Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Feeding your skin with Smoothies!!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:13 pm      Reply with quote
I have an 8 cup vita mix... it's the Vita Prep... $$$... but I'm also married to a professional chef... who gets this kind of stuff cheaper than retail...

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
I use lots of greens and very little fruit and still enjoying them!!!!

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:45 am      Reply with quote
I'm so doing this! I have always been an smoothie girl. Though I never really added any greens, just sometimes protein powder and the like. Since I make them all the time, it wouldn't be so hard to just add some greens in them.

I'm going to try the Strawberry-Banana-Romaine Recipe, have these ingredients on hand all the time.

I noticed most people were using Stevia to sweeten their smoothies. I highly recommend using Agave Nectar, it's like honey but lighter. It's low-glycemic which can be good for diabetics. A plus too is that it dissolves well in cold drinks. It's another option to have for those curious.

My question: Is a water an essential part of the benefits or can one substitute it with rice/almond milk for instance? thnxs
Tonia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:54 am      Reply with quote
Skippie wrote:
Tonia,

Do you use just one kind of fruit, because I use at least three kinds in a smoothie and sometimes four?

Yep! I use one apple and a whole lot of spinach/kale.

Your way is good. You're getting a better variety of nutrients than I am.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for your replies. On the green smoothie forum, someone asked about how many greens you should have and this was the answer:

Quote:
If you prefer to eat greens in a salad, Victoria estimates that you should consume at least 2 bunches of greens (or 6 packed cups) per day. If you drink your greens in blended form, then one bunch (3 to 4 cups) per day will be sufficient.

I think I would get that if I had two smoothies a day like I did in the beginning but since I've cut back to one a day, I'm pretty sure I need to up the amount of greens I'm using.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
My smoothie is about four or so cups worth - blended. It rather ends up being two smoothies in a way.
I load the blender up twice with whatever the leafy green is (spinach, kale, mixed greens/herbs)... I also tend to use cucumber and/or celery. I grow parsley all year round so the gets in there frequently.
Fruits are often berries, apple, a banana and my latest love is pineapple. It is my fav.

I may end up with more greens than fruit - not by weight probably but definitely by volume.

I also use flax but soon I'll be changing over to Chia or hemp seeds.

It feels so good eating (drinking) this way. I also drink lemon water (one full lemon a day) and have an antioxidant red miracle drink before bed.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:24 pm      Reply with quote
Anyone getting into soups???? Warm/hot smoothies that is?

I made a butternut squash tonight... YUM... and before I thinned it out to soup consistency... I added about 1/2 cup to my kids mac and cheese... and will actually add at least a cup next time as it went completely unnoticed...They had noodles with butternut squash, and whole steamed broccoli... mommy is HAPPY!

My favorite hot soups right now:

Butternut Squash... Mushroom... and broccoli. DH makes a wicked french onion... I have to speed up the process to see if I can make one for home QUICK! I think I've posted recipes before... let me know if you need it again...

Cold green smoothie in the morning... hot veggie smoothie at night... starting to be less and less room for anything that I probably shouldn't be eating! Shock

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:29 am      Reply with quote
Yes Claudia, I'm getting into soups! Especially now that the weather is turning colder. Inspired by your ideas of steaming veggies & blending them, I've made blended broccoli, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts soups (all of which sound kind of questionable, but are actually really good!) The cauliflower one sort of reminds me of potato soup, and the brussel sprouts reminds me of split pea. My skin & body are thanking me for the nutrition!
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:14 am      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:
Anyone getting into soups???? Warm/hot smoothies that is?

I made a butternut squash tonight... YUM... and before I thinned it out to soup consistency... I added about 1/2 cup to my kids mac and cheese... and will actually add at least a cup next time as it went completely unnoticed...They had noodles with butternut squash, and whole steamed broccoli... mommy is HAPPY!

My favorite hot soups right now:

Butternut Squash... Mushroom... and broccoli. DH makes a wicked french onion... I have to speed up the process to see if I can make one for home QUICK! I think I've posted recipes before... let me know if you need it again...

Cold green smoothie in the morning... hot veggie smoothie at night... starting to be less and less room for anything that I probably shouldn't be eating! Shock

I haven't done any hot soups, Claudia, but it's a great idea. I'd love to see some of your recipes or could you please point me to them. Thanks.
ClaudiaFE
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:43 am      Reply with quote
Well, I started to look for the recipes... but I think I can just type it faster... These are my 3 favorite... I've been changing them a bit to make them faster... (I really don't like cooking)

Broccoli Soup

Steam Broccoli, IN chicken (or other) broth, Once softened up, add broccoli and broth to blender. Add more broth if necessary to thin... Once smooth transfer back to pot. Add more broth, or milk to reach desired consistency. Shred a bit of cheddar into soup... allow to melt and become part of the soup. Salt and pepper to taste

Butternut Squash Soup

Slice squash lengthwise, scoop seeds. brush with EVOO, roast in oven at 375 for 45-55 minutes (fork should go into flesh easily)

Leave in shell (no reason to dirty another dish)

Chop up a medium sized onion. Caramelize (browning them quite well) in skillet with EVOO, and chicken stock (you don't need to add a ton of fat unless you want to!)

Once you've reached desired caramelization... scoop squash right into blender, add onions, more stock to thin... blend until smooth!

Back to skillet (I use a Deep one so I don't need a 2nd), and add more stock and milk to reach desired consistency... I find I don't need salt or pepper... you could add a dash of nutmeg.

OH, and a PRETHINNED, scoop added to mac and cheese is DELISH!!!! Much more rich and creamy. Add Steamed Broccoli, and maybe some shredded chicken breast...

Mushroom Soup:

Do the onions as above... Then add a bunch of chopped up mushrooms... you will want to add more liquid... so decide between a combo of extra EVOO, Chicken stock, or white wine... Allow the mushrooms to absorb the juices...

Then to the blender. Again, adding more stock to thin to desired consistency.

NOW... I made this with BEEF broth not too long ago, and left it THICK... AMAZING virtually fat free gravy...

Are you starting to get the idea? You can do this kind of combo with your favorite veges. My sister uses roasted red peppers... I have not tried... she loved it! I LOVE roasted asparagus (haven't tried as a soup... as it never makes it passed getting a squirt of lemon and sprinkling of parm. cheese! LOL!)

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:13 pm      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE, I have started using soups instead of cold smoothies since it has gotten colder outside. I've been using the recipes you posted earlier. My whole family loves them. We like the butternut squash, yellow squash, and broccoli.

I haven't tried the mushroom, yet, but it sounds wonderful.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:53 pm      Reply with quote
My blender does not do the hot soup thing so I'd have to resort to the old way but I love them so much. Thanks for the recipes Claudia.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:28 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah, the vita mix technically "cooks" soup. I have NO IDEA how hot it can get... although I did once accidentally warm up my cold green smoothie... and it was a bit gross!

I do most of my cooking in an oversized skillet, transfer to the blender... and then back to the skillet...

Have you ever looked at the book the "sneaky chef"? It's about ways to get more fruit and veges into a childs diet... she uses lots of blends in her recipes... although I haven't tried a single recipe.. the idea of the blends is great... hence my try with butternut squash and mac and cheese. (I've also tried carrots... but that gets kind of identified...and my kiddos will eat them raw anyway... blech!)

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:03 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, Claudia. I'm saving the recipes so I won't have to search for them. They sound wonderful and easy enough that I think I'll be able to handle them.
fat_swan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:26 am      Reply with quote
Thank you ClaudiaFE for your great recipes!

Does anyone know if the Blendtec can handle hot soups too? I've decided to get myself a blender for Christmas, but still can't choose between the 2! Embarassed Embarassed Thanks!

Asian. Near 30. Prone to broken caps, moles + freckles, large congested pores, hormonal cystic acne, flaky skin and fat puffy eyelids. Staples: Bioderma SS, Taz, Dr. Kassy's C, Skinoren, HQ, Cerave and growth factors-- but also trying EVERYTHING ELSE.....
Skippie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:38 am      Reply with quote
I've started using tomato paste in my smoothies in addition to tomatoes. There was a study done where people were given 5 tablespoons of tomato paste each day for 12 weeks. It was found that they had 30% increase in sun protection over those who were not on the tomato paste diet. Evidently, the heat processing involved in producing tomato paste increases the lycopene content which is what is providing the sun protection. Vitamin C is lost during the heating process, but that's a good reason to use both tomatoes and tomato paste. For anyone interested in these studies:

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press.office/press.release/item/?ref=1209390017

http://www.news.cornell.edu/chronicle/02/4.25.02/tomato_research.html

And if you've been following the acid/alkali thread, tomatoes are on the alkali list.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:22 am      Reply with quote
Toby and Kassy have the blendtec and I am certain you can make hot soups right in the blender. That's one reason it's pricey. And why I want it too Laughing I'd love to throw together pureed soups.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:29 am      Reply with quote
Yes, but don't feel that you have to have a blender that cooks... just as long as you can smooth things out to your desired consistency... you can always throw it back in a pot...

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
ClaudiaFE wrote:
Yes, but don't feel that you have to have a blender that cooks... just as long as you can smooth things out to your desired consistency... you can always throw it back in a pot...

I have a cheapo blender and it works very well on the blended soups.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:24 pm      Reply with quote
I like the idea of (at least some times) not using another pan or pot. Quick, easy and less mess. I've roasted squash in the oven and pureed it with my cuisinart blender. I'm going to give your recipes a whirl Claudia - thank you for sharing them.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:42 pm      Reply with quote
Let me know what you think... and what you change to make it yours... love any new idea!!!

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
IMCathy wrote:
Toby wrote:
Smoothie skin update here!!!!
Not only is the face looking better, the hands and wrist areas are too. My hands and wrist areas are small and sometimes the veins look protruding. As of this week...little over three weeks of green smoothies my hands and wrist areas are plump and youthful looking. The former protruding veins are laying down and my skin looks plumped up and firm. My mother used to always say to me when I wouldn't try my vegetables, "You don't know what you are missing" well she was right! Again I am utterly amazed!!!!Image

You know that also sounds like you are absorbing and holding healthy levels of hydration more now. I know you always drank enough water etc before- but I wonder if something in the smoothies you are making are helping to utilize all your water/fluid intake better?
I wondered if it was something like that too Cathy. I would love to know exactly what is going on here. Spinach,acai,and avocado are powerful super foods for the skin so I agree there is hydration but I wonder what else is in the mix Laughing Whatever it is keep it coming baby.....cuz I LIKE it! Really looks good on me Image

What are you using in your smoothie that may be helping with the veins? I have the same issue.
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
Peggotty,
These are my favorite smoothies. I do add a tablespoon of flaxseed oil and a scoop of acai powder. Also I add some white chia seeds. I am not sure which of these ingredients made my veins lay flat but whatever it was I am thankful. Very Happy

Dr. Oz Green Smoothie

•1 lemon 1/2 cup parsley,
•chopped 1 rib of celery
•2 big handfuls of Spinach
•1 pince of peeled ginger
•1 medium cucumber
•2 apples preferred amount of ice cubes (which is of course, optional)
I add stevia to taste(several teaspoons)

and my special is a Blueberry smoothie(my afternoon treat)

Blueberry Smoothie

1 1/2 cups blueberries
I/2 of an avocado(small dark one)
acai powder(up to you on the amount)
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 cup ice

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
I just ordered some spirulina and chlorella from iherb. Man -My nutrition habits keep getting wierder all the time. Laughing

Looks like I need some flax seed 'oil' too....

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:08 am      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
Peggotty,
These are my favorite smoothies. I do add a tablespoon of flaxseed oil and a scoop of acai powder. Also I add some white chia seeds. I am not sure which of these ingredients made my veins lay flat but whatever it was I am thankful. Very Happy

Dr. Oz Green Smoothie

•1 lemon 1/2 cup parsley,
•chopped 1 rib of celery
•2 big handfuls of Spinach
•1 pince of peeled ginger
•1 medium cucumber
•2 apples preferred amount of ice cubes (which is of course, optional)
I add stevia to taste(several teaspoons)

and my special is a Blueberry smoothie(my afternoon treat)

Blueberry Smoothie

1 1/2 cups blueberries
I/2 of an avocado(small dark one)
acai powder(up to you on the amount)
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 cup ice

Thanks so much!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:35 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |