAA (and not MAP)?
2. Does this have Hyaluronic acid? The recipe I kept does not show this but apparently it should be in there.

3. Is the HA amount the same as the Vit E amount?

I'm ordering some items from NCN (sea kelp)
and some from skinactives and I don't want to screw it up Laughing

Thanks - Just getting confused - Have been reading through all of the different things and I think I even have a pm from Kassy and finally need to pull it together and make the C-serum (so far I've made it with Viteral A but this one should be even better.)
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 02, 2009 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
This is the best one IMHO, and the only one I've used in quite a while;

15% C, E + Ferulic Acid Serum, 1oz

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1/3 cc/ml (.3) of Vitamin E Oil
1/3 cc/ml (.3) of Hyaluronic Acid
1 tsp SKB
1 tsp vodka
3 1/2 tsp H2O

To prepare use 2 shot glasses. In glass #1 put the H2O, Vodka, LAA + Ferulic Acid.. Stir frequently. It can take up to 30 minutes to *fully* dissolve. Mix the remaining ingredients in glass #2. When the contents of glass #1 have fully dissolved, combine both, stir well and put in your 1oz bottle.. Give it a good shake, and store in fridge or in a cool, dark place.. Shake a bit before use.

For all of you that are currently using any of the C serum recipe's I've posted, you will definitely want to try this new *tweaked* one..

Bellezza
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 02, 2009 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy, is there a difference between L-Ascorbic Acid and Ascorbic Acid?
I bought mine from Skinactives and it say Ascorbic Acid, without the L.
I also bought Ascorbic Acid crystals at Whole Foods, now I'm wondering if I have the right Vit. C.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 02, 2009 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1 tsp SKB
1 tsp vodka
3 1/2 tsp H2O

To prepare use 2 shot glasses. In glass #1 put the H2O, Vodka, LAA + Ferulic Acid.. Stir frequently. It can take up to 30 minutes to *fully* dissolve. Mix the remaining ingredients in glass #2. When the contents of glass #1 have fully dissolved, combine both, stir well and put in your 1oz bottle.. Give it a good shake, and store in fridge or in a cool, dark place.. Shake a bit before use.

For all of you that are currently using any of the C serum recipe's I've posted, you will definitely want to try this new *tweaked* one..

Great - this is the one I needed. Now to figure out the 1/3 cc. I may have a dropper or something around here.... Thanks Kassy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 02, 2009 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:

Great - this is the one I needed. Now to figure out the 1/3 cc. I may have a dropper or something around here.... Thanks Kassy.

Sis stop in any drugstore, and ask for a 1cc childs liquid med syringe.. They also come in 5 or 10 cc syringes, which can also come in handy.

For .3 you will just draw the liquid to the #3 on the 1cc syringe.

Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 02, 2009 9:17 pm      Reply with quote
Bellezza wrote:
Kassy, is there a difference between L-Ascorbic Acid and Ascorbic Acid?
I bought mine from Skinactives and it say Ascorbic Acid, without the L.
I also bought Ascorbic Acid crystals at Whole Foods, now I'm wondering if I have the right Vit. C.

I have no idea... Crying or Very sad

My guess is that if it's sold at skinactives.com, than it's entirely fine for C serum. As for the Whole Foods variety, that I'm not at all familiar with, I'd say you need to be sure there are no fillers...(You'd want the label to read "ascorbic acid" as the only ingredient.)

milbader
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 02, 2009 11:39 pm      Reply with quote
Trader Joe's sells Vit C crystals as Ascorbic Acid with no fillers. They dissolve easily and I use them as a supplement in the water I give my cavies. I was thinking about using it but it doesn't have L-Ascorbic Acid on the label so I wrote to Trader Joe's but I haven't heard back yet.
miss anna
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 03, 2009 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
I would love to make my own creams and serums and have been following this and other threads with great interest. I was wondering with the DIY serums, how effective they are in penetrating the skin. I know that the latest cosmeceuticals have skin delivery systems like liposomes and nanosomes to deliver the active ingredients deeper into the skin, supposedly the dermis. I wouldn't want to make a serum that just sat on top of the skin. Hopefully some of you that have researched the DIY stuff and ingrediants can enlighten me. TIA.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 03, 2009 4:56 pm      Reply with quote
miss anna, all I can tell you is that the serums I use (which are the recipe's I've posted), have worked for me better than anything else I have used in my 59 years..

I have no doubt that they are getting exactly where they need to be..

What else I can tell you with certainty, is that if you don't exfoliate the dead cells off regularly, nothing will penetrate your skin, no matter how much money you spend (or not).

There is lots of talk about nanosome delivery systems etc.. out there now, so it couldn't hurt to do a little research. For me personally I'm over it, and sticking with what I know works.. (My proof is looking in the mirror every day and seeing the very best skin of my life!)

cheesetoastie
5% products discount

Sun May 03, 2009 10:34 pm      Reply with quote
Hello,
My TPF package has arrived! Time to try DIY. Trouble is, the more I read, the more things I want to try/add... am very confused. Repeat after self: Stay calm, just start with the C Serum; Stay calm, just start with the C serum...

A quick question: does everyone store their oils, extracts and LAA in the fridge?
And another for Kassy: your earlier basic cream recipe, that worked SKB and actives into a base cream, do you think I could get away with adding Viterol A instead of SKB (just trying to stick with what I've got on hand, and still pack a punch... I need to order more *stuff*).

Also, I've wondered about the LAA vs AA thingie. (It's how I ended ordering online in the first place.) I'm no chemist, so even 'though I found this explanation online, it didn't really help:
*Ascorbic acid is an optically active compound. It can have L and D forms. L-ascorbic acid is the natural form and called vitamin-C.
This, when obtained from the natural sources, will be entirely L-ascorbic acid. Hence you can use it safely.But if it is synthesized in the laboratory, then you may get both L and D forms. So this mixture is to be purified to get only L.What I have seen in the market is L-ascorbic acid.

Hope that helps: I'm still unsure.Thanks again to everyone, especially Kassy and Alley - this promises to be lots of fun and (hopefully) will improve my skin. Cheers.
Alley
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 04, 2009 6:16 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1 tsp SKB
1 tsp vodka
3 1/2 tsp H2O

We need to have a serious talk about marketing this stuff girl!!! I made the above c-serum and I will say I was skeptical because I do love the "original to me" recipe of yours I was making. I used the serum this morning and wow. I noticed right away that I was clearly adding too much SKB to my version, as this new one absorbed quickly without that tacky feeling. I honestly didn't think my other c-serum was tacky but in comparison to this it definitely was.
I just received a bucket of MAP, that I bought basically for the c-serum, can I add 1/4 tsp to the H20 mixture? I know I just can't leave well enough alone....

cheesetoastie good luck with your 1st go of DIY, let us know how you make out. Oh BTW, once you have your first successful concoction this DIY stuff is like crack!!!! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 04, 2009 10:02 am      Reply with quote
cheesetoastie wrote:
Hello,
My TPF package has arrived! Time to try DIY. Trouble is, the more I read, the more things I want to try/add... am very confused. Repeat after self: Stay calm, just start with the C Serum; Stay calm, just start with the C serum...

A quick question: does everyone store their oils, extracts and LAA in the fridge?
And another for Kassy: your earlier basic cream recipe, that worked SKB and actives into a base cream, do you think I could get away with adding Viterol A instead of SKB (just trying to stick with what I've got on hand, and still pack a punch... I need to order more *stuff*).

Howdy, and welcome! You will have such fun with DIY, but definitely take your own advise and "stay calm + start with the C serum".. Very Happy

You can whip up a great C serum incorporating your Viterol A.. Here's something real simple to get you started;

15% Vitamin A,C + FA Serum

1 tsp. L-Ascorbic Acid
2 tsp. Viterol A
1/4 tsp. Ferulic Acid (just to kick it up another notch!)
.3 cc vitamin E
1/2 tsp Vodka (Up to another 1/4 tsp is okay to add if contents of glass #1 are really stubborn!)
3 tsp distilled H2O

Use 2 shot glasses. In glass #1 put the L-AA, H2O, Vodka + FA. (Stir well + often. It can take 30 minutes or more to *fully* dissolve. Have patience!) In glass #2 combine the Viterol A + vitamin E. When the contents of glass #1 have *fully* dissolved, combine all together, stir, put in a 1oz bottle, and shake well.

Keep in a cool, dark place or fridge.

As for the LAA versus AA, I just really recommend (and use) only the LAA.. The quote you offered above, convinces me further, that this is the way to go.
miss anna
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 04, 2009 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Kassy, just one more question from me. I think you add the vodka to help dissolve the LAA as it takes forever in H2O. I have dryish skin and don't want to add alcohol if I don't need to. Is it okay to just add the H2O and stir it longer to dissolve? Will it dissolve in just the H2O? I think I remember from previous posts it will, but will take longer.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 04, 2009 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
Yep anna, you can just dissolve LAA in water, but it can take an hour.. Ferulic Acid on the other hand is only very slightly water soluble,
but is totally soluble in alcohol. FA can remain gritty and clumpy without at least a few drops of alcohol..

miss anna
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 04, 2009 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Yep anna, you can just dissolve LAA in water, but it can take an hour.. Ferulic Acid on the other hand is only very slightly water soluble,
but is totally soluble in alcohol. FA can remain gritty and clumpy without at least a few drops of alcohol..

Thanks a lot Kassy. I guess I'll try it with a little vodka and see how I go. Have you noticed any particular LAA as dissolving more easily than any other. Maybe one from a particular supplier? Or are they pretty much the same?
milbader
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 07, 2009 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
I've had a email back from Trader Joes regarding their Vit C crystals:

Our Trader Joe's Vitamin C Crystals are molecularly distilled. There is no L-absorbic acid.

Thank you,

Nicki K.
Customer Relations
Trader Joe's
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 07, 2009 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
milbader wrote:
I've had a email back from Trader Joes regarding their Vit C crystals:

Our Trader Joe's Vitamin C Crystals are molecularly distilled. There is
no L-absorbic acid.

Thank you,

Nicki K.
Customer Relations
Trader Joe's

I believe that is 'buffered vitamin C', which is used as a supplement right? I'm not sure it's good for a serum though.. Confused

Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 07, 2009 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
Alley wrote:
[I just received a bucket of MAP, that I bought basically for the c-serum, can I add 1/4 tsp to the H20 mixture? I know I just can't leave well enough alone.... Laughing

Yep, you can safely add it. You only need 5% with MAP though, so don't add more than the 1/4 tsp..

And you are right, you just can't leave well enough alone...argh! Laughing Laughing Laughing

I've unleashed a DIY demon for sure!

Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 11, 2009 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
***************Cross Posting My New Recipe***************

I also love nourishing serums, and made this lately. I usually use something for a month before sharing the recipe in case something goes flooey, but this is still working out at the 10 day mark.. So it's debut time now..

Simple Semi-DIY Nourishing Serum

1/2 bottle (1oz) of Juice Beauty Oil Free Moisturizer (linked below)
1 TBS Distilled Water
.5 ml/cc Green Tea Extract
.5 ml/cc Wheat Protien Oil
.5 ml/cc Grape seed Oil
.5 ml/cc Avocado, Palm or Rosehip Oil (any of these will do)
.5 ml/cc Algae Extract
.5 ml/cc Lactic Acid (or Beta Hydroxy is fine)
2 squirts of AOB (Anti-Oxidant Booster from skinactives.com
2 squirts of ELS (Every Lipid Serum from skinactives.com

Decant 1oz of the Juice Beauty Serum into a mixing cup, add the water to that 1st and stir, then add and mix in each active stirring well. Store in a 2oz dropper bottle. No need to refrigerate.

It's just a nice nourishing serum! It would be especially good for the "Roller Girls" amongst us, or anybody who has compromised their skin barrier in one way or another..All skin types can really benefit from this serum. For those with very dry skin, you could add a tsp of glycerin to the recipe! For those with very oily skin, just leave out the ELS and add 1/2 tsp of vodka or witch hazel. (Just remember that even oily goils need oils.. !!)

I specifically chose the 'oil free' Juice Beauty Serum below, because it allows me to add my oils of choice, without it being too much..

I love, love, love all 3 Juice Beauty Serums sold here at EDS, and often use them as a base for DIY creams/lotions/serums.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/juice-beauty-oil-free-moi-p_4773.htm

sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 11, 2009 3:00 pm      Reply with quote
Do you suppose you could use a 25% glycolic for the lactic acid component?

Thanks kassy - something else for me to try and share! I have a few happy friends these days too - so it's sure worth it.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:50 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |