Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dealing With Aging Hands?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Lemon
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:44 am      Reply with quote
I have been trying to pay more attention to my hands lately, as I don't want to end up being that old lady with a good face and hideous hands.

Just curious to see what everyone has done in this area, particularly if anyone has tips on how to maintain fat in your hands and thus avoid the skeletal look.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:58 am      Reply with quote
Not sure about maintaining fat as that's usually something I try to avoid. Laughing

However, I have recently decided to use whatever I use on my face on my hands as well. This is probably something we should do from the start but most of us don't until we notice our hands look older than our faces.

Also I've started using retin-a about 3 times a week. It's too early to tell if it's working but I expect it to help over time.
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:30 am      Reply with quote
LOL this is EDS and you know we have some threads with tips on this already. For me, one of the best things to do for your hands is a massage (which you can do yourself just by pinching and rolling the skin between your fingers) and of course dry brushing.

here are the threads with other tips though:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=31793

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?tid=26991

Hope they help!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:42 am      Reply with quote
Use Vivier vitamin C serum, AHA, sunblock and to have in your purse, Chantecaille retinol hand cream.
MarieIG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:53 am      Reply with quote
I use the same things on my hand that I use on my face. This includes serums with soy, vit c, copper but not at the same time as the C. I use my Retin A on my hands as well, and I always wear sunscreen. In addition I keep hand cream on my desk at work.

One of the brands I use Isomers, has recently come out with a redensifier cream, it's suppose to plump up fat in the skin. I haven't tried that yet - I'm not in a hurry to because I don't understand how, or if, it works. I will wait until I can read a number of reviews on it. If the reviews are positive, I will consider using this on the backs of my hands.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:29 am      Reply with quote
When I know I will commit to apply sunscreen on my hands regularly (which in it self will prevent many issue) I plan to us tazorac on them. I just forget about my hands and dont want to end up with hands that are worse off because I used taz and didn't use sunscreen.

Some people also do peels on their hands which I think is a great idea too.
MarieIG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
Ah, it's too late to edit. I also use my nutitone on the back of the hands, and when I was using the LED I used that on the back of the hands as well. If I peeled my face, I would peel the back of my hands.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
Like 'Marie', I also treat my hands to the same treatments/topicals that I use on my face/neck...

For a little something *extra*, this is a wonderful easy recipe that will soothe and moisturize not only your hands, but is great on your feet as well... (It's especially nice for these winter months!)

RICH + NOURISHING CREAM FOR HANDS + FEET

1 TBS Jojoba Oil
1 TBS Avocado Oil
1 TBS Coconut Oil
4 or 5 drops of Essential Oil of your choice (I'm partial to the citrus scents like tangerine, but sandalwood is lovely also.)
1/4 Cup Beeswax
1/4 Cup of Shea Butter

In a small saucepan I gently warm and mix the Beeswax + Shea till just barely melted (low heat). Now I slowly mix and incorporate the JJ, A + C, one at a time. (A small wire whisk works perfectly!) Now remove from heat, allow to cool while continuing to whisk, then add essential oil when it's cooled down.

It will set up thick so is best kept in a nice clean wide mouth jar. I use a tiny formulating spatula to scoop out what I need each time to avoid introducing bacteria.

*HINT* If you slather this on your hands, then put on rubber gloves and go about any cleaning/dish washing chores, the heat generated with hot water etc.. will make this absorb very well, and your hands will be as smooth and soft as a baby's patooty... Laughing

Hope you like it... Very Happy

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Bessie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, Kassy, for the recipe. I've been using plain coconut oil and, although it's pretty good, your combination of oils and beeswax is perfect (it's extremely cold and dry where I live so I need all the help I can get). This will be part of my regular routine. Cheers and happy holidays!
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:51 pm      Reply with quote
Lemon,
You are so smart to be thinking about taking care of your hands now. I have good skin never needed extra moisture during the years on my hands so I didn't give my hands any attention. I am now trying to make up for the neglect. The skin on my face is in good shape but my hands are starting to look old. Kassy's advice and others here is very good. I am stated to put a focus on my hands and follow suggestions from this thread. Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:00 am      Reply with quote
I use a homemade Niacinamide serum on my hands and sunscreen in the day time. This has helped to reduce/minimize those brown age spots (more effective even than hydroquinone/AHAs). There are some recipes for Niacinamide serums on the DIY section of this forum. Mine is formulated with a bit of glycerine to help with moisturizing.
Lemon
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:01 am      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
Lemon,
You are so smart to be thinking about taking care of your hands now. I have good skin never needed extra moisture during the years on my hands so I didn't give my hands any attention. I am now trying to make up for the neglect. The skin on my face is in good shape but my hands are starting to look old. Kassy's advice and others here is very good. I am stated to put a focus on my hands and follow suggestions from this thread. Wink

Toby, how much damage do you think is moisture versus UV related?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:56 am      Reply with quote
I am sure the UV is the major issue.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:13 am      Reply with quote
Lemon,

Since you are young and looking for maintenance rather than trying to reverse things. I would swipe the remains of what I use for my face on the back of my hands before I wash my hands. Meaning for example I would slather on moisturizer on my face (and neck), then swipe the "remaining" stuff on my arms+hands, then go wash my hands.

And yes I agree with Toby, UV is a major issue. The insides of arms always look and feel much better than the back of arms.
pal
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:20 am      Reply with quote
Skincare wrote:
Use Vivier vitamin C serum, AHA, sunblock and to have in your purse, Chantecaille retinol hand cream.

This is pretty much what I do, except with different brands.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:44 am      Reply with quote
pal wrote:
Skincare wrote:

This is pretty much what I do, except with different brands.

Excellent!
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
circus wrote:
I would swipe the remains of what I use for my face on the back of my hands

That's what I do with all of my face serums and oils. They are so darned expensive I don't want to waste a drop. I put some on the backs of my hands and then apply to my neck. I only use a couple of fingertips to apply the stuff to my face. Call me Scrooge! Laughing
Lemon
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone for your contributions. There are a lot of good suggestions for keeping away spots and dryness. Does anyone know how to keep hands plump?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:21 am      Reply with quote
I would think that in conjunction with applying topicals (and Kassy's receipe mentioned above looks great - I'm going to give that a try at some point!), the other thing to do is actually massage it into your hands.

Our hands are often neglected, and doing little mini massages on your hands when applying a cream or serum, can really benefit both the skin and tissue there. I tend to do a mini-FlexEffect kind of technique, where I pinch the skin between the thumb and forefinger, and just roll it between the fingers/thumb.

It takes a little while longer for the results to show up, but just as massage thickens the facial tissue, it can definitely do the same for the hands.
Lemon wrote:
Thanks everyone for your contributions. There are a lot of good suggestions for keeping away spots and dryness. Does anyone know how to keep hands plump?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:10 am      Reply with quote
The best thing I ever did for my hands was use a derma roller on them. Once a week for six weeks, and feed the with avocado oil during the treatment. It took years off them and the effect has lasted very well, for over a year now.
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:37 am      Reply with quote
catski wrote:
The best thing I ever did for my hands was use a derma roller on them. Once a week for six weeks, and feed the with avocado oil during the treatment. It took years off them and the effect has lasted very well, for over a year now.

What size dermaroller did you use? TIA

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
catski wrote:

I second this...in fact the DR worked better on my hands than on my face. Removed age/sun spots etc. In my case I used the 1.5mm.

rebecca

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
Wow - a 1.5 dermaroller on your hands... I don't own one but now you have me thinking about it again.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
I used the derma rollers on my face, hands, and legs. I had very little reaction from using even the 1.5 on my face but when it came to my hands and legs!!!it hurt and for a while left needle marks Shock Who would have thought my hands and legs would be more sensitive than my face Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
Toby - Did you see long-term results from the dermaroller on hands (and face)?

Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:59 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |