Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Oil Cleansing Method
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:51 pm      Reply with quote
Hello and Welcome Cluster!

I don't know how you feel about DIY but Havana8 put work, big time work into a recipe index! I am posting the link as there are simple recipes for toners the ACV toner is a favorite raved about all over the forum!

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902

Glad you are enjoying good results with OCM! I love it!

HTH
DM

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for the link....time to start mixing up some "potions", lol ;D
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
clustersof3,

You are welcome! I know it is hard to know where to look when you first get here, I just joined 3 months ago! Happy mixing and keep us posted!

DM
BTW at the bottom there are a number of suppliers listed for DIY goodies!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:25 pm      Reply with quote
I was tempted to buy a huge bottle of grapeseed oil at Costcos cause it seemed so cheap! Has anyone had luck with it? I would assume it has antioxidant properties but is that true?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:05 pm      Reply with quote
Lemon,
I have used it it is lighter than olive, good for oily skin, mine is normal but it isn't drying and I use an oil blend as a moisturizer after. The Grapeseed is full of antioxidants!

HTH
DM Surprised

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:48 am      Reply with quote
Hi Lemon,
I really like using some grapeseed oil mixed with evoo because it's a lighter oil and it doesn't feel as heavy on my skin. Great if you have combo/oily skin, or want something lighter to remove eye makeup.
clustersof3
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:01 am      Reply with quote
DarkMoon,

Just wanted to let you know I tried the acv toner and am loving it.
At first I was using other cleansers/toners as well, but notice that my skin is much better when I just use the oils and acv toner.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
clustersof3,
ahh a girl after my own heart! I like nice simple ingredients all organic and so good for your skin! Very Happy I am glad to hear you are loving it! Thanks for posting your results.

DM

Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:30 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on using camellia oil instead of EVOO for OCM? I just used a 60/40 mix of camellia oil and castor oil - first time ever doing OCM... and *nothing* came out! totally disappointing, of course I was hoping for magical instant results. Smile
I have been using camellia oil for a year or so as a moisturizer - I have pretty oily/sensitive skin and it doesn't seem to break me out, I'm a little bit terrified that if I try olive oil there will be a subsequent Exxon Valdez nightmare on my face!

Thanks to everyone who has posted, I spent HOURS last night reading everyone's experiences!
-jess
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
jessikah,

You could try 50/50 instead as the Castor oil is the deep cleansing one. Unless you feel your skin is too sensitive. You may not have that much to purge out especially as you have been using an oil to moisturize for so long. Sometimes it takes more than one time to loosen things up and bring them out!
Everyone is unique and has unique experiences. I have always had really normal skin so didn't really purge much either. It is just a great way to cleanse your skin.

IMHO
HTH
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:18 am      Reply with quote
OCM OIL BLEND FOR OILY SKIN ONLY

1 oz. Jojoba (or your favorite carrier oil
mix)
3 drops ylang ylang oil
2 drops lemon oil
2 drops rosewood oil
1 drop clary sage oil
1 drop geranium oil

Place carrier oil mix or Jojoba oil in clean dark container add the essential oils, blend gently by turning bottle upside time repeatedly or roll gently between the hands to blend well.
Apply a few drops (add if needed) massage as per OCM ussage clean off with hot wash cloth.
This blend may be used as a leave on oil blend as well just apply 1-2 drops 2 times a day after cleassing & toning pat into skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:06 pm      Reply with quote
OCM OIL BLEND NORMAL SKIN

1 oz. Jojoba oil (or oil blend of choice)
3 drops neroli oil
2 drops rose oil
2 drops sandlewood oil

Place oil in clean dark bottle and add the essential oils. Blend gently either turn upside down severl times slowly or roll between the hands to mix.
Use for your regular OCM cleansing, clean off with a hot wash cloth.

DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:28 pm      Reply with quote
Wow DM - These blends really sound nice. Wish I had some of the oils you mention - maybe in 2010 Smile

I have oily skin and used a simple 60/40 castor-jojoba blend. I bought a pretty dispensor bottle at TJMaxx and put it in my bathroom. I never had any purging either but I love it - and also use for the Tanaka massage.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:10 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Wow DM - These blends really sound nice. Wish I had some of the oils you mention - maybe in 2010 Smile

I have oily skin and used a simple 60/40 castor-jojoba blend. I bought a pretty dispensor bottle at TJMaxx and put it in my bathroom. I never had any purging either but I love it - and also use for the Tanaka massage.

Sis,
I never had any purging myself, but I have never had breakouts either!

I have a large collection of essential oils as I love the benefits to the skin and the smell! There is quite a bit of information right on the forum as well as the web about the properties of them! Just one example is Tea Tree oil and it's many uses!

HTH
DM

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
For how long do you leave the oil on?
I have jojoba, avocado and castor. How should I mix them, if I want my skin not be that dry and not to get too much pimples?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
Vor wrote:
For how long do you leave the oil on?
I have jojoba, avocado and castor. How should I mix them, if I want my skin not be that dry and not to get too much pimples?

Reposting this from early in the thread for all to understand the method.

OP hpjrt posted 2007

Hi lefemme,

Yes ... unfortunately I'm well over 50! I'll be 56 this year ...

I use a 50/50 mix of cold pressed castor oil and grapeseed oil. I have a lovely ceramic "soap dispenser" that I fill with this mix, and then I just pump out what I need to cleanse my face. [This seems to satisfy my need to have pretty cosmetic containers! ]

And ... no ... you didn't miss the instructions in this thread ... at least I don't think you did. There have been so many threads on this subject ... but I happened to save the "original" instructions that were posted on the Long Hair Forum ... [of all places ...] ... and they are posted below.

I'm afraid that I can't recall the name of the woman who originally posted this article ... ... I wish I could give her credit.

Also ... the article talks about a combination of Extra Virgin Olive Oil [EVOO] and castor oil ... but my skin didn't like the Olive Oil ... which is why I use Grapeseed Oil instead. The castor oil is important ... but the other oil can be largely selected on your own preferences. Further ... if the 50/50 mix is too drying for your skin ... it's easy enough to alter the percentages.

Enjoy and HTH!

Mary

Oil Cleansing Method, or OCM

When cleansing and moisturizing your skin, it is imperative that you keep in mind that oil disolves oil. Do not be afraid of applying oil to your face. Oil, alone, will not cause you blemishes. Pimples, cysts, zits, blackheads and whiteheads are a result of several different factors including hormones, bacteria, dead skin cells and the buildup of these factors. Your skin naturally produces oil because it needs it. It is not a malicious force to be reckoned with, it is there for the benefit of your skin. It is naturally occurring. Oil helps lubricate, heal, protect, and moisturize your skin so that it may function properly. Properly functioning skin is beautiful, clear, and glowing.

While I'm talking about the benefits of oil applied externally, I'd like to mention how important it is to moisturize from the inside as well. WATER! Drink no less than 8 glasses of water a day. If your skin has issues with blemishes, drink up! Water will help release and remove the toxins from within, leaving behind glowing, dewey, toned skin. Carry a bottle of water around with you throughout the day so water is always available.

Now, to the point of this article.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) is used for moisture, while Castor Oil (CO) is used for cleansing. Castor Oil tends to be a bit on the thick side, so a mix of the two (EVOO/CO) is frequently used. This allows for the Castor Oil to really sink into the pores and draw out the dirt and grime to the surface. You can vary this ratio to match your skins needs. More EVOO for moisture or more CO for cleansing (25/75 EVOO/CO for Oily skin, or 75/25 EVOO/CO for dry skin). EVOO is incredibly high in antioxidants, while CO is excellent for drawing and healing. CO has been the focus of many books and medical discussion because of its seemingly "magical" healing properties. It only makes sense (after a bit of research) that one would use CO on their face to help treat blemishes and acne, or simply to make their skin look and feel better.

As quoted in The Oil That Heals by Dr. McGarey, a country doctor (unknown?) states, "Castor oil will leave the body in better condition than it found it."

The Routine:
Massage a substantial amount (the cup of your palm, while hand is held open) of EVOO/CO into your face and neck.

This is to be done over makeup or any visible dirt. Take this time to give yourself a facial massage. Really work the oil into your skin. Take your time, breathe deeply, and relax. Sit down to do this if it helps.

You, of course, do not have to sit and relax, but keep in mind that stress isn't good for your skin and you should take any moment you can to destress and let tension float away.

Take a washcloth, terry cloth or flannel preferred, and soak it in steamy hot water. Wring it out and drape it over your face.

What we are doing is steaming your face as an esthetician would, but without the steam machine. You want to open your pores. This helps release any impurities from deep within your pores.

As the washcloth begins to cool, gently wipe the oil and dirt away. This will also help remove any dead skin cells that are stubbornly clinging on.

Rinse the washcloth out in hot water and wipe away any remaining impurities. You may have to do this two or three times more to remove any remaining dirt and oil residue, but it will come off leaving your skin with a beautiful, healthy glow. No additional cleansing is necessary.

After you have rinsed well, you can either splash your face with cool water to help tone and close your pores, or if your face feels tight, you can moisturize.

If your skin feels tight, take a tiny drop of your EVOO/CO, rub it between your clean, damp palms and pat it into your damp skin. Massage any oil residue into your skin so there is no film of oil left sitting on the surface. Being prone to breakouts, myself, I've found that this is perhaps the most important step.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:24 am      Reply with quote
Thanks a lot for finding that post DM. It was very helpful.
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:15 am      Reply with quote
miss anna wrote:
Thanks a lot for finding that post DM. It was very helpful.

You are welcome miss anna! It saved me a ton of typing as well! LOL

DM
Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:57 am      Reply with quote
For those in doubt about oil dissolving oil:

http://thebeautybrains.com/2008/03/15/makeup-removers-does-oil-cleansing-really-work/

HTH
DM

5% products discount

Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:29 am      Reply with quote
Okay, so back in October 2009 I posted about having a really bad experience with OCM that persisted after discontinuing it (it's on page 18 of the thread). I happened to give OCM another whirl, and have to say, my opinion has changed.

At any rate, I again started from my skin's pretty "normal" state of mild-moderate time of the month acne, blackheads on my nose, clogged pores in the surrounding cheek area, and lots of red PIH (not the normal state, but an artifact from my 1st OCM try...PIH takes about 8 months to clear from my skin). I was cleaning out the bathroom cabinet, and found the jojoba and castor oil. I've been reading all this wonderful things about facial massage, and the only holding me back from trying it was that oils are used on the face during the massage.

Well, I ultimately decided to test oils on my face again, starting with only my nose and surrounding cheek area (all of the cystic acne from my prior OCM experience was on my chin and forehead). I massaged straight jojoba oil into those areas, and it cleaned out the pores so well that I was tempted to try OCM again (I don't learn, do it?). But I'm so glad I did.

This time around, I used straight jojoba oil for OCM 2-3 times a week. Nothing but clear, clean, hydrated skin. I added in a little castor oil (10%) to the mix, and *bam*, I got a small cyst on my chin. I cut out the castor oil, and no cysts. So it looks like my previous horrible reaction from OCM was a reaction to the castor oil. Although at that time, I did play around with the portions of the oils, I had never removed the castor oil completely because I thought it was needed to draw out impurities and make OCM work. Not the case.

So, bottom line is, I now think OCM is great (who would have thought?). It's highly effective in keeping my pores clear, and I've used it for about 2 months now with no cystic acne on my chin or forehead. Maybe others who have had bad experience with OCM in the past were sensitive to the oils used.

For newbies to OCM, I suggest first just trying it on a small portion of your face (e.g. just the nose, just the chin), and see how that goes before slathering it all over.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:08 am      Reply with quote
ricebunny,

I completely agree, you never know what you might be sensitive to! A "patch" test is always a good idea. I think some having problems with Castor Oil may be using the more processed type available at drug stores ect. The best is cold pressed purchased from health food stores or online! That said you may very well have a sensitivity to it in any form! I am glad you found a method that really works so well for you! SmileSmileSmile

DM

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
Do you leave the oil layer on or remove it after some time?
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
Vor wrote:
Do you leave the oil layer on or remove it after some time?

Vor,
I posted the instructions above, the oil
you massage that removes all the dirt and gunk has to be thouroughly removed! Some with dry skin use a bit of clean oil after removing all
the cleansing oil.

HTH
DM

Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:11 pm      Reply with quote
Hello everyone, my name is Janet and today is my first day trying the OCM method. I tried looking for the Sunflower Seed Oil I had read in the article, but it is really hard to find. I mixed the Castor Oil with EVOO instead. Am I suppose to do this everyday and do I put moisturizer on afterwords? I have very bad adult acne and have tried everthing to get rid of it. I am now getting red scars on my face wich have me very upset, so I am hoping this will work for me ;D
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="jabreu69"]Hello everyone, my name is Janet and today is my first day trying the OCM method. I tried looking for the Sunflower Seed Oil I had read in the article, but it is really hard to find. I mixed the Castor Oil with EVOO instead. Am I suppose to do this everyday and do I put moisturizer on afterwords? I have very bad adult acne and have tried everthing to get rid of it. I am now getting red scars on my face wich have me very upset, so I am hoping this will work for me ;D[/quote]

I do use it every day as my cleansing method, yes after you clean all oil off you can use a moisturizer appropriate for your skin type! Many oils can be used and they can usually be found at health food stores or online! I know there is a lot of reading but if you read this whole thread you may well find most of your questions answered. If you still have questions I and many others who use this method will be mote than happy to help where ever we can! Smile

HTH
DM

Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:00 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |