Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Feeding your skin with Smoothies!!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Rice Bunny, I think technically they do degrade... but not so much that you won't get any nutrient... I find, for whatever reason, that a save smoothie is just kind of gross... That said, if it works for you, then it's WAY better than skipping it...

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:27 am      Reply with quote
I tried saving a smoothie and just couldn't stomach it. When it came time to drink it, I just made another. I don't know how the "saved" one tasted because I didn't even try it. It looked funky. It separated with a thick part on top and water on the bottom. You may be able to mix them back together. I don't know.

5% products discount

Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:36 am      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE,

Things are definitely much better fresh, but it's really not possible for me to make a fresh smoothie every day. Now that I think about it, it probably would be better not to make a large amount and separate it into smaller portions.

The thing is, I leave my apartment very early in the morning for work, and want to be considerate and not wake my husband and all our neighbors at the crack of dawn every morning because I need to blend my vegetables (we have thin walls, and my blender is LOUD). Maybe I should just mix the smoothies at night and drink it in the morning? Or drink the smoothie at night? Does anybody do this?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:10 am      Reply with quote
Sometimes I don't get a chance to make it in the morning. Then I just have one at night. I just fit it in anywhere that I can. It's better than not having it at all.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:21 am      Reply with quote
More important to get the nutrient than NOT... So drink it at night... your body will thank you... And hey, it will stave off night time munchies (which is when we most tend to graze on not so good for us food right???)

You can blend at night, throw it in the fridge (blender and all), and blend for 20 seconds in the morning to remix... 20 seconds won't kill anyone...

Just do what works for you...that's more important then just skipping it all together... Now I'm going to make a smoothie!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:15 am      Reply with quote
I've been throwing in a handful of cranberries in my morning smoothie and surprisingly, I really like the flavor they add. I was afraid they would make the smoothie tart but that's not the case at all.
Totter
5% products discount

Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:37 pm      Reply with quote
I tried my first green smoothie today! It was really good! I was surprised!
How many smoothies do most of you drink a day and what is your lunch and dinner menus like. I really don't need to lose weight If anything I need to put on a few pounds.
I am going to continue to drink one a day to see how my skin improves.
Love hearing from all you!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
Welcome Totter to EDS and to the Green Smoothie thread. I started out drinking two green smoothies a day but as my work load has increased I do well to made it to one a day. I have been drinking them and LOVE them still....my face and body are looking so much better for it. If you don't want to lose weight you can make sure are you eating your meal and drinking smoothies for snacks or you can have higher calorie smoothies. They are so good and good for
you.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:25 pm      Reply with quote
Totter,

When I first started the smoothies, I had two a day. But I was having major problems with detox issues which never seemed to get better as time went on. It was interfering with my job, if you get what I mean. So, I've cut back to one a day and things are going much better. I'd like to eventually bump it up again to two, because I was having a vegetable green smoothie and a fruit green smoothie each day. Now, I'm not getting in what I feel I need.
Vor
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:01 am      Reply with quote
Can you suggest me what blender to buy? How do you make your smoothies?
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:09 am      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
These prices may vary but it is a good ball park figure.
Price Healthmaster- 200.00(payments possible)shipping is 4-6 weeks
Blendtec -335.00(was on sale somewhere… with free shipping)
Vitamix- around 399.00
L egqip228-89.00 plus shipping(about 10.00 shipping)This is truly the value buy

This was on the first of this long thread...maybe this will help Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:36 am      Reply with quote
Hi. If I take powdered greens with a smoothie does this hinder absorption or should I take it on it's own? The same with alpha lipoic acid and bio K, the high ratio yogurt with lots of active culture. TIA Harriet
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:52 am      Reply with quote
I have always gone after the true source for nutrition if I can. I think the body absorbs and handles things more naturally that way. If I couldn't get the natural source, of course the powdered would be better than not getting it at all.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:57 am      Reply with quote
Bio-K should always be taken by itself, and then one should wait for about 15-20 min before eating anything else.

Re: greens - in general I agree with Toby - as close to nature as possible. However, if the greens you have access to are full of chemicals from pesticides, you may be better of taking them in powder form.

HTH

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:01 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Harriet,

Seems the general consensus (of this forum and some of the other smoothie websites) is that fresh and simple is the best recipe. That would be your green of choice, a liquid if needed, and a fruit for sweetener or flavor (to your liking).
Rotation of the greens is also an important feature. Toby adds chia seeds to hers and several of us now add them as well. There are a lot of variations amongst our recipes though, so I guess it's whatever floats your boat. Very Happy
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:52 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Harriet,
One of the smoothie sites recommends a blend of 60/40 fruit to veggie in the green smoothie - so it's palatable I believe and still highly nutritious. I probably do a 50/50 in mine. Spinach, a cucumber with a banana and a pear is a nice blend. I also add ground flax seeds and as soon as I use up my stash I'm going to add CHia.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:56 pm      Reply with quote
The chia seeds are wonderful and they really keep you full. Wink Go for it Sis!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
white or black? Do you have a preference?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
white or black? Do you have a preference?
I like the white the best!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:51 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for all your thoughtful and very helpful replies. I'll do the follow up reading in this thread and the websites referred to. I used to have a Champion Juicer but gave it away a few years ago. Now I just use my blender when I do a smoothie. Harriet.
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:00 pm      Reply with quote
Harriet,
Most of us had a champion juicer at one time but as the tide changed and green smoothies become popular and we realized that having the fiber of the veggies and fruits were so beneficial to the body. So we traded of the Champion for a heavy duty blender. Juicing still is benefical but the green smoothies really are the silver bullet!! Well they have been for me. Less mess too Wink

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:34 pm      Reply with quote
What I've learned over the years is that the nutrients from fresh juices, if they are strained after juicing,(and consumed on an empty stomach) are assimilated almost immediately and are available....within 15 minutes or so...irregardless of the strength of one's digestion... to nourish regenerate, detoxify the cells of the body..

while green smoothies or green energy soups, with the fiber intact (and especially with the often included fats/proteins added in ingredients like avocados, chia seeds, etc) digests like 'food' rather than liquid..and depending on the 'mix'..can take a couple of hours to assimilate....and depending on the strength of one's digestion, may or may be available to the body as nutrients.

i drink fresh green juices and also green energy soups ( which are like smothies only without the fruit)..and feel they both have their function.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:28 pm      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
Toby wrote:
These prices may vary but it is a good ball park figure.
Price Healthmaster- 200.00(payments possible)shipping is 4-6 weeks
Blendtec -335.00(was on sale somewhere… with free shipping)
Vitamix- around 399.00
L egqip228-89.00 plus shipping(about 10.00 shipping)This is truly the value buy

This was on the first of this long thread...maybe this will help Wink

So has anyone compared the Blentec to the Vitamix? I still can't decide which one to get! Embarassed Embarassed

Asian. Near 30. Prone to broken caps, moles + freckles, large congested pores, hormonal cystic acne, flaky skin and fat puffy eyelids. Staples: Bioderma SS, Taz, Dr. Kassy's C, Skinoren, HQ, Cerave and growth factors-- but also trying EVERYTHING ELSE.....
katebargold
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:10 am      Reply with quote
I have a smoothie every morning for the last 5 years but fruit oat milk protein powder and flax seed meal.
Started adding spinach last week and less oat milk. Added virgin coconut oil that i usually add in summer and i created the worst thing I have ever tasted! Coconut oil + Spinach Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:57 am      Reply with quote
i just wanted to add a bit more about making fresh green juices....since the topic of juicing versus smoothies had come up on this forum a number of times..

so here's some some info about how to make really powerful fresh green juices (which i feel are sisters to green smoothies and energy soups.)

The most potent juicer for juicing greens are the twin auger juicers like the Green Star from Tri-best (although there are many other companies that now have their version of the twin auger juicer) These juicers juice every kind of green including the stringy stems of kale and collards.. and grasses, like wheatgrass, and make incredble thick, rich green juice...leaving behind totally 'bone-dry' fiber...unlike most juicers (which can't juice most greens effectively) and leave behind a wet fiber residue which contains much of the nutrients from the greens.

I usually juice 3/4 'intense' greens like kale, collars, broccoli, parsley, chard..and 1/4 'light' greens like romaine lettuce and celery (although it can be the other way around, too, for those just getting started) and of course, if desired some sweeter veggies or fruits can be added (to make it more palatable for those not used to the intense flavor of an energy of all green juices) like apples, carrote or beets.

i like lots of ginger with mine.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:50 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |