Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
*~~~~~~~DIY skincare recipe & discussion thread~~~~~~~~*
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
katebargold
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
I post on another forum and posted a thread about DIY skin care which was well received. Recently some posters have questioned the efficacy of Vit C DIY serums and said they can cause damage. Does anyone have some links that I can post to counter this argument?
I have been making my own for 4 months using the lovely Kassy's recipe and am very happy with the outcome and have never had a problem with oxidisation.
What's more my wallet is most grateful!

5% products discount

Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:01 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Does anyone have a recipe for a Vit. A cream?
I would like to formulate the equivalent of Renova and I've been searching but so far I haven't found one.
Any help? Suggestions?

Hi Bellezza,

Good question, and I had been wondering the same thing myself as I've been trying to come up with a good non-acid A & C recipe for post-dermarolling.

I ended up using the below formulation for my very first roll last night, and it was non-irritating and felt good on my skin. I'm not sure how it compares to renova, but if you have these ingredients on hand, this is pretty simple to make. I'm interested in any feedback on this recipe as well, as it's the first one I've tried to make without using someone else's measurements, and I'm curious to know what DIY'ers out there think of my measurements (i.e., too much or too little of the MAP and Vit A?). I was trying to go for about 10% of MAP and RP for my cream, and I'm hoping I got the calculations right:

.75 tsp Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vitamin C)
1 oz Cetaphil face lotion
5-6 ml retinyl palmitate (Vitamin A)

Put your bottle of retinyl palmitate in a warm water bath to liquefy it. While waiting for the RP to liquefy, mix the MAP and 1.5 tsp water in a small glass until MAP is completely dissolved. Add the MAP to the Cetaphil lotion and stir to combine. Last, add your retinyl palmitate to the cream. Stir well to combine. Refrigerate whatever portion will not be used within a week, since the retinyl palmitate oxidizes easily.

This recipe does not use the retinol form of vitamin A. It uses retinyl palmitate, which your body has to convert to retinol and then to retinoic acid before the body can use it. Sorry if you already know all this, but I didn't want you to run out and buy this stuff if you're looking for a stronger/more active form of Vitamin A. The other con seems to be that retinyl palmitate oxidizes easily. On the other hand, this form of vitamin A is not irritating to my skin and is supposed to be good to use post-roll if you're into dermarolling. This made almost 2 oz of cream for me.

HTH!

KKL

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
KKL, your formula sounds great and so simple! I will try it. First I have to buy Retinyl Palmitate and I need to wait till I compile a list of other needed actives.
Thank you!
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
20 years even in plastic and some air and moisture are bound to get in causing pro-oxidation and the yellowing, my personal
opinion I would not trust any ascorbic acid that old!

Most everyone makes serums in small batches because LAA Ascorbic Acid oxidizes quickly when mixed with water and exposed to oxygen, even when purchased from cosmetic manufacturers LAA serums are prone to oxidation!

Yellowing is a sign that any serum or cream has started to oxidize, if the crystals/powder has started to yellow I say they are oxidizing already!

IMHO
DM

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:00 pm      Reply with quote
Yikes - why would you use anything on your skin that old Question

5% products discount

Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:50 am      Reply with quote
This is my first post here. I have been a long time lurker and finally joined. In my quest to find DIY natural products I found this thread. I am looking forward to trying some of the DIY recipes.

With that said, I just wanted to post about my experience with my home made vitamin c serum which I have been making for 2 years now. I only use water and crushed vitamin c tablets. I buy the tablets that only contain ascorbic acid. I put my tablets in my Magic Bullet and grind them that way. Then I mix that powder with filtered water and put it in a small brown bottle. I have been using this every morning for the past two years and my skin has dramatically improved. All of my sun and brown spots have completely disappeared and my fine lines have become much smoother and my skin glows. The difference is amazing. This is by far one of the best products for your skin.

I no longer buy moisturizer. I use a drop of sweet almond oil and smooth it over my face after applying my vitamin c serum. Sweet almond oil is by far the best moisturizer I have used with incredible results. It makes your skin glowy and soft. Love it.

I am huge fan of natural skin care and am always looking for new recipes to try.
live2act2

Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:48 pm      Reply with quote
Does anyone have any recipes for homemade conditioner? I am trying to start a business of homemade cosmetics (The Recipe Index has come in very handy). However, I can't find any conditioner recipes anywhere! It is is "green" that would be even better since that is one of my main goals in this company.
Thanks!

Also, Here is my bath bomb recipe:

Dry ingredients:
•1 cup Baking soda
•1/2 cup Corn Starch
•1/4 cup Epsom Salt
•1/2 cup Citric Acid

Wet ingredients:
•2-3/4 tablespoons Almond oil
•3/4 tablespoon Water
•1/4 teaspoon Borax (optional)
•1-1/2 teaspoon fragrance or essential oil
•Colorant

Instructions:
1.Mix all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
2.Then in a separate dish or cup mix wet ingredients.
3.Combine the two.
4.Whisk quickly to prevent premature fizzing. The mix doesn’t really even look wet, but don’t worry.
5. Press into molds. (Use Ice cube freezer trays If you have no real molds)
6. Allow bombs to harden overnight.

Variable: If you wish, add the colorant after whisking. This requires whisking for a while longer and adding more dye than usual, but looks really great when fizzing. If you do add the color this way, It looks better If you use a secandary color.
Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
live2act2 wrote:
Does anyone have any recipes for homemade conditioner? I am trying to start a business of homemade cosmetics (The Recipe Index has come in very handy). However, I can't find any conditioner recipes anywhere! It is is "green" that would be even better since that is one of my main goals in this company.
Thanks!

Also, Here is my bath bomb recipe:

Dry ingredients:
•1 cup Baking soda
•1/2 cup Corn Starch
•1/4 cup Epsom Salt
•1/2 cup Citric Acid

Wet ingredients:
•2-3/4 tablespoons Almond oil
•3/4 tablespoon Water
•1/4 teaspoon Borax (optional)
•1-1/2 teaspoon fragrance or essential oil
•Colorant

Instructions:
1.Mix all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
2.Then in a separate dish or cup mix wet ingredients.
3.Combine the two.
4.Whisk quickly to prevent premature fizzing. The mix doesn’t really even look wet, but don’t worry.
5. Press into molds. (Use Ice cube freezer trays If you have no real molds)

Variable: If you wish, add the colorant after whisking. This requires whisking for a while longer and adding more dye than usual, but looks really great when fizzing. If you do add the color this way, It looks better If you use a secandary color.

Since you are starting a business, do you plan on sharing the profits from any of the contributed recipes you are "borrowing" from the members of EDS? That would only seem fair to me.

Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
Lacy53, that is a very good point. Thank you!
However, I was looking over the logistics and I realized, my business would flunk(for many, many reasons) and it just wouldn't end well. Starting that business was just a spur-of-the-moment idea because I was so excited about joining EDS. However, I would have done that if I had actually started my company.
Thanks!
katewilson
5% products discount

Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
Girls,

Does anyone have a simple all natural cleanser mike DIY recipe for normal skin type? Thanks in advance Smile
Pollyanna
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
I was just browsing through this forum looking at the UK suppliers for DIY. Most of them I checked were more for essential oils and soap making which I am not so interested in.
While searching the net I came across this site which looks amazing...
Thought I would share for those of you who might be in the UK as the prices were reasonable for already made serums and creams plus they also sell the SKB and the Hyaluronic acid, DMAE,pomegrante seed oil etc..for DIY
http://www.activeformulas.com/Active_Formulas/quickshop.html

sorry if someone has already posted this site- I'm still new-ish Embarassed

Female CANADA 49 Brunette,Fair/normal skin- Gadgets: Derminator, AALS. Skin care: DIY Vit C serum, Osmotics Copper Prime 5, Valmont Renewing Pack, Skinceuticals Retinol, Charlotte Tilbury Magic Cream. Internal: Tons of supplements ;o and some much needed bioidentical hormones
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
Pollyanna wrote:
I was just browsing through this forum looking at the UK suppliers for DIY. Most of them I checked were more for essential oils and soap making which I am not so interested in.
While searching the net I came across this site which looks amazing...
Thought I would share for those of you who might be in the UK as the prices were reasonable for already made serums and creams plus they also sell the SKB and the Hyaluronic acid, DMAE,pomegrante seed oil etc..for DIY
http://www.activeformulas.com/Active_Formulas/quickshop.html

sorry if someone has already posted this site- I'm still new-ish Embarassed

Great find Polly, and welcome Very Happy

Another UK gal was just asking for exactly this info, so I'll give her the link.

Looks like a scaled down smaller version of 'skinactives', complete with forum link.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
hippie_sotong
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:02 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Carekate,

I'm looking at your recipe for silk dust powder and I am interested to give it try - i'm asian and getting rice starch is quite simple for me.

I have a question about the herbal extracts used in the recipe. I buy often from mountainroseherbs.com but I have not seen the herbs you mentioned below in "extract" form. They only sell the herbs in dried powder form right? Where can I get the extract version?

Quoting part of your recipe:
Quote:
• 1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Silk Dust powder (see below for link to order from TKB Trading website);
• 1 1/2 teaspoon corn starch (note: if you decide to include the rice starch, cut amount of corn starch used in half to 3/4 teaspoon instead);
• 3/4 teaspoon rice starch, optional
• 1 ½ teaspoon silica microspheres (available from TKB Trading website);
• 7 drops Calendula extract;
• 5 drops Witch hazel extract;
• 3 drops Rosemary extract, optional
• 3 drops Daisy extract, optional (I didn’t include this in my version);
• 3 drops Sage extract, optional (I didn’t include this in my version);
• 15 drops of any essential oil (or combination of EOs) of your choice – i.e.: lavender, rose, lemon, etc.
april_rain
5% products discount

Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
Hmmm... what kinds of things could I make with any of the following ingredients?

- Bio-oil
- Vitamin E Oil
- Vitamin E gel
- Tea Tree Oil
- Aspirin
- Lemon Juice
- L-Ascorbic Acid
- Sour Cream
- Honey
- Castor Oil

Hopefully, it would be something that would help with dry skin, post-acne pigmentation, and that does not cause acne either. And any additional ingredients required would be easily obtained at the grocery store or health food store (and isn't expensive!).

Any suggestions?
Anxious
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
april_rain wrote:
Hmmm... what kinds of things could I make with any of the following ingredients?

- Bio-oil
- Vitamin E Oil
- Vitamin E gel
- Tea Tree Oil
- Aspirin
- Lemon Juice
- L-Ascorbic Acid
- Sour Cream
- Honey
- Castor Oil

Hopefully, it would be something that would help with dry skin, post-acne pigmentation, and that does not cause acne either. And any additional ingredients required would be easily obtained at the grocery store or health food store (and isn't expensive!).

Any suggestions?

Anxious

You came to the right place, I love this stuff... Laughing

(1) You can make a lovely once a week face mask with;

- 2 or 3 drops tea tree oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 TBS honey

Cleanse, finish by applying a hot/damp cloth for 1/2 minute, apply mask, relax for 15 to 30 minutes, than remove with warm/damp cloth.

(2) Here's a great mask for once a week when you want to exfoliate and unclog your pores;

- dissolve 3 or 4 aspirin in 1 tsp distilled water
- add 2 TBS sour cream to that and stir.

Cleanse, finish by applying a hot/damp cloth for 1/2 minute, apply mask, relax for 15 to 30 minutes, then remove with warm/damp cloth.

(3) Simple OCM (oil cleansing method) for really getting those pores clean!

- 1 TBS castor oil
- 1 TBS olive oil (if you have on hand, otherwise 1 tsp each of 'bio' + 'vit E' oils)

Cleanse, leave skin moist and warm, apply oils and massage well to face and neck for 5 or so minutes. Remove thoroughly with nice warm cloth. (Scrupulously clean hands for this!)

(4) Simple + Easy 15% Vitamin C Serum (1oz)

- 3 tsp distilled water (this is a must and you can get a gallon in the supermarket for about $1.50)
- 1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid (you'll dissolve this in *warmed* distilled water. Stir well and often. In another little glass proceed with the rest of the ingredients.
- 1/2 tsp Bio Oil (which you will mix into)
- 1/2 tsp Honey
- 1 1/2 tsp of any simple face cream or lotion you have on hand that DOESN'T contain green tea. (An aloe gel would do if you have that.)

Slowly mix the water portion into the oil/cream portion continually stirring till it's all incorporated. Place in a dark container, keep in fridge, and use within a month for best results. (If you don't have something dark, you can easily just cover what you have with 'reynolds wrap'.)

Now if you get yourself a 12oz container of "CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion" (for about $10 bucks in the drugstore), you'll have not only a great moisturizer, but the semi DIY possibilities will be endless..

Have fun!

ETA:.. I wasn't sure exactly what the "vitamin E gel" you referred to is. If you list the details/ingredients, I'll try to give you other suggestions!

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
april_rain
5% products discount

Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:00 pm      Reply with quote
Very Happy Thanks for the ideas! I am going to try the Vitamin C serum one for sure and I will let you know how it goes Wink
erg
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:29 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone used Arbutin or CoQ10 in a DIY cream or serum?

I want to add some simple actives in a base cream.

thanks

Emily

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
I bought the HA powder but most of the recipes here are for HA serum. Can someone tell me how much of HA should I dissolve in water to get a 1% HA?

I bought the HA from skinactives
april_rain
5% products discount

Wed May 05, 2010 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:

(4) Simple + Easy 15% Vitamin C Serum (1oz)

- 3 tsp distilled water (this is a must and you can get a gallon in the supermarket for about $1.50)
- 1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid (you'll dissolve this in *warmed* distilled water. Stir well and often. In another little glass proceed with the rest of the ingredients.
- 1/2 tsp Bio Oil (which you will mix into)
- 1/2 tsp Honey
- 1 1/2 tsp of any simple face cream or lotion you have on hand that DOESN'T contain green tea. (An aloe gel would do if you have that.)

Slowly mix the water portion into the oil/cream portion continually stirring till it's all incorporated. Place in a dark container, keep in fridge, and use within a month for best results. (If you don't have something dark, you can easily just cover what you have with 'reynolds wrap'.)

Now if you get yourself a 12oz container of "CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion" (for about $10 bucks in the drugstore), you'll have not only a great moisturizer, but the semi DIY possibilities will be endless..

A few followup questions:
- How vital is it to store this in the fridge? What will happen if it isn't?
- For the lotion, would it be okay if it contains glycolic acid?
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 06, 2010 11:44 am      Reply with quote
april_rain wrote:

- How vital is it to store this in the fridge? What will happen if it isn't?

There is no preservative in it, only the bit of stability the oil offers. If you keep it a long while, and it reaches the 2nd stage of oxidation (discolored), you will be applying an oxidized product, that will generate free radicals which will harm and age your skin. :

- For the lotion, would it be okay if it contains glycolic acid?

Generally speaking yes, but you need to consider all ingredients and be sure the're compatible.

evescafe
5% products discount

Fri May 07, 2010 2:01 am      Reply with quote
Hi all,

I am a new member for this forum. I am just excited to see this much of skin care recipes...

Hats off to you ladies..

For my part I would like to write a home made skin care recipe..

Try this homemade facial mask once in a week.

Mix ½ cup curd, 1tsp honey, 1tsp milk powder, 2 drops sandalwood essential oil.

Apply it evenly on the face and leave on for 20 minutes, splash with cool water.

Hope this will be helpful..

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 07, 2010 3:43 am      Reply with quote
Hi guys,

I just wanted to ask how long one can keep a bottle of distilled/deionised water, once it has been opened ?

thanks

Jackie xx
DarkMoon
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 07, 2010 7:28 am      Reply with quote
Jackie284 wrote:
Hi guys,

I just wanted to ask how long one can keep a bottle of distilled/deionised water, once it has been opened ?

thanks

Jackie xx

It comes in Gallon jugs only and I keep it capped and have never had it go bad. Just make sure you keep the top on and store it either in a cupboard, pantry or the fridge. Smile

Fri May 07, 2010 9:10 am      Reply with quote
Hello Smile

Can anyone please suggest me some cold emulsifier for DIY without having to use heat? I'm thinking to use such emulsifers when making DIY with ingredients that cannot be heated. I heard of polysorbate 20/60/80. Is it a good choice?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Jasmin K A

Fri May 07, 2010 9:16 am      Reply with quote
Hii, im new here. These DIY recipes are great! No frills, just smart, to-the-point, serious skincare! I'd luv to make my own skincare products coz this way i can control what goes onto my skin Smile

I wanna try all these recipes! im excited! Especially the pumpkin peel and vit c serum.

I just made my own version:

Salicylic/green tea toner coz the ACV had a strong odour i did not like.
So i made one using strong brewed green tea about 30 ml plus 3 crushed aspirins ( Salicylic 1%) i should add more to make it 2%.

So im using that after i wash my face and i'll let u know how it goes.

And does anyone have a cleanser recipe for oily skin with mild acne?? Thanx a lot Smile

Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:42 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |