Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
milbader
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 10, 2009 9:47 pm      Reply with quote
Now that things have settled down at home (don't get me started with DH and his surgery; DS#1 being home from college and then going back; DS#2 graduating from culinary school, painting the Rec Room.... and on and on) so I finally have time to place my order(s)and is it now too late? It has been in the triple digits (100+ F) with more to come. Is it safe to order the various ingredients or will they be spoiled by the heat? The mailbox is metal and it will be like an oven in there Exclamation
AngelBear

Mon May 11, 2009 3:33 am      Reply with quote
Kassy A, you are fabulous! I have been playing with your recipes and I must say, there are quite a few Aussies walking around with great skin.. and getting many compliments!! All thanks to your c serums Cool Do you have an all-time fave recipe? Thank you so much for your wonderful posts Very Happy
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 11, 2009 10:50 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Geez Swan, I've never had the powdered form, so I'm not sure how to advise you.. What I would suggest is popping off an email to wherever you purchased it, and asking precisely how much you need to use to have a 1% concentration in a 1oz formulation..

I'm still working on a 4oz bottle I got from TPF about 14 months ago.. In fact I'll probably pitch it out soon and get a fresh one..

Oh, BTW, if you purchased it from skinactives, they always send a direction sheet for use with the products. Perhaps someone who has the same HA could chime in to help you out..

It's OK Kassy, thanks! I haven't bought the HA yet since I'm still trying to use up the rest of my Viterol A before I "upgrade" to the newer recipes Laughing .. Just wanted to make sure I understand what to do when I do try that recipe in the future. Thanks!!

Asian. Near 30. Prone to broken caps, moles + freckles, large congested pores, hormonal cystic acne, flaky skin and fat puffy eyelids. Staples: Bioderma SS, Taz, Dr. Kassy's C, Skinoren, HQ, Cerave and growth factors-- but also trying EVERYTHING ELSE.....
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 11, 2009 11:55 am      Reply with quote
AngelBear wrote:
Kassy A, you are fabulous! I have been playing with your recipes and I must say, there are quite a few Aussies walking around with great skin.. and getting many compliments!! All thanks to your c serums Cool Do you have an all-time fave recipe? Thank you so much for your wonderful posts Very Happy

Awww, what a sweet thing to say. Thank you, and I'm happy that you're happy..

Here's my favotite C Serum (latest + greatest!)

15% C, E + Ferulic Acid Serum, 1oz

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1/3 cc/ml (.3) of Vitamin E Oil
1/3 cc/ml (.3) of Hyaluronic Acid
1 tsp SKB
1 tsp vodka
3 1/2 tsp H2O

To prepare use 2 shot glasses. In glass #1 put the H2O, Vodka, LAA + Ferulic Acid.. Stir frequently. It can take up to 30 minutes to *fully* dissolve. Mix the remaining ingredients in glass #2. When the contents of glass #1 have fully dissolved, combine both, stir well and put in your 1oz bottle.. Give it a good shake, and store in fridge or in a cool, dark place.. Shake a bit before use.

------------------------------------------------

I also love nourishing serums, and made this lately. I usually use something for a month before sharing the recipe in case something goes flooey, but this is still working out at the 10 day mark.. So it's debut time now.. Laughing

Simple Semi-DIY Nourishing Serum

1/2 bottle (1oz) of Juice Beauty Oil Free Moisturizer (linked below)
1 TBS Distilled Water
.5 ml/cc Green Tea Extract
.5 ml/cc Wheat Protien Oil
.5 ml/cc Grape seed Oil
.5 ml/cc Avocado, Palm or Rosehip Oil (any of these will do)
.5 ml/cc Algae Extract
.5 ml/cc Lactic Acid (or Beta Hydroxy is fine)
2 squirts of AOB (Anti-Oxidant Booster from skinactives.com
2 squirts of ELS (Every Lipid Serum from skinactives.com

Decant 1oz of the Juice Beauty Serum into a mixing cup, add the water to that 1st and stir, then add and mix in each active stirring well. Store in a 2oz dropper bottle. No need to refrigerate.

It's just a nice nourishing serum! It would be especially good for the "Roller Girls" amongst us, or anybody who has compromised their skin barrier in one way or another..All skin types can really benefit from this serum. For those with very dry skin, you could add a tsp of glycerin to the recipe! For those with very oily skin, just leave out the ELS and add 1/2 tsp of vodka or witch hazel. (Just remember that even oily goils need oils.. Laughing !!)

I specifically chose the 'oil free' Juice Beauty Serum below, because it allows me to add my oils of choice, without it being too much..

I love, love, love all 3 Juice Beauty Serums sold here at EDS, and often use them as a base for DIY creams/lotions/serums.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/juice-beauty-oil-free-moi-p_4773.htm
AngelBear

Mon May 11, 2009 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
So fabulous r u that u just answered my second question before I got to it!! Laughing I'm going shopping for my ingredients right now, that serum sounds great! I'm doing the retin a thing and yes, my skin barrier is quite compromised atm Rolling Eyes That sounds perfect for me, it's winter here now and I intend not to suffer this time around.. my trials are shorter than 10 days, if my face is still on the next day, im happyyyyy!!!!! Thanks Kassy Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 11, 2009 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
AngelBear wrote:
So fabulous r u that u just answered my second question before I got to it!! Laughing I'm going shopping for my ingredients right now, that serum sounds great! I'm doing the retin a thing and yes, my skin barrier is quite compromised atm Rolling Eyes That sounds perfect for me, it's winter here now and I intend not to suffer this time around.. my trials are shorter than 10 days, if my face is still on the next day, im happyyyyy!!!!! Thanks Kassy Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Just an FYI for ya. If you are too irritated from the Retin-A use, you can leave out the Lactic or BH Acid..

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
AngelBear

Mon May 11, 2009 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy, one more thing so I can get shopping.. Where do u buy yr HA and LAA? I tried to buy HA from skin actives but they only had powdered form,which I don't want. The LAA I bought here in Oz, and unfortunately i don't think it is pure. Finally.... and I will let u rest after this one Embarassed ....... can u help me out with a really moisturizing body treatment? I am blessed with really fair,and extremely dry skin on my arms and legs. Any suggestions would be fab. Thanks
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 11, 2009 5:34 pm      Reply with quote
Dr Kassy,
Does it make any diff whether I use Vit E from capsules? It is so sticky and never disperses well. What do you use?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 13, 2009 11:28 am      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Dr Kassy,
Does it make any diff whether I use Vit E from capsules? It is so sticky and never disperses well. What do you use?

I'm still working on a bottle I got from TPF a year ago.. (In fact it's starting to smell kind of fishy so I'll toss it and get another.)

I think the capsules are okay as long as they don't contain 'gelatin'. The drugstore also sells small bottles of vit E oil..

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
misspointy
5% products discount

Wed May 13, 2009 3:17 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all

I made the vitamin c ferulic acid and vit E serum from Kassies recipe but have found its slighlty irritating my skin...I cut back to using it every other night but my skin does still feel a little angry. Should I perservere or is it possible to make a 10% serum and how would I adjust the ingredients?

thankyou
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 13, 2009 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
Hi pointy,
Not Kassy here, but when my serum was irritating, I just mixed in a little rosehip seed oil before applying it until I adjusted to it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 13, 2009 5:33 pm      Reply with quote
misspointy wrote:
Hi all

I made the vitamin c ferulic acid and vit E serum from Kassies recipe but have found its slighlty irritating my skin...I cut back to using it every other night but my skin does still feel a little angry. Should I perservere or is it possible to make a 10% serum and how would I adjust the ingredients?

thankyou

Well 1 tsp is 15%, so just try 3/4 tsp next time..

For now, just add another tsp of distilled water to your serum..

For more exact than that, you'll have to do your own math... Laughing

fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 14, 2009 3:41 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Kassy. I knew you'd have the right answer.

I just made your latest reincarnation of the 15% C serum and it really is nice and smooth. Can't wait til tomorrow morning to try it. I gotta tell ya tho: The only vodka I have is Absolut Peppar (with chili peppers) for my Bloody Mary's!!!! That oughta give 'er a little kick!

Also I added half the contents of a capsule of lecithin. I just cannot get the oil from my vitamin E capsules to dissolve - it all stays in big globs for me!! The lecithin seems to be helping. The pH is still 2-ish, so do you think this is OK?

thanks for your recipes - love 'em

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 14, 2009 6:38 pm      Reply with quote
You need to mix the oil in the phase #2 part, using the SKB as your emulsifier..

cheesetoastie
5% products discount

Fri May 15, 2009 3:49 am      Reply with quote
Hullo, I've finally made Kassy's C Serum using Viterol (still waiting on my Ferulic!) and want to say thank you, thank you. This is so much fun. Very Happy (And exciting - it takes all my self control not to slather it on five times a day.)
I too have trouble following the simplest directions, and found this fabulously straightforward, except... I couldn't get my LAA (from TPF) to dissolve (anyone else?). After 15 minutes and a bout of Oxidation Anxiety (me, not the mix), I put the distilled water/LAA straight into the dropper bottle and shook the bejesus out of it, on and off for an hour. Then I checked it up against a light to watch for undissolved crystals, and when happy, syringed in the Viterol/E mix. (And shook again like a mad thing. On and off... yadda, yadda.)

Anyhoo, I got to thinking, this mightn't be a bad way of putting it together, for those of us whose LAA takes forever to dissolve (saving it from sitting 'round exposed to air).
Kassy, what do you think?
(Besides the obvious, that I need to get a life...)
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 15, 2009 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
Usually mine dissolves within 20 minutes or so since I started using the vodka.. Wink

cheesetoastie
5% products discount

Fri May 15, 2009 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
Mmm. Vodka. One nip for the dropper bottle... one for me... thanks again, Kassy, for your patience and generosity. We're damn lucky to have you. Very Happy
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 15, 2009 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
cheesetoastie wrote:
We're damn lucky to have you. Very Happy

I Agree!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 15, 2009 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
My C serum recipe:

1/5th tsp. L-Ascorbic Acid powder mixed well with:

1 tsp. plus 4/5th tsp. Garden of Wisdom base gel

= 2 tsp of serum @ 10% concentration.

Mix well, apply immediately to face, store any remaining in fridge, toss after 24 hours, make more.

BF
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 15, 2009 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
cheesetoastie wrote:
Mmm. Vodka. One nip for the dropper bottle... one for me... thanks again, Kassy, for your patience and generosity. We're damn lucky to have you. Very Happy

Laughing Laughing Laughing You're my kind of girl... Cheers!

carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 16, 2009 5:06 am      Reply with quote
Is the C serum ok without the vodka? Dont want to buy a bottle just to make a serum.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 16, 2009 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
carolb69 wrote:
Is the C serum ok without the vodka? Dont want to buy a bottle just to make a serum.

If you are using the recipe as posted, you need some form of ethanol to dissolve the Ferulic Acid.. (Water alone will leave you with a gritty, clumpy mess!)

Use Whitch Hazel in place of the vodka.

summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 17, 2009 8:09 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:

Here's my favotite C Serum (latest + greatest!)

15% C, E + Ferulic Acid Serum, 1oz

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1/3 cc/ml (.3) of Vitamin E Oil
1/3 cc/ml (.3) of Hyaluronic Acid
1 tsp SKB
1 tsp vodka
3 1/2 tsp H2O

Hi Kassy,

I'd like to buy all said ingredients from one shop so as to save freight charges.

Both Ferulic Acid & SKB are available in Skinactives.com; however, I can only find Ascorbic Acid there but not L-Ascorbic Acid.

Are those 2 types of Acid the same ?

Pardon my ignorance of chemistry!

Have a Great Sunday!
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 17, 2009 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
I know I read somewhere but can't find the post - how long does ascorbic acid remain in the dermis once it's absorbed?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 17, 2009 9:01 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
- how long does ascorbic acid remain in the dermis once it's absorbed?

72 hours.

System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:57 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |