Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
For Vitamin C Serum DIYers
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
Alley wrote:
tracyjoy wrote:
HI there, this is my first post, however, not first read. I was an regional exec in the cosmetic industry (Christian Dior/Liz Claiborne) for 20 years and have been making my own vit c serum for a couple years..I took the basic recipe and added 1 tsp grape seed extract which is high in lineolic acid and a good preservative, along with 1/2 tsp vodka to lower the ph and act as preservative. My skin competes with those in their mid 20's (I am 44) and find that doing glycolic (50%) peels every other week augments the ability of the Vit C to do it's thing..just a thought Bad Grin

Do you do the peels yourself? If so what is your process?
I have 50% glycolic and a neutralizer but have been afraid to try it. Embarassed

Alley, have you done peels in the past? I think 50% is pretty strong to start off with, unless you have done some in the past and know your skin can handle it. If you are going to try it, I would start out with just 1 minute, and then go from there after seeing how your skin does.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
Riley,
I agree about the strength of the peels it is best to err on the side of caution. Staring out with less time and working up if the skin can handle it. If just buying one for the first time I would start out with a milder version then "move up" if needed!

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
Can we get back on topic sometime soon.. Very Happy

"For Vitamin C Serum DIYers"

Nice new recipe's perhaps?

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:59 pm      Reply with quote
Just a simple one from the web printed out a few years ago:

SIMPLE C SERUM

This homemade recipe to prepare vitamin C serum is divided into two parts, so are their essential ingredients. These two parts are (1) active ingredient and (2) base ingredient. Vitamin C serum prepared by active ingredient is meant to offer stimulation of collagen, reduction in wrinkles, prevention against sun and environmental damages. The active ingredient includes 1.0-1.2 gm vitamin C. This active ingredient should be L-ascorbic acid, however, not any sort of tablets. 

For the base part, the required ingredients are 1 teaspoon glycerin and 1 teaspoon water. 

Preparation 

First take a small-sized distilled glass container and pour the L-ascorbic acid and water to dissolve. You may use a distilled stirrer to make the process faster. You just need to make it sure that the substance has become fully dissolved within the water. Now mix the glycerin in it. After that, put the mixture in a non-transparent glass in order to maintain gradation of vitamin C. Store the mixture in any dry cool place. 

Sorry don't have the source.

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
Very Happy
Another with link provided:

http://www.sageandsimple.com/2009/02/diy-vitamin-c-serum.html

I've been making this for little over a year, mixing a fresh batch once every few weeks, and I still haven't had to rebuy the ingredients, which cost less than one over-packaged bottle of the premade stuff.

SAGE & SIMPLE'S C SERUM

Improve your complexion on a dime:

Add 1/4 t l-ascorbic acid, 1/2 t propylene glycol (or glycerin if you have very dry skin), and 2 t distilled water to a blue or amber bottle. Shake vigorously for a few minutes, then shake a couple times an hour until the powder dissolves.

This will give you an approximately 20% solution. If you have sensitive skin, or are in doubt, cut back on the l-ascorbic acid.

I buy my ingredients from The Personal Formulator, and my bottles from Specialty Bottle; I suggest a 1/2 oz bottle with a dropper for this serum.

Do not double the recipe. Vitamin C can become oxidized as it sits and may cause free radicals to form. It' s important that you mix a fresh batch every few weeks. I keep mine in the fridge.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:57 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Can we get back on topic sometime soon.. Very Happy

"For Vitamin C Serum DIYers"

Nice new recipe's perhaps?

My Bad sorry .....
I have to say on the DIY C-Serum my favourite is the c+e+ferulic with the Kukui oil. The texture is perfect, absorbs great and I think it is helping with some little spots I have developed. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:48 am      Reply with quote
Alley,
It's really not anyone's fault, it seems some other product is always mentioned in threads. It is only natural for people to ask about these things. Very Happy Very Happy

the ones I posted are for those who want that simple 123 easy recipe. Laughing

DM

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:11 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
This is the best one IMHO, and the only one I've used in quite a while;

15% C, E + Ferulic Acid Serum, 1oz

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1/3 cc/ml (.3) of Vitamin E Oil
1/3 cc/ml (.3) of Hyaluronic Acid
1 tsp SKB
1 tsp vodka
3 1/2 tsp H2O [/size]

-------------------------

Hi! Here is my latest update. I started out with the basic h2o, laa and glycerin recipe to see how my skin liked it then moved on to the recipe above. Both are good but the recipe above is far better for my skin. I have only been using it for about 2.5 weeks and have seen a difference. I didn't expect to see a difference because I thought Vit. C was more preventive than anything else. My skin is smoother and more even toned. I have terrible problems with melasma and it seems to be fading. That has been a surprise since nothing seems to fade my melasma. The biggest difference has been that my skin is normally hyper-sensitive to the sun but it hasn't been since I started the Vit C serum. Last Saturday was a hot and sunny day out and I spent about two hours outside with a lower spf than usual (because I wasn't expecting to be out like that). My skin didn't darken at all. Then I read somewhere yesterday that vit. c has it's own spf 8. Spf 8 wouldn't normally be enough to help me very much so there has to be more to it than that. I'm guessing it's the antioxidants. Whatever it is, I like it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:21 am      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:
I hope Kassy doesn't mind that I'm posting her recipe from another thread for Vitamin C serum with grapeseed oil. After she recommended using grapeseed oil, I made a serum with it and really liked it but my concoction wasn't nearly as advanced as her's:

Kassy_A wrote:
In regards to one that includes 'grapeseed' oil, I just did one after reading the article.. I've only been using it a few days, but my skin is seeming to love it.. Here's what I did, but it's early yet, so make it at your own risk.. (I went with what I took from the article, and threw it all into a 1oz serum bottle (it's a scant bit less volume)..

1/2 tsp of MAP (wanted to try this instead of the LAA for a change!) I believe this amount yields 10%, but 5% is the usual amount recommended for MAP.. Feel free to check because I'm not positive.)
1 tsp distilled water (to dissolve the MAP)
1 tsp of SKB
1 tsp of pure Aloe gel (from plant and zapped for 3 seconds in the microwave.)
1 tsp of Retinol 1.0 from NCN (love the ingredients in this, and it emulsifies the water/oil phase like a dream!
1 or 2 squirts of SAS antioxidant booster
1 cc of each of these oils/extracts; (grapeseed, wheat protein, avocado, coconut, white willow bark + kukiu) Melasma + freckled girls will benefit greatly from he WWB + K
1 pea sized dollop of 0.1% Retin-A gel (you can add this or leave it out, depending on your skin tolerance and/or how much time you spend outdoors. (I am rhyno hyde, and seldom go out between 11 a.m. + 4 p.m.) This little bit in a 1 oz serum, is just enough to give the vitamin A, but I don't think it's going to make anyone more sensitive.. Don't forget the sunscreen!

Dissolve the MAP in the H2o, add in the SKB, Retinol + aloe (stirring each in well), then add and stir in each of the oils/extracts one by one..

It's also a good idea (for anyone who gives this a try), to let it fully absorb in your skin before hitting the UV light.. (UV degrades both vitamins A + C, so having it absorb prior to going out helps.

I'll forwarn you all that the smell is a bit pungent, but it absorbs in nicely and gives the skin a nice little dewy glow.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=479765#479765

This looks like a good one to me and so does the jojoba oil version.

Kassy, you are always trying new things. Could you tell us what is your current favorite?

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:42 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy,

I would love to share a recipe with you that I have concocted but the only ones I have personally made are yours. I have accepted these knowing that you research all the ingredients, put them in proper percentages, and then test them for considerable amounts of time before posting them.

I know you love to share them (over a hundred) and generously answered the more than hundreds of questions about each of the formulations. Of your 2971 posts I would venture most were answering the very same questions over and over again.

You have stated (early on) that you are not an expert and that you would love the sharing to be reciprocal so that it would also be a learning experience for you.

I could share some things I copied from other sites but I know that what you are really asking for are our experiments and results (good or bad) and feedback on how yours is affecting us. I've certainly not been of help there. Actually, the only thing I've shared is how I managed to bugger up one of your own recipes. Laughing

I know we all appreciate you but I don't think we express it often enough. We just pick your brain. Sorry....

Now..I've had to type this out twice because I managed to erase the initial post. So, can we have a new recipe??? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

With gratitude and affection,
Jan
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
Zoftig,
Hello It would be wonderful if we all had degrees in cosmetic chemistry, but truth be told most all DIY'ers find recipes on the web or from reading books on the subject.
I think unless one knows exactly what the ramifications of mixing up an "unknown" are it could be disastrous to your skin! Especially with something which can burn the skin, I play quite a bit with oil and essential oil mixes but have reference material on how much EO per ounce to use.

IMHO
DM

Very Happy Very Happy

5% products discount

Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:11 pm      Reply with quote
Hello,
I'd like to second Zoftig and say a big thanks to Kassy for her generosity in sharing. I'm a long-time lurker who'd hoped to be sharing a few recipes of my own by now; but having had my first bout of stubborn rosacea, my skin hates everything and everyone, making evaluating DIY tricky. So my DIY creams are on the backburner. Sigh.

I've got to laugh 'though. I'm like a pathetic addict, and while now is clearly not the time for acids, have snuck off to whip up Kassy's CE&Ferulic Version B... telling myself, just a wee splash can't hurt Laughing)

Anyhow. Kassy, Alley, Dark Moon and the gang - you make my day. Whenever any of you *go AWOL* for a few days, I miss you... so big thankyous.
(PS. Made latest C serum minus HA, and while the watery-ness takes some getting used to, I'm finding this version less drying and tingling than the Viterol A version.)
Cheers,
Lee
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:23 am      Reply with quote
cheesetoastie & Zoftig,
I received a PM for a very simple 123, type recipe, so in response to that I posted two I found back when I first started researching Vitamin C for skin and looking into how best to DIY.
There are many posted with more ingredeints here, just tried to help someone who wants to keep theirs simple and basic. Hope that explains the above recipes being posted for you. Very Happy

All my best
DM

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:14 am      Reply with quote
DM .....LOL....I didn't mean we all had to share scratch recipes (although many others besides Kassy have done so). Giving personal feed back like Lee just did on Kassy's recipes was helpful to Kassy and all of us.

Maybe I can explain it in a different way. I am a cook - not a professional cook - but I love it and love to share recipes. If I were to give Lee one of my recipes, I would not just give her one I copied out of Better Homes and Garden. I would give her one I had tried and would recommend with additional comments..."it was too bland for me, I added salt, and I didn't cook it as long as the recipe stated".

Is that clear? Lordy, I hope so because if I tried again you would all be rolling eyes! I lost my ability to be succinct at around 60. LOL
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:12 am      Reply with quote
Zoftig,
I myself am quite a cook, I actually don't follow most recipes to a T. I guess I am a seat of the pants type of cook for to many years to count now, my exception to the above statement would be baking mostly as the chemical reactions are crucial.
Actually you were quite sucient in your statement.
I hope you understand my explanation as to posting simple recipes for those who for their own reasons want a very basic serum. Just trying to help those who want that.

Very Happy
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:59 am      Reply with quote
Not sure if this recipe has been posted before or not. So, my apologies in advance if it has been. This comes from a nurse who worked in a derms office, and then went to esthetician school.

1/2 dropper of squalane mixed with 1 dropper of hyaluronic acid 1% solution. To this mixture add a small amount of l-ascorbic acid ultra-fine. (If the solution is sticky, you have used too much C.)

She did not have the percentage of C, as she has used this for years, and doesn't bother figuring it out any longer. You could probably figure it out knowing how many ml's are in the droppers and then do the math!

Edited to add: Sorry, forgot to say that the woman did say it will work better with a tiny bit of water.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
Riley,
Question if you please, the squaline in the recipe is it the olive oil based one?

TIA
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
Riley,
Question if you please, the squaline in the recipe is it the olive oil based one?

TIA
DM

Yes, the olive oil based!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Riley,
I am not sure you can buy any other type in US anyway? Just wanted to make sure. This does look like a really nice recipe. Thanks for posting it and your quick reply!
Very Happy
DM

Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:15 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:

15% Vitamin C Serum, 1oz

1 teaspoon L-Ascorbic Acid
3 teaspoons Distilled Water
1 teaspoon SKB (Sea Kelp Bioferment)
1 teaspoon Remergent DNA cream (You 302 girls, can substitute with your THDA product!)
1/2 vial Ferulic Acid
1/2 capsule of MSM supplement (be sure it's one with NO fillers!)
6 drops of Vitamin E oil

Dissolve the C in the water stirring frequently till no crystal remains (10 minutes or so), to that now add the powders; (MSM + Ferulic) and stir till dissolved. In a separate little glass stir together the remaining ingredients; (SKB, Vit E, + DNA cream) + stir till mixed well. Now add it all together stirring for 3 or 4 minutes, and transfer it into a dark blue or amber 1oz dropper bottle. (Two glass shot glasses are perfect for mixing up this serum.)

A 1oz bottle last's me between 7 + 9 weeks and I apply to face, neck, decolette' + hands. I keep it in my bathroom, but it's good to keep any C products in the fridge.

I want this serum for my wife, i tried to get the ingredients in INDIA and could not find them. Can somebody help
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:07 am      Reply with quote
mmjain wrote:
Kassy_A wrote:

15% Vitamin C Serum, 1oz

1 teaspoon L-Ascorbic Acid
3 teaspoons Distilled Water
1 teaspoon SKB (Sea Kelp Bioferment)
1 teaspoon Remergent DNA cream (You 302 girls, can substitute with your THDA product!)
1/2 vial Ferulic Acid
1/2 capsule of MSM supplement (be sure it's one with NO fillers!)
6 drops of Vitamin E oil

Dissolve the C in the water stirring frequently till no crystal remains (10 minutes or so), to that now add the powders; (MSM + Ferulic) and stir till dissolved. In a separate little glass stir together the remaining ingredients; (SKB, Vit E, + DNA cream) + stir till mixed well. Now add it all together stirring for 3 or 4 minutes, and transfer it into a dark blue or amber 1oz dropper bottle. (Two glass shot glasses are perfect for mixing up this serum.)

A 1oz bottle last's me between 7 + 9 weeks and I apply to face, neck, decolette' + hands. I keep it in my bathroom, but it's good to keep any C products in the fridge.

I want this serum for my wife, i tried to get the ingredients in INDIA and could not find them. Can somebody help

I don't know if these places will ship to India, but Bulkactives and lotioncrafter are two sites you can check out. They should have at least the majority of ingredients. The seakelp bioferment can be purchased from NCNskincare. The Remergent DNA is no longer being produced, but you may be able to find a bottle on ebay. Hope that helps!
mmjain

Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:00 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
This is the best one IMHO, and the only one I've used in quite a while;

15% C, E + Ferulic Acid Serum, 1oz

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1/3 cc/ml (.3) of Vitamin E Oil
1/3 cc/ml (.3) of Hyaluronic Acid
1 tsp SKB
1 tsp vodka
3 1/2 tsp H2O [/size]

-------------------------

After going through all 32 pages of this thread i am feeling comfortable to try the above recipe. Will have to wait for a few days for the ingredients to arrive.

One Question, My wife's skin is very oily so any other thing required to add to the above recipe.
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:08 am      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
Not sure if this recipe has been posted before or not. So, my apologies in advance if it has been. This comes from a nurse who worked in a derms office, and then went to esthetician school.

1/2 dropper of squalane mixed with 1 dropper of hyaluronic acid 1% solution. To this mixture add a small amount of l-ascorbic acid ultra-fine. (If the solution is sticky, you have used too much C.0......

Hi Rileygirl,

Pls correct me if I am wrong, l-ascorbic acid is water soluble.

I understand that it is a tiny amount, but the final solution will have suspended powder.
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:34 am      Reply with quote
summer2004 wrote:
Hi Rileygirl,

Pls correct me if I am wrong, l-ascorbic acid is water soluble.

I understand that it is a tiny amount, but the final solution will have suspended powder.

Sorry, forgot to say that the woman did say it will work better with a tiny bit of water.

I have not made this recipe, just wanted to share this one, as I value the persons opinion that this recipe came from and Kassy asked for recipes! Very Happy
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:39 am      Reply with quote
Rileygirl,

Thx for your clarification.

I will make one batch!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:39 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |